Start by marking “Rai, Volume 1: Welcome to New Japan” as Want to Read:
Rai, Volume 1: Welcome to New Japan

Rai, Volume 1: Welcome to New Japan

(Rai #1)

The year is 4001 A.D. - led by the artificial intelligence called "Father," the island nation of Japan has expanded out of the Pacific and into geosynchronous orbit with the ravaged Earth below. With billions to feed and protect, it has fallen to one solitary guardian to enforce the law of Father's empire - the mysterious folk hero known as Rai. They say he can appear out o ...more
Paperback, Trade, 112 pages
Published October 28th 2014 by Valiant Entertainment, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Rai, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rai, Volume 1

James DeSantis
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A different, yet kind of cool, look into the future of Japan.

So it's the year 4001. Everything is obviously super advance, looks slick, and Japan of all places looks stunning. Now there'a crime committed and it's the first one in a very long time. Rai, the protector of Japan, decides it's time to hunt down the person(s) behind the act and bring them to justice. However the deeper Rai gets into it the darker the future is for the robotichumaniod thingy (sorry I'm still not clear what he is). Wil
Nicolo Yu
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comixology
This is one good looking book. Artist Clayton Crain has finally found a publisher willing to wait out his slowness in composing his meticulous pages for a well written and well drawn comic book. Thing is, four issues isn't enough for writer Matt Kindt to give this reader a satisfying read. Still, it works out well, comic books are supposed to make you want for more and this was a great example of it.
Fahim Ahmed
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Let me just get this out the of the way first. Clayton Crain's art is freaking brilliant! As soon as I read the first few pages I realized that his watercolor style is perfect fit for a story with such a heavy sci-fi bend. After all, 'Rai' is set in 'New Japan', an island in geosynchronous orbit floating over the Pacific in the year 4001 AD. What immediately hit me were the terminologies used as well as the different 'sectors' that exist in this far future version of Japan. You'll immediately re ...more
Blindzider
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Maybe 2.5 starts because I like Crain's artwork.
47Time
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-scifi
The artwork is as otherworldly as the setting for the story. The high level of detail can be confusing, but it just means you get to admire it more to figure out what's going on. The story is a solid scifi 1000 years in the future when Japan is a utopian man-made satellite in Earth orbit. Still, it has its terrorist groups, so a strong individual is sometimes needed to handle them. He is Rai and he has been living a lie his whole existence. This lie can destroy him or Japan.

The story starts with
Marion
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-book, 2017
The font was slightly too big. I thought everyone was shouting until I realised all the pages had the same size font.

The art is interesting and nothing I had really seen before. It's clearly computer generated, but it has a depth that sometimes digital drawings lack (they look very cold and unfinished, in my opinion). Here it's really interesting. But I would guess either you love it, or hate it.

The story is definitely compelling. I'm really curious to read the next volumes to see where everythi
Devero
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Il primo Rai della vecchia Valiant, quella di Shooter, era qualcosa di estremamente interessante ma legato a Magnus Robot Fighter, personaggio che non è parte del nuovo universo Valiant. Questa versione ha diversi spunti interessanti e idee intriganti, lo stile grafico è decisamente azzeccato per quanto non sempre di facile lettura; la storia è un poco telefonata ma promette ottimi sviluppi.
C. Varn
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4001 AD done right

While the attempt to launch the Eternal Warrior into the role of Magnus Robot Hunter fell flat, this relaunch of Rai in 4001 AD is quite good. Recapturing a cyberpunk, Neo-Tokyo aesthetic in the age of Apple is hard to do and Mindy does it. Paranoia mixes with slick production value really well here. A very promising title.
Luke Kondor
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you don't expect to love a futuristic samurai cop uncovering mysteries in a floating city called New Japan in the year 4001.

But dammit ... by the end of the arc I was really digging it. I love how it ties into the whole Valiant universe whilst being so far off to the horizon.

And Silk??? Guy's got game.
Tomas
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Story of this book is not something that will blow your mind but it is worth reading it. What really sets this book apart is well thought future world and the art. Every page is just awesome. I picked this book up because of futurism and art. And both of those can be found in here in abundance
Wing Kee
Jun 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
A mess of a book.

World: The art and colors are interesting but at the same time frustrating. The sense of motion is good but the art is a bit too messy making for a confusing read when readers don't really see what's happening. Panel to panel sometimes disconnects making for a choppy visual read. The world building here is creative and very Cyberpunk but it's told in such a nonchalant way that it leaves readers scratching their heads (this is also the case with the story and characters). Choppy.
Chris Lemmerman
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the year 4001AD, the country of Japan has taken off, and now floats in space above the Earth. Run by the enigmatic Father, and protected by Rai, a cybernetic samurai dude, all is perfect...until the first murder in 1000 years brings everything Rai believes about Father and his existence into question.

