Start by marking “The Mysterious Miss Mayhew” as Want to Read:
The Mysterious Miss Mayhew

The Mysterious Miss Mayhew

Tom doesn't need any more women in his life. He already has his hands full with his five year old daughter, an estranged wife who keeps blocking his efforts to get divorced and a mother who might be having an affair with the vicar. When Fran Mayhew turns up - years younger than him and with all the tact of a dinosaur with its backside on fire - she's just another tricky ...more
Published November 6th 2014 by Quercus Publishing (first published August 28th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Mysterious Miss Mayhew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mysterious Miss Mayhew

Start your review of The Mysterious Miss Mayhew
Agi
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite, 2014
"The Mysterious Miss Mayhew" is my second Hazel Osmond's book and I personally find it totally different to "Playing Grace". It is, in my opinion, although also about some very important issues, much easier, lighter read, written with twist and a touch, with a very unique storyline and full of sharp and dry humour. Just what I like most! As I have spotted this book on NetGalley ages ago I had a feeling it could be THIS read but nevertheless, have waited patiently for my PB copy to arrive.

And
Emma
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Writing this review with a very soggy face! I think this is my favourite from this author, I loved it. Perfect characters, especially little Hattie, she had me laughing out loud! Hazel Osmond always amazes me with her ability to create a unique world with very realistic characters and storylines that are so true to life. I love how she writes women, she strays away from stereotypes, thank God. Fran's diary entries were nothing short of GENIUS.
Leah
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Last year I read my first ever Hazel Osmond novel Playing Grace. It was quite a dark read, and I remember that I did quite enjoy it, so I was pleased to be offered a review copy of Hazel's latest novel The Mysterious Miss Mayhew. I loved the bright blue cover, with the chairs and table, and the flowers around the edges. It's cute and quirky, which I like. I couldn't wait to get stuck in to the novel and I'm very pleased to report that I loved it even more than I did Playing Grace.

As I said,
Kim
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, net-galley, kindle
When the 'Mysterious Miss Mayhew' moves into the long deserted cottage we start to wonder why she's arrived. Tom comes across her in an embarrassing situation and that litters their initial meetings. Fran loves his little girl- she sees the free spirit in her.

There are some very amusing encounters and a great cast of characters including Tom's family and his work colleagues at the magazine. They are always under tough constraints getting the latest issue to the printer on time and they need a
Shay
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I CAN'T EVEN PUT TOGETHER A COHERENT SENTENCE RIGHT NOW TO EXPLAIN HOW I FEEL ABOUT THIS BOOK. IT'S 2:51am I NEED TO SLEEP AND THEN I CAN WRITE A PROPER REVIEW ABOUT THIS STUPID BOOK

Review found here.
Linda Hardy
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is usually not my type of book, what I would call Chick Lit, but I actually found it to be very pleasant and delightful, Miss Mayhew comes across as seeming rather old-fashioned, she is only 24, she is not how I expect people her age to be but the story was enjoyable.
Harper
This book definitely had some good qualities. The main character (Tom) was a lovely guy, and his relationship with his daughter was absolutely adorable. The English countryside setting was lovely and the language and dialogue were at times, charming.

That being said, the book didn't really pull me in. I do find it hard to read a romance from an entirely male POV. I prefer it balanced between both main characters. I think being female, it feels foreign to be experiencing the romance from just that
Tasneem
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A delightful read.
Lynne
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Read this for bookclub - and a very unusual genre for me - a rom-com. It was warm and funny
Hazel
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is quite a large step away from what I normally read. I think it was the cover design that first drew me to it and then the description made it all the more appealing with the phrase “the tact of a dinosaur with its backside on fire” bringing a smile to my face and thoughts that this could be right up my alley for a change …. and it was.

