Start by marking “What Remains” as Want to Read:
What Remains

What Remains

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  279 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Internationally acclaimed photographer Sally Mann offers a five-part meditation on mortality.
Published September 23rd 2003 by Bulfinch

To ask other readers questions about What Remains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Remains

David Schaafsma
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
Mann's meditation on death, dedicated to her father, who was her aesthetic's greatest influence and whose death knocked her for a loop as most of our fathers' passings will do. Ethereal, much like her photographs of in The South, and spooky, foggy, dark, unsentimental, real, powerful. I liked her lovely opening essay and an excerpt from a Galway Kinnell poem in it. Not for everyone, as other reviewers agree, but the work and courage of it are pretty stunning to me.
Evan
Apr 03, 2010 rated it liked it
It's hard to judge the art books of Sally Mann because, in this town, the libraries and bookstores are too chickenshit to stock them, since most of them contain nekkid chidrens.

So this is the only one I can get from the public library, where it's OK to stock photo books depicting death and decay, but not ones depicting the reality of the living human form from one particular defined age realm, which happens to be a pretty wide one, from 1 to 18.

This book is dedicated to Mann's deceased father, a
Elizabeth
vivid & intense; sally mann does not hold back.
Emily
Oct 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A little gruesome, some decomposing bodies and the like, but it's quite a beautiful meditation on death as well. I think the book is a lot more interesting after viewing the documentary of the same name that was made while Sally Mann was making these photographs.
christinemm
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this / looked at it after watching the documentary by the same name. The documentary tells about Mann's past and leading up to creating the body of work that was a part of her show "What Remains". In the documentary there is important backstory about the idea to explore death and once one series began how the next evolved. To read the book after was great as I got to see the images that were in this show up close since not every one was shown in the documentary. However if you look at thi ...more
M. Sarki
Feb 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: somebody wanting to commit suicide
I am a big fan of Sally Mann, but not of this book. I love reading and looking at death. One of my favorite pastimes are dark novels, that and walking in beautiful cemeteries. I prefer a good Catholic cemetery to any of them really. The more limestone monoliths the better. But Sally failed me here, or perhaps I am just not sophisticated enough in order to "get it". There wasn't one photograph or poem that got to me. Not one. The text was lacking too. Very disappointed in this piece of work.
Collin Kelley
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the most stunning and haunting photography collections ever published. The dark images from the scarred battlefields of Antietam, the decaying bodies at the University of Tennessee Anthropological Research Facility and Mann's children are iconic. The book also contains poetry from Whitman and Galway Kinnell to introduce each section.
Ryan
Sep 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-culture
In What Remains, Mann creates images of death and decay which is quite a departure from her earlier works which centered on the exuberance of youth. She uses a glass-plate process here which lends a harmoniously gritty feel to the images.
Roger
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I like this work, don't love it. Little too much bone art for my taste. The portraits are pretty good. I've also never been head over heels enamored with Sally Mann like so many photographers seem to be, but maybe I'm just a hater.
Nancy
Jul 20, 2014 added it
Shelves: art, 2014
I found the pictures kind of creepy and dark.
Rob
Sep 30, 2007 rated it liked it
ooh, dead things.
not as great.
Rinku
Nov 23, 2015 rated it liked it
I straight forward look at death.
Alisha
Apr 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: photo
mixed feelings on this.

really, sally mann? you went from your children to DEAD MATTER?!

the star is ONLY for the fact that you did these wet plate process.
kimberly
  • The Bone House
  • Francesca Woodman
  • In the American West
  • Eudora Welty: Photographs
  • The Art of the American Snapshot, 1888-1978: From the Collection of Robert E. Jackson
  • The Devil's Playground
  • The Mütter Museum: Of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia
  • Mütter Museum: Historic Medical Photographs
  • Bellocq: Photographs from Storyville, the Red-Light District of New Orleans
  • Naked City
Sally Mann is an American photographer, best known for her large black-and-white photographs.

Awards
• National Endowment for the Arts Individual Artist Fellowship: 1982, 1988, & 1992.
• John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship, 1987.
• Honorary Doctor of Fine Arts from the Corcoran College of Art and Design, 2006.
• Honorary Fellowship of The Royal Photographic Society, 2012.
More about Sally Mann