Start by marking “The Treasure Hunt” as Want to Read:
The Treasure Hunt

The Treasure Hunt

They were silent a moment each thinking of the strange clue and even stranger signature. Anna was first to speak. "It seems like some sort of treasure hunt."

A boring summer vacation turns into an exciting adventure when Anna and her brother David discover a mysterious note. Soon they are hunting for clues, solving puzzles, and cracking codes--all on their own farm!
Published June 1st 2014 by Toward Home Press

To ask other readers questions about The Treasure Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Treasure Hunt

Start your review of The Treasure Hunt
Jazzy [ jazbooked ]
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
my blog: http://thrivinghope.blogspot.com

my review - 5 stars

This was a fun short read by fellow blogger, Kate Willis. I enjoyed trying to figure out the clues before reading further, and I love how fast-paced everything was. It was like boom boom boom things were ROLLING. I also loved the sibling relationships! With the "old and borings" and the younger bunch, it made me think of my own siblings; there are my older brother and sister, me, and then a 7-year gap between my younger brother and I.
Angie Thompson
This was a cute little kids' story. Obviously a bit young and a bit rough in places, but still very sweet. And I can now say I've read all of Kate's published books to date! ;)

Also, thanks to a couple of hilarious sibling author chats, I have some not-so-outlandish guesses about who this story was based on... XD
Faith
This was such a cute book!! I loved the treasure hunt theme – finding hunts and solving clues. It was so fun!! :D It reminded me some of the Boxcar Children books. I read it in less than an hour and really enjoyed it. :)

Favorite quote: The weathered barn ruled the pasture like red apples against green leaves. The nearby chicken coop was its echo.

Age Appropriate For: All Ages
Best for Ages: 8-15

This story was so much fun! This is the kind of book that I wanted around when I was younger. It was a fun story about siblings on a treasure hunt that lasts a few days. What is not to love?

The style was charming. There was nothing deep in this book, although faith is mentioned. It’s one of those books that would make a delightful summer afternoon read for a kid. Although, they might start making treasure hunts themselves.

The characters were
Amanda Tero
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was super fun to read! Though it is written for a children's audience, I can honestly say I enjoyed every minute of it. It was very realistic and just good-hearted family fun. I loved that the older sisters (aka the "Old and Borings" -- so cute!) took their time to create a treasure hunt for their younger siblings. The story was well-paced and didn't bore me out. There was something about reading an innocent child's book that was refreshing. I would give this book to any of my younger ...more
Mikayla
I love kids books. There is just something refreshing about leaving the problems you might face in normal fiction and going into the nice, simple life of children's fiction.
This was a cute book, and felt extremely realistic. I wish it had been around when I was about ten, because I have a feeling I would have worn out a copy back then. I was always looking for kids books that could have happened in real life, but never really found any. But now I have. This makes me very happy.
This is perfect
Olivia
A sweet, short story that I enjoyed. I liked the comardship between the sibling, and although all the clues weren't extremely clear, I did like the result of their treasure hunt :) I think I'd give this a little higher rater for younger readers as it is geared more for children.
Liz F.
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awe! What a darling story! I loved it!!

(and I have a copy of it now too! Yay!)

Even though it was a children's story, I found myself interested. Kate has a lovely writing style and I can't wait to read more! (I also purchased a copy of Kiera so hopefully I can read that soon!!)
I liked that this story was realistic and the mystery wasn't cheesy.
And I loved that all the siblings had names, "The Old and Boring's" "The Middlers" and "The Little Girls"

This book is perfect for a quick afternoon
E.F.B.
Cute. :) Definitely geared towards readers younger than myself and I feel this author's writing has improved a lot in the years since this little story was released, but still a cute read featuring healthy, positive family relationships and giving a taste of what it's like to live in a large family. (Not something I have any personal experience with being an only child and all, LOL. :P)

If you like sweet contemporary stories that make you happy, you'll like this.
Hannah
Geared toward a tween reading level and a really fun little story to read. I really enjoyed the different characters and especially got a chuckle out of the "old-and-boring" sisters. A fun option for a family story or an all-ages read-aloud.
Victoria Minks
I feel that this is geared more towards younger kids, so I gave a review based on that level of reading, not particularly my own. :)

A super sweet little story-- I enjoyed the closeness of the family and it brought back fond memories of my partially-true "family stories" that I used to write with some friends.

Totally clean and light-hearted in nature, I'd give this to my younger siblings to read for sure. They will enjoy this! Some of the clues and how the children in the book got to the answer
Allyson
I thought I had written out a full review for this one on a piece of loose-leaf paper, but it looks like I've lost my notes or my mind. XD Anyway, The Treasure Hunt is another delightful short story by Kate Willis. The story centers around the middle kids in the family solving a treasure hunt that the older kids created for them. I especially admired the connections from the story's characters to the Willis family. I highly recommend this book kids ages 6 and above, and fans of middle grade or ...more
R.J. Rodda
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A short and sweet story about three children who are bored in the school holidays. Their older sisters devise a treasure hunt for them. The interest in this story comes from the excitement the children have in finding the clues, however sometimes the way this was written was confusing for my eight year especially the jump back into the past in chapter one and the section from the POV of the older sisters. You get the sense of what life is like as part of a large family and I just wish that some ...more
Angela R. Watts
Sweet little story and the siblings were all adorable! =D
Kate Willis
May 30, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is my first book. I originally wrote it as a gift for my younger sister Anna, but my mom encouraged me that other middle-grade readers would enjoy it as well. I'm so glad she did because this was the beginning of my author journey!
Maddy
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books, reviewed

What a fun short story this was! I loved the treasure hunt theme, and I thought that the whole story was really cute. The clues throughout the hunt were great. There weren't super obvious and they made you think. This book is geared towards a younger audience, but I really enjoyed it. I'll definitely be giving it to my younger sister to read.

