Start by marking “Don't Fall” as Want to Read:
Don't Fall

Don't Fall

In which a teenage girl endures the over-protective love of her adoptive mother until she falls for a boy who has her wanting to spread her wings, pitched as a contemporary retelling of Rapunzel.

Seventeen-year-old Anya leads a very secluded life in a house on the edge of town with her adopted mother. She doesn't go to school, but instead has a private tutor. Her over-prote
Published May 18th 2014 by Swoon Romance

To ask other readers questions about Don't Fall, please sign up.
Rachel Schieffelbein There is one closed door sex scene. (It's implied that it happens, but you don't read about any of it.) If there's swearing, it's minimal. Overall…moreThere is one closed door sex scene. (It's implied that it happens, but you don't read about any of it.) If there's swearing, it's minimal. Overall it's pretty innocent. :)(less)

Hari ~Brekker-Maresh~
May 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Usually, as soon as I start a book, I can tell if I like it or not. This book was no different. It was amazingly BAD from page one.

So, if it's so bad, why did I keep reading it???For one thing, I don't like the idea of stopping a book in the middle, no matter how bad it is because maybe it has some redeeming qualities. Thus, my suffering. Maybe something would change and I would actually LIKE the book. My thoughts while reading were OMG this is SOOOO bad. I could already see myself giving it
Fiona
“Somehow, even outside the library and our clearing in the woods, we were still in our own world. Everything else could fade away, and he and I would remain, tied together by something I couldn’t quite explain. In its simplest term, love.”

!!!!!! My. Heart. Just. Melted. Into. A. Puddle. Of. Pink. Cute. Goo. !!!!!!

What to say? It's fun and lighthearted and a magical kind of romance, everything a fairy tale inspired book should be. It's swoon worthy and fast paced and I just loved every minut
Emily Bradley-dorman
3.5 / 5

Instead of a tower we have a small house overlooking the forest. Instead of a Princesses we have Anya with her long golden hair and camera happy personality. And instead of a Prince we have an unbelievably adorable English Major called Zander. We also have cupcakes!

The story itself follows seventeen-year-old Anya, who has spent the last fifteen years of her life constricted by her over protective mother and all her rules. She's not allowed to go to public school, she's not actually allow
Cassie Mae
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Rachel Schieffelbein... you satisfy my romance bone with every book you write. And yes, that sounds weird and creepy. No, I don't care. :)

The Gist

Sheltered Anya meets sensitive and sweet Zander at the library, and they fall fast for each other. But Anya's mother who refuses to allow her to date or go outside for long periods of time. And Zander grows frustrated at the secrecy of the relationship, not knowing the extent of the crazy overbearing protectiveness of Anya's mom.

The Characters

Anya is
Gehna
3.5 stars rounded up to 4!

I wasn't really expecting to like this book that much considering my bad experience with YA and romances but this book was really good.

This book is about Anya who has a very protective mother. Anya falls in love with Zander but her mother doesn't like that and she looks her in her room like Rapunzel(???) The blurb says it is a retelling so....

Well, it wasn't bad. It was boring at times but I liked the way characters are written. Every character has specific traits and
Lenore Kosinski
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
4.5 stars -- OK, so it had me at Rapunzel retelling, but it's really more of a Rapunzel inspired tale -- like what if you took some of the elements of that story and tried to imagine them in real life in the modern world. It was a great success. Anya was so sweet and naive and innocent, but I could totally buy it given the way she grew up and all the tidbits of her history we were given. Zander was unbelievably adorable....he was kind of more of a beta male, and I wasn't expecting that. Very ple ...more
Valerie
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 stars - Such a great YA fairy tale!

I haven't read a lot of fairy tale stories but this one appealed to me. I've been in the mood for a good YA and this totally fit the bill.

Let me start by saying I love the cover. It's whimsical and fits the story so well. I also adore the names of the characters. Anya is such a pretty name and Zander is just a yummy boy. Loved that.

I read this straight through. I don't remember a book that went so fast as this one did. I just glanced down and it was done. How
Ruth Hill
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Young adult romance can often be hit or miss, and all too often, they are not very well written. I am quite happy to report that this book definitely has the practically perfect young adult romance formula. There are only minimal profanity issues--hardly worth mentioning, and it is implied that the two main characters slept together, but no details are given. I would honestly have no problem letting my almost 11-year-old daughter read this book (although she is not "into romances"). For this, I ...more
Sthita
Anya and Zander's story was a sweet one. Anya is a seventeen year old who isn't allowed to go anywhere except the library because her mum's overprotective. She meets Zander in the library, and the story is about how they love each other and how Anya's overprotective mother finally learns to accept Anya's decisions. Sweet, but a little too cheesy for my tastes.. The book is a modern-day retelling of Rapunzel, and I think the author did a good job, if not great, in delivering the story.
Lexi Lynn
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: up-next, young-adult
4.5 Slow Down, Don't Fall Stars

