Start by marking “Dictatorship of the Dress (Much "I Do" About Nothing, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dictatorship of the Dress (Much "I Do" About Nothing, #1)

Dictatorship of the Dress

(Much "I Do" About Nothing #1)

As the dress-bearer for her mother’s wedding, comic book artist Laney Hudson has a lot more baggage than the bulky garment bag she’s lugging from New York to Hawaii. Laney is determined to prove she’s capable of doing something right, but running chores for her mom’s fairytale nuptials is proving to be a painfully constant reminder of her own lost love.

So when she’s mista
Published January 6th 2015 by Berkley Trade

To ask other readers questions about Dictatorship of the Dress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dictatorship of the Dress

Start your review of Dictatorship of the Dress (Much "I Do" About Nothing, #1)
Baba
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars. Review posted December 8, 2014

photo oie_cJpOYo9J2IiF_zpstsdpgudg.gif

photo oie_DkmYUUG1mOW8_zpsetghblxn.gif

photo oie_HcPyRa2Pce9S_zpsgwl3sjyq.gif

"Oh, am I supposed to get down on my knees and thank you? If you're looking for some alcohol-infused camaraderie or sleazy movie fantasy hookup out of this, you are sadly barking up the wrong tree."

photo oie_PiApxKqkuIve_zpsb7tvlzmp.gif

photo oie_RPcSnR6XEeWa_zpstfbzbiid.gif

Having been inspired by the story, here is my own short summary:

Hello, Tech-Boy!
Come out of your self-inflicted sensory-overloaded bubble
Tear out all the crazy wires, unplug your adapters
My Magic 8 Ball will lead the way to a grand adventure
And show you there
Jill
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it

I tried a few times to read Ms Topper's debut, Louder Than Love but the opening was far too slow and chick-lit-ish for my tastes. However, I'm glad I read this one.

Jessica Topper writes very well, with a deft hand. Her main characters are likeable, realistic and mature, but fun. There's quite a deal of depth to the story, especially the heroine's character. The growing relationship between Noah, the hero and Laney is wonderful, and though they fall in love pretty quickly, given tha
Jennifer Kyle
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25 Stars

"You've heard of a ring bearer, right? Well, I'm just the dress bearer. For my mother."

[image error]

This story was so much more than I had expected. The story is told in alternating povs and it was highly enjoyable and to my surprise it even delivered on the depth factor. The author tugged on my heartstrings with the slow reveal of Laney’s lost love of her past. Laney Hudson is a comic book writer (comic fans will highly enjoy her) who is on her way to Hawaii to deliver her mother
Alex is The Romance Fox
4,5 stars
I have just discovered Jessica Topper and after reading two of her books……she’s beyond…
 photo tumblr_mnh0mtybat1rnwugoo1_500_zpscplu6tg5.gif
Having loved Louder than Love, her debut novel….https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... , I couldn’t wait to start on another one of hers!! And just keeping my fingers crossed that I would not be disappointed!!!! Well, let me just say….not even a smidgen!!!

Dictatorship of the Dress is the 1st book in her Much “I Do” About Nothing Series…a fresh and unique take on two of the most unlikely people who
Mo
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was a nice easy read.
I absolutely loved Ms Topper's book Louder than Love so I do like the author's writing style.

Laney ends up sitting beside Mr Suit in First Class on her way to her mother's wedding in Hawaii.

Noah is heading to Las Vegas for his Bachelor party.

"Vegas just seems so plastic," Laney went on. "Everything's a mirage. I mean, you're in the freakin' desert. Everyone having the time of their lives, please."

Well, now I visited Vegas last month and, yes, it's plastic b
Aditi
“There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment.”

----Sarah Dessen

Jessica Topper, an American author, weaves a heart-touching and romantic story, called Dictatorship of the Dress , about a wedding dress bearer and her journey to Hawaii through a series of airports and a number of flight delays and cancellations. And this is the first book in the Much "I Do" About Nothing series.

