Start by marking “The Luthier's Apprentice (Violinist Detective Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Luthier's Apprentice (Violinist Detective Series, #1)

Read Book

The Luthier's Apprentice

(Violinist Detective Series #1)

When violinists around the world mysteriously vanish, 16-year-old Emma Braun takes notice. But when her beloved violin teacher disappears… Emma takes charge. With Sherlock Holmes fanatic, not to mentio
Paperback, Print Edition, 184 pages
Published August 15th 2014 by Twilight Times Books

To ask other readers questions about The Luthier's Apprentice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Luthier's Apprentice

Dianne
With a touch of magical fantasy, both of the musical and mysterious kind, Mayra Calvani’s The Luthier’s Apprentice is the perfect invitation for younger readers, heck ALL readers to enjoy the intrigue of another realm, the legend of Master violinist, Niccolo Paganini, and the adventures of three teens, one who may be destined to carry on the cursed magic of creating violins with soul, literally.

Emma is a gifted violinist, destined for a rewarding life in the world of music. She is also apprenti
Aurélie (Exploring Pages)
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who are looking for a different YA
Recommended to Aurélie (Exploring Pages) by: Netgalley
More reviews on my blog, Exploring Pages.
"They spent the next hour talking "violin talk"-harmonies, favorite composers and violinists, trills, pizzicato, vibrato and other techniques. Time just flew by. He was just as passionate as she was and she couldn't wait to see him playing Brahms in a tuxedo."
- Mayra Calvani, The Luthier's Apprentice

Thank you Mark My Words Publicity and Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book!

The Luthier's Apprentice surprised me in more ways than I imagined.
Annelise Lestrange
Review originally posted on The Book Adventures of Annelise Lestrange :)

I received this copy from Lola’s Blog Tours in exchange for an honest review. Let's go :D

The Story
Goodreads' Blurb

Vonnie
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read Mayra Calvani's children's books and have quite enjoyed them. When I learned that she wrote a YA book, I could not wait to read it. The Luthier's Apprentice was a very unique story with a mixture of fantasy and mystery. I was very entertained with this book.

As I mentioned before, the story was very unique. I would not think that a plot concentrating on violins would be exciting. I found myself fascinated to see how Calvani was able to wove a mystery tale of violinists disappearing w
Sue
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
I received a free copy of this book in return for an honest review.

The Luthier’s Apprentice is a unique, paranormal story. It is wonderfully written and keeps you turning the pages. It is fast paced and keeps you engaged with its gripping storyline and intriguing mystery.

The main protagonist is Emma, a young girl who is a highly talented violinist and destined to go a long way in her musical career. Emma is also an apprentice to her grandfather who is a luthier – a maker of violins. When her mot
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mayra Calvani’s “The Luthier’s Apprentice” is an imaginative short novel composed of elements diverse enough to appeal to a variety of readers. As the story opens, sixteen-year-old Emma Braun discovers that her beloved violin teacher, Monsieur Dupriez, has disappeared, as have several other violinists around the world. Determined to emulate her favorite literary hero, Sherlock Holmes, she sets about investigating, forming new alliances and uncovering centuries-old secrets about her family’s luth ...more
Petula
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received an A.R.C. of this but that does not colour my review in any way.

Emma is sixteen and studying hard to be a violinist. She is also learning how to make them from her grandfather, a master luthier. Something strange is happening. Several world class violinists have gone missing. The latest is Emma's tutor.
Cory is also a student of the same tutor. When Emma decides to investigate she bumps into Cory. He is a big Sherlock Holmes fan, and they team up to investigate together.

This is a love
Shannan Williams
This book was a delight to read for me. I didn’t know anything about violins (just that I love their sound) so it was really interesting to read a story based on them. The three main characters are Emma, Annika and Corey and it was great reading about their adventure of trying to save everyone’s lives, including their own. This book is full of fantasy and mystery and was a great read. I give this 5 starts and highly recommend it to lovers of this genre. I hope to read more by this author in the ...more
Johnnie-Marie Howard
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r2r
So far what I have read has really caught my attention, I really like what the story is about! The plot line is very interesting and fun. At first I didn't think I would like the story all that well, but as I'm reading it more and more I'm finding out that I really do like the story. The different POV is another great thing about this story it's actually really helpful as I'm getting almost 2 different stories in 1 but leading into the same thing.