Don't Fall was unexpected-in a good way. Let's not get all panicky over that word, now ;) It was unbelievably cute. Like kittens giving each other eskimo kisses cute. But by the cover I was expected something different. Don't know why, just did :)

In a nutshell:

Sheltered girl meets romantic boy through the bookshelves of a library (yeah... sold. I used to dream about finding my soul mate in a library *nerd alert*) But she's not allowed to date. She's not even allow
Michelle
**See this full review and more at http://bookbriefs.net**

Don't Fall is a completely contemporary retelling of Rapunzel. I have read 3 or 4 re-tellings of Rapunzel now to date and this was a really interesting one. I know the very first line of the summary states that it is a contemporary retelling, but even going into the book knowing that I wasn't sure what to expect. I was reading and enjoying the story, but I kept thinking in the back of my head, "what is the twist going to be". And while th
Farrah
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A light, sweet, and utterly lovely retelling, Don't Fall was a fantastic YA romance. I really liked this delight of a read. From start to finish, it was just wonderful.

Anya was a lovely heroine. At first, she seemed weak-willed, unable to defy her mother in anything. But, over the course of the book, she grew stronger and became determined to finally start her life. She was a great character and I really liked her.

Zander was also wonderful. He was very sweet and I loved how he was so devoted to
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gmmg-ya
A fun contemporary retelling of Rapunzel. I read this in one day! Anya and Zander were both such likable characters that I found myself rooting for them in every chapter. Loved the dual POV as well.
Jennifer (Bad Bird Reads)
DNF

All tell, now show.

Review coming soon.
jasmine
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
honestly I don't know what I thought about this.
Dani
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
★★★

Rapunzel. You know the drill. Girl with super-long hair locked in a super-tall tower by a super-evil witch, all over some stolen lettuce. There’s also a super-determined prince, and in more recent versions, the occasional frying pan. It’s a fairytale filled with fantastical oddities. So when I saw in the blurb that Don’t Fall is a contemporary retelling of Rapunzel, I was definitely more than a little curious as to how Rachel was going to achieve this, while still holding on to the things tha
Chu
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review Originally Posted at: Book Freak

Rating: 4.5 Stars

One thing I love most about this book is the COVER! Look at it and tell me it isn’t beautiful! I instantly fell in love with it – mesmerized by the purple color and all those glitters that almost scream PARANORMAL.

Thank goodness, it’s not.

This was a short-read that I finished before I went to sleep – yes, sort of a bed time story since the blurb says it’s a retelling of RAPUNZEl. Don’t Fall is the story of a teenage girl who have been shelt
Kelly
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
I kind of lost track that this was a fairy tale retelling. It was a retelling of Rapunzel. I loved that story and I loved the Disney version. It was awful to watch it unfold as a modern day story. I love retellings, but this mother was cruel. It seems weird to see it put in modern times with a parent like that. I loved this version too, don’t get me wrong.

We have Zander, a boy getting ready to go to college and get an apartment with his cousin. He had a loving family with regular family issues.
Tiffany York
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is exactly the kind of story I wanted to start out my summer with! Sure, technically I have a week left of work before my students and I are on summer vacation, but it's officially June, and that's close enough for me! I have already decided that this summer I want to read a lot of light, contemporary books, and this story certainly gave me what I was looking for. Along with that, it was a quick read and I got through it in one sitting, mostly because I did not want to put the book down.

Shay
What to say? It's fun and lighthearted and a magical kind of romance, everything a fairytale inspired book should be. It's swoon worthy and fast paced and I just loved every minute of it, especially the similarities to Rapunzel in this contemporary magic free book.

A few of my favorite things -
-Anya - I loved Anya, she's a book worm which is always a plus and I loved the references to different YA books in it. Honestly the main things I loved about her though were that even though she is essenti
Missie
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love fairy tale re-tellings (obviously), so a modern day Rapunzel story that was written by a fellow Minnesotan was exactly what I needed. And I have to say that there is one word to sum up this book and it's cute. The whole stinking book was so cute! It was a quick, easy, cute read.

Likes:

I loved the pacing. I read the whole book last night, just kept flipping pages and realized that an hour was gone and the whole book was done! I just had so much fun reading!

I loved how Anya was "Rapunzel." R
Kirke
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
3.5*

The cover is what drew me in at first, seeing that and then reading the blurb I expected a more darker/heavier story, which wasn't the case at all. Don't Fall is simply adorable, ubersweet and swoon worthy.

Anya is being homeschooled and is not allowed to go anywhere without her mom, except to the library and even then she has to check in with her mom. Alarm bells ringing all over the place for me, but for Anya this is her life and she doesn't know anything else. She does wish she could go o
Erisha (Bookaholic Reads)
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-books
Read full review at: www.bookaholic-reads.blogspot.com

*I RECEIVED THIS BOOK IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW*

NO SPOILERS!

