Start by marking “The Nothing Girl (Frogmorton Farm #1)” as Want to Read:
The Nothing Girl (Frogmorton Farm #1)

The Nothing Girl

(Frogmorton Farm #1)

Jodi Taylor brings all her comic writing skills to this heart-warming tale of self-discovery.

Getting a life isn't always easy. And hanging on to it is even harder...
Known as “The Nothing Girl” because of her severe stutter and chronically low self-confidence, Jenny Dove is only just prevented from ending it all by the sudden appearance of Thomas, a mystical golden horse
Published May 18th 2014 by Accent Press

To ask other readers questions about The Nothing Girl, please sign up.
Y.I. Lee I am also squeamish and would not read anything containing erotica. I also hate bad language and on the whole that was in the bounds of what I could a…moreI am also squeamish and would not read anything containing erotica. I also hate bad language and on the whole that was in the bounds of what I could accept.
I would say the romance in the book is tastefully done, and it happens more towards the end of the story.(less)

Start your review of The Nothing Girl (Frogmorton Farm #1)
Veronique
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Re-read in time for sequel

"Don’t stop believing. Ever. Without belief, there is no hope. And without hope, there is nothing. Always believe and then you’ll always have hope.”

Let’s start by saying that this is a brilliant novel! Yes, brilliant. I can appreciate that the blurb would lead you to probably run for the hill (a talking, invisible, golden horse!?) but put your disbelief on hold just long enough to read the first chapters, and I dare you not to be taken in by the captivating narratio
Tami
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites-misc
Fantastic read - I am kicking myself for having had it months on my kindle waiting.

I loved this story.

It was beautiful. It made me laugh, cry a little, fall in love with Russell and his menagerie, and I couldn't put it down.

It has a romance - sweet and sooooo good. But like with the St.-Mary's-series, this novel is character-driven. And it is rich in fantastic, English characters, banter and sarcasm.

I enjoyed this immensely.
Ian
At the age of 13 Jenny's parents are dead and she's living with her evil aunt, uncle and cousins. With a stutter and low self-esteem she is a bully target at school and home isn't any better. Then just as she's about to end it all a magical horse appears in her room and persuades her to go on.

Thomas becomes her constant companion and her only friend. As the years go by she finds a small niche for herself in the attic with her books and Thomas the horse who nobody but her can see. Then in her la
Bonnie DeMoss
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jenny, orphaned as a young girl, goes to live with her aunt and uncle. She has a pronounced stutter and is set aside as an afterthought by the family. While contemplating suicide at a young age, she is suddenly visited by a giant golden horse, and here Jenny's life actually begins.

This is so well written. The characters just jump off the page, especially Jenny, Russell, and Thomas. Jenny, ignored all her life, begins helping Russell, who has been jilted by the love of his life, renovate his farm
may ❀
Recommended to me by: Antonio

The first half of this book had me like, “what is going on? I don’t get it. WHAT IS THIS BOOK?” I was ready to give up on it, but I’m glad I didn’t. The second half definitely made up for that.

The Nothing Girl follows the life of Jenny, who has a terrible stutter since childhood that has caused her to become somewhat of a social recluse. But after she meets and marries an exuberant Russell (in quite a short amount of time), her mundane life turns into a series of
Emma
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jodi Taylor is without doubt one of my favourite authors. And this was a thoroughly charming book. I LOVED it!
K.J. Charles
A lovely light comic read about a girl brought up to consider herself of no importance, who marries a man she hardly knows because he needs the money. Of course he has a heart of gold, she has a steel core, they pick up a lovely found family including a donkey, romance blossoms, and the whole thing is ridiculously feelgood and made me sniffle at the end. Some laugh-out-loud lines too.

It is very hard to write light comedy with such effortlessness and this is very good indeed. Slightly weird sett
Mburrows
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My heart wept for the little girl. My chest swelled for the grown woman. I would give this book 10 stars if I could. It has touched my soul.
Donna
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun book to read. I'll have to read more by this author. She took every opportunity to add interesting side notes and details without straying off into the land of 'overdone'. Well okay, there was a time or two where it was a little on the wordy side, but I'd rather have that than bland....and this was definitely not that.

I loved the quirky characters, especially Thomas and Russell. They were all well drawn. This was romance wrapped in mystery. Most of you know how I feel about roman
Antonio
The sign of a good book is that you don't want it to finish and this story will be a personal favorite of mine for ever.
Joan
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love chick-lit. It’s easy to read with little emotional involvement on my part, and in a way its rather like an adult fairy tale. There’s the wicked stepmother, (usually an ex-wife/girlfriend etc) the handsome prince (a lonely/repressed/forlorn and definitely handsome man) and a fairy godmother (the best friend etc). There is usually some humour, a touch of romance (not too much .. this is chick-lit not erotica) and they all live happily ever after. Perfect.

So, here was ‘The Nothing Girl’ – fr
Tissy
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it
A strange but interesting read full of witty humour. The ending however sucked.
Rebekah
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In reading The Nothing Girl, I have discovered a fresh funny voice in relationship fiction. And heaven be praised! She has a back list! I already had The first volume of The Chronicles of Saint Marys on my Kindle for some reason, and, to my surprise and excitement, she has written a sequel to The Nothing Girl, which I quickly bought as well. Hopefully she will fulfill the promise of the first book I read by her. I laughed, I cheered, I cried, I sighed in satisfaction.
I always thought donkeys sai
Nigel
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having enjoyed some St Mary's stories I thought I'd look at this and downloaded a sample. Read the blurb, decided it really wasn't for me but I wanted something to read for 10 mins before I went to sleep...

