Start by marking “Dust & Grooves: Adventures in Record Collecting” as Want to Read:
Dust & Grooves: Adventures in Record Collecting

Dust & Grooves: Adventures in Record Collecting

Eilon Paz’s 416-page coffee-table book illuminates over 130 vinyl collectors and their collections in the most intimate of environments—their record rooms. With a foreword by the RZA, compelling photographic essays are paired with in-depth interviews to illustrate what motivates record collectors to keep digging for more records.

Readers get an up close and pers
Published April 19th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Dust & Grooves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dust & Grooves

Start your review of Dust & Grooves: Adventures in Record Collecting
John
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
An excellent look at vinyl collections and collectors. It makes no sense to do 300 pages of photography and then do 150 pages of photo-Heavy interviews, particularly when those interviewees have popped up in the front part. Mix it up. Aside from layout this is excellent and I will pursue buying a copy.
Phoebe Andamo
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-ng, non-fiction
My late grandfather left us his vinyl records. As I was browsing it, I remember him listening to music and turning up the volume to full blast. He even set up two large speakers. I also remember feeling embarrassed whenever he did that because I was thinking that the neighbors and the people walking outside might think we were too braggart about it. Maybe that's just the way my grandfather enjoyed music. Or he might be the type of collector who was proud. Like me.

I am not into vinyl but I know
A Reader's Heaven

An incredibly cool glimpse into the vinyl collections of known and unknown DJs, producers, record dealers, and everyday enthusiasts, with compelling photographic essays paired with in-depth interviews that delve into collectors' personal histories and vinyl troves.
This sumptuous coffee table book is the culmination of photographer Eilon Paz's six-year journey around the globe to unearth the very soul/>
An
Adrienne Thompson
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT book full of stellar photography, quirky quotes, and interesting, eye-opening interviews. This book is eye candy for any lover of music and vinyl, and it is easy to see that it was a labor of love. Great read! I highly and very enthusiastically recommend it!

Thank you, NetGalley, for allowing me to read an advanced copy of this book!

Adrienne Thompson
Author of Summertime
William
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book - an absolute joy to read through from cover to cover. The photography and the interviews perfectly combine to illustrate the passion of the collectors and their collections.

Word of warning: if you have any interest in collecting records yourself, reading this book may well turn that interest into an addiction!
Rebecca
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very pretty book. The photos are the best part; lots of these people have really impressive record collections. Actually the best part is looking at the photos and seeing a record I have :)
For some oddball reason they printed the first 2/3 book on heavy glossy stock, and the final third, which is interviews with the people whose collections they photographed (along with more, smaller photos) is on a lighter weight matte stock. That was weird and it feels like a mistake.
Joe
Aug 01, 2019 added it
Wonderful book and photos about avid,rabid record collectors
Esther
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Utterly fascinating. The interviews are great, pouring over the photos of people's collection spaces and also getting a massive list of must check that out tunes. My kind of people.
Liza
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A worker at the library recommended this book to me. I liked it but it is definitely a coffee table book and might be to expensive to buy. Love the ideas of storing and displaying albums.
Jessica Camara
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nice coffee table type book for record collectors. Fun to see the collections of many different people!
Jordan Varey
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I collect records. Specifically, I collect Jesus Music from the era roughly spanning from 1969 - 1989. I really enjoyed leafing through this sturdy coffee table book and seeing all the pictures of other people's dusty collections and hearing about their favourite finds.

It was also a great book for getting ideas about how to display album covers and how to store collections. It is amazing how people's personalities are so evident from their collections. The book had images of everything from min
Bamboozlepig
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a record collector myself, this book spoke to my heart. I enjoyed the glimpses into the lives of other collectors, it was rather fascinating. Like them, I've had both heartbreak and joy in my own collecting life, and I could identify with the reasons they began their vinyl obsession and why they keep it going. For me, listening to music on vinyl is an experience...the music is warmer and richer, plus there's the physical connection of taking the record out of the cover and reading the liner n ...more
Jt
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
greetings

let me preface this note by saying i used to collect vinyl records but since my first generation turntable broke, i am left in limbo. this book changed how i perceived those who save & arrange their collections. it is more than a recreational hobby for some of us. it is an obsession indeed. i own about 150 records, pale in comparison to those who have thousands. i wonder how the vinyl heads have time to purchase all these LP's. this wonderful book can be described as a h
Alan Eggleston
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
From my Booksville (Blogspot) book review site: "What you will find here is not your typical result of intensive interviews, although there are some longer pieces farther into the book. But what is amazing are the photos of collectors' record habitats. If you're an avid reader, imagine a tabletop book on book collectors that shows collectors' book nooks and libraries teeming with books. Imagine the characters you would meet behind the collectors. That's what Dust & Grooves exposes, only for ...more
Barbara
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my Valentine's present to my husband today (Feb 14, 2016). He is an avid vinyl collector and relates to most of the pictures and stories in this amazing book. Perhaps it will spur him on to finally do a blog or website about his massive collection which he has been building since a teen in the early 1960's. It is quite international with both 45's and albums from USA, England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, The Bahamas and other Caribbean countries, meticulously organized and preserved. ...more
Charlie
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book speaks to me. I see myself at times in these pages, but then realize that there are people far more addicted than me. I find it fascinating to see how far out there some people have gone, seemingly in the hunt for something different, something new -- a place that their own musical journey has taken them to. Thoroughly enjoying this book.
Patrick Book
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
So perfectly catches the unique brand of monomania that possesses crate-diggers and stack-dwellers. The interviews are incredible, and the photos show how universal this pursuit truly is. An absolutely gorgeous presentation on every level.
Bill Wells
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I loved this book! Having had a vinyl record collection at one time, I could appreciate the photos of the collections and the stories behind the collectors. Truly a good read for anyone who has a love of music, regardless of the genre.
Trish
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, nonfiction, music
This is a neat book about people record collections. It is very cool to look through.
Daahoud Asante
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
fantastic book!!!! visually perfect for wax fiends.
Jocelin
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography, art
For avid record collectors everywhere.
Andrew
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I could relate to this.
Lara Seven
Aug 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Coffee table book featuring vinyl collectors and their treasures. okay but I didn't really learn anything about collecting/collectors from it.
Maureen
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, music
Excellent photography, touching and interesting interviews. Great for anyone interested in physical media.
Ries
Vic Ing
Aug 03, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Tex
  • Labyrinth (Languedoc, #1)
  • The Oxford Dictionary of Idioms
  • The Penguin Dictionary Of Proverbs
  • The Out-of-Body Experience: The History and Science of Astral Travel
  • The Cosmic Serpent: DNA and the Origins of Knowledge
  • Valas
  • Tärkeitä asioita
  • Kuningas menettää päänsä
  • Kramppeja ja nyrjähdyksiä 2-3 (Kramppeja ja nyrjähdyksiä, #2-3)
  • The Awakening of Sunshine Girl (The Haunting of Sunshine Girl, #2)
  • Red Kayak
  • No Safety in Numbers (No Safety in Numbers, #1)
  • The Haunting of Sunshine Girl (The Haunting of Sunshine Girl, #1)
  • Yhesti yhes seitsemännes paikas