Jump to ratings and reviews

The Invisible String

A steady best-seller and The Invisible String is reaching all over the World! WITH OVER 1 MILLION COPIES SOLD, this accessible, bestselling picture book phenomenon about the unbreakable connections between loved ones has healed a generation of readers--children and adults alike. "That's impossible," said twins Jeremy & Liza after their Mom told them they're all connected by this thing called an Invisible String. "What kind of string?" They asked with a puzzled look to which Mom replied, "An Invisible String made of love."That's where the story begins. A story that teaches of the tie that really binds. Parents and loved ones feel the tug whenever kids give it; and kids feel the tug that comes right back: The Invisible String reaches from heart to heart. Does everybody have an Invisible String? How far does it reach, anyway? Whether there's a loved one far away, or a parent in the next room, this delightful book illustrates a new way to cope with something all children and parents confront sooner or later; a child's fear of loneliness and separation.
The Invisible String has sold over 1 Million copies. In addition to being shared by all ages as a gift for many of life's milestone moments, it is also being used by schools, psychologists, hospices, grief support groups, the military, hospitals, the prison system and multiple organizations worldwide for any kind of loss or separation issues, and gives children a tangible understanding of LOVE.

FROM THE AUTHOR
What began as a way of comforting my own son Elijah when he was sad that I was going to work and he was going to pre-school, became my book The Invisible String. Children of all ages (And yes! Adults too!) feel a great sense of peace and joy realizing that we are all connected to the ones that we love... (pets, friends, grandparents, cousins etc... and especially those that have passed on)...through the Invisible String. A string that can never be lost, cut, or torn. A string that can reach all the way to the moon or down to the ocean floor. A string that anger, time, or bad feelings can never make go away. No-one is too young or too old to remember that we are never, really all alone. God Bless you all and never forget about The String.
Bye for now, may your strings soar far and wide... and let's spread the word!!!
Love, Patrice

40 pages, Hardcover

First published September 1, 2000

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Patrice Karst

16 books20 followers
Patrice Karst is best known as the author of her best-selling children’s classic, THE INVISIBLE STRING. Her other books include THE SMILE THAT WENT AROUND THE WORLD, GOD MADE EASY and THE SINGLE MOTHER’S SURVIVAL GUIDE. A well loved public speaker, Patrice has been featured in and on hundreds of television and radio shows, newspapers and magazine across the country, including MSNBC, CBS, C-SPAN, ABC News, Fox News, McCall’s and Woman's Day. Other projects have included... acting, comedy, dance, singing, developing television and film projects and teaching creative writing and meditation. The mother of one grown son Elijah, Patrice lives at the beach in Los Angeles where she can be found on her deck many a late night, scanning the skies over the ocean for shooting stars and pondering the meaning of life~ Patrice loves to hear from you! Contact her through her website. www.patricekarst.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 299 reviews
Profile Image for Camie.
883 reviews187 followers
October 6, 2016
Buying copies of this cute children's book for several Grandchildren that have recently or are just about ready to move out of State. The basic context is that of a string, a magic and invisible string , which connects us all to the ones we love. It's the very ticket (a comforting story) for someone who needs to know that no matter how far away they go... Our love goes with them. Applicable for many kinds of loss or fear that a child/ person might have. It does make mention of heaven ( just on one page) which some will be glad for / or may not appreciate. Overall it's a delightful book and recommended for ages 4-8 and sentimental adults. I'm getting one for myself and a sister whose family is moving to China :-( 5 stars
Profile Image for کیه!؟.
120 reviews32 followers
April 25, 2022
بسم الله...

رویایی دارم!

"این نخ تا کجاها می رسد؟"
مامان گفت: "تا همیشه و همه جا."

تا به حال طعم جدایی را چشیده اید؟ اگر بله، پس این کتاب برای شماست! و برای هر کس که میداند این شتر در خانه اش میخوابد.
داستانی برای شکست دادن اضطراب جدایی؛ در بچه ها، بزرگترها و حتی خیلی بزرگترها :)

1/2/401
April 23, 2013
The Invisible String is a comforting story about two siblings who learn that everyone has an invisible string that connects them to everyone they love, anywhere, anytime. You are never alone. The people who love you here and those who have passed away are never far because if you tug on this invisible string they can feel it in their hearts.

This is a remarkable message for children who feel lonely, scared, anxious, worried, etc. and this reassuring feeling could help a child cope with a variety of issues from everyday things (like a storm) to serious issues (like death of a friend or parent).

