Start by marking “Recession Proof Graduate: How to Land the Job You Want by Doing Free Work” as Want to Read:
Recession Proof Graduate: How to Land the Job You Want by Doing Free Work

Recession Proof Graduate: How to Land the Job You Want by Doing Free Work

"Recession Proof Graduate is just epic for younger people starting out..."
- Noah Kagan, Founder of AppSumo

"...Or anyone who's starting over, or trying to reinvent themselves."
- Tim Ferriss, Bestselling Author of The 4-Hour Workweek

"Top 10 Audiobooks on Audible.com"
- New York Times, Associated Press (May 5, 2015)

Recession-Proof Graduate is a popular career guide that'
Published May 14th 2014 by Hoehn Zone Media (first published July 14th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Recession Proof Graduate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Recession Proof Graduate

Andrew Obrigewitsch
Oct 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Some interesting ideas, that no doubt have helped people. But it makes me wonder what the Author got a degree in that was so worthless as to only giving the skill to use Microsoft word. I'm pretty sure that people getting degrees in computer science, nursing, law, accounting, and pretty much anything that teaches highly technical and specialized skill is still considered highly useful.

My advice to kids going to college is to research out which degrees are in demand before getting one, as there
Jayne
Feb 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Honestly, Hoehn comes off as such a world-class douche from the very beginning that I found it very hard to take this book seriously. His advice is hardly ground-breaking. Go peddle your schtick to someone else, Tonto. The line of generic dude-bros clutching their econ degrees might be buying, but this lady sure isn't.
Sarah Harris
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
I know many readers found this to be abrasive. Whether you completely agree or not, it still gets you thinking about what's important to you and how you want to achieve it. There were many interesting points that might be relevant to college grads without work experience. It is important to develop relevant experience and learn how to market yourself.
Ali
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
it's more guidelines then a book
but it is based on real experience
Zachariah Lewis
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Even though it's a short book, it's an awesome read and can easily be finished in a single sitting! Definitely provides a range of tactics and overall advice that I will try to employ.
Emily Ross
I found this contained good advice if you want to be in a web, virtual or long distance job. If you don't want to be in one of those types of jobs, this was pretty useless.
Rasty
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
Good but not too good!
Michael
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read for starters and existing work force in job hunting
Tim Gillen
Enjoyable read. A little snarky. Interesting concept. In the end, useful in being nimble in a tough market. Not sure the reception will be as sure-fire as indicated in the book.

H.G. Gravy
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Downloaded this as a free audio book on a whim and decided to give it a listen while sitting in traffic.

Recession Proof Graduate's central ideas are nothing new if you've been paying attention to the job market after 2009. At the time, it must have been ground-breaking information. Essentially, its a matter of learning a technical skill and working at continuously improving your overall skill set. Once you've got the skills, offer your services for free to potential employers. In offering yourse
Jamie King
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
I feel bad for the poor souls who have been duped through the college system and legitimately need this. This helps me be empathetic to their plight but also echos many of the frustration I feel as an employer; the truth being after 15+ years of public education here at nearly $20,000/year these young people lack the most basic skills, manors and responsibility that is expected of any individual. Is it any wonder why our culture is such a rot? Perhaps I hold too much against the author for simpl ...more
Christine
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recession Proof Graduate: How to Land the Job You Want By Doing Free Work

By Charlie Hoehn

Narrated by Ray Chase

If you are a recent college graduate underwhelmed by the lack of good prospects available to you, this quick read will guide you to abandon conventional job-hunting methods in order to find stimulating and challenging work that won't suck your soul out of you.

The three most valuable points are:

get some valuable skills
prove your worth, and
create an online presence.

Kingshuk Mukherjee
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you're in college (or out), this book is your secret weapon as far as getting ahead in your career. I read this in 2 hours max- extremely quick read, but filled with so much awesome ACTIONABLE information.

Charlie is 26 or 27, cant remember. He's worked for some of the smartest guys online- he lives what he preaches. Take advantage of this.
Chiara Cokieng
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're hating your job and want to understand what it takes (mindset and skills) to build real skills that makes you add real value so you can get a real job... Read this. I recommend this all the time to people asking for advice on making friends with strong people and mentors and when it makes sense to do free work.
Scott Pierce
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Had I read this in college I would have reconsidered the way I approached internships. Instead of approaching companies offering not to pay me from the start, I would have been offering my services for free to companies who I really valued. This book has given me a lot of confidence for offering my services for free.
Jonathan Anderson
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
A counter-intuitive strategy with frighting short term prospects, but this is the kind of plan that the modern world demands of those who want to stand out in a competitive market that doesn't look good for newbies.
Wanda Hartzenberg
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazingly simplistic but not simple I can see why this book is so popular.
The author did an amazing job in summing up his pov and to make his points clear.

I seriously think this is a book EVERYBODY should read.
WaAr
Elizabeth
Aug 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio
Charlie comes off as a pompous self righteous elitist who goes so far as to tell all who don't follow his way of thinking as stupid and ridiculous. He has some good advise but overall his delivery sucks.
Constantin Minov
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
The best response which fits with the main idea of this book is the following Darwinian approach to evolution: “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that
survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change.”
William
Dec 11, 2014 rated it liked it
If I end up using the advice from this book and it works, I'll give it a higher reading. I am reluctant to believe it. It does sound appealing, though.
Greg
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
The ideas in this short audio book are very helpful for any one who is building his/her job portfolio. One can take advantage of the generous opportunity of potential employers to accept free work.
Dean Barber
May 05, 2015
Paul
May 19, 2016
Sarah Kate Watson
rated it did not like it
Jul 02, 2016

• Economics
  • The Old Testament
  • Understanding the Mysteries of Human Behavior
  • Höstdåd
  • Chaos, Desire & A Kick-Ass Cupcake (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #7)
  • You Tell Your Dog First
  • Practicing Mindfulness: An Introduction to Meditation
  • The Great Destroyer: Barack Obama's War on the Republic
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Secondary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #2)
  • Ender's Game Alive: The Full Cast Audioplay
  • The 7 Secrets of the Prolific: The Definitive Guide to Overcoming Procrastination, Perfectionism, and Writer's Block
  • Vulgar Tongues: An Alternative History of Slang
  • Never Get a “Real” Job: How to Dump Your Boss, Build a Business and Not Go Broke
  • Paperless: A MacSparky Field Guide
  • Beginning Linux Programming
  • Functional Programming in Java: Harnessing the Power of Java 8 Lambda Expressions
  • Worldly Wisdom: Collected Quotations and Aphorisms