Start by marking “The Boy on a Black Horse” as Want to Read:
The Boy on a Black Horse

Nancy Springer

The Boy on a Black Horse

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  86 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Intrigued by the mysterious and angry Romany boy who joins her class, thirteen-year-old Gray finds that he shares her love of horses but harbors a dark secret.
Published January 1st 1994 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about The Boy on a Black Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy on a Black Horse

Rebecca
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My rating for this book is probably based off of nostalgia and the fact it was my first book. In 4th or 5th grade, we had to pick out a book to read. I picked this one because the cover looked cool. I never really read books before, but I couldn't put this one down! I would actually spend my entire recess and any other chance I could to read it to the point my friends started to complain. It took me a week or two to finish, and immediately after, I asked the Principal if I could have it. I said ...more
Kylee Murphy
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every one who has a soft spot for horses, and teens who care for their families and each other
I remember reading this in Middle school. Of course It's a struggle to get into a book for me but I read every inch of this book and loved it. Too bad I can't find it anywhere :sad face:
Deanna Schrock
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Boy On A Black Horse by Nancy Springer starts off with a girl named gray talking about how she first saw the mysterious boy and it tells about how this boy slowly comes into her life. Gray is a simple girl who has had lots of loss in her life and she gets over it by riding horses. The mysterious boy she meets finally reveals his secrets to her.

When my book first starts it starts when gray first sees the mysterious boy she goes into talking about him and wondering where he came from and why
Emmanuel
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Intrigued by the mysterious and angry Romany boy who joins her class, thirteen-year-old horse-crazy Gray finds that he shares her love of horses but harbors a dark secret of his own. (synopsis via Amazon)

This is one of my favorite books of all time. I read this book for the first time 4 years ago for a project, but I remember just falling in love with not only the plot but the characters as well. And although the book has some shakes here and there, it’s a fantastic read. It’s really quite sad t
Crystal Mccallie
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. What a hidden gem. I picked this book up at a library used book sale and tossed it into my 25 pound grocery bag full of books. I liked the cover, I like horses, I have lots of kids that love to read and I love to read to them. When I sorted through my bag of books, found this one, and read the summary..totally intrigued! I will not, however, be reading this one to my kids until they are a bit older. Some of the content became a bit mature, not in a nasty way. The story vividly told of some ...more
Roma
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It would have been easier for me to move on if it was at least 800 pages long but no the author has to make it 166 pages only. It was THAT good but it was THAT short. Those two words does not fit each other making the book unsatisfactory. Still, the whole plot was good actually so i gave it a 5. I am hoping for a sequel though.
Rena Sherwood
Springer tries too hard to write an "important" book about domestic abuse and runaway kids. She leaves way too many questions unanswered for this to be satisfying. On the plus side, this is one of the only books I know where a Barb is the main horse character.
Amanda
May 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-years
My two-star rating probably isn't fair given that it's been nearly ten years since I read this. I honestly don't even remember that much about it, so it must have not made much of a dent. I'm sure it's a perfectly fantastic novel, just maybe not for me when I was fifteen.
Margaret Pinard
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I just came across this book again and remembered loving it as a teen. Boy on a Black Horse and Dream of the Stone were two of my favorite reads as a young misunderstood, lovesick girl! Highly recommended.
E.L.
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books when i was growing up.
Alexandra Lindner
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!
Strain
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites growing up. I want to find and read it again as an adult
Jessica
The UHQ Nasanta
Feb 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

BIO -- NANCY SPRINGER

Nancy Springer has passed the fifty-book milestone, having written that many novels for adults, young adults and children, in genres including mythic fantasy, contemporary fiction, magical realism, horror, and mystery -- although she did not realize she wrote mystery until she won the Edgar Allan Poe Award from the Mystery Writers of America two years in succession. DARK LIE
More about Nancy Springer