Start by marking “A Hero for the Empire (The Dragon's Bidding, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Hero for the Empire (The Dragon's Bidding, #1)

A Hero for the Empire

(The Dragon's Bidding #1)

They want to save the world—starting with each other.

The Dragon’s Bidding, Book 1

Commander Kimber FitzWarren is running on borrowed time. The cybernetic augmentations that give her superhuman strength and speed have also shortened her life. The success of her next mission is imperative, not only to save her Empire, but because this operation could be her last.

She and a cab
Published October 7th 2014 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about A Hero for the Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hero for the Empire

Start your review of A Hero for the Empire (The Dragon's Bidding, #1)
Debbie
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian I was gifted my copy of this book.

Kimber FitzWarren is an augie: a human with cybernetic enhancements. She is sent to talk to Wolf Youngblood to gain the whereabouts of the only person with the right to be the next emperor, Arianne Ransahov, who happens to be Wolf's ex. There are forces at work keeping these people apart, and a secret that might well kill them all.

I have a thing about dragons, and 99 times out of a hundred, I won't even read the blurb if
Jess Anastasi
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Now, I'm actually pretty picky about my sci-fi romance, which is why I don't read as much as I either should (to keep up with what's going on in the market, etc) or would like. However, both the blurb and extract I found of A Hero for the Empire online sounded pretty good, so I went ahead and got a copy.
I found this book to be quite well written, the action scenes and description done very well, though I felt it was a bit rough and ready to start with. We're tossed into this world with little re
Stacey
Sep 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
Suffers from characters that are flat and unrealistic and insta-love. The attraction between the main characters is unbelievable. If she's a professional soldier, she wouldn't let attraction compromise her mission, even if she did make a move. For that matter, neither would he. The way the romance developed so immediately in two characters supposedly in opposition to each other was ridiculous. Not worth the read.
Rhonda Mason
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Space opera readers and futuristic romance readers
If you liked Guardians of the Galaxy or The Edge of Tomorrow, you'll LOVE A Hero for the Empire. It's an action-packed space opera thrill ride. The butt-kicking heroine is on a mission to save the empire -- and she won't take no for an answer. Her fighting spirit and badassery are equally matched by the hero, and they make for an awesome couple.

I couldn't put this one down. I loved watching the two of them fall in love amidst the chaos of the mission and the mounting tension in the empire.

A must
J.A. Kenney
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, romance, arcs
My official review will be up on Smart Girls Love Scifi right before the books release. But this is was great Sci-fi romance! Well worth the read!

My Review on Smart Girls LOVE Scifi!
T.
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a fast-paced read with some fun characters. There were some flaws in the plot, but for the most part, I strapped myself in and simply enjoyed the ride. A good read!
Cherry
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a very enjoyable Futuristic romance, in the vain of Linnea Sinclair and Katherine Allred.
Kim Berkley
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't read as much sci-fi as I should, and I don't read as much romance as I used to. But I am terribly glad I had the opportunity to read this sparkling gem of a story. It's not perfect—that is, it's not without the typos and small errors that plague many an independently published book—but it does what it's meant to do. It entertains. It engages. And it makes me wish I had a telepathic space cat of my own to accompany me on my adventures.

The novel's weakest point was, for me, the development
Barbara
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love action-filled sci-fi romance, and A Hero for the Empire has it all. Totally kick ass Special Ops agent with cybernetic augmentations, Kimber FitzWarren is on a mission to save the Empire, and because of those augmentations, she’s not expecting to live much longer. Wolf Youngblood is the mercenary that is the key to her mission success, since he can help her find the legendary Ari Ransahov and convince her to take the throne to replace the corrupt Emperor. What follows is a wild ride with ...more
Eva Millien
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
On a mission to place Arianne Ransahov on the throne, Commander Kimber FitzWarren will have to join forces with the mercenary Wolf Youngblood. With their lives on the line every step of the way, a bond forms that even their secrets can’t destroy in this mesmerizing sci-fi romance.

