Start by marking “Mail-Order Bride” as Want to Read:
Mail-Order Bride

Mail-Order Bride

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  792 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
A POTENT ELIXIR

Caroline Myers had been eighteen when she'd discovered how potent her great-grandfather's recipe for "tea" was. So, when her two maiden aunts suggested a vacation to Alaska, Caroline was certain they'd overindulged in the family brew. Why go now - especially after she'd just been jilted by her erstwhile fiance?

But Caroline didn't know that her well-meaning r
Paperback
Published May 29th 2014 by Harlequin (first published October 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Mail-Order Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mail-Order Bride

Jacqueline
A quick fun read. Fairly unrealistic but not too out there to impair my enjoyment. Their feelings developed very fast, especially on the part of the hero who was in love within 2 or 3 days. I liked the stuff about the native people of Alaska. It was a little glimpse into what their lives were like. This book would really have been much better with about 100 more pages.
Lynne Spreen
Jul 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Debbie Macomber's books. I read all of the Cedar Cove series as well as her latest, The Girls' Guide to Moving On, which I rated highly. However, Mail Order Bride is awful. I kept thinking it was a very early effort, from when she was a less-skillful author, and maybe she dug out the manuscript, dusted it off, and published it anew. The main character is a histrionic woman with not much brainpower, and the male lead is creepy. But this is the worst: I kept imagining a woman being kidnapp ...more
Julianne
Jan 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ya' gotta love Debbie Macomber! This book was written in 1987, but re-issued recently as part of Small Town Christmas, a double book which includes this story and one other.

Caroline's two elderly aunts like to indulge in their father's special "tea". One day as they were a bit tipsy from the "tea", they got to worrying about Caroline, and cooked up a scheme "to make her happy". Their idea of happiness may differ from hers, but no matter. So they tricked her into taking an autumn vacation to Ala
patricia
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tricked by her aunts Caroline thinks she is going to Alaska for a vacation. Little does she know she is to be a Mail Order Bride (thus the title). Drinking her aunts special tea on the flight to Gold River Caroline is rather tipsy and doesn't realized she married Paul. Their initial days have Caroline wanting to leave. There are ups and downs in this relationship. Debbie Macomber writes a story of developing love in the frozen north.
Janice Aitkens
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this on the Kindle

This was a story about Caroline who had been left at the altar or just before her Gt Aunts without her knowing write to an ad for a Mail Order Bride in Alaska in which she believes she going on the trip which her aunts have sent her on on arrival she lands up getting married without realising it
It a nice story & i enjoyed
S.J.
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very quick pace, i fell in love with the main characters, did fine that by the end of the book i wanted more, so felt it ended too soon.
Cruth
Author: Debbie Macomber
First published: 1987
Length: 2339 kindle locations
Setting: Contemporary. Alaska
Hero: Does something in Alaska
Heroine: Nurse

Some interesting plot twists but overall it’s Stockholm Syndrome. She’s married while drugged. Kept isolated in a small town. Harassed. Further isolated. And he leaves her there to face a horrific situation alone because he can’t/won’t trust her. Weird huh?

1.5 stars rounded down.

(SBN 9781941824108)

-CR-
Alexia
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Mail - Order Bride" by Debbie Macomber is a wonderful, classic romance in a modern setting. I actually read the book that was the re-release copy but I'm so glad that I did. I absolutely love the books that Ms. Macomber writes. We meet two busy body Aunties who love their brokenhearted niece. They answer an ad for Caroline Mayers to be a mail order bride to Paul Trevor in Gold River, Alaska. Sending her off with some of their 'special' tea (it's got alcohol in it) Caroline is unaware of what sh ...more
Debbie Heaton
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Macomber’s romance novel, Caroline Myers has been dumped by her fiancé. Her well-meaning aunts plan a trip to the Alaskan wilderness supposedly to help Caroline cheer up and move on. But to Caroline’s surprise, her family targeted Alaska after reading an article stating that Paul Trevor, of Alaska, was looking for a bride. Caroline might have been upset over the scheme, but when she looks Paul in the eyes the surrounding snow melted.

