Start by marking “Southern Bastards, Vol. 1: Here Was a Man” as Want to Read:
Southern Bastards, Vol. 1: Here Was a Man

Southern Bastards, Vol. 1: Here Was a Man

(Southern Bastards (Collected Editions) #1)

Welcome to Craw County, Alabama, home of Boss BBQ, the state champion Runnin' Rebs football team...and more bastards than you've ever seen. When you're an angry old man like Earl Tubb, the only way to survive a place like this...is to carry a really big stick. From the acclaimed team of JASON AARON and JASON LATOUR, the same bastards who brought you Scalped and Wolverine: ...more
Published September 24th 2014 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Southern Bastards, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Bastards, Vol. 1

Start your review of Southern Bastards, Vol. 1: Here Was a Man
Anne
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Anne by: Mike
The entire time I was reading this I kept thinking, This is just like those movies The Hubs likes to watch!

One man. Alone, outnumbered, and outmatched against a corrupt corporation/government/town/agency. No hope. No way to win.
He's never really been a good man, or a hero.
But this time, he's found a reason to make a stand!
Usually a kid or a dog...just sayin'.
He won't back down. He's gonna fight 'em till the bitter end!

description

You know, the ones I usually leave the room for...

And that's pretty much the
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

2.5 Stars

I am 150% certain I read this wrong. I was distracted last night between dealing with a real-world annoyance and pissing half the internet off so my attention was not focused on this story whatsoever. NONE of my friends who have read this rated it under 4 Stars so take my “meh” with a shaker full of salt.

The problem I had with Here Was A Man was twofold. (1) Like many other initial volumes, this one didn’t have a whole lot of
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Earl Tubbs comes back to town to clean out his dead father's house. While there he stumbles onto corruption in small town Alabama.
The coach runs the town. Period.
This was frigging good. Once I started it I wanted more. Hell, I still want more. Small town, southern grit lit, and BBQ. Hells yeah. Throw in some football and you have the makings of a great afternoon.

I received an arc copy of this book in exchange for an honest review from Netgalley
Jeff
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comix, buddy-reads

Three and a half stars.

When classical musicians weren’t blatantly ripping one another off, they would title a piece, “Variations on a Theme by…”. They probably did this to avoid getting punched in the face by the original composer or his heirs.

Southern Bastard has a been-there-done-that quality to it. Anyone not familiar with the corrupt-southern-town-under-the-iron-thumb-of-one-evil-man, the return-of-the-looking-for-big-trouble-native, or the I-have-unresolved-issues-with-my-club-wielding-dad
Jan Philipzig
This Southern-fried pulper comes complete with beer-drinking rednecks, trucker caps, lots of bullying and corruption, a powerful and ruthless football coach, his successful high-school team turned private death squad, sweet tea and barbecue, nasty Church-going sneaks, and an angry old man bent on cleaning up the place with his very big stick. As you can tell, the story is not terribly original. Then again, neither is the American South, so I guess it is a good fit. The two Jason's - both hailing ...more
Anthony Vacca
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a Southern Bastard myself, I slurp sweet tea by the gallon, pig-out on BBQ ribs every other meal, have the words REBEL tattooed across my throat, wear an unwashed Confederate Flag g-string daily, am barely literate, have a piece of Bear Bryant's dogstooth hat braided into my chest hair, have four teeth (two of 'em being my good teeth), wear a John Deere cap that's fused with my scalp, snore through church service every Sunday, shoot guns at shit, get an erection at the sight of Nick Saban, ha ...more
David Schaafsma
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-crime
Seems like the two Jasons have a bone to pick with their American South, where they grew up and no longer live. Maybe it's a love-hate relationship. The tale is of a solo vigilante ex-football hero Vietnam Vet that returns home to rain some Hell on some local football coach and his former players who operate as local asswhoopers. They are some of the southern bastards the title refers to that the Jasons can't seem to forgive.

Throughout, Tubb, our sorta hero, leaves phone messages for someone wh
Sam Quixote
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jason Aaron returns for his first creator owned work since Scalped with Southern Bastards (choosing Image as publisher over Vertigo this time around) alongside fellow Southerner, artist Jason Latour.

