Start by marking “Jack and Djinn (The Houri Legends, #1)” as Want to Read:
Jack and Djinn (The Houri Legends, #1)

Jack and Djinn

(The Houri Legends #1)

Miriam's life is a hot mess. Ben won’t let her go and she knows she can’t take anymore. She simply will not and cannot withstand another insult, another drunken rage, another blow. But she has nowhere to go, no one to help her.

One night, Ben’s alcohol-fueled abuse explodes hotter than it ever has before, and Miriam isn’t sure she’ll survive it this time.

Then Miriam meets
Published June 19th 2014 (first published May 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Jack and Djinn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack and Djinn

Jacqueline's Reads
May 21, 2015 marked it as freebie
FREE LADIES!!!! - http://amzn.to/1F0dEEj
Cristal
Jun 03, 2014 rated it liked it
4.5 Stars

LOVED! Where do I start? How about I start with the fact that I just inhaled this book! I was captivated from the first word to the last. I was never bored, or distracted, completely taken by the thrill and suspense.

Jack and Djinn is a step outside the norm for a Jasinda Wilder book, but that just makes it so much more impressive! Wilder takes a gander at the paranormal romance genre, and produces an original and exciting read. Jack and Djinn is a great mix of reality and the supernatur
Elle Casey
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
*** Little Tiny Baby Spoilers About Plot Basics ****

I loved the cover of this book and admit to being lured in by the great colors and design combined with the title. I'm a sucker for great marketing! But it's the writing and story that kept me reading. Amber Sweetapple can write! Her descriptions of the magic in this book are very poetic. I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see she writes poetry too. Oh, and the sexy parts were just sexy enough for me. Weeee! :) I don't want to put any spoilers
1-Click Addict Support Group
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Please note: We had two reviewers read this book, and their opinions were quite different. Read on to find out what each thought!

Well, it's official, I am a Jasinda Wilder virgin no more. Now, I know some of you are doing the Minion Whaaat?!" expression from Despicable Me, but it's the truth. Jack and Djinn popped my cherry and it was an excellent book to have popped it! I so very much enjoyed reading this book and I'm very excited to read more from Ms. Wilder!

Miriam al-Mansur's life has nev
Between the Bind
Aug 05, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars from Between the Bind

Jack and Djinn begins with two detectives at a murder scene - an unrecognizably burned body was found in a casino. However, the fire seemed to only burn the victim, not anything around him, leaving the detectives baffled.

We quickly skip back to a few weeks before the incident and meet Miriam, our female protagonist. Miriam has led quite a difficult life. She lost the only positive male figure in her life at the tender age of 11, her mom abandoned her as a teenager
Julie Ramsey
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done
Jack and Djinn

A paranormal murder mystery!! The story starts with a murder at the MGM Casino in Detroit. I thought this was really cool since I live within driving distance of this area. The 2 detectives come onto a burned body. It is strange because it is burned, almost cremated yet nothing around it is burned. No signs of trauma, nothing. The author has 2 stories going together. One investigating the murder and the other leading up to the murder. They intersect in the end. Miriam is a young gi
Nitzan Schwarz
2015 tbr challenge

*insta love - they know each other for three hours before they speak of wanting nothing more than "to be together".
*no real consistency in her powers
*her powers magically manifest after years of being dormant when there is no actual change around. What made them burst? It would've made more sense if she had met Jack before it started, because then there would be an actual trigger instead of this rather convenient sudden manifestation...
*CALL THE EFFING COPS! I know t
Angie
**My review contains spoilers**

The price was the only good thing about this book. (It was free).

Miriam is dating an abusive a-hole named Ben. I have no idea why she puts up with him. She has a job, she has her own place, and she's beautiful so it's not like she's dependent on him and can't get away easily. She never calls the police and she prefers the nights when he just uses her to get off and goes to sleep. What a way to live.

But then strange things start happening. Ben starts to get things h
Brandi Money
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another winner from the amazingly talented Jasinda Wilder. I never once doubted the author's ability to deliver a compelling story, one stretching the boundaries in regards to her norm, but this is pure genius - creativity at it's best.

Jasinda composed a novel driven by raw and riveting emotion. Bearings derived from life's realities and genuinely conceivable circumstances. The characters are rich and intriguing, well developed with the unmistakable blazing chemistry that IS Jasinda Wilder.

The
K. Lincoln
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I have to admit that the beginning of this one threw me off so much that I didn't get beyond the first couple of chapters.

And it's not because the writing was poor, or that the characters were believable, in some ways they were too believable. And that was the problem. Because this book starts out chronicling Miriams' abusive relationship with her boyfriend. And it was hard to read. Even when the magical stuff started happening, it was a bit hard to believe.

Jack swoops in on a motorcycle and swe
TJlovestoread Blog
4 Fiery, paranormal I want three wishes stars!!!

