Jump to ratings and reviews

Shake Hands with Yourself: A Peacemaker's Guide to Happiness & Inner Peace

"Shake Hands with Yourself," (aka "SHWY"), resonates with sound wisdom on all facets of life by way of a narrative that takes the reader on an engaging journey of self-discovery. A little girl, the product of the reconciliation of her parents, grows up in a tempestuous family dynamic that brought out the very best in her natural skills as a born peacemaker. Throughout the next five decades, numerous hardships and heartaches do not damper her happy, optimistic, and positive nature.

The SHWY Philosophy was born out of the Author's indomitable spirit for all things positive and loving. Despite many trials and tribulations, her infectious happiness led the way to teaching others on how they too could overcome fear, frustration, anger, resentment, worry, unhappiness, grief, depression, and all other negative energy forces that, left uncontrolled, smother happiness and inner peace. With innovative techniques like "Positive Indifference," the Author helps bring out the happiness and inner peace that lie dormant within you.

"Shake Hands with Yourself" is indeed, as its subtitle touts, “A Peacemaker’s Guide to Happiness & Inner Peace.”

311 pages, Kindle Edition

First published May 9, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Charmaine Smith Ladd

2 books12 followers
Born at the perfect time and place (the middle child); prime time for one who had the genetic disposition to become a peacemaker and lover of all mankind; I've helped people for over four decades overcome their problems with fear, frustration, anger, disappointment, grief, and despair.

The ups and downs of childhood were met with the same determination and happy-go-lucky demeanor that made me the neighborhood's "Little Miss Sunshine." I loved everyone! I loved life! I loved adventure!

As an active, full-time liveaboard sailor of eleven years, one learns how to be self-sufficient and bond with a world beyond the terra firma beneath the feet of most. Whether sand or grass, my barefeet are comfortable anywhere with anyone. Everyone is a brother or sister to me. I have danced with the poorest of the poor and the richest of the rich, and brought out happiness in them all--and in the same manner! We are all much more alike than we may think.

My life has been one of chronic sickness and surgeries without complaint. Born with spinal stenosis, I never let it or other problems stop me. I played tournament tennis at a level most dream about and either won or placed in over forty local area tournaments. I had no idea, though, what it was doing to my body.

For those who want happiness, especially for "the runts of the litter," the world is not perfect, but you can still attain inner peace. Any small slip up, and my own personal philosophy (which I coined as SHWY "Shake Hands with Yourself"), would always get me back on track. My life consists of the choices I make: making peace with myself, my world, and all those in it. I'm all about LOVE, PEACE, ACCEPTANCE, and UNDERSTANDING.

A mother of two incredible children: a brilliant, handsome, and loving son who transitioned to destinations unknown in 2005 and a daughter who is a beautiful, intelligent, doting offspring and devoted wife and mother still living on this earth. The rewards from my children include three grandchildren: two by my son and one by my daughter (15 years apart!). It just shows us how life goes on even after loss. Grief and acceptance of the things we cannot change allows us to maintain gratitude for what we DO have.

Married to the most wonderful man in the world for over forty-two years... simply said, he completes me. We are still best friends and lovers. LOVE heals everything. My knight in shining armor he remains to be to this day.

All things in life come down to love and understanding. But first, you must understand yourself. You must SHWY.

But there are always bumps on the pathways of every life... even those that seem the most wonderful. And those trials and tribulations are what test you to see if you really are the peacemaker you think you are. I stood that test time and time again and now, with SHWY, I share some of it with you.

I know you will LOVE "Shake Hands with Yourself" (A Peacemaker's Guide to Happiness & Inner Peace). SHWY will become your Go-To Guide when you need that pick-me-up or a reminder of how wonderful life really is. It is a life changer for so many.

My next book will be a tiny book of "Charmainsims." Little sayings of mine that others have come to know and love via my sailing blog and through SHWY and want to carry with them. I do hope you'll be waiting for it!

After that... possibly ADVENTURE! "The Hurricane Chronicles." What we can do when our lives in our hands. And that IS every day, whether we realize it or not!

As soon as my latest surgery allows me to travel comfortably, I'll be out booksigning and will keep you informed. Hoping to meet each and every one of my readers!

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
6 (100%)
4 stars
3 stars
2 stars
1 star
0 (0%)
No one has reviewed this book yet.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.