Start by marking “Julia Vanishes” as Want to Read:
Julia Vanishes

Julia Vanishes

(Witch's Child #1)

Julia has the unusual ability to be . . . unseen. Not invisible, exactly. Just beyond most people's senses.

It's a dangerous trait in a city that has banned all forms of magic and drowns witches in public Cleansings. But it's a useful trait for a thief and a spy. And Julia has learned--crime pays.

Her latest job is paying very well indeed. Julia is posing as a housemaid in
Published June 7th 2016 by Doubleday Canada

To ask other readers questions about Julia Vanishes, please sign up.
Kimberley Yes, there are three established romances, and then there is pending romance? That is as far as I am willing to answer without destroying the story.
Catherine Egan Hi! It is listed as 14 and up, which sounds about right to me, but I also know an 11-year-old who recently read and enjoyed it. It depends so much on …moreHi! It is listed as 14 and up, which sounds about right to me, but I also know an 11-year-old who recently read and enjoyed it. It depends so much on the person. As far as "appropriateness" - the protagonist is 16 and she has a lover, but there is nothing very explicit in the book. There is some violence, but I'd say milder than something like The Hunger Games. I'm not going around recommending it to the under-13 set, but a bookish kid who can handle somewhat mature content might like it. Hope that helps!(less)

Start your review of Julia Vanishes
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
(3.5)

I'm going to do a full video review on this book, but know that I really liked this book! It isn't perfect by any means, but I see it's potential & I'm looking forward to seeing this trilogy play out.
Christine Riccio
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it
This is really close to four stars like 3.89. It was just hard to get into initially so I feel like I can't give it the full four stars, but it was definitely a really interesting, different take on witches and I enjoyed that aspect of it alot. Here's my full review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRXrM... ...more
Helen 2.0
It is not in my nature to turn away. Not I - I look my nightmares in the eye. And if my nightmares should look back, they see nothing but shadow. I am not there.
4.5 stars! Fantastic!

Julia Vanishes plays in a world much like our own in the early 20th century, except that magic is deeply rooted in the world's history and violently persecuted in the present. Witches wield power by writing out their wishes in ink; if discovered they are publicly drowned for witchcraft. Julia's mother suffered t
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“I look my nightmares in the eye. And if my nightmares should look back, they see nothing but shadow.”

This book was wonderful and sadly it looks like it is going to be an underrated gem.

You can find this review and all of my other reviews at Novel Descent Thanks for the support!

How does this book have under 500 ratings on Goodreads?!?!?!?! Seriously? Where is the hype on this one!!!! I remember hearing about this book earlier this year on most-anticipated lists on bloggers sites and
Robyn
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
What an intriguing fantasy world, and a great main character, too. In a world different and yet not so terribly different than our 19th century world (where the witch trials remain, because there really are witches) a merry little gang of thieves and con artists become involved in something much, much bigger.
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

4.5 Stars

Julia Vanishes is one of the most epic books I've read in a while. This fantasy novel has everything--witches, a spy, thievery, and a main character who can vanish. What I especially enjoyed was the original way that the witchcraft was incorporated. I adored this book and would definitely recommend it.

Julia Vanishes is such a unique novel! This book is all about a girl who pretends to be a maid so she can spy on the people in the house. This book contains
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Julia Vanishes is best labeled as historical fantasy with a distinct Victorian feel. Julia lives in Spira City, where servants are generally illiterate, witches are killed publicly and regularly, and propriety is the highest priority for everyone. Egan provides wonderful descriptions of Julia’s surroundings, without them being a burden for the narrative. While not exactly atmospheric, Julia Vanishes is deeply dependent upon its detailed setting.

Julia has the marvelous ability to remain unseen.
Carrie
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
When Julia was a small child her mother was torn away from her. Living in a city that had banned all forms of magic Julia's mother was drowned in a public cleansing when it was found out that she was a witch. Julia discovers that she is not like her mother but she does have her own ability, she can be what she thinks of as unseen, not invisible exactly but outside of other's senses.

As Julia got older she decides to use her ability to become a thief and a spy as she's found out that crime pays a
Bookworm Extraordinaire
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. It had a bit of a steampunk feel to it. The story sucked me in and kept me interested all the way through. The characters were interesting and well developed. The magical element and World building was unique and done well. It doesn't end on a cliffy, but it is left in such a way as I'm sure we'll be seeing a book two eventually.

