Start by marking “Nailbiter, Vol. 1: There Will Be Blood” as Want to Read:
Nailbiter, Vol. 1: There Will Be Blood

Nailbiter, Vol. 1: There Will Be Blood

(Nailbiter #1)

"Where do serial killers come from?" and why has Buckaroo, Oregon given birth to sixteen of the most vile serial killers in the world? NSA Agent Nicholas Finch needs to solve that mystery in order to save his friend, and he'll have to team up with the infamous Edward "Nailbiter" Warren to do it.
Joshua Williamson and Mike Henderson deliver a mystery that mixes Twin Peaks wi
Published October 14th 2014 by Image Comics (first published October 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Nailbiter, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nailbiter, Vol. 1

Anne
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Anne by: Mike
3.5 stars...perhaps a full 4?

Maybe I just don't read enough horror/serial killer stuff, but I seem to like this one a lot better than most of my friends. And that may be because I don't like scary serial killer stories, and (they're right) this wasn't scary. Even the gross stuff wasn't too bad! I mean, it's icky that this guy ate people's fingernails down to the bone, but I was expecting some really stomach-churning imagery, and lots of blood-soaked gore to be peppered throughout this entire vol
Jan Philipzig
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Buckaroo: Home of Serial Killers

The premise sounds interesting enough, one of the characters sums it up like this:
"Sixteen of the world's worst serial killers were all born and raised right here in Buckaroo, Oregon. The last, of course, being the infamous Edward 'The Nailbiter' Warren. If it's a curse, a coincidence, or an act of the devil himself, it is not for us to know..."
Unfortunately, the execution is sloppy: the character design feels forced, the dialogue stagy, the plot formulaic.

In addi
Raeleen Lemay
This was pretty good! Definitely didn't blow my mind, but I'll probably continue with the series if my library has them.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Houston commercial photography

“Warren’s modus operandi was to kidnap innocent men and women who had the habit of chewing their fingernails. Warren would keep them captive until his victim’s nails grew back, and then chew their fingers down to the bone before ultimately killing them.”

First reaction? YES PLEASE!

I also have some experience with one of these “nailbiters” and figured I could relate to this story on a deeper level. Advice to anyone else struggling th
Chad
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Joshua Williamson definitely has the horror comic market cornered. An NSA agent comes to Buckaroo, OR to save a friend who's discovered the secret of why this small town has birthed 16 different serial killers. Once there he teams up with the local sheriff to find out what has happened to his friend. Think Twin Peaks meets Helter Skelter. I really enjoyed this book and Mike Henderson provides great moody art within.
Kate (GirlReading)
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75* so, yeah, um... this was so completely and utterly messed up. it was gruesome, gory, disturbing, definitely something I shouldn't have started reading alone at 2am but with that being said, I could not stop reading. It was horrifyingly addictive and 50% of me never wants to read it again and the other 50% knows there's no way I'm going to be able to stop reading this series now. I need to know what's going on!!! Definitely not something for people who are sensitive to graphic violence and ...more
Liz Janet
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Buckaroo, Oregon has given rise to sixteen known serial killers, all just as creepy as the other. This has given the town a bad reputation, but no one truly knows how so many murderers come from such a small place, so Detective Eliot Carroll assigns himself to figure it all out. He then makes a call to his friend, Officer Nicholas Finch, to come find him, since he trust his friend has the skills to completely solve the mystery, however when the cop arrives into town he discovers Carroll is missi ...more
Sam Quixote
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Three years ago, Eliot Carroll arrested the alleged serial killer Edward Charles “Nailbiter” Warren, so-called because he chews the nails and fingers off of his victims before murdering them. In the present, Carroll believes he’s found the secret behind the many serial killers - the last being Warren - that the fictional town of Buckaroo, Oregon, seems to produce. And then he disappears. It’s up to his friend Nicholas Finch and the local sheriff Shannon Crane to find Carroll before the latest of ...more
Sandra

Who would have thought I'd thoroughly enjoy a graphic novel about a serial killer who murder people who bite nails?

What kind of person am I. LOL.

Say whatever it is that you want to say about my reading choices, but I really enjoyed this! Why? Becauseeee… I'm into serial killers. Oookaay. That didn't sound right, so let me correct myself. I'm into serial killer stories. Yes. That's what I meant.

These type of stories intrigue me. They get me curious. Fiction or non-fiction, these never fail to tr
Jesse A
Jul 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting story. I'm intrigued by the possibilities. The art was fine. Doesn't stand out but wasn't bad. Interesting start.
Cheese
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars, this was excellent.

I had no idea what to expect from this. No prior research at all.

I would compare this comic to watching that film Scream for the first time, but without the spoof. Creepy, original, suspense,horror and constantly trying to guess who the killer is.

So it's called nail biter because the first issue centres around a serial killer who captured 42 separate victims on separate occasions, chewed their nails off their hands and killed them. He only chose victims that chew
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

For a book that "tantalized" with the most gruesome picture of a man biting off this own fingers, well, it wasn't nearly as gory inside. Meaning, yes, it was still gory but at least I could open my eyes for most of the panels.

Carroll has become obsessed with the 16 serial killers of Buckaroo, OR; he's found the answer and tells fellow agent, Finch, to come to him. In classic thriller fashion, Carroll goes missing and Finch must have the local police led by Crane give him a hand.

