Start by marking “The Amazon Way: 14 Leadership Principles Behind the World's Most Disruptive Company” as Want to Read:

In just twenty years, Amazon.com has gone from a start-up internet bookseller to a global company revolutionizing and disrupting multiple industries, including retail, publishing, logistics, devices, apparel, and cloud computing.

But what is at the heart of Amazon.com’s rise to success? Is it the tens of millions of items in stock, the company’s technological prowess, or th
Published May 21st 2014 (first published May 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Amazon Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amazon Way

Start your review of The Amazon Way: 14 Leadership Principles Behind the World's Most Disruptive Company
Alexander L. Belikoff
The book is basically an advocacy brochure for Amazon Leadership Principles. As far as the Principles go, I am a big fan - they are honest, emphasize the right traits and suggest really robust behavior patterns. I definitely find myself reviewing them and checking my decisions against them on a regular basis. So from that aspect, this book is highly recommended.

I do disagree however with the Author's insistence, that these Principles are inextricably linked to the "gladiator pit" corporate cultu
Sairam Krishnan
Work reading. A short, rather rushed introduction to the management principles that have made Amazon what it is today. Definitely a good read, but a few more examples in some places and some deeper exploration of the ideas in some others would have made the book much better.

Still an interesting read, however, and worth the two or so hours it will take of your time.
Jun 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Again as a current employee and a Full Cycle Recruiter; reading this book didn't reveal anything I haven't already learned. Again it was a reinforcement to the culture and now I know what most candidates read before coming in to interview with us. It's great material for background knowledge but a candidate must have some quality evidence to prove they can back-up the principals they claim they have. ...more
Oana
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very good business book - stands up to its title and delivers what it promises. Also, it is clear and straightforward, no beating around the bush here.
Niki Agrawal
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book does exactly what it's supposed to. It details the 14 leadership principles that Amazon uses with memorable examples and sticky stories. You will likely reference a few of these later, especially if you are in product or tech. If you are simply interested in learning more about Amazon's culture, this book is also for you.

Easy read (or Audible listen). Well-written. And the book balances tiny details with overarching themes very well. (A summary of the 14 principles does no justice to t
Gabriele MaZa
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
The first part of the book was nice with beautiful examples for every value of Amazon, although, in my opinion, the second part was far-fetched. Would give more stars, as it was pretty good, but most of the stories were already known because of other articles and reads related to Amazon.
Chris
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well-written and very clear as business books go.
Toni Kokkonen
Mar 27, 2021 rated it liked it
Not bad... Interesting to see how Amazon uses their LPs in practice and some interesting examples that I can probably use to stir up discussion in my own work as well.
Cyril Danthi
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Amazon Way, introduces readers to the unique corporate culture of the world’s largest Internet retailer, with a focus on the fourteen leadership principles that have guided and shaped its decisions and its distinctive leadership culture.
I found this book interesting with easy flow on each of the principles with some examples. . Amazon is one of the globally admired companies. The book just reflects on the 14 principles of leadership that build a great organisation. The crux of these 14 prin
Vlad Bezden
Apr 24, 2022 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not enjoy it, and I gave up reading it after 30 pages.
Adolf Guzman
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quick and easy to read, nothing that is not public, however it has the most key and very simple examples for business process ideas and corporate leadership to sucess on delivery results.
Brian Nwokedi
Introduction
The Amazon Way is a book by a former executive on the 14 leadership principles that drive their success. Above all though, it is clear the only thing that really matters is the customer. At the core of everything Amazon does from systems to the way in which they compensate their employees is this obsession over the customer. The Amazon Way is your guide into how Jeff Bezos built the Everything Store that now dominates.

Why Should You Read This Book?
Amazon has been one of the most disr
Daniil Bratchenko
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is inspiring to the extent Amazon leadership principles (https://www.amazon.jobs/principles) are inspiring. If you consider reading the book, read the principles first. If you want one more level of detail, go ahead.