The characters were excellent; a real mixed bag and totally believable - some of which I am sure I have come into contact with over the years although
Ashley
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This story is an enjoyable, hilarious family drama along the lines of Little Miss Sunshine, and its strength is in the vivid characters. The main character is Tom Howard, single dad of five-year-old Hattie and editor at a magazine in Newcastle, who's been trying to get a divorce from his fashion-obsessed estranged wife for the last three years. Steph isn't budging, and Tom is trying to be the best father he can to Hattie while also juggling several adult worries. While out at a county fair, Tom ...more
Ukgardenfiend
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Llamas are bad, we all know that, as they are member of the same family as camels, they have bad tempers. And spit. But their wool is very nice.
And then we have a true feminist in Hattie. She is lovely - a real spitfire and yes, women can do anything Hattie, but they do need to be big enough... as my middle grand-daughter knows when she was refused onto the climbing wall, but her sister was allowed. She didn’t weigh enough it seems... and here is a photo of her climbing!
Photo here...
Are British
Paris Baker
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Originally posted on Paris Baker's Book Nook.

Many thanks to Quercus Publishing for a review copy of this book via NetGalley.

I have not read any of Hazel Osmond’s books before, but the illusive title and pretty cover drew me in, and I’m pleased to say the book did not disappoint.

My favourite part of books, generally speaking, are the characters; and it was impossible not to fall in love with the characters in this book. Fran Mayhew is indeed mysterious, which is quite amusing for a woman who is
Rea Cobb
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have read all of Hazel Osmond’s previous books and I have loved each and every one of them because they are beautifully written and full of emotion. The Mysterious Miss Mayhew shows a different side to the authors writing and she shows that she can write comical novels as well as emotional ones too.

Fran is new in town and it isn’t long before she meets Tom who is raising his daughter alone. Tom and Fran seem to be bumping into each other more often but Fran is keeping her private life hidden
Anne
Oct 04, 2014 rated it liked it
A novel written by a female, but told through the eyes of the male lead character. Unusual, and maybe some authors couldn't pull it off, but in this case it really does work. Tom is a loveable character, and Hazel Osmond has created someone who most readers will fall a little in love with. He's not overly sweet and sentimental, or too-good-to-be-true, he's real, with his faults, but sincere and funny, and a little bit saucy too!

The author adds a little mystery with Fran's character, she's
Michelle
Nov 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Tom already has his hands full with the women in his life. His young daughter Hattie keeps him on his toes and his soon to be ex wife drives him nuts. When a woman named Fran Mayhew keeps appearing in his life, he falls in love with her weird personality and strange hobbies. He begins to wonder what her significance is...

With the right amount of humour and scandalous scenes, this novel is great in its own way. I really loved Tom's character and his relationship with his daughter. Being a single
Alice
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
*DISCLAIMER - I received this book from a First Reads giveaway on Goodreads.*

- This is quite far away from my usual genre as I am not usually a fan of books with middle aged protagonists as I cannot usually relate or enjoy the story in the same way. However, this book was a really refreshing read.

- The characters are very likeable and unique and quirky, without been unrealistic. All of the character relationships were well developed and I liked all the dialogue and humour from all the
Jamie
In the spirit of the not-really-all-that-mysterious Miss Mayhew, I'll list 10 things about this book.
1- this book is not really focused on the title character
2- it is entirely possible to be put off by phraseology
3- there are unnecessary one dimensional characters and gratuitous sex scenes
4- Tom is the best father and ex on the planet, period
5- it meanders boringly
6- Hattie is made of pure awesome childness
7- avoidable drama and pointless day to day walk throughs make up all the pages therein
Claudia
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved it!!