To set up an entire world as well as tell a compelling story in just 4 issues is a tall order, and I've never been Matt Kindt's biggest fan, but he does a pretty good job in this volume. There ar
Yon Nyan (BiblioNyan)
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
⚔ Story takes place in 4001 A.D on the island of Japan, which is now in geosynchronous orbit around Earth, with heavy cyberpunk atmosphere & future noir elements to plot & setting.
⚔ The main character's motives are quite reminiscent to Sephiroth's motives, particularly in a psychological way. Depending on how it's developed, could lead to amazing character growth in future instalments.
⚔ The artwork is absolutely stunning. Details can be quite overwhelming, & at times very jumbled.
⚔ T
Drown Hollum
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rai is great stuff. A 90s style cyberpunk Japan hovers over a scorched Earth, living blissfully under the watchful eye of emperor/deity Father. Rai is Father's law keeper, the most recent in a line of livewire-construct-humans, born to uphold Japan's law, and punish the three unforgivable crimes. Each human is given a 'positron companion' in order to curb the urge to procreate, nobody dies until they are ready, and the written word of ink on wood pulp is a legend and holy experience in its rarit ...more
Britt Freeman
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
this feels like a much matured version of Rai over the valiant hero from the 90's. the book maintains the hidden turmoil of the character with the same name, while updating it for a world full of post social media paranoia. the digital artwork, while off-putting at first, grew on me and feels appropriate for the setting, which is 100% what i'd expect a floating in low earth orbit in the year 4001 Japan would look like. one thing i did love about the valiant of the 90's was how each book felt con ...more
Anchorpete
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book has interesting concepts, but its execution left me wanting.

One of the comic book writer Pet Peeves is to limit the amount of dialogue within a single word bubble. also, you should limit the amount of word bubbles per panel. This book is filled with a ton of exposition dialogue, and then when the action scenes occur, you are extremely confused about what is actually going on. A good comic should be the inverse of this.

What I did enjoy about this book was seeing what the modern day Vali
Adam
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was pretty enjoyable. The story set out to accomplish something I haven't seen done elsewhere. It has a Blade Runner vibe to it. I really enjoyed the characters and the artwork was gorgeous. It was always easy to tell what was happening in the panels. The story ended on a twist that left me wanting more!
Tar Buendía
Sep 20, 2016 rated it liked it
¡Mi primer cómic de Valiant!

No esperaba para nada empezar con Rai, pero las circunstancias me lo plantaron en bandeja y no le iba a decir que no.

Lo he disfrutado mucho, ha despertado mi curiosidad. Tanto el concepto como el arte son buenos. Tiene algunos altibajos, el principio es demasiado "voy a explicarte todo esto", pero a medida que se va asentando me ha ganado.
Chris
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great mystery that hooks its reader from the beginning. I was fully immersed in this new world.
Arlomisty
Sep 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I have to say this was pretty entertaining and I will probably get the second volume in the series!
James
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comicbooks
Excellent artwork and an innovative view of the future.
tony dillard jr
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Set in the year 4001, Rai was an interesting mix of sci-fi futurism, ancient Japanese lore and all the twists and turns expected by from Valiant Entertainment.

There's a character known as Bloodshot and this book's title character is somehow tied in. One might think that you need to have a prior knowledge of Bloodshot in order to enjoy this book. But in all honesty, the opposite is true. The less you know or think you know, the better.

The crux of this story is that Obadiah Konishi, the latest Ra
Sean
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans
I've hardly read any Valiant books before but have enjoyed the work of the creators here so I thought I would give Rai a shot. Matt Kindt crafts an interesting world in the far future but the initial book is limited by the massive amounts of info the readers have to digest and the goofy future speak that always seem to happen in future books. The story is interesting though and I think it could lead to more. Clayton Crain's art is a perfect match for this sci-fi world. The hyper details are amaz ...more
Brad
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really more of a 3.5. The art is a bit odd but consistently interesting. There are a number of very interesting ideas and concepts thrown around in this first volume. It can get a bit muddied, but I hope they can be fleshed out in vol. 2.
Courtney Nicole
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
The story felt very fast and that information was just being told at me instead of shown to me.
Also, I didn’t care much for the internal dialogue/ “talking to father” or the character Lula really.
ISMOTU
Matt Kindt is a comic book creator whose work I enjoy and Clayton Crain's art is quite lovely but something in this story just didn't click with me the way I'd expected. The intrigue and world building were interesting enough but I can't say I'm dying to read the next volume.
Tiago
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ninety nine percent limewire, one percent human spark, all awesomeness.
Paxton Holley
Not bad. Cool concept, but just overall not as engaging as I'd hoped.
Joyce
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
It would have been nice if more time was taken to flesh out the plot. Beyond that the art work is great and the characters are interesting.
Onyedikachukwu  Nwosu

• Quantum and Woody, Volume 1: The World's Worst Superhero Team
  • The Death-Defying Doctor Mirage
  • Invisible Republic, Vol. 1
  • Bloodshot Reborn, Volume 1: Colorado
  • The Russia Shift (The Fuse, #1)

Rai (5 books)
  • Rai, Volume 2: Battle for New Japan
  • Rai, Volume 3: The Orphan
  • 4001 A.D.
  • Rai, Volume 4: 4001 A.D.