Overall, a really delightful read.
Vita Mia
Let's start by saying that Spira City, a world with witches and peculiar creatures did not seem real at all to me. It seemed like a joke.
The city is described as if it came out from the Middle Age, a time where the fear of witches was "real". This is okay. But then these witches turn out to be real witches (at least most of them), and wolf-men and other weird creepy creatures are real too and they seem so modern that I could't quite picture them in a city like that. It didn't all blend well toge
Helen
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd put off reading this repeatedly and now I can't decide why I did so! It was great.

Initially the first person, present felt odd but you quickly settle in and become inexplicably stuck, unable to leave. Dishes remain unwashed. TV remained almost unwatched. Fret not, I ate :)

Julia is undercover, not knowing who she's working for or what she's looking for. The job just seems to get more mysterious too. And dangerous. It feels as though danger surrounds and threatens from all sides.

This is the
Carol Storm
Feb 13, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julia lives in a seedy boardinghouse with a bunch of crooks, and she spies and steals for important clients. The gang lives hand to mouth in a rundown neighborhood in a rundown city called Spira, where witchcraft is illegal and witches are publicly drowned by the local strongman, Augustine "Witchfinder General" Horsky. Julia's mother was a witch, so Julia hates the government. But she puts her own survival ahead of everything else.

Julia's new assignment is to work undercover as a chambermaid at
Amy
Would have been 5 stars except for the COMPLETELY POINTLESS and INFURIATING attempted rape. PLEASE, authors, can we stop with this?! You can't think of any other situation that would show a heroine in danger? You are normalizing a very serious issue and turning it into a trope. It's plain old bad writing.

Other than that, I really loved this book!! Like, really loved it! Had some slow spots but I loved the characters and loved Julia. A great start to a great series. That's why I'm still upset ab
Amanda
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up. After a somewhat slow start this really takes off and I'm excited to see where the trilogy is going to go. ...more
Logan Price
I don't feel that this book got enough hype after it was released so please allow me to hype you!!!!

This book is SOOOOOOOO good. It is mysterious, plot driven, still has good character development, non-cheesy "romance" that doesn't take over the character, strong female lead, thievery, a dystopian feel, witches, magic, high fantasy, and so on. If any of these is something you enjoy reading READ THIS.

Some people who have read this feel that the author didn't go into Julia's vanishing as much as
Allison
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

What a fabulously witchy start to a new trilogy! I'm deep into my obsession with YA novels about witches (Engelsfors, Lovegrove, the Witch Hunter) and this is a great addition to my list of favorites.

Julia is an imperfectly tough and take-no-shit narrator. She's refreshingly cynical and not afraid to make the hard romantic decisions so many YA protagonists seem to have difficulty with. The supporting cast (other criminals, ancient entities, and lots of WITCHES :D), magic system, and world-
rin
I should've just DNFed it earlier :/ My problem with this book is that it was extremely boring for me. It had a promising premise and ideas of great potential, but everything ended up in ruins. ...more
Jasmine
Everyone here is unpleasant and likeable. It's fantastic. ...more
Kira
DNF@33%

I tried. I really did, but I was so damn bored. After reading a third of the book, nothing that was going on mattered to me. I was reading this at work and decided to do actual work instead because that sounded more interesting. That was when I realized this is not the book for me.

Julia was posing as a maid to get info on the people at the house. Clearly whatever was going on involved witches and werewolves. Julia hated witches. They were evil. She was in complete denial about the fact th
Michelle
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it

I have been totally loving reading books in a series back to back. This is the summer of the binge read for me. So I decided to do that with books one and two in the Witch's Child series. So this is a combined review for books one and two in the Witch's Child series by Catherine Egan.

The first two books in the Witch's Child Series by Catherine Egan are Julia Vanishes and Julia Defiant. The books got a beautiful new c
Cesar
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

When Julia Vanishes was first published, I had no interest in reading it because of 2 reasons.

1) The plot didn't catch my attention.
2) The Hardcover version had a cover that didn't draw me in.

Weird reasons, I know. But last week, I saw the paperback version of Julia Defiant and the recently released Julia Unbound. After some thought (and by 'some though' I mean 30 seconds because I was in a bookstore and didn't want people to look at me), I bought them and ordered the paperback version of
O
Julia spies. Julia steals. Julia vanishes.