The illustrations are done in soothing watercolors and the simple lines highlight the facial expressions and feelings of the characters.
Profile Image for Ryhnn☃.
47 reviews5 followers
January 11, 2023
And isn't it just so pretty to think all along there was some invisible string tying you to me?
Profile Image for Tayebe Ej.
172 reviews31 followers
October 9, 2022
یه نخ نامرئی از عشق هست که همه ی ما رو به هم وصل میکنه. بچه‌ای که رفته مهدکودک رو به مامانش که سر کاره، دوستهایی رو که از هم دور هستن، ما رو به کسانی که از دست دادیم. برای گفتگو درباره همه ی این موضوعا میشه از این داستان استفاده کرد.
تنها نقطه ضعف کتاب اینه که دوز داستانیش کمه و مستقیم حرفش رو زده

مناسب برای ۴ تا ۷ سال (و حتی تا ۷۰ سال 😉)
Profile Image for Samin Anvari.
74 reviews41 followers
March 30, 2021
عنوان ترجمه فارسی:نخ نامرئی نشر پرتقال
کتاب دیگری تقریبا با همین مفهوم نشر مهرسا چاپ کرده با عنوان شبکه نامرئی که به نظرم تصویر سازی خیلی بهتری داشت.
Profile Image for Andrea Zuvich.
Author 6 books208 followers
May 14, 2022
Really good, and I found it useful for prepping a child who has separation anxiety before a separation event, and even made me tear up.
Profile Image for The Styling Librarian.
2,170 reviews194 followers
September 14, 2015
The Invisible String by Patrice Karst, illustrated by Geoff Stevenson – Published in 2000, part of my social skills/feelings book purchases. This is a delicate, beautiful story about how twins realize there is an invisible string connecting all people who love one another… you can feel it in your heart and always be connected, even from afar. Beautiful. Delicate. Perfect for: dealing with loss, moving, friendship issues, family problems, nighttime fears… Quite the special book.
The Invisible String by Patrice Karst, illustrated by Geoff Stevenson – My wise friend reminded me about this beautiful book. So grateful I borrowed it and reread it. Very very good book to read with children, both at school and home.
January 12, 2019
The Invisible String Written by: Patricia Karst & Illustrated by: Joanne Lew-Vriethoff
Ages: 6-9 Grades: First Grade-Third Grade Paperback (slightly oversized)
The Invisible String is not outright a Valentine’s Day book. However, this is a powerful story about love even if the person is not physically there. This book deals with separation anxiety, loneliness, and loss. It briefly alludes to loss caused by death in a non-religious way.

Please see the full post with Valentine's Day activities for kids 1-10 years-old
Profile Image for Maryam.
33 reviews
August 13, 2021
تصویرش منو میبرد به برنامه کودک های سال های بچگی خودم ❤️ دوستش داشتم 🥰 زیاد 🥰 زیاد 🥰
Profile Image for abbi.
10 reviews1 follower
March 20, 2013
As I get ready to deploy again, I find that there are hardly any books that discuss MOMMY leaving. I found this to be a great substitute. We love it! My boys are 2 and 5. The younger one doesn't grasp the concept but the older one loves it!
Profile Image for TLBC.
513 reviews11 followers
September 10, 2016
I recently read this book to my five year old daughter and cried. It was a sweet heartwarming story. I highly recommend it, especially if your child has recently lost a loved one or dealing with separation anxiety. It is such a wonderful message for kids.
Profile Image for BiblioKel.
711 reviews2 followers
October 8, 2019
This is a sweet book that reminds us that so long as we are loved then we are never truly alone.

The book does mention heaven on one page which may be a consideration for secular families however you can easily skip over it.
Profile Image for Islam Ahmed.
337 reviews40 followers
October 23, 2019
this is the best children book I read

" Love is stronger than anger, and as long as love is in your heart, the String will always be there"

Profile Image for Alexandra.
Author 4 books80 followers
August 22, 2021
An emotional book, which can be useful in teaching children how to cope with separation anxiety, loss, and grief. Patrice Karst delivers a story that can bring parents and children closer together, with love as a central element.
For me, as a parent it is important to find books that can help my daughter cope with difficult emotions. I chose “The Invisible String” because it gave me an opportunity to show her I will always be around. As adults, we know that it is impossible to avoid such experiences, but we have an essential tool to help our children process them in a healthy manner, the written word.
In this story, a mother tells her children how they are all connected through an invisible string. The children refuse at first to believe what their mother is telling them, but their curiosity is peaked and they want to know more. They ask one question after the other. Does everybody have an invisible string? How far does it reach? Does it ever go away? The mother answers all of them patiently.
While reading this story, you will find your heart overflowing with love, as you will be remembered how we are all connected. I think this book can be useful in striking a conversation about the power of love. It can help children become comfortable with difficult emotions and understand they are always loved. No matter if they are dealing with loneliness, separation or grief, this story can reduce their anxiety and offer a deeper understanding on the meaning of life.
I read this story to my daughter and, even though she kept trying to find the string connecting us, I think she got the idea. She gave me a hog and told me I love you, and it felt amazing to know we shared a powerful moment. I truly believe books have the power to change the world, starting with our children. Stories like this help us, parents, come closer to our children and teach them how to cope with the hard parts of life.
This is a wonderful book to read and add to your home library. I believe it could also be used in therapy, helping kids deal with difficult emotions and cope with painful experiences. An amazing story!

