Start by marking “Hotter Than Hell (The Hollows, #4.5)” as Want to Read:
Hotter Than Hell (The Hollows, #4.5)

Hotter Than Hell (Dante Valentine #5.1 - Brother's Keeper)

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  5,173 Ratings  ·  176 Reviews
Beyond the boundaries of the everyday is an unseen realm where anything you imagine is possible. Your demon lover is waiting for you in the shadows, ready to fulfill your secret wishes and most dangerous fantasies. Here passion has a face and form both titillating and terrifying—and love has teeth and claws. Get ready to give in to your craving for something exquisitely da ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 491 pages
Published June 24th 2008 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Hotter Than Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hotter Than Hell

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I love reading anthologies, so I never really got why a lot of romance readers don't care much for anthologies. Well, I tend to read fantasy and horror anthologies for the most part. This is probably one of the first bigger romance ones I've read. I get it now! It gets pretty dull to read sex scene after sex scene. The only thing that broke the monotony were the paranormal elements, and seeing how each author created a story out of that starting point. Some authors did a better job than others o ...more
Tricia
Jul 07, 2008 Tricia rated it did not like it
I've read 3 of the stories so far.

Tanya Huff's "Music Hath Charms" was an ok read, but forgettable.

Majorie M Liu's " Minotaur in Stone" seriously sucked. If her name wasn't attached to it, I wouldn't believe she wrote it.

Cheyenne Mc Cray's "Demon Lover" was cheesy, but predictably entertaining.

Over all I'm not impressed, and were I a "new" reader to these authors, there is NO WAY in hell I'd look for their other books, and that would've been a serious loss considering I would've missed out on "
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Dirty Magic - The Hollows, 4.5

2 stars

I'm not sure what this novella was supposed to accomplish. The only thing I learned was that Mia (the Banshee from Black Magic Sanction) is an unreliable narrator and perhaps as big a psychopath as her husband, Remus. Not my favorite.
Rhianna
Feb 05, 2009 Rhianna rated it liked it
At just under 500 pages, Hotter Than Hell, collects a dozen short stories from some of the biggest names in paranormal romance and urban fantasy into one nice little beach ready tome. Because there are a dozen that need a review let me do my best here and give you a very short bit on each one (in the order from the book)!

Music Hath Charms by Tanya Huff is a quicky about a talent scout for a music studio and her sultry adventures to sign a hunky pair of country-rock musicians who's sound has a m
Janice (Janicu)
Jul 12, 2008 Janice (Janicu) rated it it was ok
The one thing that gets me with this book is how different it seems from the rest of the "In Hell" anthologies that came before it. It really strikes me that Hotter than Hell is more paranormal romance than it is urban fantasy, because the premise in all the stories is sex with a paranormal twist. Pretty much all of these stories have a relationship with sex included, which makes it more romance than not, which isn't the case as much in the other books (which makes them more "urban fantasy"). I ...more
Heather
Jun 23, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
Recommended to Heather by: queuemyreview.com
Shelves: queuemyreview
Reviewed for www.queuemyreview.com

I don’t usually read anthologies very often. I have nothing against them, however I just don’t seem to pick them up. I know now that Kim Harrison, Keri Arthur, Marjorie M. Liu and many others have changed my mind after reading Hotter Than Hell. I’m just going to talk about a few of the stories because there are many, and they are all really good. Here are a few of my favorites:

Music Hath Charms by Tanya Huff is about a woman named Ali that works as a recruiter
Julie (jjmachshev)
Jun 22, 2008 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-reads
There really is something for everyone in the "Hotter Than Hell" anthology edited by Kim Harrison. This anthology includes stories by Kim Harrison, Tanya Huff, Marjorie M Liu, Cheyenne McCray, L A Banks, Susan Krinard, Keri Arthur, Heidi Betts, Lilith Saintcrow, Susan Sizemore and Denise Little, Carrie Vaughn, and Linda Winstead Jones. What a stellar lineup!

These stories are not sweet and tender. They feature the darker side and include love, hate, betrayal, and redemption. If your heroes have h
The Listmaker
Jun 29, 2008 The Listmaker rated it liked it
Shelves: anthologies
The good thing about anthologies such as this is that they give you the opportunity to discover new authors you may otherwise never find.

The bad thing about anthologies such as this is that you have to wade through stories that don't appeal to you at all.

Sadly, this anthology had more stories that fell into that second category than the first. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good book, just not one where every story is great.

Cindy
Jan 14, 2009 Cindy rated it liked it
The title is obviously intended to hook the 'Dates from Hell' fans - but frankly most of the stories work too hard at the 'Hotter Than' part and very few of them contained anything 'hellish'. All contained some paranormal aspects but most were the 'usual' vampires and shifters. I think my favorite was the Sizemore/Little story which managed to mix time travel/psychic power/dark ages history/Druidism/emerging Christianity/and the King Arthur legends into one successful little story...