The book is not too long and it is good.
Sumit Singla
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Insightful and inspiring, these are not just values that a company adopts, they should also be guiding principles that all corporate professionals should adopt. If only, we use these parameters to lead us, we would never have an Enron or an Arthur Andersen.

I really appreciated the examples, anecdotes, and stories in the book, which brought the 14 principles to life.

The only (minor) complaint that I have is - the author looked like he was in a bit of a hurry to finish and so didn't devote enough
Mike
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fascinating look at the mindset and culture of the leaders at Amazon.
Geoff
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good quick read but quite insightful for business process ideas and corporate leadership.
Andrew Doss
May 15, 2022 rated it liked it
This book had some ideas that I found interesting, for example, that solving customer problems at the root or with automation both increases customer satisfaction and reduces variable costs as a business scales. I also liked the points about endearing customers by proactively addressing and making amends for their problems before they even complain (I've seen how much goodwill this can generate while supporting users at a startup).

Some ideas were already familiar but helpful to see articulated
Aakash Aggarwal
Oct 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Straight-forward look into the 14 leadership principles of Amazon. While it’s claimed that these leadership principles has enabled Amazon to become what it is today, I feel it’s suspect. These leadership principles can transcend their power over decades but how do you explain running a tight ship spread across many countries and local cultures without being at loggerheads with the leadership principles?

In my view, these leadership principles reduce GTM pain for Amazon in multiple geographies. I
SADIK BAYDERE
Whatever the number of leadership principles in an organization, what matters most in the end is whether they produce sustainable satisfactory results for all the internal and external parties, ie. "result-oriented" or not. And also whether they are tactically and continuously applied at every level as a heartily adopted intrinsic culture or just displayed as a misleading make-up for glossification.

As Rossman highlights in his book, Amazon's success is based on being result-oriented, through st
Simon Krasilnikov
I enjoyed the book. Interesting principles, good to know and aknowledge not to go to Amazon for a work. Really, don’t want to change my “Country Club” to these Day 1 principles, internal budget optimizations, almost military discipline and lower then average income philosophy. As a customer I mostly satisfied with services they built. But... they are not ideal and tranperent for end users in many cases from my personal experience. Not that good as they think about. Especially, in cases related t ...more
Saima
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
Amazon.com is the biggest online everything store today. In The Amazon Way former employee John Rossman writes about the principles guiding the company. These principles were the foundation of the many strategies, management techniques and lessons he learnt and practiced at the company and kept referencing to years after he had left.

These are not suggested guidelines for its employees but are infact core tenets on which leaders are judged and rated. Amazon leaders work hard to make their thinkin
Phú Nguyễn
May 01, 2022 rated it really liked it
Great introduction to Amazon’s leadership principles. Recommend it. But like, it’s a bit rushed? I was extremely upset about the lack of details and examples in chapter 11 when the author discuss the 2-pizza team.

Anyway, I am going to digress a little here. I read this right after finishing Steve Jobs’ biography so I was thrilled to see how some aspects of Jeff’s leadership style resemble that of Jobs while some are in complete opposition. Like, for example, they both are very attentive to deta
Ross
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good concise summary of Amazon’s values

