Start by marking “The Lonely Lioness and the Ostrich Chicks: A Masai Tale” as Want to Read:
The Lonely Lioness and the Ostrich Chicks: A Masai Tale

The Lonely Lioness and the Ostrich Chicks: A Masai Tale

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  71 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Illustrated in full color. Beloved storyteller Verna Aardema is at her finest in this African animal tale, weaving charm and suspense with a delightfully satisfying resolution. Peering down from her treetop perch, a lonely lioness admires the noisily cheeping clan of Mother Ostrich and thinks, "I would be happy to have just one child." So she leaps down, gurum! and steals ...more
Published September 9th 1996 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Lonely Lioness and the Ostrich Chicks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lonely Lioness and the Ostrich Chicks

Ronyell
"The Lonely Lioness and the Ostrich Chicks" is an African folktale from the brilliant mind of Verna Aardema along with illustrations by Yumi Heo and it is about how a lonely lioness steals Mother Ostrich's chicks and how Mother Ostrich must find a way to help save her chicks from the lioness. "The Lonely Lioness and the Ostrich Chicks" is a truly amazing story about a mother's love for her children that many children will enjoy for many years to come!

Verna Aardema's story about how Mother Ostric
Kathryn
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathryn by: Ronyell
This is the story of a lonely lioness who longs for children of her own--and steals the chicks of a mother ostrich so that she can have them to herself! Of course, the mother ostrich is not standing for this and begs lots of other savanna animals to help her get her chicks back.

The illustrations are really a stand-out for me here. They are very "transportive"--giving me the sensation of being in Africa. I love that! The animals are so unusual looking, and so expressive. Great!

The story itself i
Janelle
Jun 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
A Masai folktale about a lonely lioness who kidnaps the children of an Ostrich. I was a little turned off by the Ostrich's dependency of others to save her children. Had she plotted and fought to get them back I would have enjoyed it more. I'm not exactly sure what the lesson is supposed to be, since whoever is distracted at the time is the one who is able to take the children. It seems like it could breed paranoia in children and adults.

I did like the illustrations and the stacked images in th
Arline
Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a nice linear story. You could map out the story this way to show the struction of the story.
The story starts with a proverb, "Even the ostrich, with its long neck and sharp eyes, cannot see what will happen in the future." I would start reading this book with examining this proverb and what it means. Then students can make prediction based on a picture walk and the proverb. After reading the story we can revisit the proverb. I might make text-to-text, text-to-self, or text-to-world con
Molly Toomey
An ostrich mother has 4 baby chicks who are following her around. As a lonely lioness mother watches on, she wants to have a baby of her own. The lioness takes the 4 baby chicks from the mother to have as her own. The frantic ostrich mother enlists the help of many other animals, only one of which will help. By tricking the lioness, the ostrich mother can finally get her chicks back. A beautifully illustrated book that students will love to hear.
Whirl Girl
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kenya, top-five
This was the book that The Whirl Girl chose to read the most frequently for our Kenya month. I liked that it included less traditional animals (mongoose, hyena, jackal, gazelle) and it had fun language to read with phonetic sounds for animal movements. The Whirl Girl is into any story about a mama searching for and finding her babies, so this one grabbed her attention. It had just the right amount of suspense for a kid her age. The unique illustrations felt foreign, yet familiar.
Kelly
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely book which is a Masai folktale. Pair this book with 14 Cows for America.Interesting and engaging illustrations with animal noises. Discuss qualities of a mother, enlisting the help of others.
Miriam
Oct 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Poor lonely lioness. I wonder what happened that she has no pride to be a part of?

And poor mother ostrich. Her chicks forgot her so quickly. Maybe she was a mean mother and the lioness was nicer.

These animals don't behave very realistically.
MJ
Nov 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Alissa kept saying "She doesn't have to take all 4 chicks!"
Rachel
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was entertaining. We had it read at our practicum by our teacher and it was fun to listen to the repetitiveness of the kids reading along. The pictures were good and I liked the colors.
Alisha
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This one must have been a favorite as my children requested (and I did) read it at least 3x a day for two weeks.
Anamika Rastogi
Oct 05, 2012
Zack
Oct 22, 2013
Elgin Chan
rated it did not like it
Sep 14, 2015
Apr 18, 2012
Everly Reynolds
Jun 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Verna Norberg Aardema Vugteveen (6 June 1911 – 11 May 2000), best known by the name Verna Aardema, was an American author of children's books.

Born in New Era, Michigan she graduated from Michigan State University with a B.A. of Journalism in 1934. She worked as a grade school teacher from 1934 to 1973 and became a correspondent for the Muskegon Chronicle in 1951, which lasted until 1972, the year
More about Verna Aardema...