Start by marking “The Battle of Castle Nebula (The Cendrillon Cycle, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Battle of Castle Nebula (The Cendrillon Cycle, #1)

The Battle of Castle Nebula

(The Cendrillon Cycle #1)

She has nothing left, not even her dreams. But Elsa Vogel still has her duty, and she will do it, no matter the peril, no matter the anguish in her heart as she leaves her ravaged home planet, perhaps never to return.

And the same tragedy that tore Elsa’s life to pieces also transformed the lives of others. Others who may need a reason to go on living, after the cataclysmi
Published December 21st 2014

Anne Stengl
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
While Stephanie Ricker began to tell of the Cendrillon worlds in A CINDER'S TALE (featured in the FIVE GLASS SLIPPERS anthology), this book is, I think, the true introduction to her vision. This adventure takes a gritty look into the backstories of Elsa and Bruno, two heroes from very different walks of life, and shows us the journey of tragedy that leads to their eventual unlikely friendship. From the Jack London-esque opening chapter, to the breathtaking climax in the skies above planets Anser ...more
Amber Stokes
This first volume of "The Cendrillon Cycle" takes us back in time (well, the future for us, but the past for the characters from Stephanie Ricker's novella in the Five Glass Slippers collection, A Cinder's Tale). Not only does the story begin in Elsa's past, but partway through it jumps back into the past again, to ten years prior and the lead-in to the Battle of Castle Nebula.

Suffice it to say, it would be good to come to this story with the knowledge that 1) you're getting some of the back sto
E.F.B.
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of sci-fi and books with complex characters
Shelves: sci-fi
My rating is actually 4.5 stars.

Sci-fi is not my favorite genre to read (I like it, it's just not my favorite book genre), so it takes a good story for me to really enjoy it. This is one of those stories. I read Stephanie Ricker's first story "A Cinder's Tale" which takes place in the same world as this book and I was really looking forward to getting the backstory for the main characters. "The Battle of Castle Nebula" did not disappoint. While it's not as light-hearted a story as "A Cinder's T
H.S.J. Williams
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was so awesome to continue Elsa's story! Or rather step back into Elsa's story. We learn a lot about her and Bruno's past as referenced in The Cinder's Tale. As you might guess then, this tale is far grimmer, with tragic loss, a bit of language (he--), and deeper emotions. But Stephanie's writing is as vivid as usual and her worlds mind-blowing. Keep in mind, this is only the beginning, and if you start off with this story, make sure you continue on in the anthology, Five Glass Slippers, befo ...more
Rachel
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read to page 153 and stopped. I read Stephanie Ricker's novella in the 5 Glass Slippers anthology and would rate that story at 5 stars. Reading this book, all I could think about was how much editing can make a difference. Don't get me wrong, this wasn't a bad book or story. It just wasn't as tight as the one in the anthology. It kept feeling like it was just giving back story for the characters in the anthology story. I kept thinking, "What is the story besides back story?" Also, each paragra ...more
Wesley Fox
May 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I finished a little over 50 percent before stopping. The story failed to unfold much in that time and there wasn't much of interest otherwise to keep me engaged.

It takes place in the far future where humanity is colonized dozens of worlds, using a mineral called cendrillon to fuel interstellar spacecraft. Elsa is a young woman who decides to become a cendrillon miner after her parents die. Bruno is a miner as well but came there after serving in the military. I didn't get much farther so I can't
Meagan Myhren-bennett
The Battle of Castle Nebula
The Cendrillon Cycle 1
By Stephanie Ricker

If you read the Five Glass Slippers anthology and enjoyed Stephanie Ricker's A Cinder's Tale you have to read The Battle of Castle Nebula. This novella is set before the events of A Cinder's Tale introducing you to Elsa and Bruno and tragedies that lead them to become cinders and the dangers such a life would bring.

The Battle of Castle Nebula is told from from two different times set 10 years apart. The first time period covers
Bailey Marissa
The Cendrillon Cycle #1: The Readers Didn't Need Their Hearts Anyways

This book was both heartbreaking and amazing. It feels kind of like a prequel in the fact that Elsa doesn't get more than half of the book, but considering most people read Five Glass Slippers first, it fits. The world building is amazing because it's unique and large but it's never confusing or overwhelming.

Also, why do I have a feeling that the Death that I talked about while reading isn't true? Calling it right now: someone
Carolyn
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
Loved it - can't wait for the next installment.
Terry Dawson
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A few days ago I published a review of Five Glass Slippers: A Collection of Cinderella Stories. They were the result of an international competition looking for new and highly creative versions of that much-loved fairy tale. (Yes, I know - but I promise we'll get to the sci-fi bit quite quickly...)

One of the stories in that collection - `A Cinder's Tale' - is about a girl who spends her time scooping up hazardous magma from the surface of an unstable and extremely dangerous star. Elsa's life cha
Faith
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
"The Battle of Castle Nebula" had all the elements I want to experience in my reading selections: action, emotion, political intrigue, twists and unforeseen turns, romance, interesting/dynamic characters, and history/cultures that extend well outside the happenings of the novel.

I like books that feel like they contain just one snippet of a whole world (or in this case, universe), just a small segment of a much larger context. This novel achieves that feeling surprisingly well.

And the author achi
Ross Anderson
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked it: there was no necessity to have read the first story featuring Elsa in "A Cinder's Tale." Even so, the story progressed from the turmoil of a nineteen-year-old protagonist who sees little hope and in a fight for her life against the dangers and past demons of her home world, to the decade before that permits the reader to see what occurred that ended her childhood and ultimately left her an orphan.

Thankfully, although the timeline shifts about from 19-year-old Elsa's present to her pa
Jill
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story very much! The battle scenes are fantastic edge-of-the-seat reading, and the backstories of two major characters from "A Cinder's Tale" (from Five Glass Slippers) are both fascinating and tear-inducing. Ms. Ricker builds a solidly believable sci-fi world and provides foreshadowing and set-up for books to come while giving this tale a complete wrap-up. I'm looking forward to more of this series!
Ian
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
On the outside, this looks like a fun space adventure. Oh, it is, but it also knows how to blindside you as well. In its (far too) short span, Ms. Ricker does some amazing work with establishing and developing her characters and world. Be prepared to finish it in one siting, regardless what your previous plans were. The only question remaining is: when can we get more?
Samantha Lisk
Allison Tebo
rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2017
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Jun 02, 2015 05:53PM
  • Golden Daughter (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #7)
  • Search for the Shadow Key (Dreamtreaders, #2)
  • Reapers (Reapers, #1)
  • The Seahorse Legacy (Eyes of E'veria #3)
  • Fortress of Mist (Merlin's Immortals, #2)
  • The Rose and the Briar (Faraway Castle, #3)
  • Oath of the Brotherhood (Song of Seare, #1)
  • The Hive
  • Fly Away Home
  • The End of All Things (The Kinsman Chronicles, #1c)
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy #1)
  • The Golden Vial (Legends of the Realm, #3)
  • The War of Words
  • The Traitor's Heir (The Knight of Eldaran #1)
  • Hostage Run (Mindwar, #2)
  • Merlin's Nightmare (The Merlin Spiral, #3)
  • Jupiter Winds (Jupiter Winds #1)
  • Defy the Night
Stephanie is the internationally bestselling author of A Cinder's Tale, published in the Five Glass Slippers anthology. The story continues in The Cendrillon Cycle, a series of novellas set in the same universe. Volume 1, The Battle of Castle Nebula , released in December of 2014, and The Star Bell launched in May of 2016.

Stephanie enjoys reading books and climbing trees (simultaneously, whenev