Start by marking “The Amazon Way: 14 Leadership Principles Behind the World's Most Disruptive Company” as Want to Read:

In just twenty years, Amazon.com has gone from a start-up internet bookseller to a global company revolutionizing and disrupting multiple industries, including retail, publishing, logistics, devices, apparel, and cloud computing.

But what is at the heart of Amazon.com’s rise to success? Is it the tens of millions of items in stock, the company’s technological prowess, or
Published May 21st 2014 (first published May 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Amazon Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amazon Way

Start your review of The Amazon Way: 14 Leadership Principles Behind the World's Most Disruptive Company
Alexander
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is basically an advocacy brochure for Amazon Leadership Principles. As far as the Principles go, I am a big fan - they are honest, emphasize the right traits and suggest really robust behavior patterns. I definitely find myself reviewing them and checking my decisions against them on a regular basis. So from that aspect, this book is highly recommended.

I do disagree however with the Author's insistence, that these Principles are inextricably linked to the "gladiator pit" corporate
Sairam Krishnan
Work reading. A short, rather rushed introduction to the management principles that have made Amazon what it is today. Definitely a good read, but a few more examples in some places and some deeper exploration of the ideas in some others would have made the book much better.

Still an interesting read, however, and worth the two or so hours it will take of your time.
Oana Ciurdarean
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very good business book - stands up to its title and delivers what it promises. Also, it is clear and straightforward, no beating around the bush here.
Niki Agrawal
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book does exactly what it's supposed to. It details the 14 leadership principles that Amazon uses with memorable examples and sticky stories. You will likely reference a few of these later, especially if you are in product or tech. If you are simply interested in learning more about Amazon's culture, this book is also for you.

Easy read (or Audible listen). Well-written. And the book balances tiny details with overarching themes very well. (A summary of the 14 principles does no justice to
Gabriele MaZa
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
The first part of the book was nice with beautiful examples for every value of Amazon, although, in my opinion, the second part was far-fetched. Would give more stars, as it was pretty good, but most of the stories were already known because of other articles and reads related to Amazon.
Chris
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well-written and very clear as business books go.
Cyril Danthi
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Amazon Way, introduces readers to the unique corporate culture of the world’s largest Internet retailer, with a focus on the fourteen leadership principles that have guided and shaped its decisions and its distinctive leadership culture.
I found this book interesting with easy flow on each of the principles with some examples. . Amazon is one of the globally admired companies. The book just reflects on the 14 principles of leadership that build a great organisation. The crux of these 14
Adolf Guzman
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quick and easy to read, nothing that is not public, however it has the most key and very simple examples for business process ideas and corporate leadership to sucess on delivery results.
Brian Nwokedi
Introduction
The Amazon Way is a book by a former executive on the 14 leadership principles that drive their success. Above all though, it is clear the only thing that really matters is the customer. At the core of everything Amazon does from systems to the way in which they compensate their employees is this obsession over the customer. The Amazon Way is your guide into how Jeff Bezos built the Everything Store that now dominates.

Why Should You Read This Book?
Amazon has been one of the most
Daniil Bratchenko
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is inspiring to the extent Amazon leadership principles (https://www.amazon.jobs/principles) are inspiring. If you consider reading the book, read the principles first. If you want one more level of detail, go ahead.

The book is not too long and it is good.
Sumit Singla
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Insightful and inspiring, these are not just values that a company adopts, they should also be guiding principles that all corporate professionals should adopt. If only, we use these parameters to lead us, we would never have an Enron or an Arthur Andersen.

I really appreciated the examples, anecdotes, and stories in the book, which brought the 14 principles to life.

The only (minor) complaint that I have is - the author looked like he was in a bit of a hurry to finish and so didn't devote enough
Jun 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Again as a current employee and a Full Cycle Recruiter; reading this book didn't reveal anything I haven't already learned. Again it was a reinforcement to the culture and now I know what most candidates read before coming in to interview with us. It's great material for background knowledge but a candidate must have some quality evidence to prove they can back-up the principals they claim they have.
Geoff
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good quick read but quite insightful for business process ideas and corporate leadership.
Mike
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fascinating look at the mindset and culture of the leaders at Amazon.
Semen Krasilnikov
I enjoyed the book. Interesting principles, good to know and aknowledge not to go to Amazon for a work. Really, don’t want to change my “Country Club” to these Day 1 principles, internal budget optimizations, almost military discipline and lower then average income philosophy. As a customer I mostly satisfied with services they built. But... they are not ideal and tranperent for end users in many cases from my personal experience. Not that good as they think about. Especially, in cases related ...more
Ross
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good concise summary of Amazon’s values

This is a quick read. I finished it in a single sitting. That said, if you’re interested in how Amazon works it may be the most accessible way to understand the company’s internal culture. I came away with a much deeper respect not just for Bezos and Amazon’s early corporate team, but for every worker who’s managed to persevere there over the years. I also learned a great deal more about the best aspects of Amazon’s famously “gladiatorial” method of getting
Tanner
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paperback. 2.5 stars. This was a book I read for work. I consider it a glorified series of blog posts on Amazon's leadership principles. John worked at Amazon for about 4 years in a director position (which is about level 8, with Bezos being a level 11 in the hierarchy). I was put off by the typos, the way the book seems to taper in terms of content toward the latter principles, and the lack of second-level insights or insider information. The good news--the leadership principles are impressive, ...more
Charles
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had trouble rating this book. The topic was fascinating, the content intriguing. But the writing was very difficult to slog through.
The 14 ideas from amazon are something every major company should embrace. But, the way they were presented was marginally more informative than a bulleted PowerPoint list. More stories. An explanation of why someone would leave this environment.
He had a good idea. And even the format is well done as a reading circle or team building exercise. But, again, the
Giovani Facchini
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a focused (short) book covering the Amazon Leadership principles and how to have a better understanding of how they apply on your day to day work.