Also, I loved that they referred to their older sisters as "the old and borings" ;)

" I received a free copy of this book from the author. I was
Kellyn Roth
Ah, that was sweet! I really enjoyed it. There were some problems, like it being hard to understand sometimes (especially the clues ... though technically they're supposed to be hard, I guess; I just didn't get how the kids drew their conclusions sometimes) and the writing maybe needing a bit of polishing here and there, plus head-hopping.

But overall, it was a cute, quick afternoon read. Great for readers of any age. :)

~Kellyn Roth, Reveries Reviews
Elizabeth Dragina
Sweet book....definitely geared toward younger readers.

It has inspired me to set up a treasure hunt of my own (I always loved doing that for siblings).

I was surprised to find out it was a story based on real events in the author's family. Doubly cute.
R.A.
This was great!! I absolutely love treasure hunts! :D It was fun being with Anna, David, and Lily as they found the clues. I totally pictured all the siblings as Kate Willis and her siblings - I'm pretty sure that's who they were meant to be!

I loved this!
Star Shining Forever
It's a cute short story of some siblings on a farm who go on a treasure hunt. It starts out rather mysterious but it isn't very high-stakes at all. The little snapshot of life on a farm is charming.
Becca
This is a very cute mystery in the tradition of Castleberry Farm Press's Farm Mystery series. (http://www.castleberryfarmspress.com/...)
Great for 10 and under!
Kay Tuck
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great short story from Kate Willis.

Another great short story Kate Willis. This is the second book from this author that I have read, but it won't be the last. This book is about making lasting memories. I truly enjoyed this story.
J.C.
Oh my goodness, what a sweet, cute, and fun story! It was just so much fun. Though I have yet to do so myself, I see this as the perfect read-aloud for younger siblings. These kind of stories were the ones I absolutely loved when I was young (and still love, for that matter); it’s full of imagination and cheer and lots of little-kid energy, and I loved it!The story is about three siblings who are sent on a treasure hunt by their older siblings. This short-but-sweet little novelette follows them ...more
Rebekah Morris
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had been wanting to read this book, but saved it for a quiet Sunday afternoon. It was delightful! The story was simple yet well written. The characters were real and made me wish I could join in their activities. It made me want to read more about this sweet family. :) This would be a great book to read with younger children or let them read it themselves. (Older ones just may find themselves enjoying it too. I did!)
Perry
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A super-sweet, family friendly book. Would make a fantastic read-aloud!
Sarah Grace Grzy
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was so sweet! Kate effectively captures children and their personalities. A sweet sweet story! Written for younger children, but enjoyable for teens and adults. This would be a fun read-aloud.
Rebekah Jones
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
A sweet story about three siblings who don't know what to do with themselves one summer's day. That is until they start finding clues tucked in different places around their farm and start on a treasure hunt...
Shiloh
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read aloud for younger siblings!
serena482*
My rating 3.5 stars. This was an interesting read. It was a very short book. This is a good kids book. I enjoyed it. :)
C.B. Cook
This boooooook!!!! :D It was such a sweet story, and I had a lot of fun reading about the kids' treasure hunt. It seemed really realistic and was a fun, short ride. I highly recommend!

• The Reluctant Godfather (The Tales of Ambia, #1)
  • Johnny Tremain
  • Wisp
  • The Family Under the Bridge
  • Live Without You
  • Diamond (The Greywood Files #1)
  • Once Upon a Dime (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #6)
  • Crossroads
  • Red Rover, Red Rover (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #1)
  • Love Needs No Words
  • The Great Lab Escape (The Kitten Files #0.5)
  • The Vanderbeekers and the Hidden Garden (The Vanderbeekers #2)
  • Kate's Innocence (Kate's Case Files #1)
  • The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street (The Vanderbeekers, #1)
  • The 12 Cats of Christmas (The Kitten Files)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1)
  • In His Steps
  • A Brother Is Born
Kate Willis likes nothing more than a good story and a thoughtful conversation, preferably with a side of chai tea. Her love for Jesus Christ and her big, closeknit family inspire every story. She is an avid reader and enjoys writing for all ages. Her new novella Sincerely, Jem is releasing January 2020.
“As they ran to the barn and began the careful climb up the steep ladder, Lily realized she had accidentally put on snow boots in her hurry. When they reached the top, the quiet hush of the still hayloft gave them that whisper-in-the-library feeling.” 3 likes
“It all started with one of those days--one of those muggy, first-of-the-summer-vacation days when everyone older and everyone younger knew what to do, but everyone in between was lost.” 2 likes