Start by marking “Jesus and the Lost Goddess: The Secret Teachings of the Original Christians” as Want to Read:
Jesus and the Lost Goddess: The Secret Teachings of the Original Christians

Jesus and the Lost Goddess: The Secret Teachings of the Original Christians

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  720 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Why Were the Teachings of the Original Christians Brutally Suppressed by the Roman Church?

• Because they portray Jesus and Mary Magdalene as mythic figures based on the Pagan Godman and Goddess
• Because they show that the gospel story is a spiritual allegory encapsulating a profound philosophy that leads to mythical enlightenment
• Because they have the power to turn the wo
Published October 22nd 2002 by Harmony (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Jesus and the Lost Goddess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jesus and the Lost Goddess

Tim
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy, theology
I picked this book up on a whim at Half-Price Books. I didn't really know what I was getting into, but it ended up being a really great read.

I thought it might be an interesting perspective on feminism in early Christianity, but within the first few chapters the author lays this bomb that was the foundation for the rest of the book...Jesus was never a real person. The gospels are part of a Christian myth cycle that is a strange union of ancient Pagan mythology and Jewish mystic traditions. Thes
Tahni
Nov 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
When I was thirteen and ready to leave Christianity but didn’t yet have the guts to go balls to wall about it, I bought this book. I very quickly discovered that I did not have the vocabulary to read it but I kept it around and, somehow, it managed to stick around my various bookshelves for the next thirteen years.

Today I am a practicing pagan and lover of scholarship. When I found this book in with a collection of books I’d packed up and marked as “to read” I knew it would no longer be pertinen
Andrew
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christianity
The message of the book is interesting, but the way it says it comes up short. Essentially, the book suggests that original Christianity was a gnostic religion. Gnostic is defined as 'experiential knowledge of truth', which sounded like a very Buddhist concept to me when I heard it. A chapter later, the authors confirmed my suspicion when they pointed out that a gnostic component runs through all the major world religions. Whereas Buddhism or Hinduism have largely maintained their gnostic focus, ...more
Kevin
Aug 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone philosophically minded who isn't afraid to explore new ideas on religion and Christianity
What can I say about this book that won't be considered self incriminating by conservative Christians? Basically, this book brings back the Philosophical perceptions that I have for stories that I think is needed to evaluate truth, not only in Christianity, but in all religions. There is even an appendix on Gnostic Islam.

Wow, I won't try to summarize this book. An individual really needs to read this for themselves. From my view, it changed my outlook on life for the better. This is no small ta
Kristi Duarte
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
It's never good when a book makes you mumble out loud, "This is bullsh*t". The authors try to make the case that the Jesus story was inspired by pagan myths and influenced by gnostics. Are there similarities between the gnostic beliefs and the New Testament? Sure, just like any religions in the world have similarities, or stem from the same root. But the similarities are few and far between. It felt like the authors were trying to force their conclusions to prove the links, but the conclusions a ...more
Lyndsey
Mar 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read part two before reading part one (the Jesus Mysteries) however, understand that the two books aim to put the Jesus story in the context of ancient (western) philosophy and the psychology of (western) mythologists without undermining the ultimate message of chritianity this book.

JATG stands on its own, and basically sets to prove the gnostic belief - if Jesus shows the way, the female principle (Magdalene) is the path.