*3.5/5 stars*

Don't Fall by Rachel Schieffelbein is a modern, re-telling of the classic, 'Rapunzel'. The aspects of Rapunzel were conveyed in this book through the characters and the environment they are living in but this story also had it's own twist to make it special and different from other fairytale re-tellings. This contemporary, love story is a short, interesting read.
Lelia Taylor
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: full-reviews
Billed as a contemporary re-telling of the Rapunzel fairy tale, Don’t Fall is essentially a tale of love in the face of great odds. In this case, those odds have to do with Anya breaking away from years of what must be called a form of emotional abuse but only being able to do so because Zander’s love gives her the strength to escape.

It’s easy to like these two even while feeling they’re both very immature. Anya is understandable because her emotional growth has been severely stunted by her moth
Rhys Ethan
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have to be honest and say that the only thing that attracted me to the book was the cover and the claim that it is a modern retelling of Rapunzel. So I didn’t know what to expect when I received my ARC copy. You see I’m not usually a romance kind of reader. All my doubts vanished the moment I started reading.

I was instantaneously immersed in Anya world, a girl whose mother has kept her sheltered all her life and whose only excursions happen to be at the library. But in there, she meets Zander,
Shannon
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, for-review
“When I was little my mom gave me a necklace with a little yellow sun on it. She said it was so I could always have a bit of sunshine with me. I don’t know what happened to it. I suppose I lost it, or broke it, at some point. But I liked the idea of always having a piece of sunshine.” She shrugged against my back. “Yellow reminds me of that.”

“That,” I said, running my hand down one of her braids, “is perfect.” I gave it a tight tug, making her turn her face toward me. “Because I always feel lik
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Psychocat Reads Review of DON’T FALL by Rachel Schieffelbein

(I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.)

It seems of late that stories with a fairytale tie just keep making it onto the Psychocat Reads list. Fortunately, they’ve each had ties to a different tale and have each been dramatically different. This week’s story is a modern day Rapunzel inspired tale.

The Characters: Anya makes for a very cute Rapunzel figure. She’s smart enough to realize that her life isn’t n
Kazhy (My Library in the Making)
(View this review on My Library in the Making.)

At every mention of Rapunzel to describe a story, what I find myself most curious about is the reason behind the mother hiding her daughter from the rest of the world, and although Don't Fall didn't end up as dark as I'd thought it would, it was still a heartwarming read.

Anya's mother has her living a very sequestered life, and between their house and the library, Anya doesn't have much to do aside from photography. One day, she takes a photo of a b
Loren
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
From the very beginning paragraph, I was intrigued. I thought that Zander was endearing and adorable. I immediately wanted to know him better—I wanted to be his friend. From the get go, he knew what he wanted and he didn’t let anyone stand in his way. I really found what he thought of Anya very sweet. With Zander, it wasn’t first looks that drew him to Anya, it was blatant curiosity after she was caught taking his photograph—and with Anya, she was drawn to Zander due to photograph setting. Reall ...more
Sherry
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Plain and simple, Don't Fall, by Rachel Schieffelbein, just wasn't for me. Touted as a modern retelling of Rapunzel, it’s the story of Anya and Zander, a girl who’s lived an exceptionally sheltered life with her overprotective, adoptive mother and the boy who falls in love with her. I hate posting negative reviews so I try to keep them short and sweet. Here goes...

The writing was plain and contained too much telling, not enough showing. The characters seemed juvenile—despite being in adult situa
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Crystal Heart
  • Holly Hearts Hollywood
  • Just Sing (Seven Oaks #1)
  • Sold for Endless Rue
  • How to Seduce a Band Geek (How To #2)
  • Heart Shaped Rock
  • The Wooden Prince (Out of Abaton #1)
  • Perfectly Messy (Effortless With You, #2)
  • Spinning Thorns
  • Some Like It in Handcuffs
  • Pay the Piper (A Rock 'n' Roll Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Lost Seraphine (Seraphine Trilogy, #2)
  • Finding Mr. Darcy: High School Edition
  • The Fate Of A Marlowe Girl (Marlowe Girls, #1)
  • The Funeral Singer
  • Awkwardly Ever After (Smith High, #4)
  • Thumbelina: Tiny Runaway Bride
  • His Hometown Girl
Rachel grew up in a tiny town in Minnesota. She still lives there, with her husband and their four kids. She coaches high school speech and theater, rides Arabian horses, reads as much as she can, and writes stories.
“Somehow, even outside the library and our clearing in the woods, we were still in our own world. Everything else could fade away, and he and I would remain, tied together by something I couldn't quite expline. In its simplest term, love.” 8 likes