Start by marking “Death of a Dancer” as Want to Read:
Death of a Dancer

Jill McGown

Death of a Dancer

(Lloyd & Hill #3)

The murder of a deputy headmaster's wife on the night of the Sesquicentennial Ball at a minor-league boys' public school brings together the team of Inspector Lloyd and Judy Hill. Diana Hamlyn's body has been found on the school's playing field. Death had been caused by the traditional blunt instrument, her clothing was disarrayed, her underclothes missing. It was a partic ...more
Published May 8th 2014 by Policy Press (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Dancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Dancer

Stef Rozitis
Similar to the other Jill McGown I read, I appreciated the critical, problematical approach to the gender order, while loathing all the male characters, even the ones who are supposed to be likeable. Thankfully I think men in real life are not all as awful as the ones in the book (even Lloyd for goodness sakes who is a co-protagonist).

I liked the way Judy is calm and intelligent, reflexive and learns from her interactions. I hate how she feels indebted to Michael and Lloyd and how Caroline feels
Elizabeth
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england, own
Another excellent book with Lloyd and Hill. Strong female characters, good plot line, and I was wrong about who-dunnit.
I recommend this book as an excellent example of a British cozy.
Kate
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england, read-in-2018
"Diana Hamlyn's Promiscuity Is An Open Secret

"So when her beautiful, but bludgeoned body is found on a playing field at the English school where her husband is deputy headmaster, no one is terribly shocked. But rape? The consensus is that this can hardly have been possible in view of Diana's well-founded reputation as a tireless nymphomaniac.

"Detecting duo Inspector Lloyd and Detective Judy Hill are soon mired in a messy investigation that exposes shocking school scandals and implicates an ever-
Amelia
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing!

I started it in the morning and was finished by the afternoon, I was unable to put it down. The author had me continuously re-evaluating my guesses throughout the book, which makes a change from some of the more obvious whodunnits that I tend to guess right straight away without much thought. Character development was really interesting too, not to mention the book's overall message.

What makes this book - and the series in general - interesting, is that the main characters
Deb Jones
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? I became hooked on the detective duo of Lloyd and Hill in author Jill McGown's first installment in this series and only find myself growing more fond of them through each subsequent story in the series.

Expect a straight forward detective story, devoid of the often gory details that accompany some such tales. McGown concentrates instead on the investigation and the characters themselves, both Lloyd and Hill and the potential suspects they encounter.
Jan Whitmarsh
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant story !

Great storyline, characters and interactions....Jill writes amazing murder mysteries with just the right amount on mystery. Delve into this school of weirdness, where everyone can be a suspect.
Jane
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rereading the Lloyd and Hill series. McGown was really hitting her stride by book 3. Interesting characters and insight into detective work.
Margaret
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read a series and you get to have a well wrought mystery and see the ongoing characters evolve in the background.
Dee
Oct 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jill Hutchinson
Not my favorite of this series but still a good read. Taking place in a boarding school, Lloyd and Hill are investigating the murder of a teacher's rather free-wheeling wife. Almost everyone is a suspect and the character development is well done. Toward the conclusion, the story gets a little cluttered with "where were you" and "what were you wearing" clues........but the final solution is satisfactory. And the private life of Lloyd and Hill moves forward romantically without getting in the way ...more
Mary
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys contemporary mysteries
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Chief Inspector Lloyd and Sergeant Judy Hill come together to solve the rape and murder of the deputy head master's wife at a second-rate English public school during a ball. What happens when there is a long list of suspects and the murder weapon from years ago turns up missing? I have to say that I have trouble following police procedurals sometimes; although it was well-written and I did like it.

This is the third book of Scottish author Jill McGown's Lloyd and Hill Series. Also known as Death
Mary Ronan Drew
This third Lloyd and Hill mystery, Gone to Her Death , is about the murder of the wife of the assistant headmaster at a third-rate (and bucking for fourth) public school. Any of the staff might be the murderer and while Hill investigates a string of petty thefts, Lloyd turns the spotlight on one person after another in a vain attempt to figure out what has been going on. Until finally light dawns and the most unlikely of murderers is identified. This book is the third in the series and is calle ...more
Kirsty Darbyshire

This story centres around a death at the St. Valentines Day Ball at a small failing boys school populated with the kind of oddball staff who make mystery novels fun. The book is full of interesting relationships from those among the staff to that between Judy Hill, her boss Lloyd and her husband Michael which portrays the way that people manipulate one another especially well.