Q1: What happens when an awesome contemporary romance/erotica author, decides to dive into paranormal romance?

Answer: You never know, sometimes they ace it, sometimes they don’t.
Q2: What happens when Jasinda Wilder, decides to dive into paranormal romance?

Answer: We receive and awesome surprise debut!!

Writing reviews about a paranormal romance book is often difficult. You can’t mention a lot of things so you don’t give spoilers. You can’t explain t
Victoria Colotta
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There is no shortage of love for Jasinda Wilder here or on my blog. Time after time, I pick up one of her books and she pulls me in. “Just one more chapter” turns into five more chapters and I just can’t stop. So when I heard about the The Houri Legends series, I was intrigued. As I started reading the book, I was expecting one thing, but when I finished, I was left blown away.

When we first meet Miriam, she has some issues within her life. She has a history of abusive relationships and her curre
♔ Marli ♔
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: erotica-fantasy
Jack and Miriam...

I've read loads of paranormal books before, but never about a Djinni...
Actually thought it was a "genie" in a lamp...rub the lamp...and your three wishes would be granted... Which it sorta was...but not!?

Personally I would've played around with this concept, as the idea is genius!!

It was strange how Jack just accepted who she was...glowing ball of fire girlfriend with healing abilities...and she healed him a lot through the story...
Luckily in the end, the story came together...
Katiria
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-books
I received this book by the author in exchanged for an honest review. Thank you so much to Jasinda Wilder.

Wow just wow I finally read my first Jasinda Wilder book and I really really loved and enjoyed it. This is my first Djinn book that I have ever read. This amazing book have two different povs which did not bother me at all one pov is in the present time and the other pov is in a month in the past. I am not going too go into too much details about this amazing book but I will tell you. That
Dee McGee
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jasinda Wilder proves once again that she is great at tackling varied topics in her books. Jack and Djinn is a eclectic mix of suspense, paranormal, and the heart-breaking realities of romance. I devoured this book in one sitting.

The heroine Miriam is in a very dangerous situation. She seems to find herself in one bad relationship after another. But like many abusive relationships, she is unable to find a safe way to leave her volatile, complete jerk off of a boyfriend Ben. I found Miriam's cha
Editing Services by Cynthia Shepp
Book 1- Jack and Djinn

This story revolves around Jack, an mechanic and artist, and Miriam, a woman just realizing that she is more than she ever imagined. Miriam is in an abusive relationship with Ben, a former Marine that served two tours in Afghanistan. The clever part about this book is that it goes back and forth between the past and the present. The present revolves around a homicide detective, Carson, who is investigating the death of a man that was burned to a crisp in a very unusual way
Musing
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you're not a lover of the paranormal genre, I suspect you'll like Jack and Djinn anyway. The story was cleverly constructed using two intersecting timelines. Past and present. Two interconnecting stories to unpack, one immersed in the discovery of unknown, ancient magic, the other dissecting fact from fantasy to solve a homicide. In effect, you therefore had one heroine and two Heros, but not in preconceived roles you'd expect.

What I appreciated, as I often do in a Wilder creation, was emo
Jihan Literary Assassins
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Read the more reviews at Literary Assassins

I tell you this with every single fiber in my body, read Jack and Djinn. Do you like mythology? Read Jack and Djinn. Do you like symbolism and strong plots? Read Jack and Djinn. You don't read paranormal books? You don't like characters with powers? Throw out all your preconceived notions and read this book!

Miriam has had a horrid life, including death, abandonment, homelessness, and abuse. She is in a relationship with Ben who sees her more as property

Suzi (Obsessive Reading Disorder)
Every time I read a Jasinda Wilder book I am physically moved by the words she puts down on the page. There is always so much emotion going into each story-- pain, love, angst, anger..... I find myself wondering about the author and what has motivated her to write with so much emotion. Jack and Djinn is not exception. The book takes on a difficult subject and lays it out there raw and real for the reader to experience. **New readers take heed as there is sensitive material throughout the story.* ...more
The Book Trollop
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
***May be spoilery, depending on how you want to experience the book****

This was interesting. I think there were two different stories told here; the paranormal aspects and the romance. The romance took center stage and the paranormal aspects were left hanging in the wind.

I read a lot of paranormal romances and it just didn't connect like I wanted it to. The romance side of the book was perfection and I really enjoyed Miriam's story and her journey to really finding out who she was & what s
Erica
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military, fights, sifi
WOW, with a side of fireballs.

Ok, Miriam, is in a shitty relationship. The worst kind. Ben is just a POS after coming home from his tours in Afghanistan. Having only known these kinds of relationships, she deals with it and tells herself this is what she deserves.

