Start by marking “Riot of Storm and Smoke (Threats of Sky and Sea, #2)” as Want to Read:
Riot of Storm and Smoke (Threats of Sky and Sea, #2)

Riot of Storm and Smoke

(Elementals: The Threats of Sky and Sea #2)

War draws closer, like a tide to the shore.

Bree and her friends have escaped the clutches of the Egrian King, but their troubles are far from over. Still reeling from the secrets that drew new breath when her father took his last, Bree sets off for the safety of Nereidium-- the kingdom she's just learned is hers.

But with the King's ire at its peak and war a certainty, Nere
Published August 18th 2015 (first published August 17th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Riot of Storm and Smoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Riot of Storm and Smoke

Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
Who says all sequels have to go through second-book syndrome? Riot of Storm and Smoke surely didn't. It was still as engaging and easy to get into as the first!

One of the main things I really want to praise about this book is that I didn't have to worry about forgetting many details, which, obviously, I did. But Jennifer makes it easy for us to return to the world she created with insertions of small, subtle, but incredibly helpful recaps. Kudos to you, lady--that's a difficult feat you've conqu
Crazy4Books
Oct 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-books
This was a great sequel to Threats of Sky and Sea. It was just as good as the first if not better. The ending of the first book was so dramatic I couldnt wait to read the sequel. I liked how they had a clear goal they were trying to accomplish throughout this book. The plot was pretty straight forward but it kept my attention and went by quickly. I enjoyed how we got to see different perspectives. This series has a lot of amazing characters but I wish some of them were a bit more fleshed out.

I l
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, author, review
Thanks to Jennifer Ellision for giving me this book to review.

Bree and her friends Aleta and Tregle have escaped the King and with the help of the Underground set of to the safety of Nereidium. However, Bree has a secret, that she is the rightful ruler of Nereidium and not Aleta but she cannot reveal this as Aleta would be a better Queen than her. With the King furious at Bree and Aleta’s escape, Prince Caden tries to rally his people against his tyrant father. However, no one is safe as the Kin
Sylvia Mercedes
Following their narrow escape at the end of book one, Bree and friends plunge right into another adventure. Bree is still suffering the repercussions of her father’s noble choice . . . and trying to process the secrets he shared with her. It turns out, Bree is far from the ordinary tavern-keeper’s daughter. She is in fact a dispossessed princess . . . and if she wants to save her kingdom, she’s going to have her work cut out for her!

Bree and Prince Caden (who’s just as dreamy as a reader can hop
Shelley
*Source* NetGalley
*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5-4

*MY Thoughts*

Riot of Storm and Smoke is the second installment in author Jennifer Ellision's Threats of Sky and Sea trilogy. This story picks up immediately where the first book left off. Bree, Aleta, and Tregle have escaped King Langdon's castle leaving many unanswered questions and bodies in their wake. For Bree, things are even more complicated after a shocking confession by the man who was thought to be her father. Bree was never wa
Dark Faerie Tales
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Wonderful sequel that I couldn’t put down! With its captivating world, cute romance and non-stop action this is sure to be a hit with all YA fantasy fans!

Opening Sentence: We leave the body in the tunnel and I try not to imagine my father lying there—alone and rotting away.

The Review:

Bree is lucky to be alive. She along with her friends have escaped the clutches of the evil king of Egrian. But their freedom came at a steep price, Bree’s belo
Pili
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a fantastic middle book! It's got everything that a second book in a trilogy should have: plot development, action, character development, new conflicts and new characters!

Riot of Storm and Smoke starts right were Threats of Sky and Sea left us, but Jennifer does a very good of jogging our memory to bring us up to speed with lil nudges here and there, but nothing too repetitive that could bother someone binge reading the books.

The book is told in (mostly) alternating dual POVs, Bree and Ca
S. Usher Evans
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This ones diverts away from action and palace intrigue into your more typical epic fantasy political chess game with armies and traveling across continents. I did miss the interaction between our main characters and there were a few instances where a reader with a good memory will remember something the character didn't. Overall, it moved the plot along, and ended in another spot that sent me headed to the next book.
Kara
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
my rating is 3.5 stars

Sequels are a tricky thing, but it satisfied me that this book starts off exactly where Book 1 ended so no time has passed and we can immediately see what happens next as Tregle, Aleta and Bree flee Langdon's castle. The writing is soooo well done, the story keeps you intrigued and I was eager to see where Bree's journey led her next.

