Start by marking “Wolf Skin” as Want to Read:
Wolf Skin

Wolf Skin

WOLF SKIN follows a modern woman whose mother told her dark fairy tales when she was a girl. Many of the poems retell the tales of the Brothers Grimm from the perspectives of minor characters, such as the huntsman from Little Red Riding Hood, the witch from Rapunzel, and the woodcutter’s wife from Hansel and Gretel. Others look at the stories of popular characters in a fre ...more
Chapbook, 20 pages
Published May 21st 2014 by dancing girl press

To ask other readers questions about Wolf Skin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolf Skin

Start your review of Wolf Skin
Ronlyn
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous, visceral poems! At a time when fairy tale retellings are so popular, this fits in-—but is a cut above. Many of the poems are told from the perspective of characters we don’t know much about (the huntsman in Little Red Riding Hood) or slip into the minds of those we’re told about (Rapunzel herself). There are, as a frame, poems told by a daughter, about her mother who used to tell her these reimagined fairy tales as dark warnings about life. I found myself reading lines several times to ...more
Janeen Pergrin Rastall
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Enter the wood, dark and cold...It is time for you to drown. - from The Girl Who Came Before.

Mary McMyne's Wolf Skin give us more than re-imagined fairy tales. These are the stories we need to breathe, to survive. She has taken our mother's cautionary words at night and shaped them into the bread crumbed path we must take to walk through the woods on our own.
Christine
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Wolf Skin by Mary McMyne (Dancing Girl Press, 2014) creates a world where fairytale characters return to us, claiming their stories for themselves.

In "Fur," Red Riding Hood's single mother tells her, "Be not girl...but wolf," and in "Rotkappchen" the girl begs the hunstman to leave her and the grandmother "in the wolf's belly, without memory."

The title poem, "Wolf Skin," shows us the hunter who, after saving the grandmother and the girl, wraps himself in the slain wolf's skin and calls
Diana
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shockingly clear and sure, McMyne's poetry is an arrow shot straight through the pelt. I wish I had read this book earlier. I'm a fan of creative retellings, from fairy tales and Disney to Oz and Narnia. If you crave a feminist perspective of the well-trod forest paths, you'll enjoy these haunting poems set in the shadows of Grimm. "You know that story about the girl who meets the wolf," begins the poem "Fur," but do you really? McMyne shows you the real thing.
Hope Wabuke
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A lovely, lyrical poetry chapbook. The poems are vivid, fierce and inventive. The language haunting and graceful. A superb addition to the canon of modern fairy tales.
Lissa Sloan
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales
In Wolf Skin, Mary McMyne begins in the real world, but leads the reader deeper and deeper into the woods and then back out again, exploring fairy tales such as Little Red Riding Hood and Rapunzel. McMyne's poems are dreamlike and evocative, musing on the idea of how happy "happily ever after" truly is. Standouts for me were the captivating "The Girl Who Came Before" and the moving "Old Woman Gothel". McMyne's language is simple but powerful, making me think of Margaret Atwood. Highly recommende ...more
Shaindel
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful chapbook of retellings and explorations of fairy tales. There were some I wasn't familiar with that I will be researching thanks to Wolf Skin. I've always had a fascination with "retellings" and am so glad that I read this collection -- I just wish it were full-length!

This is definitely on par with Anne Sexton's Transformations or Kate Daniels' Niobe Poems.
Heather
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This wonderful little chapbook of poems delivers incredibly. Fairy tales for grown ups, the other side of the coin, an air of mystery. Little peeks at what actually might have happened, and what might have become of those legendary figures we thought we knew so well.

I cannot say enough about Mary McMyne's efforts here, and cannot wait to read more of her work!
Diane
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed, poetry
This is one of those gems of a little book. The poetry is gorgeous and I had the privilege of reviewing it for Amazing Stories Mag. You can read the full review and listen to 3 full poems here:

Brenda
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
My favorite poems in this little collection: "Heyghoge" and "The Bzou."
Kristy Bowen
Esther Lombardi
Dec 23, 2017
Robin Cheryl
Dec 28, 2017
Mary McMyne is the author of Wolf Skin (Dancing Girl Press, 2014), winner of the 2015 Elgin Chapbook Award. Her poems, stories, and essays have appeared in Gulf Coast, Cimarron Review, Ninth Letter, Southern Humanities Review, The Chattahoochee Review, Painted Bride Quarterly, Philadelphia Stories, Los Angeles Review, Word Riot, and elsewhere. She is the recipient of the Faulkner-Wisdom Prize for a Novel-i ...more