With the stunning background of Alaska, Macomber has once ag
Robin
Caroline Myers is depressed after being left at the alter by her fiance. So her matchmaking aunts decide to secretly answer an ad for a mail-order bride on her behalf. A few short weeks later, her aunts decide to send her on a "vacation" to Alaska, where she will meet her "guide", Paul Trevor. Not knowing what she is getting into and drinking a thermos of her aunt's home-brewed "tea", Caroline soon finds herself very drunk and very married to Paul.

Cute story, if unbelievable premise. My rating:
Santina Young
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Change of Scene

Refreshingly, we are invited to Alaska. Quite unlike most of her other books, this one takes place in a small town in Alaska. We are drawn into the Alaskan life as well as into the unfolding story of a mail-order bride. The series of ups and downs, finally, bring us to a happy conclusion. Great characters and well written.
Yekaterina
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
After a terrible break up and some moping, Caroline is given a trip to Alaska- paid for by her aunts. Caroline goes and finds herself in the middle if a ceremony. Upon waking up the next morning, she learns she's married to Paul Trevor.
The story of Caroline and Paul is old-fashioned and cute. I enjoyed its unique plot and characters, also setting. I think it's one of my top Debbie M books.
Patricia Daniels
Typical Debbie. Happily ever after. Light but very enjoyable.

Typical Debbie. Happily ever after. Light but very enjoyable. I look forward to reading the other Unabomber books I purchased.
Lizzie b
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It starts off really good, good premise, she's an unsuspecting mail order bride. She thinks sh's going on holiday.
But I disliked the hero, he is unyielding and even at the end he should have grovelled more.
Pat Jender
My least favorite macomber book ever

The plot was totally predictable. The characters were completely childish and broke down because they found out their spouse had a previous boyfriend/girlfriend?
David J. Belliveau
Excellent

I gave this book a five star rating because it was the highest level I could give it. I think the author is a extremely talented person. She makes reading enjoyable. I would recommend it to anyone.
Cassie ♥
4 1/2 Stars!
I may have read this one many years ago. I re-read it this evening in a couple of hours. It's now been re-issued. I think it was as good in 2012 as it was in the 80's. That's saying something!!
Alice
May 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Storyline was a little weak, but fast, enjoyable read.
Sam
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: debbie-macomber
This lacks development and is not believable for a story written for our current time. Disappointing.
Dorothy
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always Macomber books are a joy to read. I read this in one day.
Nancy
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part of combo book. 3.5 stars. A bit silly.
Mary
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. A little different then most mail order brides that I've read but very good!
Elizabeth
Dec 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really?
Mandy Dake
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Reading this book out of Small Town Christmas. It was cute and a quick 2 hour read, but it all felt too rushed.
Deidre
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this - it is a short read and one of her older books - but new to me =) it reminds me of her Midnight Sons books that I really loved.
Tina
May 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, solid romance story. Would recommend.
Karen
quick read... interesting
Rose Mary S Wood
Picturesque Alaska

An old fashioned romance, stubborn, determined players, wilderness adventure all play a part in this easy quick read that will keep you turning pages.
Kristen
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great light easy read!
Reeds
This is one of her early works so there are parts that stretch too far. It wouldn't be a re-read for me.
I'd like to see what she could do with it now with her current experience.
  • His Holiday Heart (The McKaslin Clan: Series 3, #8)
  • The Christmas Witness (The Morgan Brothers #3)
  • High-Stakes Holiday Reunion (The Security Experts, #3)
  • A Dry Creek Christmas (Dry Creek, #7)
  • The Cowboy's Christmas Courtship (Cooper Creek, #6)
  • A Christmas to Remember
  • The Spirit of Christmas
  • Forever After
  • The Bachelor Prince
  • That Wild Cowboy
  • A Snowglobe Christmas: Yuletide Homecoming\A Family's Christmas Wish
  • Sacrifice of Passion
  • One True Love (Belles of Timber Creek #3)
  • A Christmas for Katie (Families of Honor #3.5)
  • Sex, Lies & Hot Tubs
  • After I Do
  • The Christmas Cookie Chronicles: Christine
  • Whispers from the Heart
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 1,000 weeks on the New York Time ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...