Start by marking “Real Love for Real Life: The Art and Work of Caring” as Want to Read:
Real Love for Real Life: The Art and Work of Caring

Real Love for Real Life: The Art and Work of Caring

Because we are made in the image of a creatively caring God, we reflect his love and concern when we respond to the distinct calling to care for families, neighbors, friends, and communities. As society grows increasingly technological, isolated, and lonely, those who take their caregiving gifts seriously can fill a tremendous void.

In Real Love for Real Life, caregivers o
Published July 16th 2002 by Shaw Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Real Love for Real Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Real Love for Real Life

Start your review of Real Love for Real Life: The Art and Work of Caring
Cindy Rollins
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
When I first started this highly recommended book on caregiving and hospitality, if felt like it was just going to restate the obvious. But as I read, it ministered to me in subtle ways and helped me in my own changing season of life. I have gone from full-time homemaker to part-time bread winner, while also finding myself caring for my own parents. This book helped me think through my priorities. I had felt guilty, knowing we needed the money, turning down an extra teaching job which would have ...more
AddyF
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith
This was a comforting and grounding book, reminding me of the importance and value of my life's call to care for others. It was also important for me to have affirmation that there is a time to rest, a time to set limits, and a time to focus my care-giving on the small circle of my immediate family.
Jenni Simmons
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
As you know, Andi, I loved your book! It is very well-written and full of wisdom that I believe God is teaching me to live out. I refer to your book often - thank you.
Aimee Kollmansberger
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book and wish I had found it 10 years ago! Andi is so honest + inspiring. No heady idealism here. This will renew your love and vision to care for your people well, recognize seasons of caregiving, and “permission” to take care of yourself and know your limits. Excellent!
Andrea
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved this book. It gave words to what I've always felt intuitively: that the work and commitment of living a life of caring is worthwhile and is *something*. Extremely validating to me as a mother who chooses to devote her energies and time to caring for my family and my community. It is definitely becoming a lost art. This is a true classic.
Kelley
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Busyness is an addiction for me sometimes. It makes me feel needed and valuable – but it also can make me feel overwhelmed and unappreciated. For me, Ashworth’s book offered hope on two fronts: grace to work through the necessarily busy times and wisdom to know which busyness I’m supposed to take on and which I’m not.

I had a hard time getting into this book. I read another like it a month ago and loved it. The two women make similar points but have very different styles. I think maybe I just ha
Kristen
Feb 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Andi Ashworth’s Real Love for Real Life is an excellent treatment of the Christian call to hospitality. Subtitled “the Art and Work of Caring,” the book is of particular encouragement to those who are serving as caregivers on a full-time basis. In a world that pushes efficiency, speed and uniformity, Ashworth fights for the personal touch, for giving others our time and energy. Through her wonderful anecdotes, she helps readers to understand the importance giving of ourselves to create beauty an ...more
ladydusk
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Own. I would probably give this 3.5 stars if I could.

I liked the book. But, I'm not sure who its audience is. I thought she was making the case for "caregiving" being a calling greater than that of the general Christian calling, and at times I saw that as so. At other times, it seemed that anyone, Christian or no, could practice "caregiving" as she describes it. I'm not sure she made her case that it is a Christian "vocation" beyond the call all Christians have to feed, quench thirst, visit, etc
Amy
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'd had this book on my shelf for quite awhile, and I'm glad I finally took time to read it. I'm in an extended season of caring for others, and Ashworth's ideas and perspective encouraged me. It's a blessing to learn from someone who's made it farther down the road and can offer wisdom, especially with her authentic tone.
Carol Phelps
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
As the caretaker of a seven-year-old son with spina bifida, and now an elderly aunt with dementia, I have found this book more than indispensable. Andi Ashworth's insights into the full spectrum of caregiving are as enlightening and encouraging as I could have imagined. She illustrates so many little ways that the term "caregiver" can be applied to one's life beyond parenting and caring for the elderly. A spirit of Godly hospitality, love and kindness is essential, and Andi brilliantly articulat ...more
Stacey
I have never read a book quite like this. In a world that values money, success and career achievement as a benchmark for meaningful work, the author shines a spotlight on the hidden work of caring for people in beautiful, practical, artful ways. Andi Ashworth and her husband founded Art House America, and her perspective in cultivating creativity and community is so valuable and encouraging to me personally, it will be a book I read multiple times.
Reagan
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I underlined half the book. Incredibly affirming for me. Andi Ashworth elucidates the value of the upaid work I love with all my heart.
Stacy
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Andi Ashworth is Charlie Peacock's wife, which is a fun piece of knowledge if you know who Charlie Peacock is. I enjoyed this book for a few reasons:
1) It's unique. I've never read an entire book devoted to the topic of caregiving.
2) I'm a caregiver, so it was applicable and encouraging to me.
3) I agreed with her on a lot of things, particularly her exhortation to slow the busy lifestyle.

