Start by marking “Little Blue Truck” as Want to Read:
Little Blue Truck

Little Blue Truck

(Little Blue Truck)

Beep! Beep! Beep! Meet Blue. A muddy country road is no match for this little pick up--that is, until he gets stuck while pushing a dump truck out of the muck. Luckily, Blue has made a pack of farm animal friends along his route. And they're willing to whatever it takes to get their pal back on the road.
Filled with truck sounds and animals noises, here is a rollicking hom
Published May 1st 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Little Blue Truck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Blue Truck

Start your review of Little Blue Truck
Dan Schwent
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, 2020-kids-books
My son has at least a hundred books at this point, which is impressive considering he's not yet six months old. I've read this one three or four times while trying to keep him occupied. While cute, this is not one of my favorites.

While written in verse, the author plays fast and loose with the number of syllables per line at times, making it a little awkward when I half sing it aloud to him. I like the little blue truck, the green frog, and the others. The yellow dump truck is an asshole, thoug
Alex
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: COMMIES
Shelves: children, china
A dump truck gets stuck in the mud; plucky little blue truck can only get him out with the help of all his friends. At the end we've learned something about kindness and teamwork.

little_blue_truck

Or...have we?

In the end it's the addition of the little green frog who pushes them over the edge; that last little bit is enough to help the dump truck.

litlte_toad

Or...is it?

Let's tell this story another way.
A mighty machine can only be moved by the combined strength of every citizen. Whatever their individual strengths, all mus
Jon Nakapalau
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book that teaches children the value of friendship!
Jessica
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, picture-books
My toddler is obsessed with this book. We have to read it every morning as soon as he wakes up. He's three, and he's been going through that phase where they won't sit still and you can't read to them, and then suddenly WHAM he loves this book and can't get enough. I usually have to read it, then Little Owl Lost, Sheep in a Jeep, and then Little Blue Truck again. And that's okay! All the rhymes scan, I love the art, and it's not annoying! Hooray for board books that a mommy can read over and ove ...more
Carrie
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 stars for the experience of this book...I sang it. While reading it aloud my daughter said it reminded her of a country song hahaha, so I turned it into one and sang the whole book. We had some laughs. So the memories created gave it 5 stars.

The book it's self 4.
Bea
Too preachy but cute; good rhyming though the author doesn't know a bay horse from a brown horse (or maybe it's the illustrator who doesn't); simple story line; toddlers and threes enjoy the pictures and the word play and enjoy reading it over and over.
Jay Sandover
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolute masterpiece.
A lot depends on a helping hand from a few good friends.
Let's arrange our society around this message.
Laura Scribner
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yeah, that’s right. I’m giving myself credit for reading this book. A baby book, hard pages and all. And I’m giving it five whole stars. Because this was one of the least-dumb baby books I’ve read, and we’ve been reading a lot of them lately.

Don’t be hating. That’s for big fat dump(truck)s.

We’re lovers in this family, just like the little blue truck, bitches.
Kathryn
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a treat! I love the blend of farm animals, vehicles, and rhymes--all popular with little ones; when combined in such a winsome and skilled fashion, with Schertle's fine text and McElmurry's adorable, expressive illustrations, they make one great story about friendship, compassion, humility and staying true to yourself. This would make a superb read-aloud!
Chinook
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kait
We have been reading this a lot lately. It's so cute. Love the rhyming, love the illustrations, love the story.
Emm
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a charming little book this is with a lesson to little ones on how being kind, friendly, and caring brings its own rewards. The rhymes and the country setting make me automatically add a twang to my delivery as I'm reading it to my son.

Sheep said, "Baaa!"
Cow said, "Moo!"
"Oink!" said a piggy.
"Beep!" said Blue.

It sort of makes me feel like I'm calling out a square dance which adds to the entertainment value. No doubt this one will age well, I can see my little twanging along and singing out t
Kristin
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun, rollicking read about the blue truck and how his friendliness paid off. My 2 year old and 5 year old quote sections of this book and flex and wink like the big, green toad. The detailed illustrations add depth to the straight forward storyline -- you can see the storm moving in, and by the time the problem's resolved, all is sunny again.
Denise Lauron
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a cute little book about the importance of friends! I adored it and look forward to reading the sequels.
Kathy
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story about working together.
Laura McLoughlin
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ok. I don't like that the dump truck is such a jerk. Maybe it could have just gotten stuck in the mud without being mean to the LBT and all the animals. It just feels weird and kinda preachy to make the dump truck mean. Otherwise, this is a nice little story full of animal and car noises sure to entertain your little ones.
Crystal Allen
Feb 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who likes kids books
I LOVE this book. It has such wonderful rhythm and rhyme making it the perfect book to read aloud.

"Horn went 'Beep!'
Engine purred.
Friendliest sounds
you ever heard."

Little Blue Truck is friends with all of the barnyard animals, he is always nice to everyone. Meanwhile big, mean Dumptruck has no time for anyone smaller than him and thinks he's the biggest, most important thing around. Then Dumptruck gets stuck in the mud and since he's been so mean no one wants to help him out...

