Start by marking “The Invisible War: What Every Believer Needs to Know about Satan, Demons, and Spiritual Warfare” as Want to Read:

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  535 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Examines what believers need to know about Satan, demons, and spiritual warfare. This book helps Christians understand what the Bible says about these threats and shows them how they can safeguard themselves and their families through prayer.
Published January 1st 2007 by Baker Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Invisible War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invisible War

Deborah
Reviewed by Herb:
I presented a workshop on Spiritual Warfare this year and read a handful of books on the subject, some academic and others more practical, but this is the book I am recommending among them all. It is short, concise, with an easy format and helpful scriptural basis. Don’t be scared away by the title – it is not a book filled with demon stories, but rather a look at the biblical balance of the flesh, the world, and the Devil. I particular found practical Ingram’s focus on our batt
Michelle
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I will need to read again to get everything out of it. It was very informative and I liked that it was well balanced about this subject.
I listened to the book on Audible that was read by Dave Drui. If you are going to listen to the book I strongly suggest you listen to this version because Dave's voice is pleasant. I originally tried to listen to the book with the author reading and his voice was grating on me. I will be purchasing the hard copy of this book so I can make no
Patti Greene
An excellent book on Spiritual Warfare. I highly recommend it!
Ed
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book concerning the spiritual warfare of the Christian. Ingram divides the book up into four major parts: Spiritual Warfare 101 - What every believer needs to know; Spiritual Warfare 201 - How to prepare yourself for Spiritual Battle; Spiritual Warfare 301 - How to do battle with the enemy and win; Spiritual Warfare 401 - Deliverance from demonic influence. He uses much Scripture to defend what he is teaching. At the end of each chapter, he has a section on Personal Applica ...more
Jason
Apr 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This book really got me to thinking more about the realities of spiritual warfare and being more cognizant of it in our lives. It is certainly easy to accept spiritual warfare in the Bible and to say...ok, it may have happened back when Christ was around...but, to think about it in today's terms with current culturally accepted practices is very sobering. I also appreciated the perspective Chip brought on putting on the armor of God. I always thought that it was used too much as a checklist ...more
Stevie
Dec 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
This a well balanced book on spiritual warfare that gave me a lot of insight to the Invisible War.

"We do not fight for victory, but from victory"

Application:

Be aware of the enemy's influence in my life and others

Prayer consistently, intensely, and strategically

Memorize:
James 4:7
1 John 4:4
1 John 5:4-5
Revelation 12:11
Douglas Brock
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An excellent, balanced, biblical view of the subject of demonic activity and the Christian's responsibility to recognize and to stand and wage war against these very real forces. Satan and his forces are formidable, but are not to be feared. Jesus has already won the victory and we battle from this victory, not for it.
Mac
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Ingram does a fantastic job of really diving into what it means and looks like to wield the armor of God in relation to spiritual warfare. I really think there's a solid amount of practical knowledge in this book that many Christians need to know and use for themselves and God's kingdom. Very much worth reading.
John Nichols
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ready reference for believers wanting guidance on spiritual warfare. Logical layout with summaries giving key Scripture references before major sections. Many practical examples and strategies for winning the war.
Melissa
This book was helpful and provided a lot of useful, biblical information about spiritual warfare. I was turned off a bit in the final section of the book because of too many references to people dressed in black/Goth clothing who were also into the occult or influenced by demons, and by one story about missionaries that was presented as fact (it was published in a reputable magazine, the writer says), but that has no identifying details and can't be backed up with Internet research. The Goth-dem ...more
Kevyn Monier
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This by far has to be one of the best Christian books I have ever read. Without going into great detail, I am going through a challenging time that is still ongoing. I have sought counsel from people that are more mature in Christ. I have repeatedly been told to stand firm on God's promises. I could grasp this concept intellectually but I never knew how to apply this spiritually. This Book with the help of Scripture taught me how.
cynthia
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read

I chose this book to help me prepare for my upcoming trips to countries and people who are considered part of the unreached by Gods word. After reading "The Invisible War" I feel that I am more equipped to face the invisible forces that seek to stop me from sharing Gods Word.
Thanks for sharing!
Penny
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting view on demonic activity, and warfare from a christian standpoint.
Amber
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-war-room
I powerful insight to Spiritual Warfare every believer should read.
Victoria
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very eye opening book about spiritual warfare. I really enjoyed the insight in this book and that it was written in a way that I could choose to read it all the way through or break it down. I chose to use it as a devotional and read it in sections. There are questions at the end of each chapter to make you think and analyze yourself and outlines to make you understand key points. It explained the armor of God in a way I have not really heard before comparing it to a soldier and breaking it do ...more
Dawn Hamsher
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The whole book is chalk-full of practical "how to" ways to stay in the Lord and fight spiritual battles when they arise. This book was mentioned in another book, "For the Joy Set Before Us" by Erica Fye and I am so glad I got it! Chip Ingram has extensive experience with spiritual warfare and is a wealth of knowledge. It was eye-opening, giving real-life examples of spiritual warfare going on in the U.S. and overseas. It also gives reasons why most Western Christians don't seem to experience muc ...more
Linda
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a concise guide to spiritual warfare. Chip Ingram gives a well-balanced and biblical approach to how we should arm and defend ourselves in spiritual battle. His book is divided into 4 sections: 101- What Every Believer Needs to Know, 201- How to Prepare Yourself for Spiritual Battle, 301- How to Do Battle with the Enemy and Win, and 401- Deliverance from Demonic Influence. He has done battle himself many times and gives personal examples to further illustrate the concepts he is rela ...more
Nancy Bandusky
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
The author provides information regarding the war we are in whether we think we are or not! Using biblical support, without sensationalism, he builds a firm foundation for what is happening in this war and why it is still important to fight despite the outcome already being decided, how we should protect ourselves and how we should prepare for battle. It is a wake-up call to the sleepy American Christian that thinks the war isn't here.
Melissa
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Chip Ingram faithfully walks the line between not giving "the invisible war" enough credence and giving it to much. His teaching is biblically solid, and it offers hope. I think every believer needs good teaching on this subject, and this book is a great place to get it. I highly recommend this to anyone who is tempted to ignore this part of biblical teaching and to anyone who suspects they may be caught in the middle of the invisible war. I highly recommend this book!
Matt
Although I didn't finish this book, I gave it one star for the sheer amount of times I tried to read it and couldn't get into it. I finally had enough, so I'm using this review to warn you. Don't bother with this book. Even though I'm sure that Chip Ingram is a good guy, this book was not engaging, and felt below elementary to me. Sorry, Chip.

