Start by marking “Complementary Colors” as Want to Read:
Complementary Colors

Complementary Colors

My sister Julia manipulated my life into a prison to keep me silent about our dirty family secret. Her greed made me a slave and circumstance left me with no way to escape.

Trapped, the only way I could silence the nightmares driving me to insanity was to wrap them in color, hold them with shadow, and stitch them to negative space with line.

But no matter how bright the
Published June 20th 2014 by Adrienne Wilder (first published June 19th 2014)

Start your review of Complementary Colors

photo oie_W84sOz2MHmPm_zpsl9cmkptj.gif
 photo oie_PE4HtEoHbv9h_zpslnaataku.gif
 photo oie_fLryb8Q5POhv_zps3yatryby.gif

Rating clarification
4 stars for the first half and 5 stars for the second half, especially the final third of the story. The part with Dr. Carmichael was absolutely top-notch.

What's the color of love?

Painting didn't keep me sane but alive
It gave me a sliver of hope
And at the same time I couldn't shake off
The crushing shackles of that awful nightmare
Mud soaking my shoes, my hands blistered
Tears trailing down my cheeks
Leaves rustling, following me
Judith
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Judith by: I~❤️~Books
*** Re read December 2015 ***

I stared at all the broken fragments of color that where once me,lying scattered around my feet

I recently read In The Absence of Light by this Author and thought no couple could be as perfect as Morgan and Grant...but I think I LOVE Paris and Roy a little bit more...

PARIS,wealthy,abstract Artist..has demons from the past,beautiful on the outside...but he thinks he's ugly inside,

ROY,'ordinary' man,no money,but sees something in Paris no one else does,

This book just
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
5--Colorful--Stars!

Because the world will only be a better place when people like me are no longer in it.

This isn't your everyday love story. It's not for the faint of heart. It will take you out of your comfort zone. It will make you hurt. It will rip you open. It will make you bleed.

Paris lives with monsters in his head...in a prison cell and only his sister Julia has the key. Used. Abused. Manipulated. Lied to. Paris has no say in his life.

Im a thousand pieces of broken colored glass.
Ele
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing

In every painting you create, you tell the world what happened.
No one hears me.
I hear you.
No one cares.
I do.
No one believes.
I believe you. Every word.

This is not your typical romance. I'm not even sure it is romance. But it is an amazing love story. It is harsh and brutal. You 'll think there is no way out. Right until the end, you will doubt there is salvation. Take a break and keep pushing. But be warned...here be monsters.

Paris Duvoe lives with demons. Mental illness, dirty family
Nazanin
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, m-m
4 Colorful Stars

Paris is an artist. People just see his paintings but they dont understand them, they dont see the truth within them. They dont see the pain behind them. They dont see the secrets he paints. They see his pretty face but they dont see bruises and cuts on his body that are perfectly hidden. He is a puppet and his sister (Julia) held his strings. Julia blamed Paris for what hes done and he couldnt/wont remember. If he opens his mouth he will be ruined. Julia made sure of it! He is
Jewel
What to say about this book! Complimentary Colors is utterly heartbreaking and amazingly breathtaking. I'm wrung out from reading it, but found the destination so worth the journey.

Is Complimentary Colors a romance? I'm not sure. There are romantic elements and the ending is happy (thank FSM), so maybe it is. But even more, Complimentary Colors is a technicolor tour of the demons haunting Paris Duvoe and his journey of clawing his way out of hell. The story is told entirely from his POV and I
Dia
This is 5 stars epic heartbreaking story

I thought it was hard expressing my emotions while rating others stories. Hmm, piece of cake!
This ONE is THE MOST HEARTBREAKING story!!!

What can I add more to all these gazzillion reviews declaring undying love?!

My heart bleed for Paris!
This story made me want to punch someone and kick and scream and I just... I was too emotional while reading it. Heartbreaking, I'm telling you...

I would strongly advise you to be aware of the dark things it might
Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs
****5 Stars****

For Some, Everyday Life is a Balancing Act.

Paris Duvoe
is a rich tortured famous abstract artist. Used, abused and controlled by his sister Julia. Painting is what sets him free from the monsters that lurk in his head.

Until Roy Callahan,  walks into his life.

No one hears me.
I hear you.
No one cares.
I
Simone
***5++ Stars for an exceptional and outstanding book***

We'd slipped beyond the real world and hovered where darkness and light made love to create the colors of the universe.

Wow, just... wow! Hours passed since I finished this book and I thought about what I could write in my review to do justice to this book, but I came up with... nothing.

