Start by marking “The Invisible String” as Want to Read:
The Invisible String

The Invisible String

In this heartwarming story, Karst ("God Made Easy") delivers a very simple approach to overcoming the fear of loneliness or separation from parents, written with an imaginative flair that children can easily identify with and remember. For Adults Too!

OVER 400,000 Copies Sold!
Published September 1st 2000 by DeVorss & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Invisible String, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invisible String

Camie
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Buying copies of this cute children's book for several Grandchildren that have recently or are just about ready to move out of State. The basic context is that of a string, a magic and invisible string , which connects us all to the ones we love. It's the very ticket (a comforting story) for someone who needs to know that no matter how far away they go... Our love goes with them. Applicable for many kinds of loss or fear that a child/ person might have. It does make mention of heaven ( just on o ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
The Invisible String is a comforting story about two siblings who learn that everyone has an invisible string that connects them to everyone they love, anywhere, anytime. You are never alone. The people who love you here and those who have passed away are never far because if you tug on this invisible string they can feel it in their hearts.

This is a remarkable message for children who feel lonely, scared, anxious, worried, etc. and this reassuring feeling could help a child cope with a variety
The Styling Librarian
The Invisible String by Patrice Karst, illustrated by Geoff Stevenson – Published in 2000, part of my social skills/feelings book purchases. This is a delicate, beautiful story about how twins realize there is an invisible string connecting all people who love one another… you can feel it in your heart and always be connected, even from afar. Beautiful. Delicate. Perfect for: dealing with loss, moving, friendship issues, family problems, nighttime fears… Quite the special book.
The Invisible Str
Abbi
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As I get ready to deploy again, I find that there are hardly any books that discuss MOMMY leaving. I found this to be a great substitute. We love it! My boys are 2 and 5. The younger one doesn't grasp the concept but the older one loves it!
Tricia
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews, childrens
I recently read this book to my five year old daughter and cried. It was a sweet heartwarming story. I highly recommend it, especially if your child has recently lost a loved one or dealing with separation anxiety. It is such a wonderful message for kids.
Janine
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-lucian
Such a beautiful book, I loved this so much. My little guy was interested and loved the pictures.
Adrian
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Heart warming.
Christina/ The Blog for Teachers, Readers, & Life!
The Invisible String Written by: Patricia Karst & Illustrated by: Joanne Lew-Vriethoff
Ages: 6-9 Grades: First Grade-Third Grade Paperback (slightly oversized)
The Invisible String is not outright a Valentine’s Day book. However, this is a powerful story about love even if the person is not physically there. This book deals with separation anxiety, loneliness, and loss. It briefly alludes to loss caused by death in a non-religious way.

Please see the full post with Valentine's Day activities fo
Mary
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I first read The Invisible String last year, when my daughter's preschool teacher read it with her students as they transitioned into being at school, many for the first time. I then revisited it earlier this year, when a dear family lost their young father to cancer, and my friend read this with her little ones as they grieved. No matter the situation, The Invisible String by Patrice Karst, oroginally illustrated by Geoff Stevenson, has a powerful message for young children-- they are always co ...more
Ann Marie Denson
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Theme: The major theme of this book is the power love embodies to overcome worry and loneliness to bind people together.

Summary: Two twins, Liza and Jeremy long for their mother's comfort during a big, frightening storm. Their mom used this situation to share an invisible string with them so they can feel her presence in their room without her being there. She promised Liza and Jeremy that this invisible string of love connects people together wherever they go, and that they never have to be al
Olivia Webster
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love, loss, grief
This book is a touching story about two children who learn about an "Invisible String", which helps them to visualize their connection to those who they love, even in their loved ones' absence. While the book is not specifically about grief, it touches on the love that can be felt between those near and far, even those who have passed on. The book also includes love for animals, love for those who we are angry with, and love across both physical distance and across life and death. The book is a ...more
Vaden Ellwanger
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summary: A mom teaches her two twins the magic of the invisible string that is love. The children ask the mom all kinds of questions about how far the string will reach and who has strings. Then, they realize that everyone has strings connected to each other and as long as they love one another they will have strings forever. The ending message is that no one is alone.

Theme: The theme is love and unity.

Response: I really liked this book because it presented a new way of thinking about the abstr
Ana LibrariAna
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heavy rain and thunder woke the twins up from their nights sleep. Afraid, they called for their mother. Even after their Mom explained to them that it is just a storm, the twins were still afraid and wanted to be close to their Mom. When Mom said that they are always together, no matter what, they asked how is that even possible when she is out here and they are in bed.
Holding something in front of them, Mom said it is time for her to tell them something her Mom first told her when she was abou
Christy
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: death, concept-books
Specifically written to address children's fear of being apart from the ones they love, The Invisible String delivers a particularly compelling message in today's uncertain times that though we may be separated from the ones we care for, whether through anger, or d
Ashlyn Stevens
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng-350
This was a good book. This book is for children who struggle with separation. This book is about a little boy and girl who wake up during a thunderstorm and run downstairs to be comforted by their mother. There mom tells them to both go back to their bed but they told their mom that they wanted to stay with her. The mother let her children know that they are together no matter what. They wondered how they could be together when mom is out in the living room and they are in their beds. This is wh ...more
Peyton
When I was growing up and learned about the Romantic poets and I immediately believed that I, myself, was a romantic. Now, after reading “The Invisible String” I realize that I am actually a cynic.

