Start by marking “Read Me Like a Book” as Want to Read:
Read Me Like a Book

Read Me Like a Book

Ashleigh Walker is in love. You know the feeling - that intense, heart-racing, all-consuming emotion that can only come with first love. It's enough to stop her worrying about bad grades at college. Enough to distract her from her parents' marriage troubles. There's just one thing bothering her . . .

Shouldn't it be her boyfriend, Dylan, who makes her feel this way - not Mi
Published May 14th 2015 by Indigo

To ask other readers questions about Read Me Like a Book, please sign up.
Honney Bee First of all, I totally agree with you! I also sometimes felt like my thoughts and feelings had been written down, so the whole story already meant a…moreFirst of all, I totally agree with you! I also sometimes felt like my thoughts and feelings had been written down, so the whole story already meant a lot to me!
To your question, I think Miss Murray also liked Ash a lot, but not in the same way, more like a friend. That's maybe why she spent relatively much time with her, but then there was probably always something in Ash's behaviour that reminded her that Ash might have a crush on her.
Maybe Miss Murray also wanted to support her during her process of self-coming out...(less)

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Hachette Children's Group and NetGalley.)

“I want to kiss her neck. I don’t know if I can stop myself.”

This was a YA coming of age story, about a girl who discovers that she likes girls more than boys.

Ash was quite a mixed up character, she didn’t really know what she wanted, and got sucked up in other people’s plans and ideas, even if she didn’t really want to do what they wanted to do.

The storyline
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: family, school, friendship, growing-up, coming-out.

Aww man, I've got the warm fuzzies.

I have admit that I wasn't really feeling it at the beginning. I couldn't settle in to the story. But I stuck with it. And I'm so glad that I did. Because this book is amazing. It is so SO good.

I didn't like Ash very much in the beginning, and while I still didn't love her by the end, she'd definitely grown on me. She's one of the best written teenage characters I have read, and every action rang true.
♫✯Em loves Hollenstein✯♫❤the summertime and butterflies all belong to your creation❤
i just read the whole book in one sitting.

incredible. no words

Though I think it a tad unhelpful that we were never told what Ash looked like. Made it hard to visualise some of it. I just imagined everything from her point of view, but the teacher was never described either. Nor was Dylan, Luke or Robyn. So that's one thing I would change.
Maddie
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ukya, arcs
Such a great LGBT+ book, I really loved the progression of Ash's feelings and identity and the other plot points really fleshed out the book and made it such a great representation of the stresses of teenage life. Ash was so easily to love, and her situation was so realistic, I was amazed! 100% would recommend, especially since I don't see that many lesbian main characters in YA, and that's definitely something I like to see more of, as gay main characters become more prominent too.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: queer
I'm really grumpy at this book bc false advertising. Grrrrrr.
Abigail Ainley
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was going to give this book 4 stars but the more I think about it, the more I believe it needs 5 stars just for what it's managed to do through the use of relatable characters and fabulously quirky writing. "What the heck has it done?" I hear you ask. Well, nothing short of everything we've all been asking YA books to do for a long time...
-It accurately portrayed the feelings of realising that you like the same sex. (That's how I - and I'm pretty sure most people - found out. It was like going
Danii Allen
Aug 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Honestly, this book just made me angry. (Vague spoilers ahead.)

Ash is a horrible main character, who thinks and acts like a child. She's supposed to be 17 and in sixth-form, but this book honestly feels like it was written about a 13 year old. I don't know what school this author attended, but at least in my experience, people in sixth form want to be there. You have to get certain grades to get in, and you pick out three or four subjects that you love and want to study further. Ash's experience
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it

Shouldn't it be her boyfriend, Dylan, who makes her feel this way - not Miss Murray, her English teacher?

This was kind of a nice book about one girl’s experience of firstly realising she likes girls
Tilly Booth
May 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
I hate to say that I did not enjoy this beautiful looking book. I picked this book up because LOOK AT THAT STUNNING COVER. I read the blurb and it sounded okay. I liked the way it sounded but and I decided that it was either going to amazing or terrible.