I am still a bit emotionally drained because this story evoked the strongest of feelings in me and came with a lot of tears. Tears of sadness,
Jason Bradley
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WOW! This story is amazing, the characters are so real I wanted to yell at the book at points. You have to read this. The first scene is so hot it will knock your socks off!
✦❋Arianna✦❋
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
description

I'm scared to get close and I hate being alone.
I long for that feeling to not feel at all.
The higher I get, the lower I'll sink.
I can't drown my demons, they know how to swim.

BRING ME THE HORIZON Can you feel my heart

description

Complementary Colors is dark and raw, sometimes disturbing and sometimes a very intense read. Its not your usual romance or m-m read. A psychological thriller, this book is emotional and real, very different from any m-m book Ive read. I was captivated from the start and
Vivian
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just kept turning the pages.

I feel like I'm going to be inadequate at explaining why I liked this story. It's a suspense. It pegs the extreme characters' meter, which should turn me off, but for some reason works even though it borders melodramatic. I've castigated so many books for this, but not this one.

First, Wilder's descriptions of the art process are fantastic. The smells, the compulsion, the absorption into the act that leaves one in a suspended state--great. The art descriptions,
Line
The reason this is not a 5 star read was the 'almost too much abuse and then 'stubbornness' of Paris'; it was SOOO close to being just way too much heartache, heartbreak and evil people, and then there is also Alice.
Seriously FUCK her! She knew what was going on, she wasn't stupid and even though she is explained as fragile, through Paris's eyes, she was neither dumb nor helpless.
So fuck her, and fuck the choices made there.

This book was ROUGH and please beware of the following trigger warnings:
DaisyGirl
1 very disappointed star

So, let me start by saying that I adore Adrienne Wilder's work. Adore. It. I love her writing. It sweeps me up every freaking time. She is soooo good. But ... and I know I am TOTALLY in the minority here ... this book didn't work for me. At. All.

*ducks to avoid being pummeled by rotten fruit*

This book was pure torture. It was dark. It was depressing. It was frustrating to no end! There was not a single shining moment to my way of thinking. Others might point to the ending
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Infinite stars!!!

This book has me emotionally hung over. I can't even write a review. I'll just let my shelves do the talking.
♥Sharon♥
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I cant find the words that would do this book justice so I will take the easy way out and ask that you read some of the other amazing reviews already written. I cant recommend it enough.

But know this. This story was painfully beautiful. It wasnt an easy read by any means. My heart broke. I cried and felt hopeless. There were parts that for me were brutal yet I couldnt stop. Paris Duvoes story is one that I will not forget.

Adrienne Wilder is an amazing author. Thank you for giving us Paris and
Macky
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone but especially those who love a brilliantly written, darker but compelling read.

I know when I read, I always see the story unfolding in my mind but every now and then one comes along that actually makes me feel like I'm inside the book observing from the sidelines. Like a fly on the wall watching the book play out like a film. Complimentary Colours gave me that experience and I absolutely loved it!

Rich and famous abstract artist, Paris Duvoe, is a beautiful, highly sexual, messed up, tortured soul and this becomes evident right at the very start of the book when we first
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️
5+++ Brilliant Stars!!!

photo 3C37F0D8-BBB5-4E20-B6A5-726AC5F5004A_zpsvyqhdnu2.gif

One word to describe this book- PROFOUND. It gripped me like few books ever have. I'd first read Adrienne Wilder's works in In the Absence of Light and I knew her writing was something refreshingly different. To call it poetic or artistic doesn't quite measure up to the level of literary gift she beholds. Both books feature hereoes with psychological disorders and I find that refreshingly different.

Complimentary Colors touched me on so many levels. Couple that with
Karen
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Might I suggest, if you haven't read this book...
before you begin you might want to consider stocking up on tissues, chocolate or other preferred comfort foods, a very cuddly teddy will be helpful and possibly copious amounts of alcohol...just sayin' it never hurts to be prepared...oh, and most important of all grab a couple of friends because this one really is best not read alone.

So first thing I did grabbed Josy, who in turn grabbed Simone. We're good that way, we try and drag as many
Ariana
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: made-me-cry, lgbtq
*4,5 stars*

Lets put it on the table: this is not a romance. There is nothing romantic about the way Paris and Roy meet and although there are some tender moments between them, I would never label their story as a romance.
But, no doubt, this book is about love of the purest kind. And it is a love story that will grip your heart and turn you inside out.
That is at least what happened to me. I think I was sitting at the edge of my seat from the beginning to the end, leaving fingernail marks on the
Lost in a Book
4.5ish Stars

Ummm.. *snuggles with blanket* This one hurt. A lot. Its angsty AF, dark, erotic, brutal and with trigger warnings for pretty much everything littering the pages. This wasnt my first rodeo with Wilder so I was mentally preparing but some of it was realllllly hard to read.