Synopsis:

As the dress-bearer for her
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 5 STARS ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
From the author of my best book choice of 2013, Louder Than Love, comes an all new story of learning to love, embrace, and let go. The past needs to be dealt with in order to learn how to live in the present.

Blown away: that’s what I was after reading. There is just that certain something Jessica Topper possesses that transforms her books into a memorable journey on the page. Once again, I am left pondering and rereading a story I hesitate to let go of.

Laney Hudson is dragging her mother’s wedd
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those wanting a bit of quirk with a wedding dress.
01/20/2014

This book is just quirky enough to work. Not as original as you'd think. I've read bits of this plot elsewhere, or have seen it in movies or TV, but it works and I enjoyed it.

Ms. Topper's debut book, Louder Than Love, was a 5 Star book for me in 2013. This doesn't happen often, so am very interested in any book from one of my 5 Star authors thereafter.

The Good:
1 -- The story is a fun one. It started well and kept flowing. I can't even imagine schlepping a wedding dress in bag through a
Kristi
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dictatorship of the Dress was such a well written gem. In one word this book was refreshing. It had a fun, smart story, witty characters, great pacing, and much needed depth.

Laney is a comic book author. She’s witty, fun, confident and in charge of getting her mother’s wedding dress across the country. Noah is a fun loving but overly stressed techie on his way to Vegas…He’s also nerdy in the best way possible. When unforeseen circumstances force them to stay together, these two connect in expec
Julia's Book Haven
Sigh I want to read this book, but I don't understand why the cheapest ebook price I can find of it is $10.99 that is crazy. That is what I would pay for a paperback, not a freaking ebook. This is definitely going down on the tbr list till the price goes down.
DeB MaRtEnS
A little chick lit morsel, inconvenient love at first sight, the rich unsuitably engaged handsome software developer, the self-doubting, cute cartoonist carrying her mother's wedding dress to Hawaii and a flight delay. A little bit of relaxation in print, after reading some heavy duty books.
A Meneses
Mar 14, 2017 added it
Shelves: didnt-finish
DNF

This was kind of fine half of the book. Then it dragged , became very corny and had unnecessary drama.
Christy LoveOfBooks

Dictatorship of the Dress is so stinkin’ cute! I was borderline not even in the mood to read it and was ready to jump ship if it didn’t immediately hook me. Turned out that that wasn’t a problem. I ended up enjoying this book a lot.

The whole setup is really good. Laney is in charge of getting her mother’s dress from NYC to Hawaii, and when assumptions are made, she’s bumped up to first class. Right next to Noah. When a huge storm in Chicago grounds all flights, they’re forced to spend a lot
Jessica
Jun 09, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Happy Heart Day from your favorite fictional comic book illustrator, Laney Hudson!

finalNoahLaneyVD

Thanks for all the comments and feedback on the book so far!

I'm taking a break from writing today to gather some eye candy - some of my favorite scenes from Dictatorship of the Dress inspired these Pictures & Words! Enjoy.

Click each for full-size goodness!

Dictatorship - Topper

Dictatorship - Topper

Dictatorship Topper

Dicatatorship - Topper

As always, feel free to share but please do not crop or alter! All quotes from Dictatorship of the Dress © Jessica Topper and Berkley.
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Ellie
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was different than what I expected, in a way even better, and I quite enjoyed it!

AS usual, this full review is posted also on Ellie Reads Fiction

I really enjoyed this book though it turned out to be different from what I expected. Based on the cover I thought it would be a light romantic comedy and while it had its funny times, it was much more serious and thought-provoking. It's not dark or depressing, but there is some sense of sadness, a lot of regret and a wonderful HEA.

I really enjoyed M
Ginette
Dec 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Really cute read.....liked the characters.
Sophia
I really didn't pay close attention to the blurb when I picked this one up (gasp, I know, should have warned everyone to be sitting down for that shocking announcement). I read the author's previous book and loved it so much that if I had time for re-reads, I would be re-reading it. I wanted that experience again and after shutting the cover, I honestly think she surpassed my previous experience.

