Start by marking “Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web” as Want to Read:
Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web

Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web

Introduces the core concepts of information architecture: organizing web site content so that it can be found, designing web site interaction so that it's pleasant to use, and creating an interface that is easy to understand. This book is useful for designers, project managers, programmers, and other information architecture practitioners.
Published October 16th 2002 by New Riders Publishing

Mikal
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great companion to Donna Spencer's "A Practical Guide to Information Architecture". The two together provide the intermediate toolkit for Information Architecture.

Where "A Practical Guide" is at home with content. Wodtke is at home with web applications and site layout.

Where the center of gravity of "A Practical Guide" is the card sort and techniques for content inventory. The center of gravity for Blueprints for the web is the wire framing and scenario flow of each individual webpage
Murray
May 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ux-ia-ixd-ucd
Although not as in-depth as 'the polar bear book' by Morville and Rosenfeld, this book on IA is much more approachable, and therefore perhaps easier to introduce IA concepts to interested colleagues. Also has some tips on keeping care of yourself as you play the IA game.

[Second edition has significantly updated content, as well as colour images:]
Sean Fishlock
Having read some glowing reviews, I decided to pick up a copy of this book for myself. I was expecting something academic, instead it turned out to be quite different, laden with quirky cartoons and little text. This is a breath of fresh air compared to many of the textbook approaches. What I didn't like is the way the book changes tone several times and too often the author declares principles without much substance to back them up and goes off on a tangent.
Although I found it easy to read this
Lena
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: libraries, ux, design
Published in 2002, needless to say it’s a bit outdated. Still...a useful and readable primer on the topic. I’d recommend this to designers, product managers, project managers, and any other site/software stakeholders with no IA or library science background but with a vested interest in good information architecture. I read this right after the polar bear book, which was a bit jarring but good because this brings you back down to the level you need to be at to speak effectively to people lacking ...more
Rica
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Lucid introduction to the field. Confirmed some things I'd figured out on the fly while helping reorganize a couple of entrepreneurs' site, and taught me plenty that I can put to good use in future.

I particularly enjoyed Wodtke's approach to "Gurus and Rules," as laid out in Chapter 1.

Also, I enjoyed the personable style she demonstrates throughout, along with her wry humour: "Information likes to be free, but people want to get paid."

Occasionally, I didn't see the point of including some of th
Robert Bogue
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There’s one statement that is definite truth, there’s no mystery in how Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web approaches IA. It’s all about the web – and why shouldn’t be. If we’re accessing information today we’re likely doing it via the web. Whether it’s an internet web site that sells Shepherd’s crooks or a corporate intranet, we’re spending more and more of our time consuming information in a browser.

Click here to read the full review
Amber
Oct 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Wodtke is so funny! This is was my first formal introduction to information architecture (although I had certainly been exposed to it indirectly throughout my industrial design education/career), and I couldn't have asked for a better person to lay it all out.

She speaks in shades of grays, but somehow nothing comes across as fuzzy. Chock full of great examples and hilariously down to earth, this book is a great hands-on introduction to the not-so-obvious function of information design.
Elizabeth
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People attempting to learn information architecture
This is a solid introduction to information architecture. No, it isn't Morville and Rosenfeld's Information Architecture for the World Wide Web, but Wodtke and Govella's book covers the essentials, does so in a friendly, non-frightening way, and is a little more portable than the polar bear book. Plus, it's actually enjoyable to read, which is a good thing in its own right.
Xuejin Chuang
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ux
Excellent introduction to the process of creating a web site. However, the structure of this book is great as it covers persona research and development, content design and up till wireframing. However, the author did not explain his thought process or reasoning on why each step is a must and how it contributes towards the entire UX design process.

However, still a must read for UX wannabes
Rebecca
Sep 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I definitely didn't intend to read this in one day, but it was engaging, and it was interesting. It actually reminded me a lot of both the exhibit design and database design classes I had to take in grad school.

I imagine I'll either use it as a reference or else I'll just flat out re-read it.
Antti Qvickström
Quite an interesting read, not too outdated yet. Not too heavy and quite easy to follow thanks to a lot of screenshots and examples.
Kaitlin
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great introduction to information architecture, especially for those without an IA background who need practical advice on how to build a web site.
Feb 06, 2014
andrea
Jan 23, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Designing Web Navigation
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • Designing for the Social Web
  • Pervasive Information Architecture: Designing Cross-Channel User Experiences
  • Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to User Research
  • Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests
  • Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design
  • Remote Research: Real Users, Real Time, Real Research
  • Designing Social Interfaces
  • Web ReDesign 2.0: Workflow that Works
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web (Voices (New Riders)
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Designing Web Usability
  • A Project Guide to UX Design: For User Experience Designers in the Field or in the Making
  • Card Sorting
  • Designing for Interaction: Creating Smart Applications and Clever Devices
  • Undercover User Experience Design: Learn How to Do Great UX Work with Tiny Budgets, No Time, and Limited Support

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Christina Wodtke trains companies to move from insight to execution as principal of her firm, Wodtke Consulting, and teaches the next generation of entrepreneurs at California College of the Arts and Stanford Continuing Education.

Christina has led redesigns and initial product offerings for such companies as LinkedIn, Myspace, Zynga, Yahoo!, Hot Studio, and eGreetings. She has founded two consulti