Here's an example of that:
"...we also normalize frantic lifestyles when we don't need to. Whether we take a
Annaliisa Maki
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christians, Mothers
Shelves: love-life
Andi Ashworth beautifully addresses how authentic, artful care-giving is something we ALL can do in not only in our homes, but also in our communities. Through heartfelt personal stories, scripture, relevant quotes from great writers, she paints how few things truly impact people's lives quite like REAL Love shown in everyday acts of kindness, large and small. No matter what season of life you are in, this book offers profound inspiration and encouragement in showing that in all our care-giving ...more
Kate
May 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
In this book, Andi Ashworth explores the art and work of caring for others. It is a very encouraging and practical book on serving others, and is especially encouraging for those who find themselves focusing a lot of their energy and time on caring for children, older people, or others who need a lot of care. I found her insights very helpful. We had Andi come and speak for our women's retreat, and I appreciated her attention to the varied types of aristry that are involved in hospitality; not a ...more
Todd Jenkins
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, children of the elderly, nurses, pastors, etc., etc.
Recommended to Todd by: Charlie Peacock (the author's husband, actually, and well met!)
Jen Heininger
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
This was an easy read that I picked up over the course of several months. Basic Biblical discussion about the act of caring for others as a vocation. I really liked it. Would probably have given it 3.5 stars as most of what is said is not a news flash but I appreciate the subject matter and her easy writing style.
Heather Jones
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is full of practical tips, wrapped in beautiful, personal stories. I love how she resists the culture in redefining the idea of caregiving. My only complaint is it is sometimes slightly redundant.
Caroline
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2013
This was practical and affirming that many of the forms of caring that I am drawn to are valid and worthwhile. This isn't the book to persuade someone to see the necessity of caring, but very helpful and encouraging for those who already are practicing this art and work.
RF
This book, along with Hidden Art by Edith Schaeffer, have been incredibly formative in my understanding of caregiving and hospitality and creativity. Would highly recommend it!
Hillary
Feb 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Refreshing, thoughtful, and really helpful. It brings value and dignity to the lost art of caring for people, no matter what season of life.
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm not in the primary target audience for this book...but it was still great. Care for each other, people.
John
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!
Trace
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-booklist
The BEST book on hospitality (in all of its forms) that I've ever read. Beautiful examples of how the body of Christ can care for and love God's people.
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
how to be hospitable, creative, caring in simple and enduring ways
Katie Williams
Oct 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This has been one of the most influential books I've read. It really helped me embrace my gift and calling of caring for people. we don't see this validated very often in our world!
Kate
Jan 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great book on hospitality/caregiving. Great for new moms or people with elderly parents, others in a full-time caregiving role.
Gretchen
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this warmly written soul stirring call to caring for others and our loved ones and even ourselves.
Spring
Dec 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I would strongly recommend this book to any women who wants to improve on the job of caregiving. It's was so good. It's also an easy read.
Sabra
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I couldn't put it down and underlined half the book. It's a strange title and I would summarize it mostly as a book on hospitality...thanks Liz for sending it to me!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Struck: One Christian's Reflections on Encountering Death
  • The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (The Herdmans #1)
  • The Bible Tells Me So: Why Defending Scripture Has Made Us Unable to Read It
  • Virgil Wander
  • Tenth of December
  • The Promise is His Presence: Why God is Always Enough
  • Crossing to Safety
  • Courage, Dear Heart: Letters to a Weary World
  • The Next Right Thing: A Simple, Soulful Practice for Making Life Decisions
Andi Ashworth and her husband, Charlie Peacock, are the co-founders and executive directors of Art House America, a non-profit organization committed to the encouragement of imagination and creativity for the common good. Andi holds a Master of Arts in Theological Studies, contributes regularly to the Art House America blog, and is intensely engaged in the care and nurture of people and place dail ...more

News & Interviews

“In its essence, a meal is a creative act that has its genesis in the mind of someone who cares enough to plan it, gather ingredients and labor over its creation.” 6 likes
“Home is the school where we learn that love shows itself in the details.” 5 likes