Start by marking “Iguana Love” as Want to Read:
Iguana Love

Iguana Love

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Ramona Romano isn't into drugs, but all the same, she has her addiction: adventure.

Separated from her husband, she tries scuba diving to feed her addiction. Then bodybuilding. And along the way, there's one man who grows into more of a challenge than all her other endeavors: dark and smoldering Enzo. And he leads her into deeper waters than she's prepared to fathom . . .

Ig
Published September 20th 2000 by Minotaur Books (first published October 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Iguana Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iguana Love

Lynda
Do you ever wish you could erase that addiction, that obsession, that entire phase in your life where you lost touch with reality? Lost it to something/someone that gave you that adrenaline rush that you thought was real?

Most of us do, for surely the pain we have gone through filling the void where our addiction once so significantly stood, has been soul-wrenching. We think we’re over it – we sit there smiling at our lives, looking at family and friends with admiration and gratitude, cherishing
Andrew Smith
Romona escapes the cold and gloom of Michigan for the warmth and sun of Florida. Climate dealt with, her next task is to bring some excitement into her life – and she wastes no time. Her devoted husband is pretty much already history, and there’s plenty of entertainment (of the nocturnal, adult variety) to be sourced amongst the scuba divers who inhabit the local bars. And all this happens within the first few pages!

This is a quick read. Quick as in fast paced but also in terms of the speed at w
Cathy DuPont
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A talented writer, Vicki Hendricks, lives in Hollywood, Florida. A few years ago I was on a quest to read only Florida based writers; there turned out to be many more than I expected. I ended up reading a number of short stores (love short stories) by Hendricks and found out she was a student of James W. Hall, one of my favorite writers, who teaches creative writing at Florida International University in Miami. I really enjoyed Hendricks off-beat writing.

Goodreads friend Jackson Burnett recomme
Jackson Burnett
If Iguana Love had been written by a lesser author, it would have been a disaster -- a strange story line, an unlikeable narrator, and scenes that are both harrowing and painful. Vicki Hendricks, though, turns it into a tour de force.

Iguana Love isn't for timid readers. It remains and haunts.
Angela
Jan 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vicki Henricks writes weird creepy noir novels that are shocking and sometimes disturbing. Iguana Love is no different. Romona Romano has lots of issues, bad marriage,obsession with diving and body building.She becomes attracted to the wrong guy and her life gets much much worse.The end is not a happy one. Still a good read.
Dave
Iguana Love is an amazing, compelling work. Stripped down to its essence, it's the story of someone who is bored by her mundane existence and seeks something or someone to fill her up literally and figuratively. It's a descent step by step letting go of all that matters in life to become something else - someone who has given their soul over. It starts with pursuing excitement such as deep sea diving and thrills in bed and ends up turning her into a gym rat with out of control hormones who lets ...more
Chris
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable Florida noir, darker and more brutal than Harry Crews - will certainly look out for her other novels as she delivers a quite savage and a-moral read.
Guy Salvidge
Hendricks' second novel is about sex and scuba diving. The crime fiction element only gets going in the final third. This is neither good nor bad, in my view. The ending is pretty good, but not as strong as the author's first. Even though I've rated them both three stars, I think I slightly preferred Miami Purity. I have Hendricks' third, Voluntary Madness, to re-read, but I'm not sure I can be bothered with that immediately.
Pete
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is my third Vicki Hendricks. I loved Miami Purity and, even more, Cruel Poetry (LOVED Rennie). But I'm struggling with Iguana Love. Ramona can't walk into a seafood restaurant without feeling a tingle between her legs. She's an X-rated cartoon.
Velma
Jul 31, 2014 marked it as tbr-someday-maybe  ·  review of another edition
..."weird, creepy noir"... yes, please!
John Weagly