Start by marking “Dictatorship of the Dress (Much "I Do" About Nothing, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dictatorship of the Dress (Much "I Do" About Nothing, #1)

Dictatorship of the Dress (Much "I Do" About Nothing #1)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  623 Ratings  ·  135 Reviews
As the dress-bearer for her mother’s wedding, comic book artist Laney Hudson has a lot more baggage than the bulky garment bag she’s lugging from New York to Hawaii. Laney is determined to prove she’s capable of doing something right, but running chores for her mom’s fairytale nuptials is proving to be a painfully constant reminder of her own lost love.

So when she’s mistak
Published January 6th 2015 by Berkley Trade

To ask other readers questions about Dictatorship of the Dress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dictatorship of the Dress

Baba
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars. Review posted December 8, 2014

photo oie_cJpOYo9J2IiF_zpstsdpgudg.gif

photo oie_DkmYUUG1mOW8_zpsetghblxn.gif

photo oie_HcPyRa2Pce9S_zpsgwl3sjyq.gif

"Oh, am I supposed to get down on my knees and thank you? If you're looking for some alcohol-infused camaraderie or sleazy movie fantasy hookup out of this, you are sadly barking up the wrong tree."

photo oie_PiApxKqkuIve_zpsb7tvlzmp.gif

photo oie_RPcSnR6XEeWa_zpstfbzbiid.gif

Having been inspired by the story, here is my own short summary:

Hello, Tech-Boy!
Come out of your self-inflicted sensory-overloaded bubble
Tear out all the crazy wires, unplug your adapters
My Magic 8 Ball will lead the way to a grand adventure
And show you there's
Jill
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it

I tried a few times to read Ms Topper's debut, Louder Than Love but the opening was far too slow and chick-lit-ish for my tastes. However, I'm glad I read this one.

Jessica Topper writes very well, with a deft hand. Her main characters are likeable, realistic and mature, but fun. There's quite a deal of depth to the story, especially the heroine's character. The growing relationship between Noah, the hero and Laney is wonderful, and though they fall in love pretty quickly, given that
Jennifer Kyle
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25 Stars

"You've heard of a ring bearer, right? Well, I'm just the dress bearer. For my mother."

description

This story was so much more than I had expected. The story is told in alternating povs and it was highly enjoyable and to my surprise it even delivered on the depth factor. The author tugged on my heartstrings with the slow reveal of Laney’s lost love of her past. Laney Hudson is a comic book writer (comic fans will highly enjoy her) who is on her way to Hawaii to deliver her mother’s wedding gown
Alex is The Romance Fox
4,5 stars
I have just discovered Jessica Topper and after reading two of her books……she’s beyond…
 photo tumblr_mnh0mtybat1rnwugoo1_500_zpscplu6tg5.gif
Having loved Louder than Love, her debut novel….https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... , I couldn’t wait to start on another one of hers!! And just keeping my fingers crossed that I would not be disappointed!!!! Well, let me just say….not even a smidgen!!!

Dictatorship of the Dress is the 1st book in her Much “I Do” About Nothing Series…a fresh and unique take on two of the most unlikely people who
Mo
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was a nice easy read.
I absolutely loved Ms Topper's book Louder than Love so I do like the author's writing style.

Laney ends up sitting beside Mr Suit in First Class on her way to her mother's wedding in Hawaii.

Noah is heading to Las Vegas for his Bachelor party.

"Vegas just seems so plastic," Laney went on. "Everything's a mirage. I mean, you're in the freakin' desert. Everyone having the time of their lives, please."

Well, now I visited Vegas last month and, yes, it's plastic but
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5 STARS ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Aditi
“There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment.”

----Sarah Dessen

Jessica Topper, an American author, weaves a heart-touching and romantic story, called Dictatorship of the Dress , about a wedding dress bearer and her journey to Hawaii through a series of airports and a number of flight delays and cancellations. And this is the first book in the Much "I Do" About Nothing series.

Synopsis:

As the dress-bearer for her
Tanja ~ KT Book Reviews
From the author of my best book choice of 2013, Louder Than Love, comes an all new story of learning to love, embrace, and let go. The past needs to be dealt with in order to learn how to live in the present.

Blown away: that’s what I was after reading. There is just that certain something Jessica Topper possesses that transforms her books into a memorable journey on the page. Once again, I am left pondering and rereading a story I hesitate to let go of.

Laney Hudson is dragging her mother’s wedd
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those wanting a bit of quirk with a wedding dress.
01/20/2014

This book is just quirky enough to work. Not as original as you'd think. I've read bits of this plot elsewhere, or have seen it in movies or TV, but it works and I enjoyed it.

Ms. Topper's debut book, Louder Than Love, was a 5 Star book for me in 2013. This doesn't happen often, so am very interested in any book from one of my 5 Star authors thereafter.

