Start by marking “Real Murder (Lovers in Crime, #2)” as Want to Read:
Real Murder (Lovers in Crime, #2)

(Lovers in Crime #2)

When Homicide Detective Cameron Gates befriends Dolly, the little old lady who lives across the street, she is warned not to get lured into helping the elderly woman by investigating the unsolved murder of one of her girls. “She’s senile,” Cameron is warned. “It’s not a real murder.”
Such is not the case. After Dolly is brutally murdered, Cameron discovers that the sweet b
Published May 28th 2014 by Acorn Book Services

To ask other readers questions about Real Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Real Murder

A Book Vacation
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Random thoughts prior to full review:

Lauren Carr's characters are expertly crafted and her plot seamlessly flows in her latest mystery novel, Real Murder. Another novel in the enticing Lovers in Crime series featuring Joshua Thornton and Cameron Gates, lovers of mysteries will not want to miss this gem.

Carr does a phenomenal job keeping readers on their toes in this fast-paced novel, especially as Joshua and Cameron begin to uncover the truth behind an 18 year old cold-case. While at times I was
Black Butterfly
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: AMAZON
Shelves: mystery-romance
JUST WONDERFUL! I LOVED THIS, REMINDS ME OF MYSTERIES OF THE PAST: MURDER SHE WROTE, PERRY MASON, ROCKY KANE, ROCKFORD FILES AND HART TO HART. I HAVE READ ALL OF MS CARR'S BOOKS SO I THOUGTH BUT FOUND AT THE END OF THIS BOOK I HAD MISSED 2 OF THEM. I WENT RIGHT TO AMAZON AND GOT THEM. THIS IS JOSHUA & CAMERON'S, WHICH I MET IN PREVIOUS BOOKS, THEY ARE SUCH A GREAT COUPLE. I LOVE ALL THE CHARACTERS IN MS. CARR'S BOOKS, SO WELL DEVELOPED, SEEMS AS IF I KNOW THEM PERSONALLY. ;D THIS STORY HAD S ...more
Rhonda
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

I love to read Lauren Carr's mysteries. Real Murder fits right in with her Lovers in Crime series. There are a lot of murders over the years and other crimes in two or more states. Joshua and Cameron have to figure out who did what in whose case. There are many suspects, lots of mysteries to untangle, humor and lots of ice cream. You might be able to guess parts of the stories but probably not all of where the book is taking you. Also a clean murder mystery.

I really like the characters in
Laurel-Rain
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Police Detective Cameron Gates and her new husband Joshua Thornton, a prosecuting attorney, team up to solve a string of murders, including some cold cases from 1976 and 1996, they are stunned by the domino effect that seems to be in play.

The brutal murder of Dolly Houseman, an elderly woman who lives across the street, starts the chain of events, and as we meet the various players and realize the connections between them all, it is impossible to put "Real Murder (A Lovers in Crime Mystery
Sam
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: real-murder
Lauren Carr's latest release is destined to be another hit. In this fast paced age turner the relationship of Joshua Thornton and Cameron Gates develops to a new level in an interesting mix of marriage, murder and investigation. Mixed with a dash of humor, Carr unravels several murders including that of an old friend of Joshua and a "sweet" old lady who once took care of Joshua (although she may have secrets of her own). The setting located in a small, three state area adds to the enjoyment I fo ...more
Adrienne Testa
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
An old fashion mystery that keeps you turning the pages. When Homicide Detective Cameron Gates and prosecuting attorney Joshua Thornton cases start to blend into one case, they are forced to go back to a 1966 labelled suicide to find the answers to the current murder of a former madam. Powerful people would prefer Dolly's murder go unsolved, to keep their secrets hidden. Yet, Cameron Gates has a sense of justice and wants to learnt the truth. While Joshua only wants the answers to what happened ...more
Harry Lane
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Carr's novel is a delight on several levels. To start, her characters have occupations that make their detecting natural in contrast to a character like Miss Marple. The characters are well developed, and that goes beyond the principals. The plot of this installment is complex without being confusing, and the resolution is eminently satisfying. Finally, the setting, located where three States abut creates some interesting byplay in terms of jurisdictional issues.
Michele bookloverforever
Oh, no! I have to wait a whole year for the next book in this series? forget Mac....give me Joshua and Cam, lovers in crime, any day! Re-read this mysyery in March, 2017...still love this duo. good plot, great characters..
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
After reading Dead on Ice, the first book in the Lovers in Crime series, I was eager to dig into this second book in the series, Real Murder. And Lauren Carr did it again! I liked this one even better than Dead on Ice. Like her other books, this one has so many layers that all come together in the end. There are several murders being investigated and as a reader you're pulled in, your mind trying to figure out the connection and the clues that will lead to the killer(s).

Once again, lovers Joshua
Bill White
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this story,I am from Pa. so I know the town of Hookstown,also born and raised 30 miles from Pittsburgh.

I figured out who did the killings early in the book,but it was a good plot,also love all the characters.