***I received this story for free in exchange for
Doris
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*I was given a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.*

What do you do when your music instructor goes missing? You go al Sherlock on everyone and go out and see for yourself what is going on! Well.... at least that's what Emma does in this book!
She finds out that there is a world she never knew or could imagined existed!
She makes her mistakes but she keeps on going!!
Keep on the look out, I have a feeling that there could be more to this one!!
Loved it! It's different and engaging!
~Do
Victoria
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know there are some mixed reviews on this book but I actually really enjoyed it. I think the imagination needed to write this book was pretty awesome and I'm glad I took the time to read it. If you want an interesting, fast-paced, highly entertaining paranormal book this is the book for you!
Kathy Davie
I think Calvani has more work to do on this, and as she contacted me with a request to review her book, I'll be sending the review to her and not posting it.
Ashten
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review - The Luthier's Apprentice The Luthier's Apprentice
Published: May 10, 2014

Print Length: 190 pages
Publisher: Twilight Times Books

Book Description

Niccolò Paganini (1782-1840), one of the greatest violinists who ever lived and rumored to have made a pact with the devil, has somehow transferred unique powers to another… When violinists around the world mysteriously vanish, 16-year-old Emma Braun takes notice. But when her beloved violin teacher disappears… Emma takes charge. With Sh
Cameron
May 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Originally posted on the blog: What the Cat Read

I’ll be honest and admit that as I write this review, I’m struggling to describe my thoughts on this title. It was a quick, interesting read, and while I liked it, it didn’t wow me as much as I had hoped it would. To be honest, this was a “meh” read for me. It wasn’t fantastic, nor was it terrible, it was just “meh.” As such, for the sake of this review, I’m going to use a different format to share my thoughts with you about this novel. =^.^=

The Ch
Julie
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Luthier's Apprentice by Mayra Calvani is a 2014 Twilight Times Books publication. I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This YA novel is one of the most original and inventive premises I have come across in a good long while. For those who, like myself, are not all that educated on the world on violins, a Luthier is someone that makes the instrument by hand. This is what Emma's grandfather does and Emma is his apprentice. There are often times when Emma wonders
Kayla West
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After the sudden disappearance of her violin instructor and mentor from a locked room, Emma, a very talented musician, begins an investigation that will reveal family secrets she never thought existed. Secrets that involve her grandfather's unmatchable talent as a luthier, a strange locked room she is never allowed to go in, and a famous violinist from the 1800s who disappeared over 100 years ago. It will also reveal a magical inheritance that she will have to learn to control.

She will find alli
Kim
May 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Luthier's Apprentice is a short novel with a very interesting premise. Emma Braun is a sixteen-year-old American girl living in Brussels, a budding violin virtuoso. Her violin teacher , Monsieur Dupriez, has gone missing, as have several other violinists. She and her best friend Annika decide that they are going to investigate, eventually joining forces with Corey Fletcher, another of Monsieur Dupriez' students. The three of them stumble upon a truly imaginative mystery that they have to sol ...more
Jillian Lopez
Thank you to Mark My Words Book Publicity for providing me the review copy in exchange for this honest review.

When I first read the first chapter of this book, I was hooked. It seemed really interesting because the author already added her suspense on the first part of the novel. The idea of the book that the blurb provided made me want to know more as to what would happen to the protagonist, Emma. I couldn't stop myself from reading when I first started. The way Ms. Mayra Calvani wrote her boo
Samantha Kilford
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-sent-to-me
For more book reviews, visit my blog here

I hate writing reviews for books I don't enjoy.

The number one rule of reviewing is to always be honest with your opinions and I brutally am. You only need to see my review of The Murder Complex to know that I will really tear into a book if I don't like it -- even if it's a big favourite among the book community. As The Murder Complex was completely my own purchase and mistake, I had no qualms in ranting about why I didn't like it.

However, when you're gif
Terri M.
I was so excited about The Luthier's Apprentice by Mayra Calvani. The blurb for the book and the cover really caught my eye. I know about Beethoven and Mozart because I played piano when I was younger. So I ventured over to Wikipedia to learn a little about Niccolò Paganini on Wikipedia. And this bit of information caught my eye.

...his widely rumored association with the devil, the Church denied his body a Catholic burial in Genoa.

Ooo, this is gonna be a good one, I thought. Unfortunately, I'm s
Beverly McClure
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit I knew nothing about luthiers or violins before I read this novel. When I was in fifth grade a teacher was giving violin lessons and I so wanted to learn. My parents said we couldn’t afford it, but now, many years later, Author Mayra Calvani has given me a glimpse into the lives of both the violin teachers and their students, and much more.

THE LUTHIER’S APPRENTICE, a YA dark fantasy novel by Author Mayra Calvani, is set in present day Brussels, Belgium, not long before Halloween,
Brittney
*I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

In The Luthier’s Apprentice a short novel by Mayra Calvani violinists around the world are disappearing, that is to say only the male violinists are disappearing. When Emma’s violin instructor disappears, she is sucked into a mystery that has spanned over the generations. With the help of Corey, they discover a parallel world in which an evil sorceress plans to take over the music world, and they work together to st
Babel
What appealed to me about this book is the music element from a paranormal perspective. I'm drawn to stories that revolve around classical music, especially if there is a pianist or violinist involved.

