Start by marking “Dearest Clementine (Dearest, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dearest Clementine (Dearest, #1)

Dearest Clementine

(Dearest #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  11,512 ratings  ·  1,191 reviews
Librarian's Note: This is an alternate cover for ASIN B00JRQ08HI

Twenty-year-old Clementine Avery doesn't mind being called bitchy and closed off. It's safe, and after being burned by her high school sweetheart and stalked by a professor her freshman year of college, safe sounds pretty damn good.

Her number one rule for survival? No dating. That is until she accidentally sig
Published May 25th 2014 by Lex Martin (first published April 17th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Dearest Clementine, please sign up.
Lex Martin Hi! I'm just now seeing your question, so I'm sorry for the delay in responding. While I'm not planning a full book in Gavin's POV, I did include a…moreHi! I'm just now seeing your question, so I'm sorry for the delay in responding. While I'm not planning a full book in Gavin's POV, I did include a bonus scene in the boxed set, which takes place after Kissing Madeline. I just published Shameless, which is Brady's story, and I'm currently working on a book for Ryan and Jenna. :)(less)

·  11,512 ratings  ·  1,191 reviews

Katerina
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Some books you read.Some books you enjoy.But some books just swallow you up,heart and soul.Dearest Clementine is one of those books.

“They slipped briskly into an intimacy from which they never recovered.”

Meet Clementine.Everyone thinks of her as a bossy bitch,a girl with a cold heart and snarky remarks who hates men and doesn't date.What they don't know is how hard she tries to hide her fear,her heartbreak and her trust issues.Her first love cheated on her with her best friend,her family ig
Patrycja

Title: Dearest Clementine
Series: Dearest #1
Author: Lex Martin
Release Date: April, 2014
Rating: 5 stars
Cliffhanger:. No
HEA: (view spoiler)

I didn’t know exactly what to expect when I reached for Lex Martin’s novel. I guess, I felt extremely adventurous and decided to give Dearest Clementine a chance. I’m a fan of a little fluffy, yet sexy New Adult reads, so I thought it would be right up my alley. And it was! From the start to the end I grinned like a Cheshire Cat and had
Melanie
ARC provided to me by author Lex Martin in exchange for an honest review.

This was a super sweet, cute, summer/spring time read, with a mystery sub-plot that, even though it was pretty obvious, really pulls you into the story and makes it hard to put this book down.

Clementine is attending Boston University, where she is pursuing a degree in writing/english, even though she has already published a bestselling novel her freshman year, under a pen name. The story she had published is an account of
Eliza

Release Date: 25th May, 2014
Rating: 4 "Golden" Stars
Cliffhanger: No

photo 17DBA232-157C-48BB-ABA7-3A395B523967_zpssrl3dj3l.jpg

I wanted to start my reading year with a sweet, surefire winning read and I definitely found that with ‘Dearest Clementine’.

Our girl Clem had more issues than Glamour but far from being a whiny weak heroine, her sarkiness; although a shield was entertaining. And Gavin? That boy can call me Darlin' anyday!

photo F0323A9F-8FAA-41CB-BB4D-767B6E251209_zpsnxsxvcrk.jpg

I have serious grab
Lex Martin
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Grab The Dearest Series Boxed Set, which is FREE on Amazon KU for a limited time. It includes Dearest Clementine, Finding Dandelion and Kissing Madeline, as well as BONUS scenes (yes, more Gavin Murphy!) and the first chapter of Shameless.

Universal Amazon link: myBook.to/DearestSeries

To receive an email when I release SHAMELESS on April 26 and get sneak peaks, sign up for my newsletter here: http://tiny.cc/zhizjx

I'll be giving away SIGNED copies of Dearest Series books and ARCs of SHAMELESS
Ramona
This was my first book from Lex Martin and after finishing it, I was a dying fan. We all know Romance is not for everyone. First, I believe you have to be genuine in order for all the readers to believe your story. That connection is very important, and not only for this genre, but for all the existing books. No connection leads to no admiration towards the book and its character. Believe me, this was not the case for Lex's story.

I won't spoil much from the plot, only that our heroine Clementine
Aestas Book Blog
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it

**** FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED ****

Dearest Clementine was a sweet college romance mixed in with some mystery about a girl whose trust in friends, family, and men had been broken and the sweet, loving guy who helped her rebuild it. I really enjoyed it and swooned hard over Gavin Murphy!

So, the whole story was told to us by Clementine who had sworn off dating after her high school boyfriend cheated on her with her best friend and then her college writing professor crossed waayyyyyy over the professi
Jennifer Kyle

Release Date: April 18, 2014
Rating:4 stars
Cliffhanger:No
HEA: (view spoiler)

Dearest Clementine was a great example of New Adult done right. Let’s move down the list:

No annoying friends-Check.

No unneeded drama-Check

No overdone angst-Check

No heroine that you want to kill-Check

No stupid decision making-Check.