Shirley Alvarez
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
REAL MURDER

This second book was so much better than the first maybe because I could understand it. Had problems with the first on. This is a good series. Glad I didn't stop at number one. Neither should you!
Ki
Sep 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook, own
Oh man I got to tell you I’m loving every read I’ve been doing from Lauren Carr! So far I haven’t been disappointed by any of her books and this is another one that I’ll want to have on my shelf. Lauren Carr also has another series, The Mac Faraday Mysteries,which I’m also loving every bit and will have too catch up with very soon!

Both Joshua Thornton (hero) and Cameron Gates (heroine) also made appearances in Lauren’s other books, like in the Mac Faraday Mysteries and in his very own the Joshua
L.A.
Posted first on Blog Critics as Book Review:'Real Murder, A Lovers In Crime Mystery' by Lauren Carr.

Even in small towns there is a possibility of sinister evil, were the secrets of the past can turn even the most unlikely of foe into a killer. Yet it is also true about small towns that dark secrets are often more difficult to extricate from gossip in an effort to reach the truth.

In Real Murder, A Lovers In Crime Mystery by Lauren Carr, we follow the exploits of Detective Cameron Gates. When she
Teena in Toronto
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
There are three timelines in the book ...

In 1976, Ava, a call girl, and her guest are found murdered in Dolly's, the gentleman's club where she works, and the case is never solved.

In 1996, Mike, a sheriff's deputy, disappears on his way to meeting an informant on a case he was working on and is never found.

It's now 2014. Joshua is a prosecuting attorney and Cameron is a homicide detective and they've recently gotten married, though his adult children, especially his daughter, Tracey, aren't too
Lauren Carr
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
As the author of REAL MURDER, readers will find that I dive deeper into Joshua Thornton and Cameron Gates’ romantic relationship. “The difference between this series and my Mac Faraday mysteries is that the Lovers in Crime are a couple. While the mystery is the main ingredient, and is always in the forefront, Joshua and Cameron’s romance, and new marriage, is also a key ingredient.

While they love each other passionately, the newly-wed couple do have adjustments to make—like Joshua’s grown daught
Terry
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Brent Soderstrum
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
In Carr's second book in the Lovers In Crime series Cameron and Josh are getting use to being married and trying to solve a few mysteries that have come up. The first murders took place in 1976 when a prostitute and her customer are killed in Dolly's. Ava, the prostitute, had recently turned to prostitution after she had become pregnant and her boyfriend had killed himself when he found out. The second murder took place in 1996 when Josh's friend Mike, who was a police officer disappeared when h ...more
Jeanie Jackson
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, x-read-2016
While I really enjoyed the first book in the Lovers in Crime series, I think Real Murder is every better. Once again the mystery is complex and intense but the characters and relationships carry the day.

The mystery reminds me of one of those games where you have to disconnects interlocking loops. There are so many possibilities that it seems almost impossible to solve. The hunt is personal for Josh it is the discover of the body of a close friend that kicks of the discovery of more and more mur
Jerry
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good continuation of the series. Added yet another family couple to the mix of crime fighters. Multiple plots with multiple murders kept me interested until the end. Preparing to start the third book in the series.
Peggy
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
~~~RECEIVED FOR HONEST REVIEW~~~

Seat gripping pace tuner! What you think may come takes you on a twist you may not see coming! Well written! Easy to follow! Very talented author who knows how to take a story and make it grad the readers attention!
bonnie kirchner
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Real Murder

This is book two in this Laren Carr mystery. This book was full of suspense just like all her mystery books are. Great reading . I would recommend this book highly. The next book in this series will be out in June of 2015. Make sure you get it I know I will.
NVTony
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Now have another favorite mystery writer on my list. Enjoyed writing style and never felt story was dragging. Looking for a good mystery search no more.
tone
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Real Murder

Amazing how the actions of one person changed the lives of many. You think there is one killer think again. Love the characters in this novel.
Kenneth Wilson
Aug 28, 2015
eric mcnab
Nov 22, 2014
Pump Up Your Book: Real Murder by Lauren Carr 1 4 Aug 09, 2014 02:39PM

• The Rainy Day Killer (Donaghue and Stainer Crime Novel #4)
  • Contract: Sicko (Sei Assassin Thriller, #2)
  • King of Paine
  • Black Machetes
  • Dark Mind (Emily Stone, #3)
  • Black Throne Conspiracy
  • Chasing Vegas
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny
  • Highway to Vengeance: A Thomas Highway Novel
  • Chill Run
  • Danse Macabre (The Neve & Egan cases, #3)
  • Not From Around Here
  • Cookie's Case
  • Ghostly Summons
  • Floats The Dark Shadow
  • Venom
  • New Orleans Requiem
  • Far Shore
Lauren Carr is the international best-selling author of the Mac Faraday, Lovers in Crime, and Thorny Rose Mysteries—over twenty titles across three fast-paced mystery series filled with twists and turns!

Book reviewers and readers alike rave about how Lauren Carr’s seamlessly crosses genres to include mystery, suspense, romance, and humor.

Lauren is a popular speaker who has made appearances at sch

Lovers in Crime (5 books)
  • Dead on Ice (Lovers in Crime, #1)
  • Killer in the Band
  • Twofer Murder
  • The Root of Murder (Lovers in Crime Mystery Book 4)