One day, a life savior helps her after an ass beating from Ben. And Jack, is perfect. Miriam just knows he is too good for her, and she will never deserve him. But, he doesn't stop trying. The more she is around him, the more angry she
Rayanna Smith
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a huge of fan of paranormal. With that said Jack and Djinn is a must read. I loved how Jasinda Wilder constructed the story by using past and present. I also love how the magic in Miriam was a gradual process. She was discovering who she was as the story progressed, as well as becoming a stronger more confident person.

This story was different from Jasinda's other writings, but I think it just makes it that more special. She could have made this a typical love story...guys saves girl, th
deb22luvsbooks
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
I am not normally a paranormal reader. I have read and enjoyed a few ( Twilight, city of bones series. H.M. Wards vampires ). I'm usually hesitant going into them and I felt the same with this book, but I adore Jasinda's books so I was not going to not read this one.
I enjoyed this book, it had just the right amount of angst, mystery and drama. I really enjoyed this more unusual take on the paranormal. I had never heard of djinn before, so that was interesting. Although I really liked Jack and Mi
Bobbie
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a pleasant surprize from Jasinda Wilder. When I got Jack and Djinn, I was apprehensive to read a paranormal romance read. Not because I haven't read any before. Actually quite the opposite. I have read so many I think I burned out on PNR. Well this was not any cookie cutter PNR read. It was a fresh new story within the modern world.

Jasinda continues to provide her readers with strong characters that we all love to connect with. In this world or an other, who doesn't want want a hot hero to
Tracey
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a great read, i was completely surprised by this book, i am an avid reader of anything by Jasinda Wilder but was worried about reading paranormal as i haven't read any in about 2 years but it is a must! It kept me captivated and intrigued throughout the whole story which i must say is fairly hard hitting as it does deal with domestic abuse but is dealt with in a good manner.
It is a perfect medley of paranormal, reality and romance which Jasinda writes very well, i loved the connection betwe
Beth
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
We were pleasantly surprised with this X-Files meets paranormal romance. There is pain, there is mystery and there is romance all woven together in this page turner. The story is focused on abuse and why as women we tend to stay with someone who causes pain in such a terrible way. Jasinda Wilder paints an engaging story that had us on the edge of our seats, setting up for more stories to come of this series. We are hooked and cooked.

5 Sighs for this imaginative captivating story
Staci Randall
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Holy Hotness!

The story of Jack and Djinn was surreal and unlike anything I've ever read.

I've read everything Mrs. Wilder has ever written and this is definitely outside of her comfort zone and I LOVED it. It just made me love her writing even more. When a writer takes the risk of dabbling in different genres, they earn even more respect from me.

I can't wait to read more of their story!
Jessica
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jasinda Wilder This was a great story! It was such a unique story and aside from the unique paranormal side of it, it gave light to a very serious issue of abuse in many forms and the importance of getting help. I thought it was a very wonderful, unique and interesting story and I can't wait to read the next in the series!
Anne Welch
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My first love is paranormal romance and not a genre I expected from Mrs. Wilder. All I can say is she nailed it. I started this book and I could not put it down. This story is about overcoming unimaginable things you thought would destroy you, realizing you are worthy and deserve to be loved. It has it all fast paced suspense, drama, magic and most of all love. Jack is my new hero and I love him!! No cliffhanger and I can’t wait for the next book!!
Nicola
Shelves: series
Really enjoyed this story, the characters and the paranormal aspect of which I've not read a lot of. The characters really made me feel for them, and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Phantom Pleasures (Phantom, #1)
  • Hunter Moon
  • Night's Captive (Dark Enforcers #1)
  • Seducer (Sensual Captivity, #1)
  • Sword of the Raven
  • His Devious Angel (Angels with Attitude, #2)
  • Family Ties (Sunset Crescent, #1)
  • Escaping Trouble (Trouble, #2)
  • Crumbling Walls
  • The New Deputy in Town (Whitehorse Montana, #2)
  • The Puppeteer
  • Single & Searching
  • Magic Gone Wild (Bottled Magic #3)
  • Yearnings: A Paranormal Romance Box Set
  • One Too Many Men
  • Illegal Magic
  • Neptune’s Lair
  • Love By Accident
NEW YORK TIMES, USA TODAY, WALL STREET JOURNAL and international bestselling author Jasinda Wilder is a Michigan native with a penchant for titillating tales about sexy men and strong women. Her bestselling titles include ALPHA, STRIPPED, WOUNDED, and the #1 Amazon and international bestseller FALLING INTO YOU. You can find her on her farm in Northern Michigan with her husband, author Jack Wilder, ...more

The Houri Legends (3 books)
  • Djinn and Tonic (The Houri Legends, #2)
  • Djinn and Juice (The Houri Legends, #3)
“She didn’t believe it, and Jack somehow knew it. Every guy she’d ever been with had treated her the same as Ben. It was how men were.  But Jack was different.” 2 likes
“If you’ve never been caught up in the cycle of violence, you can’t understand it. Even if you know you deserve better, even if you know you should just leave, it just isn’t that easy.” 2 likes