Start by marking “How to Write Funny: Your Serious, Step-By-Step Blueprint For Creating Incredibly, Irresistibly, Successfully Hilarious Writing” as Want to Read:

The Definitive Humor-Writing Handbook From A Top Comedy Pro
This easy-to-follow guide, written by one of the world's most successful humor writers, lays out a clear system for creating funny ideas that get big, milk-coming-out-of-your-nose laughs, reliably and repeatably. You'll learn...

• The 3 sure-fire ways to generate material
• The 11 different kinds of jokes and
Published May 10th 2014 (first published April 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about How to Write Funny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Write Funny

Start your review of How to Write Funny: Your Serious, Step-By-Step Blueprint For Creating Incredibly, Irresistibly, Successfully Hilarious Writing
Mehrsa
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
So I don’t have aspirations to write funny, but I love goof writing advice and I saw a passage from this book and it piqued my interest. It was good. And you know what? all those white dudes who complain that they can’t be funny without making the same old
Stupid racist and sexist jokes should read this book.
Roozbeh Daneshvar
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was not funny, as it was not supposed to be. I think one of the greatest [potential] impacts of this book would be teaching the reader how to appreciate good comedy. The book shows how difficult it is to write funny and shows that a good writing requires a lot of hard work and practice.

I think the book could have leveraged many more examples throughout the text. In many parts, the concepts were mechanically presented as facts, without any examples on them. More inline samples could
Atman Pandya
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing, comedy
This book dispels 2 major assumptions about comedy writing - that it is a full time laugh riot and that you can only write good jokes when inspiration strikes. Writing comedy is a full-time job like any other, one that often requires coffee fuelled late-night sessions with your nuthead buddies, one where you occasionally want to tear your hair out and strangle your boss with it, and it is also one that requires skill and sustained effort to create something worthwhile.

The author does a brilliant
Antoinette Perez
I don't know what it says about me that I feel like I have to read "how to write humor" books over and over again, but I feel odd reviewing this book after only one read. My take-away: satire is the way to go. I do need to re-read to actually TRY the method taught. But it was a solid enough book that I will do so.
Matt Boumal
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you want to work as a comedy writer, this will definitely help you. A lot of books on comedy writing are quite similar to each other, but I think this one stands out. It will help you write much better jokes, and it'll help you come up with ideas and realize that writer's block is not a real thing.

Maybe it's hard to get an actual sense of whether or not a book is good even with a review, because you don't know me and you don't know my work, but I can tell you that I recently got hired at the
Lisa Hollenbach
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Blueprint for Comedy Writing

It’s really difficult to find a book that maps out process. How to Write Funny knocks it out of the park in this respect. Dikkers deconstructs the comedy writing process on a metacognitive level, but with simple actionable steps for the comedy writer to follow. I feel like this text was exactly what I needed to help me level up my comedy writing. However, much of the insight contained within can be applied to my improv and stand up adventures as well!
James
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good tips for writing funny.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book on writing humor. Dikkers, creator of the Onion, has lots of tips for writing funny. Lover the funny filter section, really good at dissecting what makes funny (surprise and a good subtext), and he gives a nice overview of humor styles. I did think it was funny that Dikkers uses the Onion as his example par excellence of every humor style he regards as soohisticated, but he does seem fair and generous with other humorists.
Kyle A Massa
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
According to Scott Dikkers, the nature-versus-nurture argument means nothing to comedy writing. Because, according to him, being funny isn’t an innate skill—it can be learned. That’s the overriding theme of "How to Write Funny."

Dikkers is one of the co-founders of satirical news outlet The Onion. You might think his book would be uproariously funny, but it’s really not. In fact, he writes up front, "A lot of people who write books about how to write humor feel a pressure to make the book funny.
Jash Bangdiwala
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read

This book has some fascinating insight to writing funny stuff, although I plan to use these tips to write jokes for stand up comedy rather than online content there’s so much to be learned from what is said here. I think it warrants multiple reads over the span of your career as you get more prolific in your craft, more the text might inspire and provide you ‘divine inspiration’
Liang Gang Yu
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
To day-to-day writing, humor is the spice to the main course. It is the icing on the cake when done right; a spoiler if it is done poorly.