“The Invisible String” explains the idea that everyone is connect to the ones they love through an invisible string that stretches between their hearts. Through this idea, you learn that no one is alone and that everyone is connected.

I read the story and thought that it was okay and made sense for a
Lillian Lake
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grief
There are many reasons I liked this book but the main reason is it's perfect for any age in any situation where you want to enforce the idea that we are never truly alone. It can be used as a gift for children dealing with separation, or from a person who is dying to a loved one who will be left behind. It is perfect for children working through grief. It's even great as a coffee table book. The soft colored drawings captivate and invite engagement.

As a plus, I like the coated paperback, 2018 v
Lisa
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is without a doubt the first book I'd recommend to anyone who has a child in their life that says they miss someone. The person could be:

Living in another state
Deceased
Incarcerated
Away on business
or even just at work for the day

It provides the child with validation of this feeling, and details a simple way the child to connect with their loved one by pulling on their (heart)string. My granddaughter was constantly saying she missed her mommy and I was looking for a way to help her work throu
Madison Delaney
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a children's book, this is fantastic. It is well-illustrated, and effectively conveys the emotional connections and ties of affection and love that bind us to others, an important lesson for children around story time age.

This book even proved useful to me. I happened to remember my mother giving me this because she found it powerful, and I remembered right at a time that memories of an isolated time in my life came flooding back to me. This book was exactly what I needed, and reminded me tha
April
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book that I've used in individual therapy sessions with children 4-7 years old to help them understand that people they see infrequently can still love them and care about them. This is a topic that comes up fairly frequently at my job, whether regarding an absent parent, a grandparent who died, or a sibling rarely seen. This story explores how you can still love someone from afar in a heartwarming, child-friendly way. It's been one of the few books that has struck a chord in my cli ...more
Meg Robinson
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: attachment
This book was recommended to me by another teacher after i had suggested about doing my dissertation about attachment disorder. It is a lovely book that helps children transitioning to school, or potentially going through a tricky time at home to understand that even if your parent or grown up isnt around you will always be loved and safe. A very useful took for children struggling with the change.
Kris
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Useful picture book because it can be used for helping cope with any kind of loss or separation - from huge traumas like death and divorce to smaller issues like separation anxiety while a parent is at work or when a friend moves. The illustrations could be better, but the text is simple and easy to understand and could be helpful.
Samantha Benton
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Connection brings us all closer together, and the invisible string of love unites us all. No matter how far we are or where we go, love keeps us connected to those who are far away or have died. This book stresses the power that love has on the people of this world and the people who has ever passed.
Debbie
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it

I bought this book for my precious grandsons. I enjoyed reading it very much and I am so anxious to share this sweet book and its heartwarming message with them:

"People who love each other are always connected by a very special String, made of love. Even though you can't see it with your eyes, you can feel it deep in your heart, and know that you are always connected to the ones you love."
Jennifer Simpson
This chatming book is a great way to talk about connectedness with kids. The central theme is that an invisible string connects us to all the people we love, no matter where they are. It's a great jumping-off place to discuss divorce, death, adoption, or just belonging. Lovely illustrations and very readable, I've used it with excellent results with a number of therapy clients.
Heather
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A simple but beautiful concept for kids about love. I like how the author included pets, friends, siblings and even loved ones in heaven in her explanation of who we are connected to with the invisible string. She also points out that the invisible string doesn't go away when we're mad; that love is stronger than anger. A great message of unconditional love! This is a book I'd like to own.
Deborah
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A simple story to reassure young children about separation from those they love.
The tangible idea of a love string/heart string that the child can tug whenever they are missing their loved one, and know that the person will tug back, connected despite distance or circumstances, was well received by my small person.
Kara
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
A wonderful book for children and adults. It has so many wonderful messages about how we are all connected and more specifically how a child is connected through love even when physically separated from parents or other important people in their lives. Great for separation anxiety, divorce, moving, death. Love this book!
Robin Spencer
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We’re all connected

This book is good for children who have any kind of attachment anxiety, who might be missing a friend or loved one, or who needs support in a difficult situation, like being hospitalized. Then, all a person in the know has to do is pinch their fingers together and the child can imagine a tug on their heart.
April
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A beautiful children's book, The Invisible string gives us all comfort that we are always connected to those we love. This story would be particularly helpful for children who are managing grief/ loss or trauma but shares a special message for us all.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Terrible Thing Happened
  • When Dinosaurs Die: A Guide to Understanding Death
  • Rabbityness
  • If I Could Keep You Little...
  • Your Body Belongs to You
  • You're Here for a Reason
  • The Next Place
  • The Tenth Good Thing About Barney
  • Tear Soup: A Recipe for Healing After Loss
  • One Today
  • Jack's Worry
  • I Miss You: a First Look at Death (First Look at Books)
  • Little Gorilla
  • Hero Dad
  • Anna Karenina: A BabyLit® Fashion Primer
  • Those Darn Squirrels Fly South
  • Argus
  • What Moms Can't Do
Patrice Karst is best known as the author of her best-selling children’s classic, THE INVISIBLE STRING. Her other books include THE SMILE THAT WENT AROUND THE WORLD, GOD MADE EASY and THE SINGLE MOTHER’S SURVIVAL GUIDE. A well loved public speaker, Patrice has been featured in and on hundreds of television and radio shows, newspapers and magazine across the country, including MSNBC, CBS, C-SPAN, A ...more