A young girl is in love with her new boyfriend. Then she starts to get feelings for her female, school teacher, Miss Murray.

I did not like the characters in this book. I didn't connect with any of the characters and I really, really wanted to.
Cynthia
READ ME LIKE A BOOK is a quick, easy read that will leave you smiling.

Ash has just turned 17, and she’s managed to find a new boyfriend, Dylan. Dylan is okay, but Ash finds herself thinking about Miss Murray, her new English teacher, more and more, as her life feels like it’s starting to fall apart: her parents won’t stop fighting, until eventually they decide to break up and her dad moves out, and everything seems to be going wrong with Dylan as well. But Miss Murray is there for her throughout
Rhian Ivory
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ash has a lot on her plate – warring parents, changeable feelings towards her new boyfriend Dylan, college work piling up, verbal warnings issued and to top it all a new English teacher to get used to. Her life is dominated by the very strong presence of her best friend Cat; house parties with her other close friend Luke and dates with Dylan after which she’s left with strange and unexpected feelings. So there’s definitely no time in her busy schedule for reading Wuthering Heights but the new En ...more
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good story about a girl who is coming to terms with her inner sexuality.
It was honestly beautiful at times.
The story also faces real life issues like a child dealing with their parents split.
It was raw and realistic.
I definitely recommend.
Kate
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I usually avoid books with a teacher student theme to them and when I read the blurb of this book I was tempted to skip it. I'm so glad I didn't, this isn't about a relationship between a student and her teacher. It's a lovely coming of age story about a girl struggling with different elements of her life. Friendship issues, parents who are fighting and her growing crush.

The feelings Ashleigh develops for her english teacher are what force her to question her sexuality. Why does she feel for her
Kelsey van Dillen
Nov 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-release
The coming-out part is wonderful, I really liked it. The rest of the story, not so much. The writing was quite distant. Emotions and feelings of happiness were not coming through. Between Dylan and Ash things are sooo weird and a lot of things that take place in the book have no value for the story whatsoever. The ending was great though. And the cover too, I like the contrast between the colorful graffiti and the monochrome girl.
Lena
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was definitely a cute short story between all my fantasy reads. I really enjoyed it!
Georgia (The Bibliomaniac Book Blog)
4.5. So brilliant. I wish there could have been a way for my younger self to read this.
Kirsty
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story is the coming out story of Ashleigh. Ashleigh has been having a tough time at home as she's living with her parents as their marriage falls apart. As a result she's struggling and feeling a bit lost.

I like that the coming out part of this story comes as a surprise to even the main character and out of nowhere. Ashleigh assumes she is straight and as a consequence starts a new relationship with a boy. She only questions it when things with him don't go well when he starts treating her
Gretel
Jun 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary-ya
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Read Me Like a Book reminded me a bit of Looking for Alibrandi in tone. Ashleigh’s self-absorbed in a truly teen way, and she makes a lot of bad decisions. There’s a lot to like here, but the book is burdened by poor writing.

The characterization is decent, but not great. It’s a fairly plotless contemporary, but I found it a pretty quick read, especially while my other reads were big and dense. I did like the handling of the f/f teacher/student relationship, something I was worried about. (view s
✟Roxanne✟(Death by Book Avalanche) ☠
⚢⚢⚢⚢ 4 'Be True To You' Stars

This was such a beautiful book, inside and out (just look at this gorgeous cover art) I could of done with having this book years ago!
Here we have our wonderful MC Ashleigh who is on a journey of self-discovery in the world of love. When things start to fall flat with her current boyfriend she turns to her teacher Miss Murray for help and support...little did Ashleigh know that friendship would turn into love.

