Start by marking “NYC Basic Tips and Etiquette” as Want to Read:
NYC Basic Tips and Etiquette

NYC Basic Tips and Etiquette

Living in New York City for five years as a transplant from Ohio, illustrator and T-shirt designer Nathan Pyle was fascinated by the unique habits and unspoken customs New Yorkers follow to make life bearable in a city with 8 million people (and seemingly twice the number of tourists). Nathan decided to draw his favorite tips and etiquette lessons and post them on the inte ...more
Published May 20th 2014 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published October 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about NYC Basic Tips and Etiquette, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about NYC Basic Tips and Etiquette

Olivia
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick read and very informative for folks (like me) who despise looking like tourists. This also helps ease social anxiety hangups for me in a way I'm not having much luck articulating.

I noticed this is rather male-centric, thanks to a comment by Trey. Women "main characters" are included on some of the pages but usually for tips/etiquette that has to do with ones appearance. Women are often included in supporting roles on pages having to do with a man's attention or romantic life. Pyl
Imani
I won this book at my University and so I decided to read it.

NYC Basic Tips and Etiquette is what it says on the tin. Since I am not in New York and hopefully visiting New York City often this does help a lot.

Plus it helps that there are drawings to go along with these tips.

Extra: a lot of these tips and etiquette are things people should know, this does not only apply to New York City. -_-
Cora Pop
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nyc
Actually, this book was a very pleasant surprise. The illustrations are cute and to the point, and the advice right on. There's something addictive about it... couldn't put it down.
Maybe because I love New York City so much...
#120
Indeed some moments in New York are unpleasant.
#121
In these unpleasant moments, I find it's best to remember how amazing New York is.
Claire Gilligan
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Excellent! Read it in one sitting, mostly because I just couldn't put it down! Clearly written, cleverly illustrated. Pretty sure I'm buying this book for every NYC transplant in perpetuity. A+!
Leanna Criddle
Pure genius. Hilarious and heartfelt. Great for seasoned NYers and newbies alike
Selwa
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a perfect world, copies of this book would be handed to people as they came off the plane (or train, or bus, or whatever) in NY. It's common-sense stuff that, as the old folks say (am I old now?), isn't that common anymore. And yet, I can't tell you how many times I've tried to get off the train and there's a group of people crowding the door on the platform. People ... if you let me get off, you'll have that much more room!
Renee
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, fun book of tips about NYC. Notes about the way things work, etiquette advice, and a few random thoughts from the author (like the things he misses most about Ohio). The art is punchy and bold in black and white, and I like that the author/artist sometimes snuck in personal recommendations (like his favorite $1 slice of pizza). Like all books like this, I just wish it had been longer.
Marisa
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious comics imparting very honest advice relevant for all wandering the streets of New York, from the tourist to the freshly-moved-here to the seasoned city dweller.
Jeremy
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New Yorkers can be a little prickly about some of the things tourists do. Pyle's inner Midwesterner is too nice to let this creative graphic guide to our fair city degenerate into a mean rant, but he does a good job of explaining, for locals and visitors alike, why it is that seemingly innocuous behaviors can be really, really annoying in New York.
He balances these chastising moments with wondeful tips for visitors and New Yorkers, turning his book into a pointed but accessible guide to navigat
elizabeth
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun single-page drawings and tips that amount to 'you are not the center of the universe; other people exist' and 'behave as though someone is always walking behind you on the sidewalk; be aware of your surroundings'. Some NYC-specific info, but also a manual for how humans should behave in any city.
K
NYC : Basic Tips and Etiquette by Nathan W. Pyle is a delightful, charming and very funny guide explaining how New Yorkers make life easier for each other in a city of 8 million residents, and what can seem like an equal number of tourists. This would make a perfect welcome gift for anyone new to the city.

My companion picked this up at the New York City transit museum when we went to the museum. When she saw the page about removing all extraneous language from your sandwich order, she laughingl
Joel
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Small Quirky Coffee-table Book.

NYC Basic Tips and Etiquettes is a super fun, short comic book about life in New York City and how to navigate around it. It is useful to tourists and hilarious to locals, and is full of anecdotes of how amazing yet difficult the city can be.

