Start by marking “Just Kill Me” as Want to Read:
Just Kill Me

Just Kill Me

Megan Henske isn’t one to heed warnings…

When the last letters in her alphabet cereal are D, I, and E, she doesn’t crawl right back into bed. When her online girlfriend won’t text a photo, she just sends more of herself.

And when she realizes that Cynthia, her boss at a Chicago ghost tour company, isn’t joking about making stops more haunted by killing people there, she do
Published August 30th 2016 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Just Kill Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Kill Me

Max Baker
I'm a huge fan of dark comedies and I was really looking forward to this book, because I really enjoy Selzer's writing style and his sense of humor. I thought Play Me Backwards was really good and I thought Sparks, written under the name SJ Adams was fucking fantastic, so I was really looking forward to Just Kill Me. Funny, dark, and gay? Hell yeah I'm there. But, after reading it I'm very...I don't know...underwhelmed.

The problem with this book, and this is evident very early on, is that it doe
Helen
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia, bi-books, 2018
There is nothing - I repeat, NOTHING - more frustrating than a book that started off amazingly and then had a disappointing ending!! I was gonna give this book a solid 4.5 and I was confident in that rating up until maybe the last 25-30% of the book, which is when things took a nosedive.

A quick summary of where things went so terribly wrong:
- cheating bisexual trope
- I understand that it kiiiinda happened for *plot reasons* but SURELY THERE WAS ANOTHER WAY OF HANDLING THIS (view spoiler)
Mississippi Library Commission
Megan Henske doesn’t believe in superstitions, being a mortician’s daughter and all. However, there are strange things happening in her home city of Chicago and her unusual summer job, a ghost tour guide, has her helping kill people. This is a great dark comedy and perfect for Halloween (or any other time of year you crave a good spook)!
Alissa
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not AS good as the Leon Harris books, but still worthy.

However... this book totally makes me want to drive down Blood Road at midnight so I can catch a glimpse of the so-called Satanists that supposedly used to gather there. Or at least encounter the alleged Ghost Dog you can supposedly hear barking if you stop your vehicle by the swamp and roll down the windows. And naturally I'd go home via the route that takes me over the Crying Child Bridge.
Sarai
I'm not sure what I think of this book. I started out really enjoying it. The main character is kind of a hoot, and I liked her a lot. I have my doubts about other characters. The mother was not really present. Her bosses, Cynthia and Rick, were interesting at first, and I continued to like Rick, but I'm less enthusiastic about Cynthia. SPOILERS from now forward. Cynthia performs mercy killings, and she ropes Megan into it. Megan is cool with it, and I have no issue with euthanasia, but it seeme ...more
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of SIX FEET UNDER
Shelves: amazing, read-in-2016
"Let us deprive death of its strangeness, let us frequent it, let us get used to it . . . To practice death is to practice freedom."
-MICHEL DE MONTAIGNE

"Usually, when a man shoots a woman, he attempts his own life. When a woman shoots a man, she seems to think that's enough for one day."
- NELISE CHILD (LILLIAN COLLIER), CHICAGO MURDERS
______________________

Words can not describe how much this book spoke to me. I loved the subject matter so much that I started visiting local graveyards and found
Cara
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Nope. This was not for me. The only reason it got 2 stars instead of 1 is because of the words and definitions used. Otherwise, the story didn't really flow, characters aren't fully developed, and the ending was pretty unsatisfying.
Jamaican Reader
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a book! I wasn't sure what to expect with this title but I was not disappointed at all. The pacing was slow but not dead, just slow enough to make you think you can take a break before slapping you in the face with the smallest new information that suddenly peeks interest. The constant mention of says/said/asks/asked was quite annoying, but very much looked over due to the story. Megan, our main character, was completely shown. We got her anxiety and paranoia (which affected me more than ne ...more
Kate
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, read-in-2016
A good novel to kick off my creepy Fall reading. the pacing was a bit slow at times, and I wasn't that invested in Megan's character. But I loved all the behind the scenes of the ghost tours and haunted Chicago. The ending was great and made up for a lot of other faults.
kate
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, funny
I loved this book - except the ending was incredibly abrupt and left me with more questions than answers. Very disappointing
Pop Bop
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Funny Thing About Death