There is valuable information about some expected behaviors such as customer obsessed, the hiring process (veto powers and the "bar raiser") and providing evidence (data) when suggesting a change. The examples provided help the reader to grasp on how to tackle certain principles.

I think it worth the reading.

My critique is that the book is too
Anupama
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Whelp, it was a quick read. I enjoyed it. Learned some admirable things about Amazon - including that the company aims for a meritocracy, not unlike Dalio’s Bridgewater. Admire how data and accountability are integrated into the business, and how innovation & customer service is always at the forefront of Amazon’s business. Bezos is described as a crazy person... maybe you have to be. There’s got to be a balance between zero coworker accountability and the two stroke, high competition, high ...more
Utsav Parashar
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All 14 principles are explained clearly with examples.
Start of the book is quite interesting.
Only think I disliked was mentioning of "loosing you job" quite many times. In my personal experience if one works properly then Amazon will never ask him/her to leave ever in his/her lifetime.
Looking Amazon from the view of S-Team member is astonishing.
My personal favourite principle is "Dive Deep".
Henk Devos
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
What I like about this book is that it's very short, meaning it didn't take me too much time to read it.
The 14 principles (which are listed on the Amazon web site) are well explained and there is certainly a lot to lears for people outside of Amazon. There's a reason why Amazon got successful, and besides pure luck, the principles described here are certainly part of that.
I would recommend reading this book, especially considering that it will not take up too much of your time.
Jaikrishnan Ramachandran
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author has a lucid writing style and kept me engaged from the first to the last page. He picks up one leadership principle at a time, explaining with interesting examples and tales of the founders approach to leadership. The book is inspiring. The last few chapters, focus on aspects of a "Platform" business and 10 critical factors to succeed are called out. This will help entrepreneurs who are looking to scaling their business. The time spent on these 110 pages were well worth it for me.
Mohammad Tirani
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book contains all of the information needed about the Amazon culture and working environment. The 14 leadership principles can be used not only while working in Amazon, but also in our professional and personal lives.
Personally, this book has helped me a lot when I applied for the Amazon Pathways Operations leadership program. The things that this book provided for me helped me during my interviews and played a huge role in my success in getting a job offer.
Mike Hales
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lessons from Amazon

There are a number of great proven models and lessons a plenty to be absorbed. The level of detail is fantastic and the wealth of info valuable but the cheapness of how the business is run worries me. I agree with the principle but feel is gone too far and that spoils it a bit for me. The power of data is strong in this one and a great read.
Radu Vunvulea
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I expected more from this book. I was disappointed by the content, especially because the title set high expectations. Be careful because there are stories with how Amazon used to do business, but not all of them can be used or applicable anymore. The context changed and you cannot use all the tips on our time.
Steve Esso
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Concise book on Amazon's 14 Leadership Principles

Concise and great description of the fourteen Amazon Leadership principles. I've also enjoyed so much the two appendices. The facts that the author was an amazonian helps to better understand each of these principles and many of them can be adapted to forge team's culture.
Yamato
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book.
So many insightful way of life principles.
Need to reference to remind myself to apply towards my day job as well.

We have become a big slow company over time, after starting out as a nimble entreprenurial company....
Will need to check back on my notes that I wrote while reading this book.
Suphatra
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great business book. I actually always carry it with me now! The business principles align well with my life principles and are very helpful as a daily guide for how to excel at work.

It is hard to get a copy of one of these manifestos (I was lucky to get a used one from NYC Public Library) so if you come across one, definitely buy it!
Aslan Umarov
I purchased this book as I find Amazon and Jeff Bezos very interesting fenomenon in business. I stopped reading this book really quickly as it is going around one and the same mantra: Price, selection, availability. It is a good mantra, though the rest of the book seemed like advertising brochure to me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • The Product Manager Interview: 164 Actual Questions and Answers
  • Cracking the PM Interview: How to Land a Product Manager Job in Technology
  • Measure What Matters
  • Powerful: Building a Culture of Freedom and Responsibility
  • Building Microservices: Designing Fine-Grained Systems
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • Decode and Conquer: Answers to Product Management Interviews
  • Blitzscaling: The Lightning-Fast Path to Building Massively Valuable Companies
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • High Growth Handbook
  • Principles: Life and Work
  • Hit Refresh
  • Platform Revolution: How Networked Markets Are Transforming the Economy--and How to Make Them Work for You
  • Power: Why Some People Have it and Others Don't
  • What Color Is Your Parachute? Guide to Rethinking Resumes: Write a Winning Resume and Cover Letter and Land Your Dream Interview (What Color Is Your Parachute Guide to Rethinking..)
  • What Color Is Your Parachute? Job-Hunter's Workbook, Fifth Edition: A Companion to the Best-Selling Job-Hunting Book in the World
“Strong processes with measurable outcomes eliminate bureaucracy and expose underperformers.” 1 likes
“best customer service is no customer service—because the best experience happens when the customer never has to ask for help at all.” 1 likes