A wonderful 'coming-out' story split into 3 sections fol
Wendy Darling
Book 4 four GLBT Book Month. Not as squicky as it sounds (crush is handled responsibly), but still not quite a standout in terms of plot or characterization or writing, either. Everything pretty much is and turns out as you'd expect.

Best handed to a teen on the younger end of the YA spectrum, particularly kids who might be in search of positive representation.

Review copy from the publisher.
Isobel Radakovic
I am always looking to discover and read more diverse books, particularly about LGBTQ+ characters, so when I came across this book, I decided to try it out. I thought the beginning was quite slow, but if you can stick with it, it's worth it. I also didn't really like Ash either, but it's not one of those books where you have to like the main character to be able to like the story. This is a very powerful book, and I already have Kessler's new book to read.
Lisa
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
The idea of this book is good. Really, it is but the actual story isn't.. at least in my opinion.
Sure, it covers a range of issues such as dealing with your sexuality, teenage pregnancy, relationships, parents, friendships, crushes on teachers ect. But it just tried to fit too much in..
Also, for most of the story the main character was really quite annoying and superficial.
I actually physically threw this book on the floor at one point because I was that annoyed with it.
Becky
This is an enjoyable book that feels like an old school teen problem novel: divorce, pregnancy scare, teacher crush, coming out. These all dealt with more or less equally. Though the teacher crush is marketed as being the main plot point, it isn't really.
Evelien
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I borrowed this book from a friend (you know who you are) because the title just make you want to read this book so badly. It's a typical YA book. It's an easy read and it kind of has a predictable plot but I enjoyed reading it nevertheless!
Debra
Mar 12, 2016 rated it liked it
For my written review, please check out the link below:
Debra's Book Cafe

Debs :-)
Sarah E.
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was gifted an ebook via Netgalley.
I was so disappointed in this book. I thought the premise sounded incredibly interesting and taboo. I wanted to see how this book handled not only LGBT issues, but also a teacher-student relationship. I felt that's what it was pitched as. Instead, it was a really disjointed story that didn't piece together very well and the LGBT really didn't come into play until closer to the end and seemed very rushed. The teacher-student relationship was basically one-sided
Sonja L
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is a very good book. This book shows how hard it is to find your true identity. Ashleigh is going through a hard time with her mom and dad getting a divorced. While having a hard time with her boyfriend Dylan. She has a hard time knowing where she stands in her life. People don't know how to except her and her identity as a person. This is a very true and realistic book.
Devorah
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-again
Amazingly read! So well written I had the time of my life reading this book! This book just brings you in making you want more. So many good points of the story! I also loved the characters it made you feel like you were there. It's all the kinds of things I love.
Lea (drumsofautumn)
DNFed at 52 pages! This is a case of It's not you, it's me! I just didn't really feel invested at all. There's too much good queer contemporary out there for me to waste my time on this.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Deep Water
  • My Box-Shaped Heart
  • Starring Kitty (Reel Friends, #1)
  • Me and Mr J
  • Air (Blue #2)
  • London Lies Beneath
  • Remix
  • Songs About A Boy (Songs About A Girl, #3)
  • Othergirl
  • Indigo Donut
  • Love Bomb (Ladybirds, #2)
  • Speak Its Name
  • Drop
  • Close Encounters of the Girl Kind (Geekhood, #1)
  • Cruel Summer
  • Replica
  • Fashion Assassin (Jessica Cole: Model Spy, #2)
  • One Silver Summer
Liz Kessler is the author of three novels about Philippa Fisher as well as the NEW YORK TIMES best-selling Emily Windsnap series. She lives in Manchester, England.
“If you looked round the rooms, you wouldn't think there was anything missing. But it's like one of those Spot the difference cartoons in a puzzle book. The changes are so subtle, yet glaringly obvious once you've seen them. A photo missing here, a cup there. A heart a bit more broken than it was before.” 25 likes
“It's all very well going round with two fingers stuck up at the world, but what happens when the world turns round and sticks them back up at you?
The world's a lot bigger than I am.”
18 likes