The authors seem a bit defensive which isn't necessay for the audie
Lianne
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book, along with The Jesus Mysteries and The Book of One are the three books that changed my entire worldview. So profound and thought provoking. My sense of self and my sense of Self is forever changed and I'm so glad of it! The Jesus Mysteries is like the true history of Christianity and Jesus and the Lost Goddess is like the true meaning of Christianity. I'm not a Christian (except by name) but this is a Christianity I could believe in.
Charuga
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
This one is a thought provoking. I read the gospel of the second coming first then went back to read the background research. Much of the information resonates for me. Many of the contradictory dogma that current Christianity teaches is explained here. I have a pencil with me when I read, for making comments in the margins. : ) A definite read for those who are disillusioned with the current Christian dogma.
Aug 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: agnostics, seekers, and those who aren't sure the Bible should be taken literally
Recommended to Sarah by: Aaron
Well, this book basically changed my religious beliefs, so it's certainly powerful. I hadn't read a book extrapolating the Gnostic gospels before, so I can't give the book itself all the credit. Also, some of the passages are slow-going, and it's definitely one you want to annotate. But ultimately a very satisfying and well-researched interpretation of ancient texts, and full of spiritual wisdom. It confirmed and fleshed-out a lot of my spiritual inklings, and gave them a historical basis.
Joan Porte
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book needs to decide what it wants to be when he grows up. The title suggests that it is about the loss of the sacred feminine to Christianity, however, it is a retracing of Christianity taking Greek and other Pagan ideas and incorporating it into its practice. Well no kidding. Nothing new here and rather disjointed.
Mik Hamilton, D.C.
Jul 02, 2010 rated it liked it
I gave them two stars for the research that went into the book. I would have given them much higher because it was well organized and written but they left no room whatsoever for the possibility that Jesus was an actual person as if they had proven it when, in fact, they did not. With the exception of that, the history was fascinating.
Michele
Apr 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Though I certainly don't know if I agree 100% with what he states about who god is and what true spirituality is, what he says about the "Bible" and where it came from and why it was written, absolutely resonates as truth to me. It just makes so much sense. So, much more sense the than the confusion that I get from people trying to explain the "literalness" of the stories of the "Bible."
Victor Smith
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just completed a reread of this excellent work, having first read it back in 2004. Despite being quite literate in Gnosticism and having written a couple of novels that included of its concepts, this book by Freke and Gandy read like a brand new adventure. The best presentation of Gnosticism as a valid spiritual practice—what valid Christianity ought to be and perhaps was—that I’ve come across perhaps ever. The more background the reader has the better, and it requires focus, but very readable a ...more
Christopher Miller
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Page 57: Was there an 'historical' Jesus? The evidence suggests there was not. But to us this emotive issue is really not important. What is important is to realize that the Jesus we relate to in our imagination is a mythical 'archetype' through which we can reach the 'Christ Consciousness' within ourslves, because if we are unable to get enough distance from our own fantasies and opinions to see that our picture of Jesus is an imaginative construct, we will never have the self-knowledge necessa ...more
Simon Watson
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is brilliantly written about the sacred group of individuals known as the Gnostics. Gnosticism started as something small and grew throughout the ancient world. The book talks about a Feminine Goddess like figure in the original teachings of Christianity, it also goes deeper into true roots of Christianity, esoteric teachings that are so far from today's current teachings. This book talks about the level of understandings through the Christian Myth, The Hylic Initiate beginner, The Sou ...more
jcg
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Textbook approach to spirituality. It talks about spiritual concepts without leading to spritual experience.