I adored this book. Julia reminded me of a grown up Lyra Belacqua, stubborn, with a hundred faults, but brave and willing to own up to and fix her mistakes.

A professional spy and thief, Julia poses as a housemaid to spy on the mysterious Mrs. Och and her strange houseguests, including a disgraced professor with a collection of forbidden books, a man who locks himself in the basement at night, and a woman and child who are being hunted by a sinister bein
Eric Boot
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
another time maybe - this is not the right kind of book to get out of a reading slump
TheYALibrarian
Tori Thompson
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK.

God, this book.

The June release date on this book feels like a personal offense. I saw this sitting on our shelf of ARCs months ago, and picked it up thinking that it sounded like something I would really enjoy; but the publication was dated for quite a ways away, so it went on my post-December-release shelf and sat there for a couple of weeks. I grew bored and disinterested with all of the books I had on my now-through-December shelf, so I decided to let myself try something further o
joey (thoughts and afterthoughts)
...I really don't know how to rate this book.

Take every genre you can think of and put it into a blender. This is your product.

--full review pending.
Claire (Book Blog Bird)

The worldbuilding in this book was great. Really great. But that was pretty much all I liked about this book.

Julia can vanish. She can take a step and filter into the gap between worlds to become unseen and this makes her pretty useful to those who operate in the seamy underbelly of society.

When she is given an assignment to act as a housemaid and spy on the occupants of the house, she thinks no problem. But pretty soon she gets wrapped up in goings-on that are beyond her control.

I fini
Bibliophile Rose
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2016
Well written, I liked the storyn. There was so many events.
Julia!!! ahhh!! I really love this character, she's a kickass.
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
Guys! Guys! Guys! This book! OMG!

Julia Vanishes is about...well...Julia. She is a teenage girl who is a criminal. She just one criminal of a larger network of criminals. She finds the money is good and is much better than what she could earn doing an "honest" days work, so she has no plans on changing her direction in life.

This story takes place while she is working as a spy in a well to do household. She is undercover as a housemaid and is to report any and all things that happen in the house.
Gwen
Nice light and fun read that is by no means taxing to those little grey cells, I think this is what is catergorised as new adult as there are scenes of implicit sex, with more emphasis on the story rather than relationships. (Please correct me if i am wrong because I am not sure what New Adult means)
Julia is a survivor and will go to any lengths to do just that, she makes use of her gifts in world where witches are drowned for practicing their skills or even not, as part of a political cleansing
Más libros para Latinoamérica!! 1 2 May 19, 2017 03:15PM
The Very Omnibus ...: September's BotM-Julia Vanishes 1 6 Sep 21, 2016 12:50PM
Review for 'Julia Vanishes' 2 8 Jul 29, 2016 04:15PM

• Sakura: Die Vollkommenen
  • Die Bestimmte (Chosen, #1)
  • Das Erwachen (Chosen, #2)
  • Das verborgene Tor (Zeitenzauber, #3)
  • Die Welt wird brennen (Ophelia Scale, #1)
  • Palace of Glass: Die Wächterin (Palace-Saga, #1)
  • Spectacle (Spectacle, #1)
  • The Black Key (The Lone City, #3)
  • Flying High (Hailee & Chase, #2)
  • Vanoras Fluch (The Curse, #1)
  • Midnight Thief (Midnight Thief, #1)
  • Für immer verloren (Sturmtochter, #2)
  • Die Apfelprinzessin (Die Grimm-Chroniken, #1)
  • Awaken (Awaken, #1)
  • Für immer verboten (Sturmtochter, #1)
  • The Better Brain Solution: How to Start Now--At Any Age--To Reverse and Prevent Insulin Resistance of the Brain, Sharpen Cognitive Function, and Avoid Memory Loss
  • Princess of Thorns
  • The Marked Girl (Marked Girl, #1)
My superpowers: high-kicking, list-making, simultaneously holding two opposing opinions
My weaknesses: fear of flying, excessive list-making, lame-ass mortality
My allies: The Canadian Mounties, my made-for-walking-in black boots, Mick, the English Language
My enemies: decaf, low blood sugar, the passage of time
My mission: the coexistence of ambivalence and joy.

Witch's Child (3 books)
  • Julia Defiant (Witch's Child, #2)
  • Julia Unbound (Witch's Child, #3)