Start by marking “Carte Blanche” as Want to Read:
Carte Blanche

Carte Blanche

Dear Author,
I’ve never needed anyone. People are a vulnerability I don’t need or want. But then there was him. I couldn’t get him out of my head, he was a distraction I didn’t need. No matter how much I pushed him away, he kept coming back. One kiss and I know I’ll never let him go.

Photo Description:
Close-up of two men, both in monochromatic blues and high-contrast lighti
Published June 1st 2014 by M/M Romance Group @ goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Carte Blanche, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carte Blanche

SheReadsALot
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: You, if you're reading this.

Apparently I was thirsty and I didn't even know it.

My first thought once reading this story today in the first 10%: Refreshing.

*gulps*

Still sticks.

I do love to read about it ALL. Every damn thing. Gimme gimme more words such is a true bookworm's read-hungry soul. I love the loud, smutty books and I love the serious, quiet ones with the same amount of joy. I crave the quiet so much. Especially when it forces me to focus, listen, be patient, wait for the magic to unfold on its own time.

"Carte Blan
☆ Todd
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: freebie, mine

Loved, loved, LOVED this short *FREE* story.

Jude's severe OCD forces him to bleach and scrub his *entire* apartment, multiple times *daily*, when his well-ordered existence tips even slightly away from the norm.

So when Jude's quiet, elderly neighbor across the hall moves away and is replaced by an extremely attractive and persistent young man, Devin, with designs on becoming his friend (and possibly more), Jude's entire world is thrown into shambles. Also *daily*.

This book was all about slowl
Rosa, really
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Weepers and the people who love them.

Update 6/4/14: I finally remembered #3. (And no that's not some weird poop thing. Ew. Anyway.)

Three things occurred to me while reading this book -- no, four. Yeah, four.

One - I've only read A Different Dance by the author. While I liked it -- it was very cute & sweet -- I am highly impressed by how much Nash Summer's writing has improved. This story definitely has a depth, maybe because of the subject matter, that was lacking in the other book. (Not to criticize, Dance is definitely meant t
Exina
Carte Blanche is such a wonderful story!

It is the love story of Jude and Devin.

Jude has severe OCD and social anxiety disorder. His disability is presented in a very shocking and heartbreaking way. Through Jude’s narration, it feels even closer.

He works from home, never leaves his apartment, and has a strict routine. But when a new neighbor moves next to him, his routine gets interrupted, causing stress and weirdly also some delight in his life.
Somehow, I couldn’t help but smile at him. Devi
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

Perfection wrapped in 50 slightly heartbreaking, gorgeously written pages.

Jude, one of the MCs in this short, has severe social anxiety and OCD, and the ticks and mental anguish described are spot on. Perhaps Jude's rode to recovery and his mom's change of heart were a little too easy, but that's called literary license; this isn't a psychology manual.

There was so much sweetness and tenderness in the story. Jude was like a little lost puppy, and Devin, oh, Devin. GAH! I'm so glad Jude
Karla
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Karla by: Elsa Bravante
4.25 stars!

Photo description: Photo description: a close-up of two men, both in monochromatic blues and highs-contrast lighting. The man in the left is showing his left side profile with his eyes closed, pressing his forehead to the other man's cheek. The man in the right is looking toward the viewer with striking blue eyes.

"Carte Blanche" was another wonderful story in the "love's landscape" event by m/m romance group.

Jude, has severe OCD and social anxiety he doesn't leave his apt at all. Dev
Mandy*reads obsessively*
This is the first LL story I've read and it was a great start.
Jude has OCD, it's debilitating and keeps him house bound, but his new neighbor Devin might just help change that.
It's a sweet and touching story, and I loved that Jude had encouragement but took the initiative and steps on his own, to try and change his life.
Ami
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nash Summers came to my peripheral when I read her short story, A Different Dance, and loving it. Also some of my friends seem to be championing her. I took notice of her announcing the cover for this Love Landscape's story by way of friend's liking her update. So, when it turned out that her story was one of the firsts being posted, well, I jumped in and read it.

It was good. It was REALLY good. I have always been prone to stories where the characters have flaws. In here, Jude (Hey, Jude) suffer
Vivian
Tender-hearted metamorphosis.

A condensed tale of Jude's journey to take back his life with a lot of encouragement from his new neighbor, Devin. A bit traumatic watching and empathizing with Jude and smiling and wishing more people could be like Devin. Not realistic, but it sure does make you feel good, hopeful.