This is a quick read. I finished it in a single sitting. That said, if you’re interested in how Amazon works it may be the most accessible way to understand the company’s internal culture. I came away with a much deeper respect not just for Bezos and Amazon’s early corporate team, but for every worker who’s managed to persevere there over the years. I also learned a great deal more about the best aspects of Amazon’s famously “gladiatorial” method of getting
Jay Izso
Jul 21, 2022 rated it it was amazing
When you start reading John Rossman's "The Amazon Way" you are immediately brought into the leadership of Jeff Bezos and the Amazon culture. These 14 leadership principles are so tightly interwoven together that while they appear they can stand on their own in fact each one is weighted the same. This book is so insightful when it comes to the how Amazon is as successful as they have become. And while these are Amazon's leadership principles (LP's) if you were to apply these principles to your ow ...more
Charles
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had trouble rating this book. The topic was fascinating, the content intriguing. But the writing was very difficult to slog through.
The 14 ideas from amazon are something every major company should embrace. But, the way they were presented was marginally more informative than a bulleted PowerPoint list. More stories. An explanation of why someone would leave this environment.
He had a good idea. And even the format is well done as a reading circle or team building exercise. But, again, the wr
Tanner
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paperback. 2.5 stars. This was a book I read for work. I consider it a glorified series of blog posts on Amazon's leadership principles. John worked at Amazon for about 4 years in a director position (which is about level 8, with Bezos being a level 11 in the hierarchy). I was put off by the typos, the way the book seems to taper in terms of content toward the latter principles, and the lack of second-level insights or insider information. The good news--the leadership principles are impressive, ...more
Anupama
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Whelp, it was a quick read. I enjoyed it. Learned some admirable things about Amazon - including that the company aims for a meritocracy, not unlike Dalio’s Bridgewater. Admire how data and accountability are integrated into the business, and how innovation & customer service is always at the forefront of Amazon’s business. Bezos is described as a crazy person... maybe you have to be. There’s got to be a balance between zero coworker accountability and the two stroke, high competition, high stre ...more
Giovani Facchini
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a focused (short) book covering the Amazon Leadership principles and how to have a better understanding of how they apply on your day to day work.

There is valuable information about some expected behaviors such as customer obsessed, the hiring process (veto powers and the "bar raiser") and providing evidence (data) when suggesting a change. The examples provided help the reader to grasp on how to tackle certain principles.

I think it worth the reading.

My critique is that the book is too s
Quynh
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
John Rossman worked closely with Jeff Bezos during his time at Amazon. The Amazon way goes fairly deep in leadership principles that make Amazon as it is today. I wish there are some follow-up books to dive deep and how to practice these principles. A quite short and rather rushed introduction to leadership principles, sayings by Bezos strongly strengthen these 14 ideas. That said, this is clearly a frequent reference book, I personally think it should be read early in anyone's career and gradua ...more
Gustav Bertram
Nov 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More insight into the Amazon Leadership Principles

This book covers the famous Amazon leadership priciples in more depth than the somewhat terse description on their website.

Good for gaining more insight into those principles, putting them into context.

Has appendices that discuss creating business Platforms, which seems to be core to the "invent and simplify" principle. Worth reading, though it felt a bit like you need a background in Lean, Six Sigma, etc. to fully appreciate.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Working Backwards: Insights, Stories, and Secrets from Inside Amazon
  • Cracking the Amazon Interview: A Step by Step Guide to Land the Job
  • Invent and Wander: The Collected Writings of Jeff Bezos
  • Amazon Unbound: Jeff Bezos and the Invention of a Global Empire
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • Answering Behavioral Questions in Amazon Interviews: Advice for Candidates at All Levels
  • Hit Refresh: The Quest to Rediscover Microsoft's Soul and Imagine a Better Future for Everyone
  • Build: An Unorthodox Guide to Making Things Worth Making
  • House of Sticks
  • Answering Behavioral Questions in Amazon Interviews, Second Edition: Advice for Candidates at All Levels
  • Comedy Comedy Comedy Drama
  • Amazon Interview Questions: A Step By Step Guide to Successfully Respond to All the Amazon Interview Questions and Land the Job! With 101 Popular Amazon Leadership Principles Interview Questions
  • Amp It Up: Leading for Hypergrowth by Raising Expectations, Increasing Urgency, and Elevating Intensity
  • The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You
  • Spoon-Fed: Why Almost Everything We’ve Been Told About Food is Wrong
  • Solve for Happy: Engineer Your Path to Joy
  • Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and What the Ocean Tells Us about Ourselves
  • Tell No Lies (Quinn & Costa #2)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
See top shelves…
John Rossman is a former Amazon executive, author of several books and a leading business and leadership advisor. His just released third edition of the business classic The Amazon Way which is his story opening up the Amazon Leadership Principles as only an insider could do. Mr. Rossman is an expert at crafting and implementing innovative and digital business models and capabilities, including th ...more