Earl Tubb is coming back to Craw County, Alabama for the first time in 40 years. He’s going to clear his hated, long-dead father’s house of stuff before getting the hell back out. That is until he realises what a festering swamp of injustice his childhood hometown has become.

Drugs, crime and corrup
Gavin
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, humble-bundle
description

My first Indy Week Buddy Read Shallows. Thanks to Humble Bundle for their last and superb Image Bundle. I will be flowing forth with tons of IMAGE reviews as such! (especially since I figured out how to load them onto my iPad!)

So this non-mainstream slice of Jason Aaron is his first since the glory days of SCALPED, a certain masterpiece of modern noir crime fiction. (I'm only in the middle of that series and I'm already hooked like a junkie for my next fix).

Aaron is in my Top 2-3 writers in the
Mike
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this book and my heart is pounding. Shouldn't have read this before going to bed - I'll be up half the night, dreaming of revenge fantasies.

One of the most striking things about this book is just how much of a presence Earl Tubbs has without lifting a finger. The grizzled squint, the toothbrush moustache, the gnarled arms - yes, Earl's a piece of work and I'd believe he's a shitkicker even in his (sixties?).

The next thing that struck me was how much this book owes to noir - the gn
Crystal Starr Light
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Bullet Review:

After Original Sin by Jason Aaron, I was about ready to throw in the towel on him. But my coworker found this - and I rather liked it!

It's brutal and gritty. It's realistic and violent. But the characters grow on you. The Southern Atmosphere is alive - I can almost smell the biscuits and ribs! And the art makes the entire story jump.

So yeah, Aaron, well done! You are a good writer after all!

Full Review:

Earl Tubb returns to Craw County to clean up his uncle's home - the home he was
Donovan
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sweet tea, ribs, and high school football, Southern Bastards is satire and southern gothic, with rough, beautiful artwork. Probably Aaron’s best work to date.
'kris Pung
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Holy Shit did Aaron just knock this one out of the park. This is the best book I've read all year by far and right up there with Scalped for best slice of life comic for me. Talk about gritty in your face realism, man was this just brutal. Can't wait to read the next volume.
Anthony
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: image
This was pretty cool. I think it's the first Jason Aaron creator owned book that I've read. It's about a building feud in an Alabama town. A town where everyone is all about BBQ, football, beer and foul language. Not usually the type of thing I'd read, but I did enjoy it (probably because it felt different).
11811 (Eleven)
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding. I already told Santa that there are sequels. If he doesn't deliver, I'll have someone break his legs.
Jedi JC Daquis
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The hell did I just read? Southern Bastards is plain perfection when you want some pretty nasty stories with a right amount of heart in it. Reading the first volume gave me mixed but strong feelings. Aaron has a talent to make the readers empathize with the old man protagonist Earl Tubbs. For the record, I absolutely loved the pages where Earl beats the f*ck out from Boss Coach's musclemen. It is is a driven and motivated beatdown that I am really, really satisfied with.

Like the beautifully crea

Joseph
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
**Buddy read with the Shallow Comic Readers, theme this week: Indies!***

description

Basically, Aaron and Latour lean upon every Southern stereotype out there, borrowed from Walking Tall to Bear Bryant to how Food Network portrays Southern food, and serve up a bloody, uber-violent take on corruption in a small town. Even the last page "shocker" is such a silly cliche it had me laughing out loud. I'm just surprised the KKK wasn't thrown in as well, but maybe they show up in future issues.

Aaron is a good write
Ill D
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
As much as I enjoyed Aaron's previous work, Scalped, this following offering feels a bit of a downgrade. And despite the pleasant art work, it feels more like a glorified intro than anything. What should have (just) been a vignette of sorts is dragged out into a 100 page comic that for all its length, doesn't really have much to show for it.