I did not connect with this story as much as I hoped to, it was darker, more intense, innocence and hope seem lost, and some profanity used as
Nicole Hewitt
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

This second book in the series picks up right where ToSaS left off – with Bree and her friends fleeing the king. Bree is burdened with new secrets and finds that her power over water is more unreliable than ever, which makes her escape far more difficult than she had anticipated!

What Fed My Addiction:

No second book syndrome.
I felt like this second book was easily as strong as the first, possibly even slightly stronger
Floryie
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*I received a free copy from the author for an honest review*

A very good continuation to the first book in the series. But this too has only whetted my appetite for the world and characters abounding in the pages of this book.

The stormy book cover is very appropriate to the mood of the beginning of the book. Bree is angry and sad and prone to moody behaviour in the first part while Caden is busy making name for himself among his people as a people's Prince. Bree comes out a bit different from h
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
After the hard-hitting death of her father, Breena and her friends Aleta and Tregle escaped the Egrian King while Prince Caden led rallies all throughout the kingdom to express dismay and raise rebellion against his own father. Finally, Bree learned that Nereidium is the kingdom that is rightfully hers. But part of her didn’t want to claim the throne.

The second book in the Threats of Sky and Sea series is more impacting, a feat that usually isn’t achieved in sequels. Bree stood out in this secon
Emma
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book lived up to the first one very well. The characters were still amazing and fun, the use of magic was well written and the learning of it was good. The action was good, very descriptive and made perfect sense.

I loved how the secrets were revealed, like a slow drip. Kept tension and suspense very well.

The ending left a little to be desired though, very sudden, felt like it ended mid-scene, I know cliff hangers are common but this was even more drastic.

Very much looking forward to the ne
Tamara
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was veryyyy disappointed with this book. I had anticipated this book for a while. I'm not happy in how it turned out. The very end, though was good. But I mean very end.

This book could have been easily narrowed down to a few chapters, maybe half the book. But as a whole book, it was slow and dreadful.

I do plan to read book 3. I'm just not as excited for it as I once was for the series.
Cintia
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
BookLoversLife
I started this audio so many times over the last few months but always ended up putting it aside, to tell the truth, I'm not even sure what it was that didn't grab me this time. I think maybe it was a case of the narrator and the fact that I found Bree to be different than she was in book 1, but I eventually decided that I would finish it no matter what, and I'm glad I did!!

Anyway, the plot, for the most part, was kind of fast paced. By that I mean that Caden's POV was fast paced but Bree just
Jennifer Y.
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My Rating: 4 Stars

*I received a free digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*

Riot of Storm and Smoke picks up exactly where book 1 left off as if they were really one book rather than two. In this installment, Bree and her allies are on the run trying to get to safety as the King searches for them. We get both the point of view of Bree and Caden, the King’s son, which I found interesting since Threats of Sky and Sea focused on Bree’s POV. Bree is haunted by the events from t
Teigan
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
First off, that cover is gorgeous.

A Riot Of Storm and Smoke sucked me in with it's constant action and fast pace. I genuinely enjoyed every part of it. The hardships that each character endured pulled on my heartstrings and compelled me to continue turning each page despite my sleepy eyes. I couldn't help but feel an admiration towards every one of the characters, so strong-willed and indomitable-- a team to be reckoned with, with or without their Elemental gifts.

As the second book in the seri
Lígia Bellini
May 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
That was a slow reading! The story got better at the end, actually! I still think the first book was much more exciting! On "Riot of Storm and Smoke", Bree acts without thinking in a few moments on the story, and as always, because of her reckless action, she brings problems not just to her, but also to her friends. She kept for herself, the fact that on this book, she couldn't use her powers! The whole book she is powerless! Her friends are counting on her, but she hide it from them, while talk ...more
Jantine
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I received a free copy through Netgalley, in return for an honest review. A review of the trilogy as a whole will appear on my blog: http://www.lezendleven.blogspot.nl