This really shouldn't work - Jenny, who has the self esteem of a tea bag!) has a "friend" in the shape of a large horse who no one else can see, touch or hear. She moves from one dysfunctional setting to another among people who are funny, unpleasant or somewhat mad or maybe all three in some
k
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Weird but cute and a bit annoying but still, cute.
Jacey
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance, fantasy
I’ve burned through all Jodi Taylor’s back catalogue this year – her Chronicles of St Marys’ books and her historical fiction under the name of Isabella Barclay– but since I mostly read SF and historicals I hadn’t considered reading The Nothing Girl. At first glance it looked like chick-lit, which I’m not fond of, however, I’ve loved all of Ms Taylor’s writing so thought I should give it a try. I’m not disappointed. Having read and thoroughly enjoyed it, I’m not actually sure how to categorise i ...more
Jill Starley-grainger
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Allie
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jodi Taylor has never let me down!
Janice
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scribd, 2018
I read most of this book during one night of insomnia. It's POSSIBLE that reading the book kept me awake too.

Anybody that reads my reviews know I don't like romance or most love stories. This one was different enough not to trip my "is this a KISSING book???" radar.

Jenny is a shy, stuttering young woman who has been reared by her aunt and uncle after her parents are killed in a car crash. Through a somewhat unlikely series of events, she ends up married to the Manic Pixie Dream Boy, Russell. It
Gina Boyd
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I want to be friends with Jodi Taylor. I love the worlds and characters she creates, and I want to hang out with her so she can tell me stories and make me laugh.

Someone mentioned that Taylor's main characters have a tinge of the Mary Sue about them, and even brought Bella Swan into the mix, but I don't think that's the case at all. Max (of the St. Mary's books) and Jenny are unhappy people who find their ways to happier lives by finding the place where they can be their best selves; I don't thi
Laura de Leon

I loved this book.

I adored Jenny. Thomas the invisible golden horse was my favorite character of the year. The book was funny and heart warming and heart breaking and just generally lovely.

I dinged it a quarter of a star for one portion near the end where I obviously misunderstood what was going on, and Jenny's behavior made no sense. I dinged it another quarter star for some of Russell's character flaws that I personally couldn't have gotten past very easily.
Navjeet
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I wasn't really motivated to read this book but wow did it surprise me. I loved the simple storyline and how each character was so unique. And then there was always Russell to keep on my toes.
PS. That feeling when you find a book you love is a series and the next book comes out the day after you've finished the previous book!
Fern Adams
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do feel slightly guilty that I completely judged this book before reading it and got it so wrong. It’s fantastic! Jodi Taylor cannot write badly and even makes invisible horses completely plausible!
I don’t want to say too much as it gives a lot a way but this is worth reading (and then reading again at least a few more times immediately).
Louise
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found this book on my kindle. The first couple of pages, I wasn't convinced I would like the story but within a few more pages I was hooked. A number of funny moments. Definitely a light read which was worth the time.
Jessica Howard
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Surprising. And surprisingly good for a book I've never heard of! Lovely English accents on audio.
Lady Delacour
Step into the world of
The Nothing Girl and
enjoy an unusual adventure.
This is a well written. laugh out loud,
make you cry, fictional, fantasy,
with a little romance - story.
Narrator Lucy Price-Lewis did a nice job.
Not Clean but, tastefully funny.
Small amount of foul language.
Deb
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another absolutely fabulous book by Jodi Taylor!
Stephanie
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So I don't know what I was expecting here, but it wasn't this.
The story of a marginalized woman, who comes into her own and conquers her demons.
I really enjoyed it and am seriously looking forward to the sequel.
Jamie
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Nothing Girl is my first novel by Jodi Taylor, and was introduced to me by one of my favorite authors. After reading the small sample provided, I was intrigued. I'm glad I stuck with it because I found a funny and quirky read with lovable characters, and even a bit of mystery.

Summary:
Jenny Dove has been known as "The Nothing Girl" for quite some time. With her low self-esteem and severe stutter, she saw no way out of a miserable life with dead parents. At age thirteen she is only just preven
Shorty
I adore this novel. If you haven’t read Jodi Taylor, please start now. Pick up any one of her three series and have a go at it. I promise that you won’t be disappointed. I’m going to purchase this ebook ASAP.
5 stars, and highly recommend to all.

• A Bachelor Establishment
  • The Pearl King (Crow Investigations, #4)
  • The Quantum Curators and the Fabergé Egg
  • The Fox's Curse (Crow Investigations, #3)
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • In the Red Corner (Operation Jigsaw #3)
  • Time Tourist Outfitters, Ltd.
  • Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection
  • The Dance of the Serpents (Frey & McGray, #6)
  • Winter Dark
  • Come Again
  • A Serpent in Paradise (Tom Morton #4)
  • Another Place to Die (Tom Morton #2)
  • The Silver Mark (Crow Investigations, #2)
  • Green for Danger (Operation Jigsaw #2)
  • French Leave (King's Watch #4)
  • Six Furlongs (The Kings Watch #8)
Jodi Taylor is, and always has been, a complete history nut. It takes vast amounts of chocolate to get her out of bed for anything after 1485. And if it's raining, there's no chance.

Habitually tongue-tied when asked to talk about herself, she gets round this by describing herself as tall, incredibly beautiful, witty and technically proficient.

The Chronicles of St Mary's -

Just One Damned Thing Aft

Frogmorton Farm (2 books)
  • The Something Girl (Frogmorton Farm, #2)