Favorite quote:
He seemed to make the world around him a little brighter, even if I didn’t necessarily mind living in the dark
Barbara➰
Well, this was a nice read to start off the new year.

Jude suffers from severe OCD and social anxiety. He's resigned himself to living in his stark white apartment and never visiting the places he dreams about as he plans trips for others through his online travel job. Devin is the hot new neighbor across the hall who won't let Jude just "be".

This was so sweet and perfect in almost every way. I loved how Devin researched Jude's disorders and pushed him out of his comfort zone to help him heal. J
wesley

There is always a noticeable sadness surrounding Nash Summer's books but it's a sadness that is not foreign -- one you can connect easily with, one you've certainly felt even just once in your life. And it's this simple understanding that make her stories so poignantly real.

Her characters most of the time are polar opposites but they're equally beautiful. Most often they are broken, like Jude, but Nash Summers doesn't dwell in their brokenness or make them pitiable. She makes you see the beauty

Catherine
The story hooked me in the first paragraph and kept me in its thrall until the very last. It was beautiful and touching and made my heart ache in ways both good and bad.

Devin and Jude were both fantastic, layered characters and their chemistry together - even with a hallway separating them for most of the story - was friggin' electric.

This story gets all of the stars. ALL OF THEM. ★★★★★
Sheziss
This is not a plot I'm used to find but it sort of reminded me a lot of the Ten Count series, so the novelty was lost on me.

I wanted to read this because it's Nash Summers, but in fact it didn't touch me the way fawn did. Not even close. This is a light read instead, the fragile fearful guy who lives in his apartment, and the new confident neighbor who falls for him for apparently no reason whatsoever, and goes through all the 'baggage' this person has... well, the idea is kind of romantic, but
Nic
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This year I want to spend more time reading the Don't Read In the Closet Love's Landscapes books and a little less time writing a review so aiming for VERY short and sweet...

This was a lovely story. I really felt the struggle that Jude lived with each day. There is a risk with a story like this that the disorder can overtake the character but not so in this case. I sympathised with Jude and really liked him as a character. There was nice pace to the development of his relationship with Devin. De
Lisa Henry
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up to 4 for the clear, concise writing.

Another great entry in the Loves Landscapes event.

An incredibly sweet, slow-burn love story about a guy with OCD, and the neighbour who challenges him to explore the world again.

It addresses the prompt perfectly.

***

Disclaimer - all my reviews for the Loves Landscapes event are going to be short. Because there are a gazillion stories to read for free this month!
Justin
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK SO HARD!!!

I loved every word! (view spoiler) Jude was so adorable. He could have been a whiny bitch, given his disorder, but instead he was brave and courageous.

Devin. OMG, Devin! That man was a saint. Everyone should have a Devin. Mine will show up soon, I certain.

Nash, you are a beautiful person and that shows in your writing. Thank you for sharing your time and talent with the MM Romance Grou
Elena
4.5 stars rounded up.

It's my second read by Nash Summers, and this one also a free DRitC short. I read fawn first and fell in love with the Author's beautiful, poetic style.

Carte Blanche was totally different and very much alike at the same time.
The style was still beautiful and captivating and I wanted to luxuriate in this story as much as I could, but...

The biggest advantage of this short is, IMHO, also its biggest drawback. And I'm talking about the fact that it was written for DRitC event an
Melanie A.
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melanie by: Damjana
Shelves: kobo, m-m, lgbtq
4 very solid stars!
My fear of everything and everyone kept me in this small, dark bubble of life.
Damjana knows what she's talking about! :-)

This short story was packed with emotion. To me, it almost had a fairy tale vibe to it; very romantic, very sweet with a strong (though possibly improbable) premise holding it all together.

Definitely worth checking out!
Lilia Ford
This was beautifully written, and I found the portrayal of OCD related illness very believable and intense. I love healing stories, and watching Jude tackle the many limits he'd placed on his life was very satisfying. I was less inspired by Devin, whom I found to be overly wishful--he felt like an embodiment of Jude's healing rather than a person with independent motives.

Overall: great addition to the Love's Landscape event, and an author I will definitely return to.
Vanessa North
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is sweet, with a steady slow burn. Lovely story.
Nina
In as few words as possible (keeping in mind I'm logorrheic), this is the story of a young man tormented by OCD and anxiety in possession of both a selfish bitch of a mother and a new neighbour who's the classic deadly combo of gorgeous-and-kind. Somewhere in these 57 pages, he starts coming out of his apartment shell and becoming his own self without being defined by his issues, all thanks to a swift kick in the ass delivered by Mr Perfect in the form of stalking relentless visits out of the go ...more
Breann
ETA: and this is my 900th book on Goodreeeaaaads!
*twirls*

I can't believe how much the characters drew me in to this story right from the very start.