Fitz is on borrowed time and she wants her last mission to mean something, so she’s understandably perturbed with Wolf when he’s reluctant to help out and the reader can’t help but get drawn into the story as assassins
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
This is Science Fiction Romance so it is a book I should have loved but it fell a little flat for me. So what did not work for me: The backstory was there but not in enough detail. There was no build up to the romance. It showed up too early, it was just sex and it interfered with the flow of the story. The world building seemed incomplete.
What worked for me: I liked the two main characters. They had to carry the story and they fit the action. I thought the writing was good. Everything was kept
Nadina
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the book overall. The characters were fun, the plot was interesting, and the sci-fit elements were a mix of unique and reused ideas that fit well together.
However, I did find it a little slow to start, perhaps just because there was background to establish, but while the story intrigued me from the start, based on the description, it took a little bit of time to really get into it.
In addition to this, there were a few instances of typos and misused words that really took me a se
Riley
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-romance
“To Do The Dragon’s Bidding. Military. (Late Scyran Empire— 532 to 893 ER) (1) To pledge your life and honor to the Empire. The reference was to a soldier’s oath of allegiance to the Imperial Seal which bore the image of a rearing quolla— a creature resembling a mythological First World Dragon. (2) To offer blind obedience. Often derisive.”

Sometimes the best way to honor the Empire is to plot against it.

Commander Kimber Fitzwarren (Fitz) has a mission that requires the assistance of Wolfgang Ama
Brittany
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: alien, sci-fi
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. if you have ever seen the movie.  photo starship_troopers_poster_zpsf834b504.jpg

Then this book will seem really familiar. The story was just a little bit hard to follow for me. The author just uses way too many terms that don't get explained. I really needed a glossary. Other than that it was just okay, a hard read for me because I did not know what the author was talking about some of the time. However, If you are a die hard sci-fi fan you will love this.
Sandra
Dec 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Enjoyable space romance but I would have preferred the heroine to be a little more kick ass in practice rather than prose. For an augmented human who is a super soldier she got captured alot. And each time she had her spike removed making her not so super after all. It got kind of annoying after a while. I think she was captured and de spiked a 4 separate times and only actually used her 'super strength/skills' once. Also I thought the instant attraction between Kimber and Wolf was unnecessary a ...more
Tina
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Admittedly I wasn't quite sure that I would like it after reading the synopsis but it turned out to be a good, fun read. I'm always skeptical when romance makes up a significant amount of a science fiction story and while this story definitely showcased the typical romantic fluff between two main characters there was actually an entertaining story paralleling the gushy stuff. It looks like this book is to be the first in a series and I enjoyed the charact ...more
Mallori
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
SciFi world-5, it felt larger than the story and we only got tangential peaks into it, but those were fun and exciting.
Romance-3, a bit too instalove, but I liked the two leads and the eventual resolution.
Hmr28
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it
This one dragged a bit and suffered from poor editing.
Laurel
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
a very entertaining book. I'm glad I've filled myself in on the history of Cypher.
Ellen
Did not finish it.
Larissa Campos
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hell ya, talking (not really) cats!
Jeanette
Jan 31, 2016
Christina Westcott
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Danica Avet
Jul 02, 2016
Leslie - keepsbooks
Apr 19, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Polaris Rising (Consortium Rebellion, #1)
  • Emerald Blaze (Hidden Legacy, #5)
  • Reaper Unexpected (Deadside Reapers, #1)
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Hunting Fiends for the Ill-Equipped (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #3)
  • Dark King (Court of the Sea Fae, #1)
  • Lucky (Gambler's Daughters, #3)
  • One Dark Wish (Deadly Force #2)
  • Bound by Truth
  • Regarding the Duke (Game of Dukes, #3)
  • Rocky Ground (Crimson Point #4)
  • Larkspur (Flowers of Camelot #5)
  • Ivory's Familiars (The Familiars, #1)
  • Lost Star (Wings of Artemis, #11)
  • Surrender Dorothy
  • Not in Kansas
  • Serati's Flame (Vampire Council of Ethics, #2)
  • Carinian's Seeker (Vampire Council of Ethics, #1)

The Dragon's Bidding (2 books)
  • Cypher (The Dragon's Bidding, #2)