Start by marking “Appalachian Serenade (Appalachian Blessings, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Appalachian Serenade (Appalachian Blessings, #0.5)

Appalachian Serenade

(Appalachian Blessings 0.5)

Delilah Morrissey has always wanted to be a mother, but when she becomes a young widow, that dream now seems farther away than ever. Unable to continue to live alone in Chicago, her only option is to accept her sister's offer to move in with her family back in West Virginia. Will Delilah have the faith to pursue a new dream--even if it means giving up the old?

In this charm
Published June 4th 2014 by Bethany House Publishers (first published April 6th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Appalachian Serenade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Appalachian Serenade

Melanie
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Appalachian Serenade definitely was a good introduction to the series. While I'm not sure if I will be reading the first book, I did like this little prequel novella. The characters were great and I could feel for them with their struggles and dreams.

It was written very well. If you like historical romances, check it out. I got it for free on Amazon Kindle and I think it is still free: https://amzn.to/2JGSDJ6 (aff link)
Hannah
An enjoyable novella about a small town woman finding meaning to her life in a new place after being widowed and losing her job to returning WW2 vets. Short, sweet, and enjoyable.
Nicole
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a different feel for me, but I enjoyed the sweet story. I loved the beautiful message about God's plan not always looking like we pictured, but still being perfect!
Sarah Grace Grzy
So this was just . . . kinda "meh". I don't know; nothing really "clicked" for me. I liked the character of Robert, but didn't really care for the MC.

Not necessarily bad or no recommended. I just personally didn't enjoy it. :)
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
If I didn't love it, I wouldn't have turned it in to my editor! Can't wait to hear how others like it.
Melissa Lee
I really enjoyed reading about Delilah and the comparisons of living in a small mountain town versus a large city like Chicago. Set just as World War II is ending, readers learn very little about how Wise was affected, other than a brief mention of sugar rations. Because of this I think that this could have been set in a number of different time periods, considering how secluded and behind the times smaller communities can be. Although I would have enjoyed more perspective on the time period, I ...more
Susan
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The novella Appalachian Serenade by Sarah Loudin Thomas was a delight to read! Loudin’s writing seemed beautiful and yet so simple in the way that it told the story of two people who thought their chance for love had already passed them by.

The characters Delilah and Robert were so believable and so everyone. From the beginning, Loudin effortlessly swept me into Delilah’s life and her troubles. And Robert. What was there not to like about Robert who took a personal interest in everyone he intera
Megan
Delilah has had to deal with several recent hardships, her husband's death which left her penniless and losing her job because the war ended causing her to move in with her sister in a different state. I enjoyed watching her get her footing again, as well as possibly opening her heart to love.

I thought this was a good setup for the series, it definitely made me interested in reading the first book in the series sometime soon.
Ellen
Set in 1945 West Virginia, Delilah returns home to WV after her husband died prematurely and deeply in debt. While she tried to stay in Chicago, Delilah had a hard time keeping work since the soldiers were returning home and reclaiming their lives.

To keep from being a burden on her sister and brother-in-law, Delilah seeks work to help the household. When she visits the local store to learn of any jobs, Robert Thorton hires her to work alongside him.

The novella is only 115 pages long, but it car
faith
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
don't usually read novellas, so this was pretty interesting. it's really cool how an author is able to write a story in just 115 pages... Sarah Loudin Thomas kept the language and story relatively simple, but it was still really enjoyable going through the story.

there were a ton of characters introduced at the beginning, it was really hard to keep them all straight. it clicked for me eventually though. I really liked the friendship between Delilah and Susanne especially. it was really cute to se
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a sweet novella that I enjoyed. The author didn't try to pack to much into it. Very enjoyable.
Peggy Trotter
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short, sweet romance set in early 1900's. Enjoyed it a lot.
Spencer Riley
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Find more of my reviews at: http://onthesamepagebookreviews.blogs...

