Start by marking “Sovereign: Transgression (Antius Ascending Series, #0.1)” as Want to Read:
Sovereign: Transgression (Antius Ascending Series, #0.1)

Sovereign: Transgression

(Antius Ascending Series 0.1)

There is nothing that can drive a man like the need to be acknowledged. There is nothing as dangerous as the desire to be appreciated, if not loved. There is nothing as complicated as family.

Before there was Antius, before there were mind-altering drugs, and before there was Corinne Cole, there was Nathan Burke and his colossal Transgression.

Transgression delivers the mus
Published August 15th 2014 (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Sovereign, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sovereign

Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
Since I loved Sovereign and The Offering, I knew I had to jump at the chance to read Transgression, the first in a series of short stories in the Sovereign series. I knew this would be from the point of view of a supporting character, and when I found out it would be none other than the villain, Nathan Burke, I had mixed feelings. Often, the story of the villain is an attempt to get the reader to feel sympathy with the villain, to connect with him on some level. This is not that story.

No, this
Cheer Papworth
FIVE STARS AND THEN SOME! I loved the Sovereign Series and all of the rich, complex characters, not just the main characters, but the supporting characters and even the ones you love to hate. I've been dying to know the backstory to some of the supporting characters, so I was so excited when I heard that author ER Arroyo was writing a trio of short stories to answer these burning character questions of mine. Transgression is the perfect companion to the Sovereign Series; it is the missing piece ...more
Marni
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As it states, this is a short story at 25 pages, but oh, does it pack a punch. I was breathless, eating up each page to see what was going to happen next. The reader learns a bit about Nathan, before the war. He's a jerk, but we get to see the side of him that is dying for his fathers attention. We learn how just by trying to make his father proud, he ends the world as we know it. We also get to see him try to make a wrong, right, while in the middle of a living hell.

In 25 pages, my emotions ran
booknerd_dork
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the short story, which I didn't know when I started reading and when I finished it after half an hour, I thought my app is not working or I downloaded half the book, lol. But got to know about it being short story.
I totally got hooked and I'm so looking forward to read the books in the series!!! It ended really early for me like five minutes,lol.
A must read!
Mary
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This short story from The Sovereign Series is an eye opener. It was interesting to get into the mind of a character to see how he ticks! If you loved The Sovereign and The Offering (Of course you did!), you will definitely enjoy this short story revealing the depths of a character you love to hate.
Fawn
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sovereign: Transgression

This story picks up momentum and zips downhill faster and faster. Then bam! You are left wanting more. This is a very tantalizing intro.
April Steenburgh
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
Earlier this year I had the privilege of reading Sovereign and The Offering, the two books that make up the Sovereign Series proper. Last month I was lucky enough to get to read Transgression, the prequel that promised to tell me just how everything happened. So I sat down, excited to get more background on the world, ready to cheer for familiar names, even as I prepared to boo and stomp for the usual suspects.

Oh wow was I not prepared for this one.

It takes a talented writer to turn a point of v
Kelly Hull
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was an interesting look at our antagonist from the other books. I finished it in about a half hour and I really like short stories because that's all I have time for these days.

Arroyo did a great job creating someone who I disliked, but also wanted to know more about. Burke is such an interesting person and I found myself wanting to know more about his dad too, both powerful in their own way, but one leading a light path, and the other dark. One of the most fascinating things about Nathan
Karen
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

I have read the first two books in the series & really enjoyed this short story.It gives you glimpses of some of the events & emotions of a few characters
in the time before antius.I can honestly say that this was a very well written story.If you have enjoyed the first two books then i highly recommend reading
this one.For me a great story always leaves me wishing I could read more about the characters.The Tran
Aret
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, through the eyes of Nathan Burke. Knowing where his personality comes from is great insight into the Sovereign series. It in no way changed my opinion of him, but it did allow me to know him better.

E.R. Arroyo is a fantastic writer. Her writing style is enjoyable to read and the way she details her characters and scenes makes you feel like you're a part of the story.

If you haven't read this series yet, get to it! You won't be disappointed!!
Jenna
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-favorites
This is a very short story ( I need more) about the day the world changed and Nathan.
Do I like Nathan no, I don't think I ever will but, but there's more to him then meets the eye.
A man that want desperately wants to be loved by his father, who want his father to be proud of him.

I can't wait to see who's story will be next.

I like the writers work, she has a way of making the characters work. Can't wait to read the next book.
Angie Taylor
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite of the Sovereign series. In just a few short pages, the amount of characterization put into Nathan, is so dang good, that it totally explains and gives insights to the other books that I didn't realize I wanted and needed to know. I loved it. It was so well written. I hope there's more to come.
Michelle McPherson
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sovereign: Transgression

I read this short story first, and I am glad that I did. It gives a look into a very important character in the upcoming books. This is a history lesson in the series that it's not immediately appreciated, but will be once you have read the first book.
Andrea: BookStoreFinds
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I so wish this novella was longer! finally we get to read more about Nathan and how he came to be the mean dude he is and its so short!

This novella was thoroughly enjoyable! I love E.R. Arroyo's writing!
Adam
Sara Benedict
Jul 30, 2014
rebecca
Jan 28, 2019
E.R. Arroyo is the author of YA dystopian series, Antius Ascending, and co-founder/owner of Band of Dystopian Authors and Fans, a Facebook community, blog, and company that champions dystopian, apocalyptic, and post-apocalyptic fiction. E.R. is passionate about books, music, and her family, and she loves to talk shop with other authors and with her readers.

Antius Ascending Series (2 books)
  • Sovereign (Antius Ascending Series, #1)
  • Sovereign: The Offering (Antius Ascending Series, #2)