Thi
Paul Nelson
Dec 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Review to come
Anne
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it

Horror is not one of my favorite genres, but man, this book was good! Honestly, the premise is great, but I don’t want to know why Buckaroo is full of serial killers, I just want to know more about them. 0=)

I had so much fun with those few panels about freaks like The Silent Movie Killer (Walter Grant only killed people who talked during movies at the theater), The Gravedigger (he buried people alive), The Terrible Two (brother and sister duo who only killed other twins)… I want MOAR! Oh, and a
Christopher
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is quite a good time, but I must admit that if I had realized it was an ongoing series, I might not have started it. Complex serial killer mystery books need (imo) to be limited series (even if that limit is like 75 issues) so they can be planned out. I need confidence as a reader that the ending is known and they aren't just making this mess up as they go.

That being said, now that I've started, I'll read the next volume or two.
Rissa
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75 ⭐ ...more
Gavin
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
More from the Humble Bundle; the gift that keeps on giving...even if you didn't ask for some of them.

description

OK so Nailbiter almost lost me in the first few pages because it was just gross, and the kinda eww like papercuts in the spaces between your fingers and toes (EEEEEEE I'm squirming). I swallowed and pushed on through, and got into the story.

As others of my GR friends had commented already, this book owes much to the Silence of the Lambs and Scream...one is a masterful character study/thriller, th
Kaitlin
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my final read for #GettingGraphic and it creeeeeped me out!! I definitely think the artwork is just ok, but the STORY is dark and creepy and focuses on lots of serial killers... I was thoroughly creeped out and fully intrigued by this and I definitely think I'll be continuing the series some time in future :) 4*s
Roy
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this in a sitting. Williamson is quickly becoming a favourite of mine. Its like seven saw mixed with twin peaks/xfiles minus thr aliens. Great storytelling and some cool gory artwork. Highly recommend this one!!
Rosangela
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Graphic novels fans

I read it in English and I downloaded to read in Adobe Digital Edition form from NetGalley page.

It's a very good choice if you like serial killers' stories.
Melissa Chung
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
What an entertaining story. I love reading about serial killers and went into this graphic novel blindly. I knew it was a "horror", but I didn't know what it was about. Loved the illustrations. I also love the small town vibe and the who dun it plot. Giving this one 4 stars.

If you have read Locke and Key by Joe Hill, you will definitely get the same vibe. The illustrations are similar and the mystery really sucks you in.

Nailbiter is about a serial killer. A town of serial killers actually. I fo
Cassie  R. (cassie-loves-reading)
3.5/5 stars. Really strong start to a series. Although there were a lot of questions that were left unanswered in this volume I'm sure they will be answered in the following volumes. The characters were so strange and I liked the concept behind the town and all the different serial killers. The art was amazing and kinda gruesome in some areas. I will totally be picking up Volume 2.
Rituraj Kashyap
A serial killer mystery. I'm intrigued.
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it

3.5 Stars

Wow! WOW! This book is twisted, fun, crazy, and creative! One fast moving, non-stop horror-fest!

Nailbiter’s blurb had me with the name of the town—Buckaroo. Haha…Perfect! This small town in Oregon is the birthplace of sixteen serial killers. 16!!!! What the hell is going on in Buckaroo?

Drop an army intelligence officer, FBI profiler, and one badass Sheriff into the mix and mystery of butchers and killers and you get one hell of a comic book!

I will say a lot of details were introduced
David Schaafsma
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gn-horror
Okay, this is horror. And I did actually read it, yes. . . I picked it up on a whim just as I was leaving the graphic novels/comics section of my library, and sat down and read it through. I am not a huge horror fan, but I am reading a bit more into it every year. But I was not a fan of Williamson's Ghosted, and I'm not a huge fan of this. The art by Mike Henderson is well done. The story is outlandish, set in a town of serial killers, where an NSA agent decides to enlist a serial killer to find ...more
Marianna Neal
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I almost didn't pick this up, but I'm so glad I did! If you're looking for a mix of horror and mystery—this is your comic book series. Yes, there is gore, and general grossness, but what do you expect from a comic called "Nailbiter"? One of the characters is a serial killer, nicknamed Nailbiter, and he is one of the sixteen serial killers who come from a small town in Oregon. Why are there so many serial killers who come from this town? Nobody knows, but there are people who are determined to fi ...more
Maxine Marsh
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
From the Humble Bundle offered by Image Comics.

Nowadays it seems like every story has an antihero as protagonist. Our "Bad Cop", Army Intelligence officer Nicholas Finch, comes to Buckaroo to find his friend and fellow cop gone missing. He's matched with local sheriff ("Good Cop") Carol Crane, who can barely keep up with the string of crime in her infamous little town.

Nailbiter was a thoroughly entertaining read with all the goodies: a unique premise, lots of action, gore, flashbacks, shadowy pl
Paz R.M.
2 Stars
Meh...
Okay this was disappointing. The premise is quite interesting and intriguing. There's a small town called Buckaroo, a town where 16 serial killers have been borned and raised. There's an NSA agent obsessed with this town and its mystery: Why does this town produce such fucked up people? Is it coincidence or it's something else happening there?

Yeah, I pretty much liked the idea of this, but the execution? Not so much.
We follow two of the most boring characters out there... add to tha
FrankieReads
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! I was blown away by the story and concept of this comic. The general premise is that there is a town where 16 of the worst serial killers were born and raised. The main character, a disgraced FBI agent, is summoned to the town by his friend who is researching the town's history and trying to determine why so many killers are born here. Once the main character arrives in town, things quickly heat up and the action never lets up.

Although this is clearly a horror comic and it is not in any w
Sara J. (kefuwa)
Apr 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of... Hannibal? I dunno...
Recommended to Sara J. by: Humble Image Comics Bundle 2: Image Firsts
Shelves: graphic-novels
Wow. I actually want to see what happens next! If you can handle the gore and morbid content the story actually gradually draws you in... I definitely want to see how this ends. The art style is also to my liking. Clean lines.
  • C.O.W.L. Volume 1: Principles of Power