Start by marking “Seven Soldiers of Victory, Volume 4” as Want to Read:
Seven Soldiers of Victory, Volume 4

Seven Soldiers of Victory, Volume 4

(Seven Soldiers of Victory #4)

The brilliant mind of Grant Morrison (Animal Man, Doom Patrol) is showcased once again as his most groundbreaking and ambitious project concludes! Independently, each of these characters is featured in a story arc that redefines his or her purpose in the DCU. But their stories also interweave with the other Soldiers' tales, forming a grander story of a devastating global ...more
Paperback, Trade, 224 pages
Published January 31st 2007 by RHUS (first published January 14th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Soldiers of Victory, Volume 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Soldiers of Victory, Volume 4

Start your review of Seven Soldiers of Victory, Volume 4
Sesana
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Maybe I should make a "damn it, Morrison" shelf. All too often, he starts with a highly ambitious concept, which starts well and ends in confusion. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan, I respect his love for comics past and that he pushes his writing, and I think he's more brilliant than not. And yet...

Here is (yet another) example of that tendency. The concept is very ambitious: take seven little-known DC characters of old (ok, six plus Zatanna) and give them each their own miniseries, done in
Sam Quixote
Apr 22, 2012 rated it liked it
This hugely inventive series comes to a close in this fourth and final volume, as the Seven Soldiers gather to defeat the evil Sheeda from obliterating the world.

Mr Miracle faces down Dark Side and his Anti-Life Equation with the help of Aurackles; Frankenstein travels to Mars to fight Melmoth, the husband of the Sheeda Queen Gloriana, before travelling through time to present day Earth and joining the fight; Bulleteer faces down the woman who had an affair with her husband, leading him down the
Joe Sergi
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
I have to say I'm usually not smart enough to read Grant Morrison. This series started out linear enough and was actually quite fun.

But, I have absolutely no idea how it ended--I wasn't smart enough and quite frankly, my personal view, is that a mainstream comic book shouldn't require that much work. (that's not saying that I don't like books where each time you read it, you appreciate it more (like Watchman) but my personal feeling is that you should also enjoy the first reading.)

This was
Cristhian
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wild ride!
Travis
Jan 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
An entertaining if uneven experiment. I like that Grant tried something different, but his attempts to blend an old school super hero epic with a lot of modern takes didn't always click. I give him credit for trying to revamp some second tier heroes, even when those attempts weren't too successful or involved fixing characters that didn't need fixing.
This volume contained:

Mr. Miracle: odd blend of hip-hop and philosophy that doesn't quite work. Plus, it's near impossible to improve on Jack
Jamie
Jul 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
It's sad to see this series go out with such an inconsistent volume. "Write what you know" is a cliche, but sometimes it's one writers must heed. Grant Morrison's take on hip-hop blaxploitation in "Mr. Miracle" is clumsy and containing nothing deeper than the surface sheen, and his ironic look at sexism in fast 21st century culture in "Bulleteer" isn't ironic enough to get by with all the cheescake. He's way out of his comfort zone, and it shows. It doesn't help that the art in those ...more
Jason
Damn you, Grant Morrison! I was following along just fine and then you throw that last issue at me and I have no idea what happened. I will confess that the stories of the three remaining soldiers (the bullet woman, Frankenstein, and Mister Miracle) were a lot less interesting to me than those of the first four and didn't seem to tie in as directly with the whole Sheeda overstory. I purchased the last volume because only the first three were in my library system and now I'm wondering if I'd have ...more
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
The finales to the last three series are all good, but the capstone 'Seven Soldiers of Victory' issue is amazing.
Dramatica Darmody
May 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
That wound up being confusing and ultimately rather boring at the end.
Michael
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: loeg-archives
Overall, I liked it. I was, frankly, somewhat underwhelmed by the experience, as I think I expected more from the individual miniseries than I got. I like how Morrison wove different supporting characters through the various miniseries, but I never quite felt any danger from the Sheeda. It became more an experiment in putting together a puzzle than a fun story.