It tasted like childhood. Like the days when she still imagined anything was possible—a happy marriage, children, a long life filled with love and laughter. ~quote from the book

WWII has ended, and Delilah Morrissey, a childless widow, has a difficult time living on her own in Chicago. Her job has been phased out due to the flood of returning soldiers, so an offer from her sister Charlotte, inviting her to come back home to Wise
Denise Hershberger
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First I want to point out that I rarely read novellas because they just aren't long enough to suit me. I like LONG books. The longer the better. I read so fast that I need the book to be long to satisfy me. But when I know that a novella is a prequel to a book series then I'm all for it!

Appalachian Serenade is our preview into the new series by Thomas. The first book is called Miracle in a Dry Season and it is available for pre-order on Amazon even though it doesn't release until August!

Bethany
Violet
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
When 33-year-old widow Delilah Morrissey comes back home to Wise, West Virginia to live with her sister Charlotte, husband Ed and daughter Perla, she’s not the happiest person. Her husband of 14 years has recently died but his disastrous handling of their money has left her penniless. She had a good job in Chicago but it’s 1945, the war has recently ended, and her job has been given to a returning soldier. When she overhears Ed grousing to Charlotte about her being an imposition, she determines ...more
Beckie Burnham
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
There seems to be a new trend in publishing to have authors, established and newbies, produce novella length works to either introduce the targeted audience to the authors or to give some extra background to a novel that has been or is yet to be published. In the case of Sarah Loudin Thomas’ Appalachian Serenade, the publisher is doing both. I find the trend a great way to pique readers’ curiosity and to whet their appetite for more. From what I saw in this novella, I would say Thomas’ novel, Mi ...more
michele
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great light book to read it only took about a hour an a half to read!

I chose 4 stars because I wished this book was longer! Lol I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a short, clean book to read.

Shalini Ayre
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Delilah Morrissey's dreams of being a mother are shattered when she becomes a widow. Not that the loss of her husband is that great, but becoming a mother - that's left a longing.

Moving back to West Virginia to live with her sister and husband, she leaves Chicago with a heavy heart. Arriving in Wise, the small town where her sister lives, Delilah endeavours to pull her weight - despite the grumblings of her brother-in-law.

When she meets Robert Thornton, owner of the town store she's not sure wha
Dana Kamstra
From Amazon: Delilah Morrissey has always wanted to be a mother, but when she becomes a young widow, that dream now seems farther away than ever. Unable to continue to live alone in Chicago, her only option is to accept her sister’s offer to move in with her family back in West Virginia. Will Delilah have the faith to pursue a new dream–even if it means giving up the old?

In this charming novella, debut novelist Sarah Loudin Thomas introduces readers to Wise, West Virginia–a small town nestled in
Kym
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This delightful novella is set in West Virginia just after WWII. Young widow Delilah Morrissey returns to live with her sister and family, and entertains the hope that maybe she can still find love and have children of her own. When she starts working at the local general store, it looks as though she and store owner Robert may have a future together, but what if children can't be a part of that? Delilah and Robert both have to reconsider their plans and dreams and take some steps of faith.

This
Katrina Epperson
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story is set in 1945 in Wise, West Virginia. Delilah Morrissey has recently moved from Chicago after the death of her husband and the short supply of available jobs now that the war was over. She finds herself living with her sister and brother in law, Charlotte and Ed Long. Ed works for the railroad and Charlotte takes care of their daughter. Finding herself at loose ends and wanting to care for herself Delilah takes a job at the local general store working for Robert Thornton. Robert took ...more
Jennifer Pickwell
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Author Sarah Loudin Thomas is a new author Bethany House Publishers is introducing this August with her debut novel, Miracle in a Dry Season. Appalachian Serenade is a Novella that is the prequel to the debut novel.

