Start by marking “Church History in the Fulness of Times” as Want to Read:
Church History in the Fulness of Times

Church History in the Fulness of Times

This manual covers the historical period of the Church from Joseph Smith to President Gordon B. Hinckley. For institute courses Religion 341, 342, and 343. Also useful for individual and family study.
Kindle Edition
Published May 12th 2014 by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Church History in the Fulness of Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Church History in the Fulness of Times

Start your review of Church History in the Fulness of Times
Semi-Academic Eric
I find interesting, especially, the focus on education, the methods of that education and the effects of that education on/with the early members of the restored Church of Jesus Christ. One can read of how most, but not all, lived the true principles of the gospel. This can be helpful to see how these principles have been applied to real life and have not just remained theory or caught up in debate. I am grateful for the honesty of those who have also shared minor and major failures at trying to ...more
Heidi-Marie
Read about 1/3 of this in my Nauvoo LDS history class. Never got around to the other 2 courses at BYU, but was grateful when my Institute class in VA finished (at top speed) the other 2/3 I hadn't read. I was raised on Church History, and the love for it set early on in me. So I love this book. If I could only keep one of my Institute manuals, this would be it. Of course, it's marked so heavily I don't think anyone else would want it!

I will need an up-to-date version at some point, since this
Tanya
Jan 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, i-own-it
While certainly written to shine a positive light upon the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, this account does not whitewash the darker moments of the church's history. I especially enjoyed the chapters covering the last 50 years, largely because those decades are not generally studied. My only complaint is that the manual is current only up to 2000; I would love to read a history of the last nine years, as well.
Matthew Carlson
Oct 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although lacking in detail on specifics this manual is chocked full of the basic details of LDS Church history. For one who is not seriously interested in history but would nevetheless like to have a good working knowledge of the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints this is would be an excellent choice. Of course, if you want more detail you will have to supplement this volume with other materials.
Gregg B. Jensen
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has great information about the Prophet, Joseph Smith, and the trials he faced in his extraordinary life. It led to my testimony of him and then of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Kaylynn Johnsen
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A comprehensive account of the LDS church. It's all here, anyone can read it. After reading what the pioneers and early members of the church went through I have a deeper appreciation for their sacrifices and their faith.
Lindsay Gassin
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite classes
Debbie Willson
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Though I'm no longer an active Latter Day Saint, I do still enjoy the history and doctrine, this book is a recommended read for any Christian based mind.
Aaron
I wanted to like this book; I really did. I wanted to read church history from the church's official perspective and feel like I had obtained a "faithful" view of our sometimes troubling history. This book almost accomplishes that, but not quite. I think if I had not read church history from so many other sources before reading this, I might have liked this more. But because I know there are issues with how JS translated the Book of Mormon or with whether the church sanctioned the Danites, I was ...more
 Korance Goodwin
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book solidified much of my understanding about the divine origins and importance of the restored Church. If you can get through the stats and facts there are some really amazing miraculous stories of divine intervention. Reading the history makes me so grateful the church survived, and acknowledge how the world has benefited from the continued outpouring of light and truth since.
What was most surprising to me was how unlikely it was that the organization would survive at all. The fierce
Jessie
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church, inspirational, own
My parents were called on an LDS mission to Palmyra which inspired me to delve in further to early church history. Luckily we owned this manuel and I read it allmost cover to cover. The details it gives are some that I had both heard and not heard before. It is well put together and the reading feels less like a manuel and more like a book. I enjoyed reading this immensly and learned a great deal.
Breonne
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a good book overall. Since it is over 600 pages it takes awhile to read and at times I found myself thinking about other things as I read it because it has a ton of facts, definately a manual. I would recommend it to anyone interested in church history and those who want to know a little bit about each prophet.
Faithful
I taught a religious institute class and used this as my syllabus. It has excellent references and topics to explore, particularly with post 19th Century church history. There are, of course, some events and topics that are skimmed over, meaning the book is not 100% comprehensive, but certainly enough.
Michelle
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am glad that I read this book, but sometimes I would find my mind wondering as I read things that were often more statistical then entertaining, I'm certain this is the longest it has ever taken me to finish a book. With all that being said I also recognize I didn't read this book for entertainment value, but rather to further understand the roots and progress of my church.
Becky
Mar 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in addition to the Doctrine and Covenants when I taught this subject in Gospel Doctrine. It was a great help and gave insight as to what was going on during the time of each revelation.
Christy
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading this Church History manuel for the third time, and I'm still impressed with it. You can dip into it anywhere, and come out with new insight into people, places, and events. I highly recommend it.
Beth Bennett
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love history

Learned far more than I thought I would. The research was incredible and it raised more questions I wanted to ask.
Don Gubler
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
Some good stories but mostly secondary information.
Dr.
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
The definitive accurate source for Church History.
Sam
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous book for Church history. There isn't one out there that can match it.
Megan Clark
First half was WAY more interesting than the second half. Glued to the first fourth,skimmed the last fourth.
Abe
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite Church books. Read it 3 times on my mission and loved it each time.
Savanna
Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been fun so far reading the history of our Church. Now the challange will be if I will remember it all when I am done! ;)
Jeniann
Jul 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
I love this book because it gives such a great overall history of the Church
Anna
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous review on everything! Highly recommended for a quick refresher course.
Jeffrey
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
This was the manuel for a religion class at BYU. Good thorough guide of the history of the church.
Kimberly
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The Whole World
gained my testimony reading this
Albert
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended for anyone and everyone.
Brian
Nov 01, 2014

• Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)
  • Virgin River Books 1-4 (Virgin River, #1-4)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action (Myth Adventures, #9)
  • Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #6)
  • Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)
  • Myth-Nomers and Im-Pervections (Myth Adventures, #8)
  • A Cry In The Night
  • The Cradle Will Fall
  • The Complete Phule’s Company Boxed Set
  • Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link (Myth Adventures, #7)
  • Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4)
  • Myth-ing Persons (Myth Adventures, #5)
  • Sweet Myth-Tery of Life (Myth Adventures, #10)
  • Myth-Ion Improbable and Something M.Y.T.H.-Inc.: Double Myth Adventure Edition (Myth Adventures Book 11)
  • Betsy-Tacy (Betsy-Tacy, #1)
  • The Anne of Green Gables Treasury
  • Misadventures with the Boss (Misadventures, #11)

News & Interviews