Christy Stewart
I love Marjorie M. Liu's story. Every time I read one of her short stories I am taken with her style; beautiful prose, emotionally gritty, and original. In her story, Minotaur In Stone, she does a great job of using the Minotaur and labyrinth myth into a stereotypical paranormal-romance story. She doesn't do anything especially out of the box, but her style makes it seem like the first time you had read something with the dream-lover premise.
Erin
Sep 13, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: someone who is looking for short stories of the preternatural kind.
Recommended to Erin by: Jim
This was really nice for me as a college student because it was short stories that I could get into. Each short story does have sex in it though so its a 'at home reading.' At least it is for me since I don't like reading sex scenes while sitting in the doctors office... I really enjoyed most of the stories.
Charlie
Mar 24, 2015 Charlie rated it liked it
I read this story in the Hotter than Hell anthology Hotter Than Hell (The Hollows, #4.5) by Kim Harrison. It was okay but I didn't love it.
Rita
Jul 07, 2013 Rita rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-2-read-library
WTH? Not a bad story, but I didn't get any part of the crew. I hope all the shorts aren't going to be like this.
Sara Brookes
Jul 09, 2008 Sara Brookes rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal, romance, urban
A good collection of okay and not so okay stories. Worth the read for the quick one-shots for those with quick attention spans.
Carolyn F.
This is a 12 story anthology, so I'll write my reviews of the stories as I go.

Music Hath Charms by Tanya Huff, cute story. I like this story because unlike most of these with them finding true love at the end, it's true lust. This was twin sirens who are about to be enslaved but a woman who wants to go into business with them saves them. I think this is the first story I have read of hers and it was enjoyable enough that I'll read some more. I do have her book Sing the Four Quarters as a challe
Kathy
anthology

Merged review:

Music Hath Charms... Tanya Huff... twins with a Siren mother... their music 'speaks' to the libido... two music companies after them... Alysha vs Michael... Alysha wants to manage them, Michael wants to rule them... Michael arranges for a small concert, with his guests in ear plugs, which will put them under his power when they don't respond... Alysha manages to get her ear plugs out in time to respond, & to allow them their freedom... and her competition disappears, a
Karissa
Jun 11, 2016 Karissa rated it liked it
This book is a collection of fairly typical paranormal romance stories. The majority of them tend towards heavy romance themes and have very explicit sex scenes. A lot of them were just okay; but there were a couple that I really enjoyed. There weren’t any stories in here I would rate 5 stars though.

Short synopsis of the stories as well as some brief thoughts on each of them can be found below.

Overall an okay short story collection. I would recommend to those looking for some steamy paranormal
Shandra
Feb 18, 2017 Shandra rated it really liked it
Rating pertains only to Dirty Magic by Kim Harrison.

Actual rating: 4 Well-That-Was-Depressing stars

I love the world Harrison has created. This short story was fairly sad and depressing to me...
Martina the Book Fairy
Feb 09, 2010 Martina the Book Fairy rated it really liked it
Just finished reading Hotter Than Hell, an anthology edited by Kim Harrison with the following stories:
○ Music Hath Charms - Tanya Huff - ★★★★
○ Curse of the Dragon's Tears - Heidi Betts - ★★★★
○ Brother's Keeper - Lilith Saintcrow - ★★★★★
○ (Like A) Virgin of the Spring - Susan Sizemore & Denise Little
c w

Apparent contradiction: I'm giving the collection three stars but I'm also labeling it disappointing.

Most of the stories hinge on the trope of an overwhelming supernatural attraction to a complete stranger, where that attraction does unironically signal True Love. The problem I have is that trope does nothing for me -- and occasionally turns me off completely.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the trope, but it's not the brand of romance I personally enjoy. At all. If the stories were foc
Lori Whitwam
Aug 05, 2008 Lori Whitwam rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
I don't usually read short stories, but got this because it had Kim Harrison's name on it. To my surprise (and possibly delight), they are actually supernatural erotica, and "someone," (a former friend and co-worker) borrowed all my short story collections in this genre, and now I haven't seen her in years. Guess they're gone for good!

(8/8)
OK, I have to admit I only read half of this. I might check it out again, but it was due back at the library, and I couldn't renew it because there is a hold
Barbara ★
Tanya Huff's - Music Hath Charms
A good short but ended rather abruptly and left you wanting...quite literally.

Cheyenne McCray - Demon Lover
Typical McCray. Overtly sexual and hot. A sweet love story as well.

Keri Arthur - To Die For
Very enjoyable. Ethan truly is To Die For. Eventhough Grace fights it, she is eventuall enthralled.