Paris is a broken yet brilliant artist that disposes the horrors he has seen on canvas while covering them up and making millions. He has multiple mental diagnoses and an absolute vile sister that abuses him
Louis Stevens
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was such a beautiful read. It was tragic, infuriating, alluring and sexy at times, but that just says more about Adrienne Wilder's obvious skill at crafting believable worlds and real characters.

Paris started out as an enigma to me, but I was soon drowning in his emotions. Adrienne's prose is so descriptive and draws you into the story completely. You never feel like you are removed from the action and emotion is poured over the characters like olive oil and you're soon drenched in
LenaRibka

DNF at 15%

"His exhale shuddered."

So did mine.

I know, I swore not to rate books that I DNF at less than 50%.
But considering THIS book...I wanted sooooo BADLY to give it 1 star.

I asked me only WHY I hadn't read Smith's review BEFORE I picked up this book?!

вιвℓισρнιℓια {кιηgѕℓєу & ѕøяєη ƒσяєνєя}
description
We can't allow ourselves to descend down the rabbit hole ..... even when it holds the key to everything.

A dark and twisted tale. I can't explain anymore than that without spoiling it, you'll just have to read it.

haletostilinski
Well...WOW. Holllyyy shittt.

Review to come shortly.

~*~

So this book absolutely blew me away. I have to say, first and foremost, that stories that deal with someone with mental illness aren't always my cup of tea, mostly because they usually have the person hallucinating people and then I get scared that their love interest isn't real - which is what I got scared of in this, that Roy wasn't real. Thankfully, he was. But I'm not one who likes that uncertainty or the "was any of it real? No" type
Smith Barney
EMO Alert. I should have known when the melodramatic suicide-hotline-cover perfectly matched the dysfunctionally-drunk material narrated by a self-absorbed emotionally-crippled monologue of Im-such-a-disease-I-ruin-everyone-Paris-POV..that it was a f'ing bonafide EMO read.

Ew. Not even the bone-throwing opening-formulaic-sex-scene could tempt me to read more..
Josy
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG!! What a book this was! I'm telling you this one evoked ALL the feelings and that's why I have no choice but to put it on my favorites shelf.

This was my update when I finished the book: I'm tired, drained, and exhausted and not only because it's 1 a.m. This was really tough stuff but sooo worth it!!! I couldn't have done it without the support of my BR-ladies, though. A BIG thank you to Karen and Simone for holding my hand! And I still felt like this for days after I finished the book.

This
Fabi
Come on Goodreads, we need half stars!

3.5 darkish but colorful stars

This is the second book I've read by Adrienne Wilder. In the Absence of Light was a my first glimpse at this excellent author. I went head over heals for that book and simply had to read another one.

The title and cover of Complementary Colors drew me like a month to flame. Then I saw it was by Adrienne Wilder and I knew I had to read it even though I was afraid it might be too angsty or sad for me.

It's darkish. An intense story
Silkeeeeeereads
This book is not for the faint at heart. Ms. Wilder has proven she is a brilliant writer. This book has also proven that she has some special resources or knows first hand what it's like to feel that sort of crazy. For me, it was a difficult book to read, yet I kept turning page after page. I cried some. Most of you probably won't, but I cried. It hit a lot of my triggers. Very few of you will have those triggers. Maybe it will let you inside the head of illness and understand what it's like to ...more
Jack Pyke
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just a few words: highy recommemded to anyone who knows how to read.

Wilder lives up to his surname here and delivers such heart-wrenching world, gorgeous characterisation, and.. well... perfection. Pure and simple P E R F E C T I O N.

Gutted and cut me into so many parts, but then eased all of the hurt with the slow and beautiful turn of events....

• The One Decent Thing
  • Secrets & Lies
  • Without You
  • Thrown Off the Ice
  • Intoxicating (Elite Protection Services, #1)
  • Now You See Me
  • Virgin Flyer
  • The Guy in the Window
  • Kiss Me Again
  • Home (Camassia Cove, #1)
  • Love Language
  • If We Could Go Back (Camassia Cove, #6)
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • His First Time
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • Broken News
  • The Mating of Michael (Sex in Seattle, #3)
  • Love Me Whole
Georgia born and bred, I am an artist, a writer, and a general pain in the ass.
I spend most of my days working on my next book or designing cover art for other writers. For stress relief I do olympic lifting and occasionally run (but hate it). I have been in love with writing since I was very young but it wasn't until recently that I decided to pursue it as a profession.

I have experimented in

News & Interviews

“We'd slipped beyond the real world and hovered where darkness and light made love to create the colors in the universe.” 8 likes
“Swatches of color to close the wounds. Lines to tie it down. Layers upon layers, until the sound of their voices formed a hum.” 3 likes