In this case, violin virtuosi are the main theme. I've learned something new which is very enlightening. Instrument makers are known as luthiers. It sounds so mysterious and folkloric, that term is infused with historical connotations.

First reviewed on Literaria http://sede-literaria.blogspot.com

Ma
Heather Duff
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a lovely surprise for me, knowing absolutely nothing about classical music and violins, I found this book to be beautifully described as well as a joy to read. In fact so vivid is the descriptions I found myself dreaming about the characters last night!

The Luthier's Apprentice follows 16 year old Emma who lives in Brussels with her mother, following the disappearance of her violin tutor she finds herself in the middle of a mystery.

She finds out that her tutor is one of several viol
Melanie
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
(4.5 stars) This is a book that kept my attention from the beginning. Emma's violin teacher, Monseiur Dupriez, disappears, and she needs to discuss that and her new psychic abilities with her mom. Before she can, though, she learns that her mom needs to leave suddenly to visit her sister, Lili, leaving her with her grandpa, who exhibits bizarre behavior, especially when it comes to the locked room at the top of the stairs. She's determined to find out what's going on and recruits her friend, Ann ...more
Aditi ~ •A Thousand Words A Million Books
The sweet melodies, the harmonious notes that waft out into the thin air played by the renown artists of today- put to paper by the legends of the days bygone. Beautiful, regal and astounding- each tune; each rhythm. In here, however, in this alternate land, everything thrown together becomes a cacophony. A very haunted, eerie cacophony that could be melodious only to the trained year, but just noise to the opposite...

Right. *Enough boring people with your musical jabberings, Aditi* well! here i
Stephanie
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Talented violinists are disappearing. When Emma's violin teacher, Monsieur Dupriez also goes missing, Emma wants to investigate. Lately, Emma has been having some psychic visions and premonitions and these mysterious disappearances seem to have something to do with the supernatural. On top of the missing violinists, Emma's aunt Lily has fallen ill and her mother has to go to her, leaving Emma in the care of her Grandfather. Emma's Grandfather is a luthier-someone who makes violins, and is traini ...more
Nicky Peacock
Sep 24, 2014 rated it liked it
It is really refreshing to read a YA book that exists outside the usually vampires, werewolves and witches. This book gives a completely different lore and a unique perspective for readers to get into. I found the protagonist, Emma a little wet in places, but she is a teen and sometimes you do get a little unsettled and make wrong judgements when you’re at that age (I know I did!)

From a writer’s perspective, I think this reads more like a lower aged YA book. The content was easy to follow and th
Bri
Nov 07, 2014 rated it liked it
What I liked: I’m going to point out that the cover gave me a bit of chills because it looked kinda ominous in a way, like there was something that was going to happen that would be either pretty creepy or bad. I also liked the way things came together. Everything was given to us little by little and not unnecessarily dumped. I also liked the way the violinist were used in the story and how the characters were connected in the end. The characters were interesting and there was a really unexpecte ...more
Sara
Definitely original, The Luthier's Apprentice was a fast-paced read that really drew me in to the story. It was written in such a way that the plot kept on moving forward. I found myself completely engrossed and read the book in practically one sitting. That's how engaged I was as a reader when it came to this YA tale. There was always something going on or some new development, and before I knew it, I had come to the end of the book. I also loved the fact the story was set in Brussels, Belgium, ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 15, 2015 10:29AM
  • The Recruit (MTG Agencies #1)
  • Down Outback Roads (Outback Dust #2)
  • Psi Another Day (Psi Fighter Academy, #1)
  • Sidekick (Sidekick in the City, #1)
  • (Once) Again (Again, #2)
  • Red River (Tent City #2)
  • Dinotopia: First Flight
  • Innocence Lost (For Queen and Country, #1)
  • Forever Layla
  • Twisted
  • The Once and Future Geek (The Camelot Code #1)
  • Ghost Hold (The PSS Chronicles, #2)
  • Eve and Adam: Chapters 1-5
  • Will The Real Abi Saunders Please Stand Up?
  • Stone of Destiny (The Danaan Trilogy, #2)
  • Twisted Reflections (Adventures of Alexis Davenport #2)
  • Gimme Some Sugar (Pine Mountain, #2)
  • Gathering Shadows (Finding Sanctuary #1)

Mayra Calvani writes fiction and nonfiction for children and adults and has authored over a dozen books, some of which have won awards. Her stories, reviews, interviews and articles have appeared on numerous publications such as The Writer, Writer’s Journal, Multicultural Review, and Bloomsbury Review, among many others. When she’s not writing, reading, editing or reviewing, she enjoys walking he

Violinist Detective Series (2 books)
  • Paganini's Ghost (Violinist Detective Series, #2)