An interesting series, I'm glad I have plenty more to read.

Kate
May 12, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This got two stars because the plot was interesting. I found the two main characters uninteresting. Their personal lives were of no interest to me and to be honest once they started arguing with each other I skipped over those conversations as they added nothing to the book. The idea that his name is so horrible no one knows what it is just
smacks of imitation al la Morse and Columbo.
Jim
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a neat little English mystery. I enjoyed it except for the last couple of pages where the author got up on her soapbox about what animals men are and no woman is ever safe. The story is definitely written from a feminist point of view; The male characters are all shown in a very poor light and the women in a very positive one. But the story itself hangs together pretty well.
KDawn
Several things about this book I liked: characters were fun, main character correcting everyone's grammar (always appreciated), and a mystery that I didn't figure out until the end! However, I had some issues with the POV switching mid-paragraph between characters. It took quite a bit of getting used to...and I'm not sure I actually ever did get used to it.
Elaine Wilson
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered this author as a Kobo recommendation and I am hooked. Interesting continuing characters in Lloyd and Hill and well formed, complex players in each of the three titles I've read.
Following the twist and turns as they deal with evidence tampering and false testimony in Gone to Her Death (which I read as Death of a Dancer) provided a most satisfying read.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I enjoy this series; have read several, not necessarily in order. Lloyd and Hill are good characters, often complementing each other. The plot is involved, but not confusing. It is an English police procedural that was published in 1989 but doesn't really seem dated, depending on human investigation and deduction rather than technical devices. Glad I have more of these to read.
Nikki
Feb 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lloyd and Hill are a police couple with both similarities and differences to Deborah Crombie's Kincaid and James. They are not based in London, for one thing. This fine series sadly came to an end with McGown's death a few years ago. In this book, Lloyd and Hill investigate the rape and murder of a teacher's wife.
Maddy
Jun 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006-reads
RATING: 2.75
Karen
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Could have done without the romance novel type descriptions of one character's fantasy world. Otherwise a good English whodunnit with memorable characters and good plotting.
Gary Van Cott
Reasonably good. Along the same lines as the previous book with some advancement of the relationship between the two main characters.
Cindy
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jill-mcgown
I am enjoying this series and the author has a wonderful way of drawing you in to the characters and their obsessions. well done.
Janet
rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2013
  • Charlotte
  • Dancehall
  • Blood in the Water (Alice Rice, #1)
  • Random Hearts
  • Death Notes (Inspector Wexford, #11)
  • The Malcontenta (Brock & Kolla, #2)
  • Dirty South (Nick Travers #4)
  • Nell
  • A Little Death
  • The Red Scream (Molly Cates, #1)
  • The Case of Lucy Bending
  • The             Rome Affair
  • The Doctor's Wife
  • Falling Angels
  • The Friends
  • Coroner at Large
  • The Tarnished Eye
  • Ruin Creek
Jill McGown (9 August 1947, Campbeltown, Scotland – 6 April 2007 in Kettering, Northamptonshire) was a British writer of mystery novels. She was best known for her mystery series featuring Inspector Lloyd and Judy Hill, one of which (A Shred of Evidence) was made into a television series. McGown wrote her first mystery novel after being laid off from the British Steel Corporation in 1980. She is s ...more

Lloyd & Hill (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • A Perfect Match (Lloyd & Hill, #1)
  • Murder at the Old Vicarage (Lloyd & Hill, #2)
  • The Murders of Mrs. Austin and Mrs. Beale (Lloyd & Hill, #4)
  • The Other Woman (Lloyd & Hill, #5)
  • Murder... Now and Then (Lloyd & Hill, #6)
  • A Shred of Evidence (Lloyd & Hill, #7)
  • Verdict Unsafe (Lloyd & Hill, #8)
  • Plots and Errors (Lloyd & Hill, #10)
  • Scene of Crime (Lloyd & Hill, #11)