I loved the way this second book didn't read like a book to get book #1 and book #3 together. It is connected to the first book with subtile flashbacks, without the annoying 'I remember, for the people who haven't read the previous installment ...' Meanwhile, the characters got even better and especially more balanced and real.
Jennifer Ellision
May 27, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Bloggers! Booktubers! Review e-copies of RIOT are now available. If you'd like one, please e-mail me (jenniferellision@gmail.com) with your preferred format: epub or mobi :)

Now available as an audiobook! Audible codes for review available to interested reviewers.
Marta
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
review here
Karla
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book had me on the edge of my seat. Those revalations, the action, the romance. Nail biting stuff, loved it
Eve (Functioning Insanity Reviews)

Rating: 4.5 Stars

We pick up pretty much where the last one left off. I did a double check and I read book one in April of last year which is a while. I had been somewhat concerned I might have forgotten some things but I worried for nothing. As soon as I started listening it all came back to me. Bree, Aleta, and Tregle are on the run in the secret tunnels fleeing after Lady Kat had just killed Bree’s Da and in turn Bree had used her water throwing ability
Ria
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Riot of Storm and Smoke did not dissapoint. Life got in the way so I’ve been away from my big beautiful book life! I am back! It had been so long since I read the first book in this series I could not remember the details but I did remember how much I loved it!. I was able to connect to the characters right away and was introduced to several new ones. It took me a bit into the book to get my footing but once I did I was back in an elemental world full of adventure!
The Story, corrupted by power T
Lana
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The 2nd book in Threats of Sky and Sea finds our heroes fleeing for their lives as they do their best to evade capture by King Langdon of Egria. He who has forever been power crazed, has now truly gone over the brink into madness and as Bree, Aleta and Tregle flee towards Nereidium Prince Caden is imprisoned by his own father. The trip they make across the desert is not a joke and they are fighting for their lives more than once, whilst Caden does his best to gather an army of volunteers who wan ...more
Becks
Jun 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: literally nobody ever, the trashcan, maybe
IMMEDIATE dnf for me upon realizing the author must have had a stroke or something, because nothing else explains the sudden switch to multiple first person perspectives in this book. The last book wasn't like this, and it makes NO SENSE to suddenly decide in the middle of a series to change to this style, which, by the way, is only ever used by weak writers. I'm so disappointed. Trash!
Lyssa Falcao
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read

I read the 1st book and almost put it down. It became much better. I was apprehensive to read the 2nd book but so glad I did. This was so much better that I can't wait to read on. This book is worth a read. Love the ending and makes you want to find out what happens next.
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Jul 24, 2015 11:32AM
Goodreads Librari...: Updated cover 8 26 Jun 16, 2015 10:52AM
Goodreads Librari...: Uploaded wrong cover! Help please! 3 74 Jun 05, 2014 07:25AM

• Monarch (War of the Princes, #3)
  • Elodie of the Sea (Eldentimber, #5)
  • Chameleon: The Awakening (Book 1 of The Forest People)
  • Moondance of Stonewylde (Stonewylde, #2)
  • Sword
  • The Blind Wish (The Jinni Wars, #2)
  • Fire & Shadow (Hand of Kali, #1)
  • Adapted for Film
  • Fifteen (The Dreamwalker Diaries #1)
  • Night Secrets (Avador, #1)
  • Rose and the Lost Princess (Rose, #2)
  • Chains of Water and Stone (The Griever's Mark #2)
  • When My Heart Was Wicked
  • Crossing the Ice (Ice #1)
  • Of Sea and Stone
  • The Academy Alignment (The Academy #1)
  • The Forbidden Heir (The Four Arts, #2)
  • Stolen Futures: Unity, the Complete Trilogy
Jennifer Ellision was born and raised in South Florida and lives in perpetual fear of temperatures below 60F. She spent a great deal of her childhood staying up past her bedtime with a book and a flashlight. When she couldn't find the stories she wanted to read, she started writing them.

She has an OTP, loves character analysis, and is a master of the fangirl flail, with a particular soft spot for

Elementals: The Threats of Sky and Sea (3 books)
  • Threats of Sky and Sea (Threats of Sky and Sea, #1)
  • Fall of Thrones and Thorns (Threats of Sky and Sea, #3)
“Anyone ever tell you that you’re too damned stubborn for your own good?” [...]
With my sweet disposition? I’ve never heard such a thing.”
0 likes