That spells success.

New Adult is easy to screw up but Lex Martin has done something noteworthy. She’s made a he
Becca Ritchie
I’ve been searching for a “chance-meeting” romance that literally sucks me in—to the point where I start unexplainably fawning and stroking my tablet screen. Dearest Clementine induced the “Kindle stroking” that sounds really dirty, but man, I’ve been waiting for it.

This romance is so natural that I’d shelve it under “soul-mate love” or “you know you wanna get it on”. First you have Clementine. Oh, Clementine. With her head-strong attitude, her love-scorned ways (she was previously cheated on a
Ashley
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.75

This book was great! I started it earlier today and, though I only meant to read a few chapters before finishing my OTHER read [Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas] I found that I just could NOT put this book down.

This is the debut book by this author, and I am impressed to say the least. This was a great story, filled with great characters. I lo
Chloe
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, ebooks
This book was so much more than I thought it would be! I could not put it down, loved it so much!
Maayan
I must say, this book really surprised me! I didn't know what to except when I started reading it and I'm very pleased to say that I enjoy it very much! It was light, sweet, funny and cute :) I loved the supporting characters! all added color and life to the story. Clementine & Gavin were such a lovely couple! I loved how their relationship grew and how well the fit together ! I love how he pull her out of her shell and show her that good man DOES exist in this world. Gavin is definitely a b ...more
Polly
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I very rarely take chances on new authors. Especially ones that none of my friends have read. With that being said I'm glad I took a chance on this one!!

I really loved it. I needed a light, funny, sweet, and with a dash of hot read today. This book delivered on all of those things.

Great debut for a promising author!
A_Ryan
5 TOTALLY AWESOME - LOVED IT - STARS!!!

What's it about? Wow! A totally awesome, exhilerating, sweet and funny romance about...romance! This book just sort of came out of no where and completely blew me away!

After her first love cheats on her, her twin-brother betrays her, her father abandons her for a business deal overseas and after her mentor/professor begins to go crazy and stalk her, Clementine begins to believe that all men suck. Her survival instincts switch on to overdrive and Clement
Nikki

Welcome to the book boyfriend list, Gavin Murphy.
description

This book really surprised me. 1st read with this author and truly enjoyed this to bits. We have Clementine, who is basically a big ole bitch, but for good reason. Caught her boyfriend boning her BFF, her parents suck, her brother sucks, oh and she had a psycho professor stalk her too. Not alot of reason to trust anyone. Until Gavin Murphy...sigh. What a gem. I absolutely adored him. He is an RA at the dorm on campus and also a guitar player in t
Maida
I'm going to have to give this novel more thought before settling on a rating. I was able to piece together a considerable chunk of the mystery beforehand; however, it did NOT diminish my reading experience. I think that the main reason why I'm vacillating in terms of my rating is the inexplicability of Clementine's family dynamics. I needed more background information or something to help me connect the dots. (view spoiler) ...more
Jessica
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I read Shameless by Lex Martin, I have wanted to gobble up every book she's written. I have only heard good things about Dearest Clementine, so I made sure to get to it as soon as I could!

Clementine Avery has gone through a lot throughout her time in college. She's published a best-selling novel under a pseudonym and she's gone through avoiding a professor who stalked her freshmen year. Now that senior year is here, Clementine has been struggling to write another novel. When she acci
Anne OK
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any one and everyone!
Shelves: 2014-reads
Don’t you just love when a book kidnaps you? Well, I do! And I thoroughly enjoyed every moment spent as a hostage of Clementine and Gavin’s story. I am surprised there aren’t more reviews posted on Goodreads. It’s an absolute must-read in my opinion – whether you’re a fan of New Adult books or not.

Romantic suspense is my first choice in choosing a book every single time. Here, we get a nice blend of well-balanced romance heated with sexual tension that sparks an undying flame, along with a “com
Jacqueline's Reads
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jacqueline's Reads by: Tricia Santos
5 +++++ Happy Smiles Stars

Reading Dearest Clementine not only put a smile on my face, but made my insides warm and fuzzy. I simply loved this book

Clementine is your typical college gal. Sort of. She was recently stalked by her old professor and now she is trying to move forward and work on her second novel.

Gavin, an RA, is helping Clementine with her novel.

Clementine

I liked Clementine. She’s an adorable Heroine with adorable friends. Clementine doesn’t want to go out and she doesn’t date, but he
Fanny
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Descubri este libro hace muy poco tiempo, al principio empece a leerlo pensando que seria la tipica historia de amor en la universidad, pero no, es muchisimo mas, una historia maravillosa que enamora desde el primer parrafo que lees.

Gavin es un protagonista tan dulce, tierno y perfecto que te hace preguntar si existira alguien asi en la vida real, me encanto su caracter divertido y que fuera tan bromista, me rei muchisimo con su ocurrencias.