I really enjoyed Jude and all the crazy he was packing. He made himself a nice little life that completely supported all his issues. Well, Devin saw what was happening and *pfft* yeah, he's not gonna let that fly.

Ugh. Devin. Devin! How me made me swoon. He's the perfect match for Jude. He's so patient and loving and kind. Never pushy or manipulative
Lenore
Decent effort but it was all telling.

A very simplistic approach to OCD and social anxiety disorder.

The character of the mother was more like a caricature than anything else.

And not all m/m stories need to feature full-on sex.

Nice cover though.
Giulio
What a formidable story to kick off the LL event!
Loved it. I can't stop smiling, thinking of Jude and Devin happy traveling togheter far away from Jude's white prison.

“I asked about you. Your first and only response was to tell me about your disorder. You aren’t your disorder. You told me about all the things you don’t like and none of the things you do like. I just find it hard to believe someone like you is completely comprised of dislikes and not a single like.”

description
.Karéz.
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-amor, 2014, standalone
4~~I would be okay~~ Stars

The Story it's quite different from anything i've read!.

One word to describe it. Serene.

Now you might think i'm loco. to describe a m/m book peaceful. with a character who struggles with his own problems. Simply the characters were no perfect! and, no drama, fights, nor ass kissing!!.

Jude- a travel advisor and planner. who have severe OCD and social anxiety disorder. He prefers solitary. to have the same routine everyday. and works from his apartment. his only compan
Karen
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Because Todd told me to...

That's right I read this story because Todd told me to and I have to say I'm really glad he did. It was marvelous and adorably sweet. I loved it from beginning to end. Not mention IT'S FREE!!! I mean really can it get any better than that a really good read that's free.

Of course my only complaint is that it was tooooooo short!!! And we all know the good ones are pretty well always to short, but seriously even if you're not a fan of short reads this one is so worth it.
Sofia
Jun 04, 2014 rated it liked it

I have no intimate knowledge of what severe OCD means but what I read in this story felt right. What I found hard to digest was the ending. (view spoiler) I suspect that this was more for the satisfaction of the readers libido than for the coherence of the story.

That niggle being dealt with, I liked that, yes Devin acted as a catalyst and an enticement to Jude but it was
Elsa Bravante
Una historia corta muy dulce, me gustan muchos los personajes de Summers, me despiertan mucha ternura. Lo único reprochable de la historia es que la visión de la ansiedad y el TOC es un poco simplista, quizás debido a la extensión.
Muy recomendable, una horita y gratis :)
Sunny
So many great lines, and so many great details that showed us who these beautiful men were. I laughed and I cried, and I fell in love.

Thank you, Nash, for sharing your story with us!
Sara
This story was gorgeous. I know I use that word a lot but this simply was stunning.

I am not normally a fan of stories told in the first person perspective. You have to really sell me on the narrator to get me to read it. Jude has delivered such a wonderful, heart breaking and real story that I would have paid to read this. Yeah, I was sold on his voice right away.

Knowing Jude’s issue first hand made me bond to him immediately. I happen to have the same one. I get what he was going through and
  • The Dreams You Made in the Dirt
  • Punch-Drunk Love
  • Better Than New
  • Busted (Wellington Guys #1)
  • Nothing's Missing Now
  • Bound
  • Broken Phoenix
  • Fighting Dirty (Fighting Dirty, #1)
  • 500 Kisses
  • Deep in the Count
  • Straight Men Can't Cook
  • Making It Work
  • An Adventure In Beginnings
Nash Summers rarely has any idea what she’s doing. But when she likes to pretend, she pretends by writing stories at the pace of drying paint. As if that wasn’t exhilarating enough, Nash also enjoys absolute silence, general politeness, and waiting her turn in line.
Needless to say, she’s a bona fide hell raiser.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nash.summers...
Nash also has a super cool newsletter
“When have I ever given him the impression that I was okay with him just stopping by whenever he wanted to use my body as an organic garbage disposal?” 12 likes
“What do you mean I didn’t answer your question? I told you everything about me. I told you something personal.” My jaw was slack and I was openly staring at him, more than a little shocked by his response.

9 likes