I thought that the individual series were somewhat mixed - Guardian was terrific, as was Bulleteer. Zatanna - despite being a character I
Dubzor
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
This series was a very mixed bag, though it's difficult to say if its failings are strong enough to taint what good there is here. Regardless as to how the series as a whole fairs, this volume is nothing but a disappointment.

The whole idea for this grand journey was to bring seven forgotten characters to a new life with their own stories that all tied together for some greater undertaking. They were the super-team that would never meet, but somehow together would save the world. It's a great
Tony Laplume
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
And so the tale ends almost so that the ending doesn't even matter, such a paltry thing as victory ultimately unimportant for superheroes. How several of our champions replace the bad guys, how some merely find happiness in their own lives, how some merely move on...

Reading Grant Morrison will always risk being a bewildering experience, and I think Seven Soldiers was designed that way, a trip into a grand vision like no other superhero adventure, in some ways the same "culling of civilization"
Paan Chhaya
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this entire series. DC comics has a wonderful occult scene and it really shone in Morrison's hands -and he uses the full richness and history of the DCverse to tell this story, and does it well. There are also some awesome questions asked about the nature (state of mind) of being a costumed hero. I really loved the back-drop characters like The Whip, Gimmix, Mindgrabber and Sally Sonic. The Bulleteer was a welcome addition and I am personally sorry DC comics never did anything with this ...more
Dave
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
What was an interesting story ended with a confusing plop. Seemed like the story had to end NOW, so cram everything together and let's go home. More detail should have been given as these soldiers end their battle with the Sheeda.
Chris Hansen
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Well, you can't have it all. The overall on 4 volumes is a solid 4 stars but the last chapter had a feel to it that Morrison cares more about the individual series instead of wrapping up the tale as a whole. It just , sort of, ends. Still, the series is well worth your time.
Corey Timmins
May 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Confusing
Mark
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Morrison proves to be a master at plotting and writing cosmic stories. I am still confused by the ending.And, i suspect that is the point. Frankenstein monster as moral arbiter?
Austin
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Drug-Abusing Metatext Fans
Recommended to Austin by: Douglas Wolk
The four trade volumes that make up this story were originally put out as a 30 issue series, and in reprinting them the story is presented chronologically, in the order that it's suggested you should read them. But the brilliant thing about Seven Soldiers - and, to an extent, comics in general - is that you don't have to read them that way, and in fact, the series invites you to read the books in almost any order you'd like.

To elaborate: there are 7, four-issue stories that all interlock, and
Printable Tire
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Grant Morrison has once again shown himself to be a talented creator who blows his load at the last minute, showing him to be of the despicable "Lost" genre of mystery, setting up brilliant and interesting events and characters yet being unable to muster them for too long under his hocked spit of bullshit and so they fall like a deck of cars. He can be a great ride for the intermediate, but not someone upon which you should depend on for keen insights or satisfying conclusions.

This is the worst
Omri
Mar 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Now this is something that I had to write about: I've been reading the Seven Soldiers of Victory from beginning to end now (Yes, I know, I woke up a bit late regarding this title). It is a very ambitious attempt by Mr. Morrison, and it is not coming as a surprise, knowing how this talented writer operates. Considering the time it got published, DC needed a good boost for some minor characters, and like with the current (2012-13) Batman run - Morrison was the right guy at the right place.

BUT,
Dale
I find myself very appreciative of GoodReads right now, because when I finished reading this fourth volume of Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers saga I was left with conflicting feelings: enjoying what I had read but gripped with a nagging certainty that I was missing a lot of the connections between the pieces, because it had been a while since I read the three previous installments. I couldn't remember exactly how long it had been, but how convenient! That information is recorded in my personal ...more
Ceef
As I've sometimes found to be the case with Morrison's other works, I felt like he over-reached in his authorial ambition and, as a result, wasn't able to draw the disparate strands back together into a compelling conclusion.