Keywords and phrases to describe my latest Jessica Topper journey: sassy cartoonist music superhero g
K.L. Romo
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wfwa-reading
A mere misunderstanding is perpetuated during a flight to Hawaii, each white lie turning into another. Laney Hudson must take her mother’s wedding dress to Hawaii, a job she doesn't want, but can’t say no to. Everyone assumes the dress belongs to her, and since she’s offered an upgrade to First Class as a wedding present, she doesn’t argue.

Although Laney is the wild-child, she’s also quite intimidated by her mother. A gifted cartoonist, she even agreed to quit her job at Marvel comics for the sa
Kimberly
4.5 stars - Reviewed for Wit and Sin

Air travel is unpleasant on a good day, so having travel plans go awry isn’t the scenario you’d think of for a classic “meet-cute.” Yet that’s exactly what happens in the utterly charming Dictatorship of the Dress . Jessica Topper’s first Much “I Do” About Nothing is a fast-paced, engaging read featuring two loveable characters brought together by chance.

Laney and Noah were so easy to adore. Laney is a former comic book artist and she’s so creative and
☕️Kimberly
Coffee dates with Dictatorship of the Dress

First Date: We meet Laney Hudson at the airport, toting her mother’s wedding gown. Right away, I liked this snarky, outspoken comic book artist. Laney clearly has some hang-ups and I slipped right into the tale. Things are going wrong which seems to typical for Laney, but as luck would have it she is mistaken as a bride to be and bumped up to first class where she finds herself seated next to successful, dressed to impress, Noah Ridgewood. Noah is on hi
Jessica
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I have been meaning to read this book ever since it came out. I loved how it promised a story of a girl who was mistaken as the fiancé of the hunky guy next to her on the plane. How was that going to turn out? I had to see!

Laney Hudson has been given the job of transporting the dress to her mother's wedding in Hawaii. Laney is determined to not let her mom down, which means not letting that garment bag out of her sight. When Laney is mistaken as a bride and bumped to first class, Laney takes th
Christina
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2014
Complimentary copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

When Laney is enlisted by her mother to act as a courier for her wedding dress from New York to Hawaii, little did she know she would be embarking on the journey of a lifetime. Laney is jaded by her mom’s past partnerships and the relationship between mother and daughter has been strained as a result. When Laney boards the plane bound for Hawaii, with dress in tow, she finds herself taking advantage of the assumption t
Teresa Mary Rose
More Reviews Here: Readers Live A Thousand Lives

This book was adorable! Adorable and so much fun! This is the kind of book you pick up when you need something sweet and light. Something to read when you need a pick me up. It’ll make you laugh and make your heart happy. It is also a bit quirky and I loved that.

Laney was a fun character. At first I wasn’t sure we were going to get along, but as she opened up and I got to know her, I really came to love her. She is nerdy and quirky and I loved that
Melissa
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sweet, netgalley
5 'perfectious' stars

I ADORED this story. It was a cute and quirky reminder to follow your heart and find what makes you happy. With an alternating POV and a mix of memories, the author made me fall hard for ALL of these characters.

Laney Jane has let her mother dictate most of the decisions in her life, out of fear of disappointing her. She's living with regret, anger and feeling lost after the death of her high-school sweetheart and drummer extraordinaire, Allen. Taking off his class ring or e
Mary
Can I give this more than five stars?

Graphic artist Laney Hudson fell in love in with her high school sweetheart, made plans for a wedding and then her boyfriend left her right before the big day. She left her dream job as an artist for a famous comic book company and went to work for her mother's greeting card company. Although not fulfilling, she is reluctant to try anything new and her mother's constant put-downs as a screw up has not helped her self-esteem much either. When her mother decide
Erin
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars! This is one of my favorite book covers. I don't know what it is, but I adore the cover!

“Kissing Laney was like stepping into a hot shower on a cold day; that luxurious tingling sensation that starts at the back of your brain and rushes pleasure through your nerves. Once you were in, you craved more heat.”

If you love a true romance, then this book is for you!

