Start by marking “Boogie Knights” as Want to Read:
Boogie Knights

Boogie Knights

In this rip-roaring picture book, readers are invited to the party of the year, as all monsters large and small throw the most outrageous, most bodacious bash of them all--the Madcap Monster Ball. Full color.
Published August 5th 2008 by Atheneum/Richard Jackson Books

To ask other readers questions about Boogie Knights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boogie Knights

Coleen (The Book Ramblings)
Boogie Knights is about a once-a-year monster ball, and the seven knights that investigate... then end up joining the bash. My niece and nephew loved this, and I enjoyed it too. It was a fun, clever picture book full of rhymes!
Laila (BigReadingLife)
My son loves this book, and I enjoy reading it to him. Fantastic rhyme and rhythm to it.
Libbie Huhn
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. I think this would be an excellent book for children to read aloud because it has a big emphasis on alliteration. This book would be good to do a lesson on alliteration because it uses so much, and it has good and simple examples for children to follow and understand. The story line itself was very attention-catching and the visuals went along really well with the story, keeping me entertained and interested the whole time.
gina
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, spooky
This is a perfect book for our son for this halloween (age 4.5). It was just the right amount of spooky mixed in with fun so it's not too scary. I hated having to return it to the library. I wish we owned it! I highly recommend it to anyone with children who enjoy spooky picture books at Halloween.
Emily A
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great for teaching about homophones! Also fun for Halloween
Quizmo
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-stuff
Delightful! Fun word-play, fabulous illustrations.
Chad Seevers
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure, poetry
its an ok book. not much teaching ideas for it. but good for the shelf.
Kelly
Fun and whimsical.
Wylaina
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
rhyming book
Margaret Chind
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This rhythmic rhyming book is a hoot.
Pam
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story about knights and monsters have a dance in the castle - the once a year Monster Ball.
Great pictures, easy to read rhymes, and a silly story - that's all a preschool story time needs!
Joey Starr
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I enjoyed this book because the unique words to describe the story. The author did a great introducing words into the story that would allow for the reader to be captured by the words.

Guided reading: N/A
DRA Level: N/A
Traits: presentation, conventions, voice
Meredith
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
A variety of supernatural creatures, eventually joined by all seven knights on guard duty, an out-of-bed prince, and the ghost of a princess, attend the Madcap Monster Ball.

Unbeknownst to the castle's inhabitants, monsters of all ilks sneak in for their annual midnight dance party. The only person aware of the commotion is a little prince, with a candle and his teddy bear, who nervously observes the fray.

What initially appeared to be empty suits of decorative armor turn out to be knights asleep
Jennifer Strong
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Madcap Monster Ball has begun deep in the castle. One by one the seven knights wake up and make their way down to investigate. It isn't long before each of them is caught up in the music and starts to dance! Finally, they stand "weary in the hall. Seven sleepers close their peepers- dream of next year's monster's ball."

This book is written in such a fun and clever rhyme! The knights aren't the only ones the music woke- the prince is shown waking up and sneaking down the stairs, afraid at fi
Kat
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, picture-books
Basic plot: the once-a-year monster's ball comes to the castle and the knights investigate.

This was a very cute book for multiple reasons. The art was solid, with plenty of detail. It had a pattern with logical repetition that the reader and listener can both get into. There were some funny puns in the text with the different knights' names, and the rhyming of the book didn't seem forced. This was a fun one, with a lot of good re-reading potential.
Dianne
May 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Packed full of vivid language, including lots of lovely verbs. I loved the rhyme and rhythm - I think I could read this to my child over and over again without tiring of it. The illustrations are delightful - and the illustrator sneaks in an extra bonus story that is not part of the text. I love books that reward you for paying attention.
Greta
Apr 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
The names of the knights are so fun! Great book, Lisa!I love the musical rhythm and the beat of the text. I also love the descriptive word before each knight's name, ie. . ."tough SIR LOIN, wide, SIR ROUND, and my absolute favorites: forced, SIR ENDER, and lone Sir VIVOR. Very clever, very witty, very fun!
Joenna
Aug 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: preschool, toddler
It's midnight at a castle and the Madcap Monster Ball has begun! Mummies mamba, serpents samba, amd wizards wiggle, while upstairs, seven knights are fast asleep. One by one, they all hear something and come downstairs to investigate. Only they join in on the fun. A rhyming and counting book good for Halloween time.
Kaethe Douglas
I had placed a request for this, but when we stopped by the library to drop off some finished books and a box of donations, they had a copy out on the new shelf. Definitely a hit with the PandaBat. She loves monsters and ghoulies. The Possum was amused by the Knights' names: Sir Comference, Sir Ender, etc.
Cindy
Oct 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: to everyone!
I love this book! The illustrations, by Mark Seigal, are wonderfully clever, as is this story about 7 knights lured from storage to a Monster Ball. It's impossible to pick a favorite knight: Sir Veillance, Sir Prize, Sir Loin, Sir Round, Sir Cumference, Sir Ender, and finally, the lone Sir Vivor.
Mary Beth
Aug 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rabbit-and-bear
Loved it! And by the way, this book is illustrated by Mark Siegel(he is not currently listed with this book). My boys love this book!
Kyla
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: t-l-306
This could be used around Halloween time as a read aloud. It doesn't deal with the actual holiday, but of ghosts and skeletons. I think that this book would be fun to do before a costume party or something for my students.
Tricia
Oct 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
What great fun! It's the night of a ball in the castle and one by one the knights leave their post to join in the fun. It left me wondering...is there a way to read this during Boogie Woogie books with a musical interlude for each of the dances? OH! How exciting the possibilities!
Courtney Sharpton
This would be a book to read a Halloween. Students in Kindergarten would enjoy this book. All the Knights names are math vocabulary terms and that students will have fun guessing how many Knights are left.
Kate Hastings
Dec 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: picture book scary funny humor
I liked this book, only later realizing that Lisa Wheeler wrote it. I love Lisa Wheeler. Anyhow-- in this story knights awaken one by one to a party in a haunted castle. Funny puns and language will amuse older students and adults. The illustrations are great! Definitely a Caldecott contender.
Tracy
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kiddielit
Delightful word play, rhythm and rhyme. What a clever concept: "Werewolves hustle/Zombies bustle / from their coffins, crypts and vaults. / Mummies mamba. / Serpents samba. / Wicked witches do the waltz" and all that ensues for those sleepy knights!
Gaylene
Apr 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
You can never go wrong with a LIsa Wheeler picture book!
Patricia
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wish Sir Ender had gone last.
Cecile
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It is my toddler's favorite book and we sing it to him all the time. He loves it so much he even sings it to himself in his sleep. Really great children's book.

• When a Monster Is Born