I adored the sweet story in Appalachian Serenade where we meet Delilah who has lost her husband and returned home to Wise, West Virginia. There she is welcomed by her sister, a grumpy brother-in-law, and her niece Perla. To contribute to the family’s finances she obtains a job at the
Tima
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Delilah's experience with marriage wasn't great. So when her husband passes away she feels relief. She moves to Wise, West Virginia to stay with her sister and family. But after she overhears a conversation between her sister and brother-in-law she decides to look for a job.
Working at the general store is more fun than she imagined and the owner is wonderful to work for. But Delilah has her heart set on having children before she is too old. Her faith is tested and her ideals are changed more t
Catherine
Shelves: ebooks, read-in-2014
Appalachian Serenade
By Sarah Loudin Thomas

This little Novella made me want to read more books by Sarah Loudin Thomas. It was short and to the point and sometimes I just wanted more. But I knew since it was a "novella" this is how it would be. with that said I still loved this story! I fell in love with the characters and their struggles and I wanted to keep reading more! I loved watching them grow and learn and seek knowledge and love in their challenges!

Cant wait to read more by Sarah!

I give th
Nadine Keels
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well, Appalachian Serenade is a delightful little prelude, no doubt meant to whet readers' appetites for Sarah Loudin Thomas's upcoming novel, Miracle in a Dry Season. Given its novella (more like novelette) length, Serenade takes no time to beat around the bush, so it's a nice read for anyone looking for a quick, simple story of hope and discovery.

Delilah dreams of having what so many women do, and, true to human nature, she has only so wide a view of how those dreams should play out. However,
Joy
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This prequel to MIRACLE IN A DRY SEASON certainly gets you anxious to read the novel coming in July. I love the storyline and the great characters, especially Delilah. When her husband dies and leaves her with great debt she goes home to WV. While searching for a job she meets Robert who just happens to be looking for an employee in his dry goods store. His attraction for Delilah grows stronger each day but he's hesitant to get involved.

A realistically charming romance set in 1945 Appalachia wh
Susan Toy
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a free download. While it's not the type of fiction I would usually read, I was drawn in first by the cover and then the excellent writing style kept me wanting to read. I would definitely read more books by this author simply because she is a very good writer. What was also done well was the description of the time it takes place (end of WWII) and the setting and people of rural North Carolina.
Nikki Painter
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I love books that are set in my home state of WV so I was excited to read this one. I thought the book was great and characters developed nicely and then just when it was getting really good...it just ended! I was disappointed. The story does continue on with some of the characters so I will most likely read the sequels.
Aerykah
This one was pretty good. Good enough to get me interested in probably reading the rest of the series.
Elizabeth
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
It looks like a good series to explore!
  • A Stitch and a Prayer (Quilts of Love, #18)
  • Mistletoe Memories (Romancing America)
  • Romance on the River (Civil War Heroines, #.5)
  • My Heart Belongs in San Francisco, California: Abby's Prospects
  • Through the Deep Waters
  • First Impressions: An Amish Tale of Pride and Prejudice (The Amish Classics, #1)
  • Buttermilk Sky
  • A September Bride (A Year of Weddings, #10)
  • Christmas by the Sea (Surf's Up)
  • My Heart Belongs in Niagara Falls, New York: Adele's Journey
  • A May Bride (A Year of Weddings, #6)
  • The Last Queen of Sheba
  • An April Bride (A Year of Weddings, #5)
  • An October Bride (A Year of Weddings, #11)
  • My Heart Belongs in Castle Gate, Utah: Leanna's Choice
  • Annie’s Stories (Ellis Island, #2)
  • To Everything a Season (Song of Blessing, #1)
  • A Light in the Wilderness
I’m a Christian, wife, fundraiser and writer living near Asheville, NC. I grew up on a 100-acre farm in French Creek, WV. I used to say “rural WV,” but realized that’s largely redundant. I LOVE my home state and the fact that I’m the seventh generation to grow up on the family farm. My love of the Appalachian Mountains informs my writing. I want you to be as wild about these hazy, blue mountains a ...more

Appalachian Blessings (3 books)
  • Miracle in a Dry Season (Appalachian Blessings, #1)
  • Until the Harvest (Appalachian Blessings, #2)
  • A Tapestry of Secrets (Appalachian Blessings, #3)
“Maybe that's how I'll know I've found true love--when I find a man who will eat burnt biscuits and dry pork chops.” 2 likes
“Sometimes God gives you strength to do without because, for whatever reason, he knows it's better for you not to have your heart's desire.” 1 likes