I’ve wished many a time for a book to be shorter but very rarely for one to be longer. I spent 25 minutes on this book, believe it clearly falls in the latter category. I found myself wanting to read more funny stories about l
Frederic
There's some overlap in ideas here with Roz Chast's Going Into Town: A Love Letter to New York, giving examples of ways to effectively manage life in the city, and if I hadn't read that and other works of humor before this I probably would've rated it higher. The tips are apt and generally on point, and the art works well (although IMO not as well as in his Strange Planet).
michelle+8
I don't know why I read this, as I have never been to NYC and have no plans to go. I do like Nathan Pyle's Strange Planet comics, and this was available for free, so cool. And I guess I read so many comics set in New York that it was cool to have a little more context for imagining how people there think and interact. I have to assume the tips and etiquette are correct. The drawings were cute, and the tone was charming. But it really isn't the kind of thing you read just for fun, despite the fac ...more
Liz B
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pleasure to read--and I wish I had read it before my first adult trips to NYC. Now, I'd traveled to other cities before as an adult so I was already good at the basics of public transportation and staying out of the way--but still, this is full of good and simple tips for understanding the city and its residents.

Plus, it's funny!
Alyson
We visited NYC with our kids and this was in the rental home. Some of the tips were actually helpful and we still prompt our boys to be aware of others in public situations. We all (ages 10 to 50) read this book from cover to cover. We purchased a copy at a Museum gift shop and still pick it up and laugh.
Trey Piepmeier
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun and quick read. I'm going to dog-ear some pages for reference for my next visit to NYC. My only complaint is that sometimes the language/situations are a bit male/heteronormative to be a book for everybody.
Nessy
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick read that speaks truth. I definitely made some of these errors and will continue to make them, but at least I can laugh and commiserate with Nathan and his cartoon New Yorkers. Honestly, very helpful tips here!
Melanie
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a minute since I knew Nathan Pyle back in Ohio, but this set of observations and guidelines shows he's as creative and witty as ever. The subway tips are the most humorous and astute, but I also love the tricks for remembering routes, maps, and neighborhoods.
Dhwani
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun quick read, I really wish someone would make something similar for Mumbai! The fun little map tricks to remember where some landmarks and streets are were cute and helpful, I would have absolutely loved reading this before my first trip to the city.
Katy
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is weirdly far more informative than actually funny.
Ietrio
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relevant, thought
This is the first animated ebook I see. And it was fun.

And the advice seems applicable in any big city around the world.
Helen Guo
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
super fun book, full of insider jokes.
Farrah
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i learned that the Brooklyn Bridge is made of Brick
and the Manhattan Bridge is Made of Metal

Also, Harlem is the hat of the Central Park outfit...this guy's mnemonics were great!
Andy
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TIP #48
Awareness changes your destiny: While you were looking down at your phone, your soulmate just passed by.
Justin
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned

Beautifully illustrated, funny, and genuinely helpful. Must read for anyone spending time in NYC.
Liz
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having never been to New York City, this cartoon manual put some NYC stereotypes into perspective. I like Pyle's comics via Buzzfeed, and his book is no disappointment to his comic fans.
Abram Guerra
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick and entertaining MUST READ for anyone visiting NYC. Seriously, please read this before visiting, or I will find you and make fun of you.
Alex Gordon
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever, funny and accurate. Great illustrations.
James
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2016
A good primer on living in New York City. Feels like something they should hand out when you arrive.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Felines of New York: A Glimpse Into the Lives of New York's Feline Inhabitants
  • Fowl Language: The Struggle Is Real
  • This Book Will Change Your Life, Again
  • Off the Beaten Page: The Best Trips for Lit Lovers, Book Clubs, and Girls on Getaways
  • Fodor's New York City 2012
  • Not Funny Ha-Ha: A Handbook for Something Hard
  • Shop Cats of New York
  • I Feel Relatively Neutral About New York
  • The Wizard of Oz: The Official 75th Anniversary Companion
  • An Olympic Dream: The Story of Samia Yusuf Omar
  • On The Books: A Graphic Tale of Working Woes at NYC's Strand Bookstore
  • Know It All Great Inventions: The 50 Greatest Inventions, Each Explained in Under a Minute
  • The Curmudgeon's Guide to Practicing Law
  • Princess Mononoke: The First Story
  • Secret Marvels of the World: 360 Extraordinary Places You Never Knew Existed and Where to Find Them
  • A Horrible Experience of Unbearable Length: More Movies That Suck