Enter: our main character (who I don't even think even gets a name) who returns to his small town for the murkiest of reasons. A story of a man's past catchi
Diz
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
As an exile from the south myself, I really get the criticisms of southern culture that the authors are making here. Just like the main character I understand the feeling of wanting to get away from it, but at the same time that it is always pulling for you to come back. The south, especially in the small towns, is welcoming if the people view you as 'one of us', but as soon as the surface is scratched and they find out you're different in some way (not religious, a liberal, not interested in fo ...more
Cyndi
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I do not possess the required amount of superlatives to describe this piece. Aaron and Latour have caught the essence of every bitch-ass redneck known to humanity and distilled it into this noir meets Walking Tall homage. It can only reach stellar heights by continuing and I am reserving my spot on that fucking carnival ride right now!!!!
Jesse A
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pretty good start. Interested to see where this series is headed.
Anna
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What do you do to pass the time when your roommate is do accounting for her church, you're sitting in the other room, surrounded by outdated ministry/religious books, and looking forward to some ice cream afterwards? Read a comic with a sacriligeous word in the title of course! Seriously, why the heck did I wait SO LONG???!!! It's yet more proof that I have as of yet never held a book in my hands, published by Image, that truly disappointed me in any way. This was awesome! It was like every angr ...more
Timothy Bakita
Apr 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Whitney
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The first line of the introduction says, "I love the south. The south also scares the living shit out of me." This is a pretty perfect articulation of my feelings as well. I have this weird relationship with the region that is "home" for me. I put home in quotes because I wasn't actually born here, though I spent 20 years in south Mississippi and have spent the last two in Nashville. Another reason for the quotes is that I've never actually felt welcome here. Not in the way that is implied by al ...more
Tamahome
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it

Blew through this thang in about an hour, but some story threads still ain't tied up. If ya ever caught that Walkin' Tall flick (I hope not the one with that Rock feller), you've got an idea what it's about, but with more dawgs. Them dawgs is messy. If I had my druthers I'd put in a few more words, cuz I'm an old cuss. Now what would William Faulkner say if he read dis? Put some more dang words in. Still it's got some Southern fried style though. Hope ya like football. Me, I go in for figger ska
James DeSantis
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Update: Re-read

So I liked it more the second time around. It does feel a little light, and I didn't love any of the characters, but the art is really damn good. I also enjoyed the ending, even if I guessed it, but it does built the town world up nicely. I say it's around a 2.5 but I'll bump it to a 3. Going to read volume 2 now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I just didn't gather what the fuss was about but besides some nice artwork I basically w
Greg
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I usually like Jason Aaron's stuff, especially his creator-owned work. Scalped is still one of my favorite series. Anticipation for this new series was pretty high, and I mostly hear that people like it. I'm a little disappointed with it so far though. Doesn't have the bite Scalped did. Each issue seems pretty light. The concept of it is weirdly close to Scalped, so it's hard not to make comparisons. Not as much characterization yet, but maybe Aaron is just getting all of his ducks in a row. I t ...more
Logan
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow so i see what people were raving on about! Jason Aaron kills it with the writing! The story is that a guy comes back to his town finding it to be run by some old coot named the coach, the story and writing is just excellent! Very gritty and quite different compared to all the Marvel stuff Jason Aaron is doing! I was not really a fan of Jason Latour's artwork though, i like his writing more. Overall a gritty, fun read!

• Nailbiter, Vol. 1: There Will Be Blood
  • Black Hammer, Vol. 1: Secret Origins
  • Outcast, Vol. 1: A Darkness Surrounds Him
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 3: Stations of the Cross
  • Nailbiter, Vol. 3: Blood in the Water
Jason Aaron grew up in a small town in Alabama. His cousin, Gustav Hasford, who wrote the semi-autobiographical novel The Short-Timers, on which the feature film Full Metal Jacket was based, was a large influence on Aaron. Aaron decided he wanted to write comics as a child, and though his father was skeptical when Aaron informed him of this aspiration, his mother took Aaron to drug stores, where h ...more

Southern Bastards (Collected Editions) (4 books)
  • Southern Bastards, Vol. 2: Gridiron