Basically, the outlook is neo-platonist, God is The Good, or the One. The authors don't take a critical approach to neo-platonism; they seem blind to the flaws and limitations of neo-platonist philosophy. While Sophia or Wisdom - and the female in general - plays an important part in Gnostic Christian thought, the authors do not make a convincing case that the feminine was the "lost goddes
Nancyandralphknudkin
Mar 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Extends "the Jesus Mysteries" discussion. What ever happened to Christianity? How did we get the form of it we are now all dealing with? What was the real story of human thought about "Jesus" during the times he was suppossedly alive and afterwards? Why does it make a difference? This book is a wonderfully radical exploration of how the original ideas got selected, simplified, co-opted and used for purposes of governance, control and social control; while original and alternative ideas were prog ...more
Steve
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! My wife and I have wondered what went wrong with Christianity, and if it would ever be possible to read a bible that had not been changed. We knew the original story had to be good enough to change the world. This book fills in the gaps with the exposition of the gnostic basis and the subsequent literalist assimilation. And the exposition of the gnostic pagan, Jew, and Islamic cults really added some much needed history for me. This made the top ten in my book list!
Elizabeth
Sep 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
I know 'Freke' is an unfortunate last name for a writer...but aside from that, this is a certain remedy for me, as I grew up within the most literal brand of Protestantism...this book got me in touch with the universality of the Jesus story and its connections with almost every ancient mystical tradition.
Grey Baroness
Sep 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Quite heavy going in comparison to 'The Jesus Mysteries', but thought provoking and intriguing. It might help to read an introduction to classical Greek philosophy first, but the copious footnotes just about kept me up to speed!
Worth a read, but expect to have your ideas, beliefs and philosophical concepts challenged and exercised.
Mike
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book puts a Gnostic spin on the events portrayed in the New Testament as well as other early Christian literature. So repetivite, abstract, and full of conjecture that I almost gave up on it, but the premise, that Christ is a symbol of universal consciousness and that each individual is a fragment of that consciousness, was just provocative enough to get me through the tediousness.
Lisa
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked the way this book got me thinking & wondering & questioning (& cursing). Timothy Freke knows his stuff & has a strong opinion about it. This is not for orthodox christians, you may be offended if you do not have an open mind & are not stable in your own beliefs. You think you know, & then you read this book.....
Chris Marchan
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Jake for getting me this book while I was in India and living in the quiet shadows of the Himalayas. What revelations in regard to the real core of Christianity!!! Makes sense the scriptures. Goes along great with "The Gnostic Gospels" and "The Gospel of Thomas".
Lelisia
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this several years ago, and recall that it made a lasting impression upon me. It inspired me to delve ever deeper into Early Christian history and into ancient paganism. It is time for me to read it again.
Martin Gatt
well researched!
Susan Janke
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read. I am not certain I believe everything he says, but when it is all said and done, it doesn't really matter - there is still a lot of interesting, substantiated information here.
Kip
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it

not as easy a read as the first one, and it seems like they are selling this idea like a vegetable peeler or something. which is a pity because its an interesting idea
Cicely
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
One of many books that filled in the question gap for me and to the ideas behind Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code.
Tink
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
breath taking... fun... and mega wow!
Sally
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Tells how Gnostic Christianity and its teachings were supressed and destroyed by the dogmatic sect of Christians that grew into the Catholic Church; explains the gnostic teachings.
  • Inner Christianity: A Guide to the Esoteric Tradition
  • The Lost Gospel: The Book of Q and Christian Origins
  • Gnosticism: New Light on the Ancient Tradition of Inner Knowing
  • The Gnostic Bible
  • The Gospel of Mary of Magdala: Jesus and the First Woman Apostle
  • The Secrets of Judas: The Story of the Misunderstood Disciple & His Lost Gospel
  • The Mystic Heart: Discovering a Universal Spirituality in the World's Religions
  • The Lost Gospel of Judas Iscariot: A New Look at Betrayer and Betrayed
  • The Gnostic Paul: Gnostic Exegesis of the Pauline Letters
  • The Woman with the Alabaster Jar: Mary Magdalen and the Holy Grail
  • The Gospel of Mary Magdalene
  • The Lost Books of the Bible
  • Omens of the Millennium: The Gnosis of Angels, Dreams & Resurrection
  • The Gospel of Thomas: The Hidden Sayings of Jesus
  • The Gospels of Mary: The Secret Tradition of Mary Magdalene, the Companion of Jesus
  • The Witches' God
Timothy Freke has an honors degree in philosophy and is the author of more than twenty books on world spirituality. He lectures and runs experiential seminars throughout the world exploring gnosis. For information, see timothyfreke.com. Both Freke and Gandy live in England and are the authors of five previous books, including The Jesus Mysteries and Jesus and the Lost Goddess.
More about Tim Freke...

“CHAPTER 1. THE GOSPEL OF GNOSIS   I will reveal to you what no eye can see, what no ear can hear, what no hand can touch, what cannot be conceived by the human mind. Jesus, The Gospel of Thomas” 0 likes