P.S. - I got rid of this book. It is finally, after years, out of my home.
James Kim
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, church
This is one of the most biblical, practical, readable books about spiritual warfare I've read. I wish all my friends and church members would read this book to get a better understanding of the reality of the Kingdom of God that is fully present in Christ and that which will be fully realized when Christ returns.
Steve Penner
This is a very balanced view of spiritual warfare as it uses Paul's illustration of putting on the full armor of God to explain how our enemy, the devil, tries to attack, distract, accuse and abuse us. Most important takeaway: we stand and we fight from victory not for victory. An excellent choice for a small group who wants to grow in their awareness of the battle.
Carol Shinde
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. It was so helpful in understanding spiritual warfare. I have the DVD and workbook as well. Chip is a very gifted teacher. He's very down to earth but bold in his teaching. He doesn't mince words and he backs everything up with Scripture. If anyone is struggling with spiritual warfare, I highly suggest reading this book and doing the series.
Kim
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The cover looks a little crazy, but the book itself is a fantastic look at spiritual armor as outlined in Ephesians 6 and the tools that God has given us for standing firm in our faith. It's a fantastic read, and I actually think that every Christian should know what spiritual armor is, how we put it on, and how we stand firm in trials and temptations. This is a book I'll recommend for years.
Janet
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith
One of the best studies I've ever done on the spiritual warfare we experience. I love how Frank Peretti spurred my imagination about the presence of the spiritual world, but this book took that and built on it with some terrific facts and Scripture that has transformed my prayer life and motivated me on several levels.
William Lloyd
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I discovered Chip Ingrams book through my church in Sunday school. It gave me a perspective of the spiritual warfare that I have been facing in my life. All of his experiences that seemed to snow ball from the beginning hit home for me and currently brought me closer to God. It taught me more about the armor to use against satans attacks.
Mike E.
This was required reading for my EFCA GATEWAY Phase 2 students.

This reads (mostly) as a sermon series that was edited for written publication.

Ingram takes a balanced, middle-of-the-road position regarding the reality of spiritual warfare.
M
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Listened to the audio book version. It was a collection of sermons on this same subject, with the same title, so I assuming the same content. Nothing exceptional here...mere rendition of commonly known scripture.
Jack Hansen
Chip Ingram writes a wonderful book that instructs the reader in the proper use of the armor of God. More importantly, the author stresses that it is the God in the armor in whom one confides that protects and one's deep faith that allows facing evil without fear.
D. K. Raney
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

To date the clearest rendering of this topic I have seen. Never once did I feel reluctance to accept Mr. Ingram's take on the scriptural validity of his point of view. Fight on good sir, like David's mighty trio!
Spiritual Warfare 1 13 Sep 19, 2009 07:50PM
  • Peace with God: The Secret of Happiness
  • The Greatest Words Ever Spoken: Everything Jesus Said about You, Your Life, and Everything Else
  • The Strategy of Satan: How to Detect and Defeat Him
  • Slaying the Giants in Your Life
  • You Are What You Love: The Spiritual Power of Habit
  • Disinformation
  • What Is a Healthy Church?
  • Fresh Faith: What Happens When Real Faith Ignites God's People
  • The Islamic Antichrist: The Shocking Truth about the Real Nature of the Beast
  • Paul: A Man of Grace and Grit (Great Lives from God's Word, #6)
  • When GOD Winks: How the Power of Coincidence Guides Your Life
  • The Name
  • Exposing Satan's Playbook: The Secrets and Strategies Satan Hopes You Never Discover
  • The Only Necessary Thing: Living a Prayerful Life
  • Windows of the Soul: Experiencing God in New Ways
  • Prodigals and Those Who Love Them
  • Seeking Him: Experiencing the Joy of Personal Revival
  • The Handbook for Spiritual Warfare
Chip Ingram is the senior pastor of Venture Christian Church in Los Gatos, California, and president of Living on the Edge, an international teaching and discipleship ministry. A pastor for over twenty-five years, Chip has a unique ability to communicate truth and challenge people to live out their faith. Chip is author of twelve books, including Overcoming Emotions that Destroy; God: As He Longs ...more
More about Chip Ingram

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Arctic Dreams
    $9.99 $2.99
  • As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning: A Memoir (The Autobiographical Trilogy Book 2)
  • An Appeal to the World: The Way to Peace in a Time of Division
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Jack and Rochelle: A Holocaust Story of Love and Resistance
  • Catch Me If You Can
    $10.99 $1.99
“Pray when you feel like praying," somebody has said. "Pray when you don't feel like praying. Pray until you do feel like praying.” 8 likes
“Love is not a feeling; it's giving someone what he or she needs most when it is least deserved. That's how God loved me, and I choose to stick with the program.” 1 likes