"His heavy-du
Amy Forrester
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Little Blue Truck drives along sleepy country roads. As he drives he makes friends with the animals along the road. His horn beeps at each one and they croak, cow, oink, or baaa back. Suddenly, a huge yellow dump truck zooms rudely past the Little Blue Truck. Unfortunately, rain has turned the road to mud and the dump truck is soon spinning his wheels in the muck. Little Blue Truck to the rescue!

The illustrations use a palette of browns, yellows, and greens to depict the countryside, which m
AJNels
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-the-kid
On the importance of not being a jerk. Plus, farm animals!
Michael
The Little Blue Truck drives through the country, making friends with all the animals. This comes in handy when he gets stuck in a mud puddle trying to help out a big, yellow truck who doesn't see the value of friendship at first.

Filled with rhymes and the opportunity to mimic animal sounds from frogs to goats to sheep to ducks, this one was a big hit with Shortcake. It's a fun book with colorful illustrations that has a good message in there about friendship. I could see us reading this one sev
Kimberly
I don't know how I missed reading this one before today! This book is adorable. Fantastic rhythm, great sound effects, and a lovely story to boot. I suspect this will become a favorite in our house.

Used in "Cars and Trucks" storytime 5/23/17.
Marieke
Really nice story with great animal sounds to make. Good lesson on friendship, arrogance, and helping each other out. Fabulous illustrations, too.
Big Max
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beep, Beep Beep! With the help of all your friends anything is possible.
Hannah Timm
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Student Name: Hannah Timm Date Submitted: 4/30/19
Book Title: The Little Blue Truck Lexile: 390

Personal Response:
I read The Little Blue Truck to the boy I babysit every night I babysit. It is his favorite book, and it’s a very good book to be so. The book teaches a lot about kindness and respect. Sawyer likes the book because it is about a truck and has animals in it that he can call out their sound as you read about them. I like the book because it gets to the point and has a good theme for tod
Shikara Walker
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: week-3
This book is a great example of how we should treat others with kindness and what difference it makes when we do. The Little Blue Truck takes time out of his day to speak to all his friends as he passes by unlike a big dump truck that has much more important things to do! When the dump truck finds himself in trouble, he ends up without a helping hand until The Little Blue Truck comes along. Text-To-Self Connection: No matter how big or small we think we are or seem to be, we are not and this boo ...more
Christopher Mitchell
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has a very poignant and thought provoking plot - how a friendship is created among a group of farm animals and a blue pick up truck.

This book relies on the supposition that a blue truck makes a “beep” sound, instead of the oft relied upon “honk” or “toot toot”, however I found this dalliance to quickly become second nature by the time the titular blue truck meets the goat.

The main plot point is a great build up of suspense in a crisis moment where a larger yellow truck gets stuck in
Jordan
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun little book with some bumpitty-bump-bump verse and a lot of fun sounds—both animal and machine. I like that the sounds are incorporated into the rhyme scheme. Also has a nice Good Samaritan-esque message about extending help and friendship even to those who don’t deserve it or who have spited us before. Great illustrations, too.

I’ve read this to my son, whom we got this for before he was born, and my daughter, who’s been enjoying it since before my son got here, about a thousand times. They’
The Celtic Rebel (Richard)
This has become my two grandson's favorite book. I usually have to read it at least 3 or 4 times in a row before they let me quit. The illustrations are wonderful and the story just shows that even if your little with the help of your friends you can accomplish a lot. Also lets us know that a little kindness to others even if it is just a hello goes a long way too.
Kelsey
Age: Infant-Preschool

A friendly truck calls upon his animal friends to help him and an aggressive--but now helpless--dump truck out of a patch of mud. Animal noises, rhyming text, a kindly protagonist, and a sweet message to help those in need all make this an exemplary circle time book.
Jack
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Trucks, animals and learning about friendship. Beep, beep, beep!!
Donna Davis
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those with tiny children in their lives.
Shelves: children
My grandson is not yet two, but he's figured out what the best thing in the world, aside from his family, must be, and that's trucks. He got a nifty little stack of truck-related board books for Christmas, and this was among them. I was particularly pumped at also locating a roll of gift wrap that had little blue trucks on it (bearing Christmas trees).

• Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site
  • Moo, Baa, La La La!
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • Llama Llama Red Pajama
  • On the Night You Were Born
  • Snuggle Puppy! (Boynton on Board)
  • Steam Train, Dream Train
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Blue Hat, Green Hat
  • Where Do Diggers Sleep at Night?
  • I Love You, Stinky Face
  • Little Excavator
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
Alice Schertle has written more than 40 books, mostly for children. A mother and former elementary school teacher, Ms. Schertle is a graduate of the University of Southern California. Many of her most famous works are poetic in nature, though she writes about a wide variety of topics.

Little Blue Truck (8 books)
  • Little Blue Truck Leads the Way