Start by marking “This Languid Earth” as Want to Read:
This Languid Earth

Read Book

This Languid Earth

The greatest tragi-comic romantic sci-fi ghost story written this millennium.
Published August 19th 2014 by Ichabod Dozer Press

To ask other readers questions about This Languid Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Languid Earth

Start your review of This Languid Earth
Paula
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-best-reads
I received this book through First Reads.

It isn’t easy to review This Languid Earth – and I mean that in an incredibly good way.

First, because of the way the story unfolds, almost anything to be said with regard to plot becomes riddled with spoilers - and this is not a book I want to spoil for you. There’s a reason why the blurb released for the novel is only one sentence long.

Second, although the cast of central characters is small, the themes are huge, immense, infinite. Imagine each “theme”
S.A. Molteni
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This Languid Earth by Paul McCormack is one of the most uniquely different books that I have read in a very long time.

It pulls you in from the very start and just when you think you know what is happening in the story line, a curve ball is thrown which leaves you confused yet wanting to know more.

The story encompasses the life of Lyle, an normal guy with a normal office job going through the motions of bachelorhood - work, eat, gym, watch TV, sleep and repeat. Until one day, Nicola (a woman from
John
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
I got This Languid Earth as a review copy in order to do a review in this space. I had never read Paul McCormack before; he found me through The Indie View. This Languid Earth is a book that struggles to find a genre. It starts as a paranormal book, then gradually becomes a romance, and then, quite suddenly, it becomes science fiction. I worry that it will struggle to draw the appeal of a wide audience because of this.
The book begins with an introduction to Lyle, a rather typical cubicle
Mati
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

After finishing this book, I struggled a bit to put my thoughts into words. I skimmed some of the other reviews, good and bad, and found many of them already hit on the things I was feeling. The book did have potential, and I could tell there was a lot woven into this story. The problem was, there were some things that just didn't quite "click" to me. I was reading along, waiting for the "aha" moment. I didn't
Shana M. Garrity
Jul 20, 2014
Writocracy Reviews
is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
I hate writing these. First off you have to decide between using first or third person and neither seems particularly satisfying:

Paul McCormack hates writing his own bio.

See? It just seems off. But on the other hand first person seems either unnaturally familiar or pre-packaged.

I'm not that interesting. And even if I were, I wouldn't tell you. No offense, I'm sure you're great and all, but who