The Good:
1 -- The story is a fun one. It started well and kept flowing. I can't even imagine schlepping a wedding dress in bag through a
Kristi
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dictatorship of the Dress was such a well written gem. In one word this book was refreshing. It had a fun, smart story, witty characters, great pacing, and much needed depth.

Laney is a comic book author. She’s witty, fun, confident and in charge of getting her mother’s wedding dress across the country. Noah is a fun loving but overly stressed techie on his way to Vegas…He’s also nerdy in the best way possible. When unforeseen circumstances force them to stay together, these two connect in expec
DeB MaRtEnS
A little chick lit morsel, inconvenient love at first sight, the rich unsuitably engaged handsome software developer, the self-doubting, cute cartoonist carrying her mother's wedding dress to Hawaii and a flight delay. A little bit of relaxation in print, after reading some heavy duty books.
Julia's Book Haven
Sigh I want to read this book, but I don't understand why the cheapest ebook price I can find of it is $10.99 that is crazy. That is what I would pay for a paperback, not a freaking ebook. This is definitely going down on the tbr list till the price goes down.
A Meneses
Mar 14, 2017 added it
Shelves: didnt-finish
DNF

This was kind of fine half of the book. Then it dragged , became very corny and had unnecessary drama.
Christy LoveOfBooks

Dictatorship of the Dress is so stinkin’ cute! I was borderline not even in the mood to read it and was ready to jump ship if it didn’t immediately hook me. Turned out that that wasn’t a problem. I ended up enjoying this book a lot.

The whole setup is really good. Laney is in charge of getting her mother’s dress from NYC to Hawaii, and when assumptions are made, she’s bumped up to first class. Right next to Noah. When a huge storm in Chicago grounds all flights, they’re forced to spend a lot mo
Jessica
Jun 09, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Happy Heart Day from your favorite fictional comic book illustrator, Laney Hudson!

finalNoahLaneyVD

Thanks for all the comments and feedback on the book so far!

I'm taking a break from writing today to gather some eye candy - some of my favorite scenes from Dictatorship of the Dress inspired these Pictures & Words! Enjoy.

Click each for full-size goodness!

Dictatorship - Topper

Dictatorship - Topper

Dictatorship Topper

Dicatatorship - Topper

As always, feel free to share but please do not crop or alter! All quotes from Dictatorship of the Dress © Jessica Topper and Berkley.
Ellie
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was different than what I expected, in a way even better, and I quite enjoyed it!

AS usual, this full review is posted also on Ellie Reads Fiction

I really enjoyed this book though it turned out to be different from what I expected. Based on the cover I thought it would be a light romantic comedy and while it had its funny times, it was much more serious and thought-provoking. It's not dark or depressing, but there is some sense of sadness, a lot of regret and a wonderful HEA.

I really enjoyed M
Ginette
Dec 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Really cute read.....liked the characters.
Sophia
I really didn't pay close attention to the blurb when I picked this one up (gasp, I know, should have warned everyone to be sitting down for that shocking announcement). I read the author's previous book and loved it so much that if I had time for re-reads, I would be re-reading it. I wanted that experience again and after shutting the cover, I honestly think she surpassed my previous experience.

Keywords and phrases to describe my latest Jessica Topper journey: sassy cartoonist music superhero g
K.L. Romo
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wfwa-reading
A mere misunderstanding is perpetuated during a flight to Hawaii, each white lie turning into another. Laney Hudson must take her mother’s wedding dress to Hawaii, a job she doesn't want, but can’t say no to. Everyone assumes the dress belongs to her, and since she’s offered an upgrade to First Class as a wedding present, she doesn’t argue.

Although Laney is the wild-child, she’s also quite intimidated by her mother. A gifted cartoonist, she even agreed to quit her job at Marvel comics for the sa
☕ Kimberly
Coffee dates with Dictatorship of the Dress

First Date: We meet Laney Hudson at the airport, toting her mother’s wedding gown. Right away, I liked this snarky, outspoken comic book artist. Laney clearly has some hang-ups and I slipped right into the tale. Things are going wrong which seems to typical for Laney, but as luck would have it she is mistaken as a bride to be and bumped up to first class where she finds herself seated next to successful, dressed to impress, Noah Ridgewood. Noah is on hi
Lauren at Live Read and Breathe Reviews

4 Cathartic Stars!!

Source: eARC for Honest Review Courtesy of Berkley Trade/Penguin

When I first started to read Dictatorship of the Dress I was a bit torn because I loved the witty angsty banter between these two strangers but with the flashbacks and past thoughts at times I felt it was all over the place. But once I got to the meat and potatoes of the story I WAS HOOKED!