This short book is concisely written, serving as a solid stepstone for writing funny stuff. Even for people who are not writing comedy or comedian materials like me, it is a small wealth of knowledge to understand and maybe practice a bit humorous writing.
Nicholas Ball
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Taking on the risky project of splitting the comedy atom, Scott Dikkers breaks down some good advice on writing habits, what comedy is, and how to make jokes. His theory is sound (he breaks humour down into 11 types of "funny filter" to create a viewpoint on different types of jokes) and his exercises and advice are all solid.
Peter Millett
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. This is a very practical resource. Scott makes no apologies for creating a workman-like book without a crazy/funny commentary. He just gets down to business and delivers short, concise, extremely useful guidelines for creating modern 21st century comedy. Well worth a read.
Mandy Morello
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolute Gold

I’ve read a lot of comedy writing books before but this one has been the most insightful. Scott provides you with the tools to start writing jokes right away. Highly recommend.
Matthew Pike
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It took a while to get to the real information, but I really did learn a lot from this. Very informative in a clear, all business style.
Julie
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Some good tips for writing humor and breaking down the different types of humor out there in this.
Nick Linsmayer
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great techniques

Solid advice for anyone interested in comedy, regardless of medium. It’s a quick and engaging read. Excited to read his next book!
Ruijie
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A practical step-by-step guide that makes comedy writing very accessible. This is a very useful and instructional book for anyone who would like to get started, or wants to get better at the craft.
Kyle Feuerbach
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is PACKED with information as well as writing assignments. I will refer back to this book often and buy more in the series.
Joe Nehme
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
good book for comedy beginners.
Lynley
Apr 26, 2018 added it
Shelves: writing

[UPDATE 2019: Scott has since had this book thoroughly copyedited. The new edition includes more examples from woman comedians. More than a year on, I can say this book has changed the way I think about comedy.]

I bought this book because I wanted to know more about the 11 Funny Filters I've seen online. I had a suspicion the article was so thorough and obvious that I wouldn't need the book. That's not true -- the book emphasises something the article did not: The importance of subtext.

What
Colin Anton
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved that the book didn't try to be too funny and got down into the guts of writing funny. Because I wasn't writing funny, I had writers block.

What I also loved, it blows up this whole concept of being funny is luck and expresses a Strunk and White formula to approach the mythical goal of Satire. Good read, and a good comedy writing Kickstarter.
Frederic Kerr
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This is among the best books I have read on writing humour. The author founded The Onion, so he holds satire up as the highest form of humour. he advocates expressing an opinion as a subtext before putting it through "comedy filters" like madcap, reference, shock etc. I look forward to practising his exercises, which I found more useful than those in other books.
Anne Libera

• Poking a Dead Frog: Conversations with Today's Top Comedy Writers
  • The Comic Toolbox How to Be Funny Even If You're Not
  • Spoiled Brats
  • Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life
  • Do You Talk Funny?: 7 Comedy Habits to Become a Better (and Funnier) Public Speaker
  • Sick in the Head: Conversations About Life and Comedy
  • Mastering Stand-Up: The Complete Guide to Becoming a Successful Comedian
  • The Last Girlfriend on Earth: And Other Love Stories
  • Napalm & Silly Putty
  • Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads
  • The Millionaire Real Estate Investor
  • The Hidden Tools of Comedy: The Serious Business of Being Funny
  • Magnetic: Naturally Attract The Women You Want, Cultivate Confidence, and Become Rejection-Proof
  • Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival
A United States comedy writer and filmmaker. He was a founding editor of The Onion, and current Vice President Creative Development for the publication. He co-owned The Onion from 1989–2001, and is the publication's longest-serving editor-in-chief, holding the position from 1988–1999 and 2005–2008.

He is the author or co-author of several best-selling humor books. He is also the creator and artist