Clementine fue una protagonista maravillosa, me encanto
Amanda
Tropes: 17

“God, you make me hot when you talk grammar.”

I wish I could partially blame myself for going into this book with hopes too high; I'd heard great things about Dearest Clementine. 'Not like other new adult.' 'Independent heroine.' 'No asshole hero.'

But no, Dearest Clementine is just like all the rest.

Clementine, or Clem, has hardened her heart. After asshole boyfriends in the past, a family that barely acknowledges her these days, she's not keen to trust anyone. Her best friends (and
Anna Banana
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!!

I can't believe I waited so long to read this! I've had this book sitting on my kindle for over a year but once I started reading I couldn't stop. Gavin is as perfect as all the reviews say he is and I actually really love the heroine as well and feel like I can relate to her so much. Her roommates are awesome and I can only hope they all get books as well.

The only thing I didn't like about this book was the miscommunication and the unnecessary drama that happened about halfway throu
✿kawehi.reviews
4.5 stars!!

Meet Clementine Avery:

✓Twin sister to Jax and daughter of estranged high society parents.
✓An accomplished YA author who writes under a pen name to maintain her anonymity to the public.
✓ Has been burned in the field of love
✓ And oh, a hot as sin RA who she wouldn't mind using (and he as well) in the name of research.

But with a student loan and tuition to pay off as well as love and danger lurking in the air, how will everything turn out? Moreover, what will Clementine do when her next
Syndi
Oct 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF.
Can not click with everything. Characters are super confusing. The story build up can not support the characters development.
Lindsay
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-review
Oh my Darling, Oh my Darling,
Oh my Darling Clementine.
You [were] lost and gone forever,
[Oh my Darling], Clementine.

I can't count the number of times that song went through my head as I read.

I serious loved this book. If I had to classify this, I'd call it a New Adult Romantic Suspense. And since I love New Adult, and I love Romantic Suspense, this was right up my alley!

I really liked Clem. She was smart (except for math), snarky with a dark sense of humor, and into book, GR and writing.
Jacqueline
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every time I start a story I hope it will make me feel as good as this one did. This was such a sweet, warm read, I devoured it. I got the warm and fuzzies just from the first base action, the chemistry the author created was amazing.
College senior Clementine is, at the beginning of the story, spiky and icy cold with everyone following a traumatic event in her past. She's unwilling to trust anyone. Gavin gradually breaks through her barriers by being all hot and emerald eyed and messy haired and
Sara
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't for me so I'll keep this simple.Even though the characters are college aged, it had a more YA feel to me. I liked the story in general, but it was slow moving, low on steam and then wrapped up too quickly. Just not for my taste. Clementine was bitchy but I liked her. Not only was screwed over by a boy, she had a professor stalk her, and that storyline just wasn't necessary at all, a bit over the top and not very believable.
My favorite part of this book was Gavin. His texts, his
Deborah
Such a fun college romance read.... Loved it.... Just wish it was longer.... Will definitely be following this author.... Can't wait for the next book in this series!!!!! ( but they are standalone s.... No cliffhanger:))
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
This book is awesome! It deserves to be read by everyone!
We convo-reviewed this on our blog because a lot of us liked it!

NOTE: This is a convo review, so it's noticeable that three people are talking about the book. :)

This review can also be seen here: Musings of the Book-a-holic Fairies

What made you read the book?

MidnightF: Rock Chick Fairy recommended the book to me, so I decided to check it out. Thanks Rock Chick Fairy!

RockChickF: You're most welcome, MidnightF. Before I answer your questio
  • Get Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #6)
  • Say the Word
  • More Than Water (More Than Water, #1)
  • Eyes Turned Skyward (Flight & Glory, #2)
  • With This Heart
  • For Everly
  • Exposure (East Park, #1)
  • Stripped (Stripped, #1)
  • All Lined Up (Rusk University, #1)
  • Running Barefoot
  • Third Degree
  • To Professor, with Love (Forbidden Men, #2)
  • Pieces of Olivia (Charleston Haven, #1)
  • Fuel the Fire (Calloway Sisters, #3; Addicted, #3.1)
  • Love Show
  • Tall, Tatted and Tempting (The Reed Brothers, #1)
  • Redesigned (Off the Subject, #2)
  • Blue Notes: A Book Club Recommendation!
USA Today bestselling author of Reckless, Shameless, and The Dearest Series. I write contemporary romance novels, the sexy kind with lotsa angst, a whole lotta kissing, and the hot happily ever afters.

Newsletter:

Facebook Author Page:

Facebook Group/Lex Martin's Wildcats:

Dearest (3 books)
  • Finding Dandelion (Dearest, #2)
  • Kissing Madeline (Dearest, #3)
“God, you make me hot when you talk grammar.” 49 likes
“I'm tired of being so closed off. It hasn't made me any stronger or braver. It hasn't imparted any wisdom or comfort. It has just made me lonely.” 18 likes