Also, another major problem that I had with this particular experiment (i.e., the Seven Soldiers mini-series) was that it essentially consisted of seven seemingly unrelated four-issue mini-series, each focusing on a particular character. The issue is that my engagement with
Brad
Aug 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc, comics
I read the first three volumes of Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers a few months back and just now finished the last volume… I feel like I need to go back and re-read it all to make sense of it. I’m not fond of how it was collected—DC spliced all 7 miniseries, so you can’t get one complete story in any of them. As a result, I was kind of confused about Mr. Miracle’s backstory and supporting cast.
On the whole, the “first wave” of soldiers (Shining Knight, Klarion, Manhattan Guardian, Zatanna) was
Sophie
Jan 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I really enjoyed this series. I love how all the little pieces fit together - it's a cool story, and the characters are all likeable. In fact, I was surprised at how much I came to care about some of them in only four issues each. The plot is engaging, and some of the dialogue is really funny.

I think a lot of people have a problem with Grant Morrison's writing that's similar to my problem with Quentin Tarantino films. There's a self-awareness of the medium in each of their work, and that
Kat
May 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Basic Plot: Seven unlikely heroes are drawn together to defeat a new enemy to the DC universe: the Sheeda.

Each of 7 characters got a 4-issue miniseries as part of this run and had a unique part to play in the overall plot. While many readers may be familiar with the character Zatanna, she was probably the best known of the characters in the series. The series was also bookended with an introduction and conclusion issue. Overall, the art for the series was good and the stories were interesting.
Tom
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This series was very ambitious, although the ending fell flat for me. Mostly, the entire finale seemed rushed and jumbled. While Morrison's grasp of the DC universe is spectacular, since mine is not, it was easy to get lost. It seemed like there should be several more issues. While part of the point of the series was that the heroes would be independent, so as not to be an easily-targeted team of seven, the fact that the cross-over between the characters in the end was so scant made it confusing ...more
Fizzgig76
Reprints Seven Soldiers: Frankenstein #2-4, Seven Soldiers: Mister Miracle #3-4, Seven Soldiers: Bulleteer #3-4, and Seven Soldiers #1. The Seven Soldiers gather and prepare for their battle against the Sheeda. The Seven Soldiers project was interesting and the decision of having overlapping plots in multiple series did provide for an interesting re-write or tie in to the DC Universe. The ending however became a blur of action & art that doesn't feel like it entirely worked. Still good, ...more
JD Korejko
May 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-shelf
Well that was quite an experiment.
Yeah, it all ties together in the end. And some of it is brilliant, for sure. But I felt like I really had to WORK at reading this story, especially that last issue that ties it all together. I respect him trying something new, but it doesn't necesarily make for a great read. It might be something that I'll need to read again to fully appreciate it, but will I really WANT to? I dunno.

Eric Mikols
Aug 27, 2013 rated it liked it
I like the idea of this whole series; telling seven different stories in different genres but the execution was off. After seven four-part tales, the conclusion is less than stellar and the payoff weak. I would have preferred to see more interaction between these characters, not less. While I enjoyed most of these, the Mister Miracle tale was boring as can be. Interesting, but not a complete success.
Jdetrick
The series that end in this trade tend to be some of the strongest and I was beginning to think that the ending might make some of the worse aspects of the previous trades worthwhile. Sadly though, the final issue here is just a mess, trying to do way too much and without the space to pull it off. There are some great ideas in these four trades, but I don't think they ever gel into a satisfying storyline.

• 52, Vol. 4
  • Star Trek/Green Lantern: The Spectrum War
  • Zatanna by Paul Dini
  • 52, Vol. 2
  • Jack Kirby's The Demon
  • Mister Miracle
  • Batman: Damned
  • Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young (Runaways, #3)
  • He-Man/Thundercats
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 1: Or is he Both?
  • Capital Crimes (Will Lee, #6)
  • Batman, Volume 10: Knightmares
  • Resolved (Butch Karp, #15)
  • My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies
  • Justice League/Aquaman: Drowned Earth
  • Batman: Son of the Demon
  • Heroes in Crisis
  • Booster Gold, Vol. 2: Blue and Gold
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial, ...more

Seven Soldiers of Victory (4 books)
  • Seven Soldiers of Victory, Volume 1