Susan Krinard - Ride a Dark Horse
I didn't like the hero in this one. A mexican who basically forces himself on the heroine repeatedly. In his favor, he does stop when aske
Jim
Edited by Kim Harrison & the last story is by her. There are about 10 other stories in the book. All are 'Paranormal Erotic Fantasy'. So far I've only read the first story, one by Tanya Huff, is pretty typical of the genre. Well written, imaginative, but has too much sex. I like some sex in a story, but this has a more than I'd like. It overpowers the rest of the story & the world that she created. I must be getting old - never thought I'd think of sex as gratuitous, but that's probably ...more
Anita
Sep 17, 2008 Anita rated it really liked it
This is a great paranormal romance anthology, with 12 stories, many of which are by big names in the genre, like Arthur, Bans, Harrison, Huff, Saintcrow, and Vaughn. I noticed that a few of them clearly were spin-offs of series. This book is really dense - about 500 pages of tightly packed words, but it was worth the time.
Anne
May 25, 2014 Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf, 2014
I only read the Kim Harrison story in this. It is from the Hollows world but doesn't really affect the series so far. It does not have Rachel or Ivy or Jenks. It is a side story about banshees.
Cathy
I only read Kim Harrison's story about Mia the banshee. It was ok, didn't really explain anything that wasn't in The Hallows book 7. It takes place after Holly is born, so Ivy isn't in it.
Beth The Vampire
Feb 16, 2014 Beth The Vampire rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who like to torture themselves
ACTUAL RATING 2.5 STARS

Music Hath Charms - Tanya Huff - 2 Stars
Kind of a nothing story really. Ali is manager of an entertainment company on the verge of bankruptcy when her partner discovers a new band that may have their business. NoMan are led by two very enigmatic young brothers whose music appears to have a power over their audience. Ali is close to signing them when her rival, Mike, and ex boyfriend, Tom, come into the picture, discovering the brothers’ secrets as well, but wanting to use
°☆.。.:*・Arianna°☆.。.:*・
The description for this book isn't even the right one. The description that is currently there is for the book Virgin of the Spring. The actual synopsis for this book would be: Laura Tomescu has been having mysterious dreams of a man named Dougal MacKay. Wanting to find the answers to her questions she goes to the MacKay Castle to find some answers.

Dougal MacKay has been invisible to the world for centuries. He has taken many actions to stay hidden in his sanctuary. When a beautiful woman comes
Samantha Tolleson
May 15, 2011 Samantha Tolleson rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Paranormal fans, Urban Fantasy fans, Fantasy fans, Erotica fans
Recommended to Samantha by: Kim Harrison's previous works
Okay so, when I picked up Hotter Than Hell, I was under the impression that there was going to be lots of short stories about rotten summer comedy experiences. I was shocked that this wasn't the case, but lots and lots of raunchy smut material. Not exactly my cup o' tea, but that's what I get for having a love of the paranormal and not the romance. Definitely have to be in a romantically inclined mood to read this one. Had to restart reading this twice.

Music Hath Charm-Tanya Huff-3 stars
Though t
Olivia
Jun 15, 2017 Olivia rated it liked it
New Vampire Hotness From Heidi Betts 1 6 Sep 29, 2011 09:34AM
A New HQ Desire Release For Heidi Betts 1 3 Jun 09, 2011 08:15AM
A New Christmas Romance From Heidi Betts 1 3 Dec 08, 2010 08:34AM
It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Vampires....In Heidi Betts New Christmas Anthology 1 1 Oct 01, 2010 01:23AM
A Cyber Launch Party Today For Heidi Betts 1 3 Feb 02, 2010 09:00AM
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #2.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5)
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Inked (World of the Lupi, #5.5)
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance
  • Never After (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #6.5)
  • First Blood (Includes: Laws Of The Blood, #5.5; Vegas Vampires, #5; Vampire Babylon, #3.5; The Guardians, #3.5)
  • Wolfsbane and Mistletoe
  • No Rest for the Witches (Nightcreature, #7.5) (Magic, #3.5) (The Others, #3.5)
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • Down These Strange Streets
  • Four Dukes and a Devil (The Byrons of Braebourne #1.5)
  • Unusual Suspects: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Night's Edge
  • My Zombie Valentine (Dark Ones #4.5)
Kim Harrison, author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, was born in Detroit and lived most her her life within an easy drive. She's currently working on the Peri Reed Chronicles, and when not at her desk, is most likely to be found landscaping her new/old Victorian home, in the garden, or on the links.
Kim reaches out to her audience at Facebook https://www.facebook.com/KimHarris
More about Kim Harrison...

Dante Valentine (5 books)
  • Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, #1)
  • Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2)
  • The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine, #3)
  • Saint City Sinners (Dante Valentine, #4)
  • To Hell and Back (Dante Valentine, #5)

“Humans were so ignorant, taking for granted what they received from each other, never knowing the energy they passed between themselves.” 1 likes