Dictatorship of the Dress is the first book Ive read by Jessica Topper and I’m digging her. I always…ALWAYS enjoy a story more
Sheyla ✎
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Laney Hudson is dreading her flight to Hawaii. Her mother is getting married again and she's the one responsible to bring the wedding dress with her.
Noah Ridgewood is in route to Las Vegas to meet his Bachelor party. He's not sure if the feelings he's having are related to cold feet or his fiancée is the cold one.
By chance, Laney and Noah sit together and soon everyone thinks they are the engaged couple to be married. To stay in first class, Laney rolls with the lie.
This is a perfect example o
Amber
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book from PBC in exchange for an honest review. From the beginning I knew I was probably going to like this book. I really like the authors writing style and the way the book flows. This book introduces us to Laney Hudson. Who is superb at drawing. She is on a mission to get her mothers wedding dress from New York to Hawaii. She accidentally gets mistaken for the bride and then bumped up to first class. She doesn't correct it thinking a little pampering and relaxation is earned. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Rumor Has It (Animal Magnetism, #4)
  • Wrong to Need You (Forbidden Hearts, #2)
  • Luck of the Draw (Chance of a Lifetime #2)
  • Animal Attraction (Animal Magnetism, #2)
  • Headliners (London Celebrities, #5)
  • 69 Million Things I Hate About You (Winning the Billionaire, #1)
  • Animal Magnetism (Animal Magnetism, #1)
  • Ghosting: A Love Story
  • The Two-Date Rule (Smokejumper, #1)
  • Always the Last to Know
  • Not Like the Movies (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #2)
  • Already Home
  • When We Met (Fool's Gold, #13)
  • The Friendship List
  • Until We Touch (Fool's Gold, #15)
  • Kiss My Cupcake
  • Then Came You (Animal Magnetism, #5)
  • The Marriage Pact (The Brides of Bliss County, #1)
Rock. Write. Repeat.

Jessica Topper broke the rock romance mold with her 2013 debut novel LOUDER THAN LOVE. Her follow-up romantic comedy, DICTATORSHIP OF THE DRESS, was named one of Publishers Weekly’s Best Books of 2015.

After working almost two decades in the music industry, Jessica hung up her touring boots in order to concentrate on her writing. She lives in Western New York with two cats who l

Much "I Do" About Nothing (2 books)
  • Courtship of the Cake (Much "I Do" About Nothing, #2)

News & Interviews

“So. Food? My treat.”

I touched my belly. It wasn’t exactly full, and neither was my wallet. I hoped my mom would take five minutes out of her prewedding bliss to remember to run payroll on time. “I don’t know. That yogurt really filled me up.”

“Oh, bull. You totally had asparagus envy.” He had me there. “Sushi in the food court?”

I could roll with that.”
0 likes
“...you should’ve seen me ready to shiv security for making me take my ring off earlier.”
I frowned as I accidently lost control of my chopsticks, my California roll dropping into the little plastic cup of soy sauce. “See?Sounds like classic Bridezilla behavior to me.”
She almost choked on her wasabi-laced sushi piece. “Bridezilla? I am the least likely person to turn Bridezilla you will ever meet. In fact, I am like the Mothra of the Bridezilla world.”
“Mothra.” I tsked. “Pedestrian. Destoroyah—no, Bridestoroyah—could totally take on Bridezilla.”
“You have the chopstick skill level of a preschooler, and you dare to go around citing Japanese monster movie characters to me?” Laney seethed. “I have my reasons for choosing Mothra.”
“Yeah?” I stabbed my chopsticks straight through the middle of my errant sushi piece. “Let’s hear them.”
“Don’t, it’s bad luck!” she exclaimed.
“What, to talk to a bride about her wedding dress before the big day?” And I thought Sloane was taking the wedding superstitions too far.
“No, to stab your chopstick through the middle of your food.” She reached across the table and readjusted my sticks for me with one hand. I noticed she kept her other hand on the garment bag riding shotgun in the chair next to her. Its midnight blue sheen and fancy silver embroidery looked out of place in the middle of the airport food court.”
0 likes