So what does an independent, slightly snarky, and bright 18 year old do when she doesn't necessarily want to join the family funeral business, but also doesn't want to continue bagging groceries at the local mart? Why, she takes a job with a local Ghost Tour company. And so begins "Just Kill Me", which is, in fact, a "dark comedy".

Actually, I'd emphasize the "comedy" part. The "dark" part comes from the ghosts, tales of serial killers and killers' victims, crypts, ectopl
Madison Holt
I was decently pumped for this, given that I'm a dark comedy person, but it all felt a little lackluster for me...Megan was a decent character, I liked how she was bi and had a girlfriend and her quirk with the definitions was cute. Everything fell flat when I was more interested in Chicago ghost lore than the actual plot. The idea was pretty neat-o though, although the only thing I can say I HATED was Cyn's character.
((SPOILERS INCOMING)). Cyn was just trying too hard to be this badass type an
dg
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt
this is one of the best ghost books i've read in a while, and ghosts weren't even a big thing in it. it was more of the concept of ghosts. the idea of them? anyways it was great.

megan was a fantastic character - a bi 18 year old with an online girlfriend she's never seen and a love for writing weird disney/star wars cross over fanfiction that she posts from an anyonymous computer away from her house because she's so paranoid about it getting traced back to her. i loved it. the fact that she isn'
Tiger Oma
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
JUST KILL ME is a book that will appeal to the Goth and death obsessed readers out there. The book’s main focus is death or to be more specific, murderer. The plot started getting very creepy about halfway through the book. It switched from funny murder joking to hardcore death obsession. Don’t let the cover trick you into thinking this is a “sweet” book about death. The twist in the book will be just what the young adult readers will enjoy.

This book would be a great pre-unit read for historic
Jackie
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this as part of a grad school assignment where I had to pick a book from the GLBTG list. I'm not a big fan of "life lesson/moral" stories so I chose this one (I'm always a fan of ghost stories). This book was really good and entertaining. The writing is good and it held my interest. There's mystery in the book and humor. The relationship between Megan and Zoey is natural and doesn't seem overdone for entertainment or shock value.

The ending drove me nuts though! It is unresolved and while
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I initially liked the premise and the main character. A bi girl who grew up in a funeral home and has a girlfriend will forever bring Fun Home to mind. (Or Wednesday Addams, who I always loved). This is a story about some queer kids but it isn't ABOUT being queer. It's not a coming out story, and it's not a romance. It's a book where the weird kids get together and you can imagine yourself as a part of their circle. The Chicago history was interesting too. Early on I enjoyed the book as a fluffy ...more
Eric Svenningson
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting plot. I enjoyed Selzer's way of telling the story and the characters that he creates. It's easy to get attached to them and still be on their side even if they're clearly doing something wrong or immoral. Another one of the few books I read in one sitting because once I started it I just wanted to keep reading. My only complaint is the ending. While I'm pretty sure I know what he was hinting at it's really left up to the reader to decide what happened. It felt as though the stor ...more
Melleny
2.5 Stars ***

If you would like to see all my thoughts on this book, be sure to check out the review on my blog:

www.abooktropolis01.blogspot.co.za

But here is a snippet and overview of what I thought:

Overall, I think this book is a huge hit and miss for me. It could be that I had hyped this book up way too much. At the end of the day, I didn't really enjoy this book. I struggled to get into the writing and the plot was slow and boring. Nothing happened until the last one hundred pages. I constantl
Ashley Beane
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up at the library based on the cover. It ended up being a quick, enjoyable read. As someone who actually did live in a funeral home for part of my life, I found parts of it to be outside the realm of what would actually happen, but it didn't bother me too much. I'm not sure I would recommend it to others, but I enjoyed reading it.
Erin
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-cchs
Obviously, I'm not the intended audience for this book, but we got it into the library and the premise sounded good, so I dug in. This book was all over the place. While there were fun facts about the history of ghosts and murders in Chicago, and the author had obviously done a lot of research, it just fell flat for me.
Teddy
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, ya
Amy
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I literally read this in two days. What a fun and yet informative read! I'd recommend this to anyone with a twisted sense of humor and an interest in the macabre or atrocious, awful, dreadful, frightful, ghastly, grisly.
Gino Alfonso
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a fun book. Dark. But fun. I loved a lot of the Goth references. I only gave it three stars because I felt the ending felt a bit rushed and a little forced. Like the author ran out of time to finish it or was just hurrying to get it done. But mostly a very enjoyable and spooky read!
sunshine
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ooooh! This book was really fun and entertaining to read, though the first few chaps were boring the middle really got me! I liked the events and the conflicts, and for the very best I think the ending gave me spooks! I really liked this book.
Ella
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
OMG this was such a wonderfully morbid book! I loved it! Keeping you on your feet and second guessing the whole time. A must read for anyone who has a dark sense of humor!
Warning : the ending is NOT an ending :(
Louisa
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so creepy and awesome! I enjoyed reading it so much! But that ending, oh! I don't know what to make of it!
Victoria West
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The ending wasn’t the best, but overall an amazing read. Just heads up to be ready for a major cliffhanger.
Krisi
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not great. A real 'build up..... then totally let ya down' novel. Ending not good either; too ambiguous for my liking. You might disagree.
Emma
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq-books
Genre: paranormal/realistic fiction, YA
2 LGBTQ main characters: bisexual
1 LGBTQ side character: lesbian or bisexual (unknown exactly)

Importance of identities to plot: 2/5
Romance: 3/5
Coming out: no

Notes: Death and mass shooting TW. A good mystery book and I love the ghost stories in it. The ending was suspenseful and you’re left hanging on 2 of the book’s big mysteries and a sinking feeling in your gut.
Kim
Aug 25, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was provided to me as an uncorrected digital review copy by the publisher, via Edelweiss.

Megan’s hobbies include writing erotic fan fiction about Disney villains, looking up obscure words on the internet, and texting her long-distance girlfriend, who refuses to send any pictures or even talk on the phone. Now a new opportunity has fallen into her lap. Her old babysitter, Cynthia, has offered her a job on a ghost tour, and Megan can’t imagine a more awesome career. Then things take a tu
THE ENDING!!!/Zoey 2 8 Feb 17, 2017 08:06AM

• Greetings From Jamaica, Wish You Were Queer
  • Untitled
  • The Case of the Not-So-Nice Nurse (Nancy Clue & Cherry Aimless, #1)
  • The Other Ones
  • Water Born (The Drowning, #2)
  • Curioddity
  • All Good Children
  • Damned Strong Love: The True Story of Willi G. and Stefan K.
  • Because of Her
  • Library Mascot Cage Match (Unshelved, #3)
  • Cease and Desist (The IMA, #4)
  • Maximus
  • The Legend of Bold Riley
  • God Says No
  • Stumptown, Vol. 2: The Case of the Baby in the Velvet Case
  • Untitled (A Resurrection of Magic, #3)
  • The V-Word: True Stories about First-Time Sex
  • Wreck the Halls: Cake Wrecks Gets "Festive"
Adam Selzer blocked Goodreads on his computer for years but now he's on here, so let him have it. His first book was HOW TO GET SUSPENDED AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE (now available in a "Now With More Swearing") edition, his next one is PLAY ME BACKWARDS (for satanic young adults), and his best known is probably I KISSED A ZOMBIE AND I LIKED IT, a Twilight satire that was not marketed as a satire.

He also