Start by marking “For an Architecture of Reality” as Want to Read:
For an Architecture of Reality

For an Architecture of Reality

0930829050|9780930829056. For an Architecture of Reality published in the year 1992. The author of this book is Michael Benedikt . We have a dedicated page displaying collection of Michael Benedikt books here. This is the Paperback version of the title "For an Architecture of Reality ". For an Architecture of Reality is currently Available with us.
Published January 1st 1992 by Lumen Books (first published September 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about For an Architecture of Reality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For an Architecture of Reality

Maxwell Leer
Mar 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
great book about the importance of "real" architecture; not "garlands that are not garlands" (ex: Michael graves building in downtown portland). this book really pushed the envelope of my understanding on why turn of the century industrial warehouse buildings are such amazingly adaptable creations. contrast to the dry-wall, glass-facade skyscraper. fit to last a maximum of eighty dreary years, with little to no hope for retrofit, while our warehouses will reinvent themselves for centuries. bened ...more
Eileen
Although I may not agree with all the claims made in this book, it really is an amazing read. Michael Benedikt's observations have really changed the way I view the relationship between art and reality. This made for a wonderful introduction to architectural theory and I would strongly recommend giving this small book a read.
Boman
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
easy read since text is on every other page, but overall rather presumptuous. he doesn't really provide enough detail to analyze arguments.
Peter
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Michael Benedikt’s manifesto deals with postmodernism and the disconnection from reality. He argues that an architecture of high realism is necessary to provide presence, significance, materiality and emptiness. These are the concepts that describe high realism in architecture and the author defends this throughout his work.
Michael
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Back in my early nineties undergrad days, a few of my colleagues embraced Benedikt’s extended essay as something of a Bible. Inspired, I ran out, located it in a used bookshop, purchased it, and promptly sat down to read all 68 pages about 18 years later. This was, therefore, a tad out of date (as is this “review” since I read it like three months ago and I’ve been to Vegas since…). However, as I was somewhat conscious around the time this was penned and I have indeed read a few books in the int ...more
Michael
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
get it, read it, believe in reality
Jeremy
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A short treatise on what is reality from an architect professor's point of view, this is an enlightening, quick read that I am already planning to read again and again in the years to come.
Budur
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I enjoyed reading it. Though, I believe that each architectural style has a different understanding of reality.
Brian Dillon
Apr 05, 2012
Scott Corey
Jan 27, 2013
Nisha
rated it did not like it
Feb 10, 2012
  • The Situationist City
  • Complexity and Contradiction in Architecture
  • Atmospheres: Architectural Environments. Surrounding Objects
  • Programs and Manifestoes on 20th-Century Architecture
  • Architecture Without Architects: A Short Introduction to Non-Pedigreed Architecture
  • The Eyes of the Skin: Architecture and the Senses
  • Questions Of Perception: Phenomenology Of Architecture
  • Experiencing Architecture
  • Theorizing a New Agenda for Architecture:: An Anthology of Architectural Theory 1965 - 1995
  • Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises