Start by marking “The Declaration: South-Carolina (Tales from a Revolution)” as Want to Read:
The Declaration: South-Carolina (Tales from a Revolution)

The Declaration: South-Carolina

(Tales from a Revolution)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  8 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
A hardworking tobacco farmer in the Carolina Uplands, Justin wants only to provide for his family. The outbreak of revolution turns his life upside down, and he cannot anticipate how even his seemingly most inconsequential actions will touch the lives of generations yet to come. Through crushing setbacks and hard-won victories, Justin's perseverance serves as a gift to his ...more
Published July 2nd 2014 by Brief Candle Press

To ask other readers questions about The Declaration, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Declaration

Malia
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another great addition to the “Tales from a Revolution” series.

Lars Hedbor has a magical way of bringing the revolution alive for the reader and this newest addition to the series does not disappoint. I love the transition between the two storylines (present day & revolutionary) and how they relate to each other. Although I admit, I was confused at first, because it was so unlike the others I had read.

I was especially drawn to the character, Katie Harris, in the present day storyline. She di
Michelle Isenhoff
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Mecklenburg Declaration was a declaration of independence made by citizens of North Carolina in 1775, a full year before Jefferson penned THE Declaration of Independence. Because the first known reference to the document was in 1819 and no authentic copy of the original has ever been found, it remains highly controversial.

In The Declaration, Mr. Hedbor offers us a fictional account of a present day family finding a broadside of the Mecklenburg Declaration in the attic of their Revolution-era
Jody Robinson
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all who love American history
This is my favorite book of the series. Lars always provides an unusual perspective for his stories and I liked this one that went between contemporary and historical times, telling the history of the family and of the Revolution.
I love this series!
Jan
Disclaimer: our family used to be American Revolutionary War reenactors.
I thought that this was an excellent historical. The idea of a family of today finding a prewar document is possible, and the parallel voicing of today and then is very well done. The characters are interesting and engaging and quite believable. Good for nearly any age.
The choice of narrator is interesting, but as I loved listening to him that says it all.
I requested and received a free review copy.
Scott Skipper
Katie Harris, near modern day Charleston, is helping her grandmother clear her house in preparation for moving into a nursing home. Starting in the attic Katie finds an ancient trunk bearing the name ‘Elizabeth Harris.’ Inside she finds letters and documents dating to the Revolutionary period. An historian from the university arrives to authenticate them and uncovers an even more earth-shattering and plan changing discovery. Nearly two-hundred and fifty years earlier Justin Harris ekes a living ...more
Mv
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story is set in both the past and the present. We follow a present-day grandmother and granddaughter as they find a copy of an old paper up in their attic. It was kept safe for many generations and finding it has a huge impact on their lives.
We also follow the story of their ancestors during the time prior to the writing of the Mecklenburg Declaration. The colonists, due to the horrible treatment by the British troops, band together to fight back and protect their own. Our main character j
Erin
Jul 10, 2015
Danielle Batten
Jul 07, 2015
Jun 14, 2014
Lars
Jun 15, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Jemille Williams
Yesenia
Nov 13, 2016
Amanda Neal
Mar 08, 2017
What made the American Colonists turn their back on their King, and fight for independence? How were they different from us–and how were their hopes and fears familiar to our own hearts?

These are the sorts of questions that I think are important to ask in examining the American Revolution, and in the pages of my novels, I suggest some possible answers.

I am an amateur historian, linguist, brewer, f

Tales from a Revolution (9 books)
  • The Prize: Vermont (Tales from a Revolution)
  • The Light: New Jersey (Tales from a Revolution)
  • The Smoke: New York (Tales from a Revolution)
  • The Break: Nova-Scotia (Tales From a Revolution)
  • The Wind: West-Florida (Tales From a Revolution)
  • The Darkness: Maine (Tales From a Revolution)
  • The Path: Tales From a Revolution - Rhode-Island