"Your mom chose this dress. This is her dream, for herself. Not for you. You have your own dreams that you would choose. Hers
Christina
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2014
Complimentary copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

When Laney is enlisted by her mother to act as a courier for her wedding dress from New York to Hawaii, little did she know she would be embarking on the journey of a lifetime. Laney is jaded by her mom’s past partnerships and the relationship between mother and daughter has been strained as a result. When Laney boards the plane bound for Hawaii, with dress in tow, she finds herself taking advantage of the assumption t
Jessica
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I have been meaning to read this book ever since it came out. I loved how it promised a story of a girl who was mistaken as the fiancé of the hunky guy next to her on the plane. How was that going to turn out? I had to see!

Laney Hudson has been given the job of transporting the dress to her mother's wedding in Hawaii. Laney is determined to not let her mom down, which means not letting that garment bag out of her sight. When Laney is mistaken as a bride and bumped to first class, Laney takes th
Teresa Mary Rose
More Reviews Here: Readers Live A Thousand Lives

This book was adorable! Adorable and so much fun! This is the kind of book you pick up when you need something sweet and light. Something to read when you need a pick me up. It’ll make you laugh and make your heart happy. It is also a bit quirky and I loved that.

Laney was a fun character. At first I wasn’t sure we were going to get along, but as she opened up and I got to know her, I really came to love her. She is nerdy and quirky and I loved that
Mary (BookHounds)
Can I give this more than five stars?

Graphic artist Laney Hudson fell in love in with her high school sweetheart, made plans for a wedding and then her boyfriend left her right before the big day. She left her dream job as an artist for a famous comic book company and went to work for her mother's greeting card company. Although not fulfilling, she is reluctant to try anything new and her mother's constant put-downs as a screw up has not helped her self-esteem much either. When her mother decide
Sheyla ✎
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Laney Hudson is dreading her flight to Hawaii. Her mother is getting married again and she's the one responsible to bring the wedding dress with her.
Noah Ridgewood is in route to Las Vegas to meet his Bachelor party. He's not sure if the feelings he's having are related to cold feet or his fiancée is the cold one.
By chance, Laney and Noah sit together and soon everyone thinks they are the engaged couple to be married. To stay in first class, Laney rolls with the lie.
This is a perfect example o
Erin
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars! This is one of my favorite book covers. I don't know what it is, but I adore the cover!

“Kissing Laney was like stepping into a hot shower on a cold day; that luxurious tingling sensation that starts at the back of your brain and rushes pleasure through your nerves. Once you were in, you craved more heat.”

If you love a true romance, then this book is for you!

Dictatorship of the Dress is the first book Ive read by Jessica Topper and I’m digging her. I always…ALWAYS enjoy a story more w
Amber
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book from PBC in exchange for an honest review. From the beginning I knew I was probably going to like this book. I really like the authors writing style and the way the book flows. This book introduces us to Laney Hudson. Who is superb at drawing. She is on a mission to get her mothers wedding dress from New York to Hawaii. She accidentally gets mistaken for the bride and then bumped up to first class. She doesn't correct it thinking a little pampering and relaxation is earned. ...more
Hasini (Ink On Paper)
I'm giving this book a solid 4.5 stars!!!

I loved this book from the moment I started reading it! I love how Laney & Noah fit together this perfect whole, and it's absolutely magical!

The first thing that attracted me to this story was the whole airport part. I think it's coz of my frequent visits to the airport, I'm really starting to obsess over airport love stories! Lol!

In the end, this story was perfect in my eyes! I absolutely loved the characters, and the story! It was magical from the
Jen
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fv, topper
Noah and Laney

Really good book. Loved the characters and loved how the story was laid out with flashbacks of Laney's past and Noah's present. Great way to start 2015. Full review to come on Fiction Vixen Book Reviews
  • Miles from Kara (Charleston Haven, #2)
  • '90s Playlist (Romance Rewind, #1)
  • Leveling the Field (Gamers #4)
  • The Deepest Blue (Roadmap to Your Heart #3)
  • Greta and the Lost Army (Mylena Chronicles, #3)
  • A Wedding in Springtime (Marriage Mart, #1)
  • Back in Play (Power Play, #2)
  • The Good Chase (Highland Games #2)
  • Fly With Me (Wild Aces, #1)
  • Shattered Witness
  • Party Lines (The Easy Part, #3)
  • The Master (Submissive, #8)
  • Flawed (Perfection, #2)
  • Come On Closer (Harvest Cove, #4)
  • A Vault of Sins (Chaos Theory, #2)
  • Hot Rock
  • Descent (Kissed by Death, #3)
  • Cup of Sugar (Close to Home, #1)
Jessica Topper is an ex-librarian turned rock n' roll number cruncher. She can trace her love for the written word back to age three, when she memorized Maurice Sendak's "Chicken Soup with Rice" in its entirety.

After her daughter was born, Jessica left the Manhattan library world and began working for her husband's music management company. He offered her a part-time bookkeeping job so she could "
More about Jessica Topper

Much "I Do" About Nothing (2 books)
  • Courtship of the Cake (Much "I Do" About Nothing, #2)

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • Love, Lucas
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
  • In The Flesh
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)