1/28/2015

Ok, I'm re-reading this book !!
I love the way she writes, I love the way she makes me laugh and..I love the way I don't want the book to end..ever!! I'm in a book depression/searching amazon and GR for something like my favorites to read..and nothing.. so I'm re-reading all my favorites. I don't want to review this book because the first time that I read I was a little anxious..lol..so I read very fast because I am a freaking lunatic, I want to know the end!!!!ok?
Just to
Penny
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
A pleasant enough, light summer read which was a Goodreads Giveaway. It was the kind of thing I needed to get me back into reading now I don't have so much going on - but there were irritations that I can't easily dismiss. I found it suddenly ran towards a conclusion whereas it had meandered through the majority of the story. Some of the minor characters were quite quirky but there were a few too many for my liking! I thought the descriptions of Tom's liaisons were somewhat unnecessary and ...more
Michelle
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. I REALLY enjoyed this. Slow burn is my favorite, so the slow development of Fran and Tom's relationship was great, and I really liked Hattie and her relationship with Fran. And Fran's lists were all SO hilarious and wonderful. I did REALLY hate Steph, and like, we're supposed to, but she was kind of despicable beyond the point I would expect for something as generally light and fun as this was. But despite the Steph drama, this was just really sweet and lovely and had such a great ...more
Elephas
I got confused especially at the start of the book. I gather that there is a fair in town..country-folk show or "county show" as the first chapter mention. I am not good with reading "place description." I do get it at the end of the chapter though.

I also got confused if it is Tom's talking or is it Fran's talking or is it Tom's inner thoughts talking at most parts of the chapter.

However, I do enjoy Fran's candid frankness in conversation. It was spot-on, witty and frankly, I think we need abit
Fluffychick
A fun, light hearted read with a quirky heroine who meets a decent (but not too perfect hero) but initially prefers to spend time with his amusing daughter! All wrapped up in a pretty setting with some silly situations and a suitably interfering ex.

Well written with a light and humorous touch – an easy weekend read!

Many thanks to the publishers and netgalley for my review copy.
Bobbie
Oct 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I was hoping for a bit of escapist chick-lit with this one, but it turned out to be a little bit too grown up for my tastes! Which is probably actually quite a compliment. I did enjoy the humour, Fran's lists and little Hattie, but as a whole it didn't quite keep me gripped enough throughout. My taste at fault though rather than bad writing, so please do give it a chance.
Rachel Gilbey
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Although I did enjoy this book, I found that at times it was struggling to hold my interest, and it to me just isn't Hazel Osmond's best book. I found the Miss Mayhew character a bit too odd for my liking, and I also struggled to feel an affinity with her.
Sue Moorcroft
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I love the structure and the humour - particularly when relating to Hattie, the tactless 5-year-old. She's just inspired.

I've enjoyed almost all of Hazel Osmond's books and this is probably my second favourite, behind Mr Wolfe.
Rachel
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absutely adore Hazel Osmond's books and this once certainly didn't disappoint.
Jo-anne Davies
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Brilliant book, first one of Hazel Osmonds that I had read, which promptly made me want to read the rest of her work. Some parts I laughed out loud (quite a few parts actually).
Fiona Erlandsen
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Thank goodness I read your books in what seems to be reverse. Whose afraid of mr wolf is streets away from this . A brilliant writer but not with this one. Check her other stuff.
Tiina
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting characters. Storyline was not as straightforward as in many romantic novels. A good summer read!

• Almost a Bride (Destination Love, #2)
  • Love You, Love You Not
  • After the Rain (Destination Love, #4)
  • Honeymoon Hotel
  • My Lover, His Brother & Me...
  • Swept off Her Feet
  • It Started With a Tweet
  • Finding Felix
  • Perfect Match
  • The Single Mums' Mansion
  • Fire (Tales of Elemental Spirits, #2)
  • The Runaway Princess
  • The Little Lady Agency and the Prince (The Little Lady Agency, #3)
  • Oh Crumbs
  • The Finishing Touches
  • Who Needs You, Duckworth-Lewis?
  • The Queen of Wishful Thinking
  • What Fresh Hell
I live in Northumberland; I'm married with two teenage daughters and for twenty years I've been an advertising copywriter. I have a clean driving licence, (apart from where I dripped nail varnish on it) and am not yet at that age where I've started to grow a moustache without realising it.

How did I get into writing stories and books? Partly because of a woman's magazine and partly because of a man
“Words on stone are much more upsetting than words on newspaper. There is something so final about them; a name: some dates, a trite piece of verse, that's all you get for a whole life.” 0 likes