Profile Image for Melissa.
40 reviews
August 19, 2020
The Invisible String, is about how there is an invisible string that connects you to those you love, including to those in heaven. This book can be used for topics other than death, but has one page where it specifically says their invisible string reaches from their heart to their uncle's heart in heaven.
Profile Image for Karen Cockerill.
292 reviews
October 13, 2020
A lovely bedtime story especially for children that don't like storms. I think this would also be great for separation anxiety. We love it and read it often
Profile Image for میم صالحی فر.
235 reviews28 followers
October 7, 2022
یکی از کتاب های معروفی هست که برای برطرف شدن اضطراب جدایی بچه هایی که قرار هست به مهد یا مدرسه برن و به طور کای زمانی رو دور از والدین سپری کنن، پیشنهاد میشه.
کتاب رو هم انتشارات مهرسا (طناب نامرئی)و هم پرتقال چاپ کرده

خلاصه کتاب میشه این جمله‌: نخی نامریی از عشق ما را به هم وصل می کند، نخی که نه تنها از صبح تا شب بلکه همیشه و همه جا همراه ماست.

Profile Image for Amin.
64 reviews1 follower
October 3, 2021
داستانی برای تسکین دوری و فراق.

«مامان گفت: هر اتفاقی بیفته ما همیشه با هم هستیم
لیزا گفت: اما چطور می‌تونیم با هم باشیم وقتی تو اینجایی و ما اونجا.
مامان گفت: با نخ نامرئی! آدم‌هایی که همدیگه رو دوست دارند با نخ خاصی که از عشق درست شده به هم وصل‌ هستند. ꨄ
Profile Image for Steph.
1,323 reviews
July 28, 2021
A beautiful book about being together, despite being apart. This book could provide great comfort for people who struggle with separation. It would make an excellent gift.
3 reviews
October 14, 2020
The distance between family and friends caused by Covid restrictions has been tough to say the least, which is why I'd like to introduce you to 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑰𝒏𝒗𝒊𝒔𝒊𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝑺𝒕𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒈 .

This story encourages a resilience mindset in the face of anxiety caused by separation in all its forms be it death, divorce, first day of school or a pandemic! The story provides us with a gentle way to approach these emotion packed topics and shows us why we are never alone, even when we are apart.

The story lets us in on a conversation between a mother and her children, who want to remain close to her during a stormy night. The mum settles her children's nerves by explaining that no matter how far apart they are, they are always connected by an invisible string. The siblings then test the strength and length of this string by imagining all sorts of places it could possibly reach. The visuals are engaging and paint a clear picture of the kids imagination, from deep sea diving in a submarine, to climbing the peak of the tallest mountain.

Pease note there is a page in the book that makes reference to 'heaven' hence alluding to the passing of a loved one. I feel, that the simplicity in which it is mentioned leaves the door open for the parent/guardian to elaborate or not as they see fit.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
May 6, 2019
As a children's book, this is fantastic. It is well-illustrated, and effectively conveys the emotional connections and ties of affection and love that bind us to others, an important lesson for children around story time age.

This book even proved useful to me. I happened to remember my mother giving me this because she found it powerful, and I remembered right at a time that memories of an isolated time in my life came flooding back to me. This book was exactly what I needed, and reminded me that not only I, but everyone I cherish, is never truly alone.

I recommend this book to any parent of young children.
31 reviews
February 1, 2019
We’re all connected

This book is good for children who have any kind of attachment anxiety, who might be missing a friend or loved one, or who needs support in a difficult situation, like being hospitalized. Then, all a person in the know has to do is pinch their fingers together and the child can imagine a tug on their heart.
Profile Image for Molly.
2,391 reviews
February 15, 2020
I'm a little bit torn; I like the idea of this, and most of it is fine. But I don't like the squiggly-style illustrations, and the mention of heaven rules it out for my purposes. But for families who are into that, this is probably a good book on the topic, and it keeps it pretty light while still being meaningful.

Edit: there is another version with much cuter illustrations.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 299 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.