Start by marking “The Gospel of the Second Coming” as Want to Read:
The Gospel of the Second Coming

The Gospel of the Second Coming

In 2005, a disgruntled archivist at the Vatican Library made contact with revisionist historians Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy, claiming that the Vatican was secretly housing a number of unpublished “heretical” Gnostic Christian texts. He presented Freke and Gandy with a facsimile copy of an ancient manuscript, which is presented to the public for the first time in this bo ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Hay House

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel of the Second Coming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel of the Second Coming

Keith
Feb 07, 2012 Keith rated it did not like it
Perhaps I need to read more of Freke and Gandy's commentaries on Gnosticism to get a fuller picture of their philosophies, but this book didn't impress me. I felt like Freke and Gandy's understanding of Gnostic literature and its historical context were elementary at best. The continued reference to Mary of Magdala as a penitent prostitute showed a somewhat juvenile understanding of a topic that has been resolved for quite some time. There is no evidence that Mary Magdalene and the prostitute na ...more
Paul Finch
Oct 26, 2007 Paul Finch rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all readers, especially those into enlightenment, gnostic or Christian thought
I love these guys-- I guess this is the 4th book in their Jesus Series(Jesus Mysteries, Jesus and the Lost Goddess, the Laughing Jesus came before)--which I also thoroughly enjoyed, but I found this to be more like their last and best book, Lucid Living, which is one of my favorites, another one-sitting reading experience that will get you to dig enlightment, Jesus, etc. Although I don't know if I agree with their argument that getting gnosis brings unconditional love (maybe that's just proof th ...more
Reiden
Apr 03, 2011 Reiden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gnosticism
I listened to the audio book - thought it was hilarious!! Although I don't know if the humor would mean as much for people who don’t already have some familiarity with the New Testament.
In this book, the character Jesus, dialogues primarily with Peter, Mary, Paul, and a few others. He pretty much tells them that we’ve interpreted everything wrong. Jesus says that his own story was taken straight from ancient myths and was wrongly transformed into the massive religion it is today. There’s a good
Zuicy
May 01, 2010 Zuicy rated it it was amazing
Wow. This is one that will shift your world view. Made me hungry to read the research behind this one - so I went and got the 2 previous books by Freke & Gandy. It's a story about the second coming of Christ, a witty satire based on the research on the original Gnostic Christians.
Charuga
Jun 28, 2008 Charuga rated it it was amazing
Eric
Great book. If you can look at the world in a satirical way and learn to listed to what is historical truth rather than to your own conditioned belief, than this book will help open up a new world of thought to you.
Harrison
Jul 27, 2011 Harrison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
As the back of the book says, irreverently serious and profoundly satirical! The last chapters are a bit of letdown, but the rest is first class stuff. "Jesus is back, and this time he's funny."
Steve
Jun 15, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing
Compelling!
wueasa
Nov 18, 2007 wueasa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
read a little of this book in sussex stationers in brighton. seemed quite interesting.
Lynne - The Book Squirrel
I have never laughed so much whilst reading a book. This was really quite amazingly funny! A great read!
Susan Janke
Jan 12, 2013 Susan Janke rated it really liked it
If only I could get inside the Vatican archive...
C Van
Mar 10, 2012 C Van rated it liked it
Re-informative.
Ben Chalmers
Ben Chalmers rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2014
Jason Marcus
Jason Marcus rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2015
2lindamar
2lindamar rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2013
James
James rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2012
R Madison
R Madison rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2012
Charles
Charles rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2014
Alex Dabell
Alex Dabell rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2013
Ken
Ken rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Jun 10, 2012
Estelle B.
Estelle B. rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2012
Lianne
Lianne rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2013
Kristian Glass
Kristian Glass rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2011
Estelliane
Estelliane rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2014
James Roche
James Roche rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2014
John Widener
John Widener rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Bruce
Bruce rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2008
Tom
Tom rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Timothy Freke has an honors degree in philosophy and is the author of more than twenty books on world spirituality. He lectures and runs experiential seminars throughout the world exploring gnosis. For information, see timothyfreke.com. Both Freke and Gandy live in England and are the authors of five previous books, including The Jesus Mysteries and Jesus and the Lost Goddess.
More about Tim Freke...